Feelin a bit Froggy

Whats up smogon, Jmoolah here with another rmt. This one is based around my two favorite frogs, poli and toxicroak, and aims to pull off mid to late game sweeps with croak and thunderus-t. So without further ado, heres the squad!

Clydefrog (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song

My beloved clydefrog is here to bring the rain, and he can tank a few hits with his defensive evs, helping me win the weather war. Toxic is for opposing water types and can help wear down walls, and perish song is my only way of phazing, and can come in handy late game when i have more pokes than my opponent. Defensive evs for survivability, as my team relies on rain to be successful. Politoad makes it rain on them hoes plain and simple.

synergy
electric-thunderus, landorus, ferrothorn
grass- thunderus, ferrothorn, toxicroak

Thundercat (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Agility
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Thunderus-t is beastly. He covers toxicroaks weaknesses of flying and ground really well, and he is perfect to switch in against pokes like tornadus, jolteon, skarmory and the like, causing the opponent to switch and then agilityizing (lol). Thunder and hidden power are there for boltbeam, and focus miss is for terrakion and tyranitar. I might switch focus tits for grass knot, but im not sure if it helps me cover more threats. Ive thought of using zapdos, but thundercat is just a bit faster and better late game, and volt absorb is a plus.

synergy
ice-politoed, starmie
rock-ferrothorn, toxicroak

Lemmiwinks (Toxicroak) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Lemmiwinks is the star of the show. His dark ice and fighting coverage hits a lot of pokes hard, especially after a swords dance. His useful resistances to water, fighting, bug, grass and fire all come in real handy, and he ussually has no problem getting in and boosting. Sucker punch nukes psychics and ghosts, and is a ohko after a sd on tornadus-t who think that they can switch in and hurricane me. Overall, croak is a sick ass late game sweeper, and the coolest frog ever.

synergy
psychic-ferrothorn, starmie
flying-thunderus, starmie
ground-thunderus, landorus

Tommy Prickles (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is here to provide some sdef for the team, and he takes a lot of hits thanks to his great resistances. He is my main counter for pokes like rotom-w, gastroden and swapert, and spikes support are essential in wearing my opponents down. Thunderwave also helps to stop fast sweepers in there tracks. I might switch up ferros evs to make him more specially defensive, and im also considering changing his set and putting in leech seed or protect to give him some survivablity, since i always seem to sack him a bit earlier than I want to.

synergy
fire-starmie, toxicroak, politoed
fighting-thunderus, landorus, toxicroak

Land Hoe (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Landorus-t is the best defensive pivot in the game right now. With solid bulk, resistances and intimidate, he is a great defensive wall. I ussually lead with him and set up stealth rock and u-turn out to politoed. Eq and stone edge have great coverage, and he actually hits pretty hard, and can ohko dragonite and mence after sr. Landy is a monster, but i feel like gliscor could work just as good, if not better in this spot.

ice-starmie, politoed
water-starmie, politoed, toxicroak, ferrorthorn

Patrick (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump

Finally, in order to get thunderus-t in safely, i knew i needed rapid spin, and starmie has never let me down. Patrick makes for a great revenge killer late game thanks to his great speed, and he works as a good status absorber too. I want to fit psyshock in there somewhere, but im not too sure what to get rid off, maybe ice beam, since my team has a lot of ice attacks.

synergy
dark-ferrothorn, toxicroak
ghost-ferrothorn
bug-thunderus, landorus, toxicroak
electric-thunderus, landorus, ferrothorn
grass-ferrothorn, thunderus, toxicroak

So thats the team! It ussually works pretty well through some good ol predicting and switching, but often times i struggle against other rain teams and hyper offense teams, since my defensive options are somewhat lacking. Also, i really want to find a spot to put a phazer, as baton pass can fuck me over, and perish song on politoed just isnt enough. I also want to try to fit in a spinblocker somewhere, but i dont know where, but hazards being up are essential for me to pull off important kos.

importable:
PHP:
Thundercat (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Agility
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Clydefrog (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song

Lemmiwinks (Toxicroak) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Tommy Prickles (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Land Hoe (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Patrick (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump

One thing I see that is kind of a big problem is that your not running adamant nature on your landorus-T which is missing you out on OHKOs on Dragonite after stealth rock damage with stone edge so that is something that I would definitely change. Landorus is bulky enough without the few extra def boosts from the defensive nature

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi, this seems to be a cool Rain team and a nice froggy theme :)
So here I go for the rate !

These are the weaknesses I can see :

- First, an opposing Starmie can be really annoying for your team, the only thing you can do is switch to Ferrothorn and Power Whip him, this comes from the fact that the rest of your team is slow, and gets killed by any of Starmie's moves.

- You are Terrakion weak. Well, Starmie is here, but let's say the Terrakion is Scarfed for instance, each time he comes, he gets a kill. Politoed has issues tanking CC from a Terrakion, and you will need him to stay alive to win the weather war.

- You're also weak to any powerful Scarfer, because your team is slow, any Scarfer with decent coverage like Latios will be a massiv threat to your team.

- Having only Thundurus-T as answer to Tornadus-T is not enough, because he can't switch in, and basically it means that you'll have to sacrifice a pokemon each time a Tornadus-T comes in.

- You lack some firepower. Starmie is the only pokemon able to hit hard (with Landorus-T but he's slow, and weak under Rain)

- You have some issues when you don't control the weather, especially against Sun Teams, I don't see who can stop a Venusaur for instance.

It seems to be a lot of weaknesses no?
Don't worry, they most of the time come from the same thing : you lack some speed !
Your team is some kind of Bulky offense, and you're slow, since you're not totally defensive, you're open to a lot of threats, and because you got no Scarf user, all these threats are pretty free to play with your team.

Here are my changes !

First I would change Ferrothorn to a CB set.

This may seem strange at first glance, but this set is terribly powerful. Mark my words.
It can stop a Sub/CM Jirachi easily, while here, your Ferrothorn is a set-up bait. Moreover the combination of both Gyro Ball and ThunderWave isn't something I would recommend.
Finally, you don't need so much these Spikes.

Now, I would switch Starmie to a more offensive set !

Indeed, your Starmie is not focused enough. You definitely need this coverage, but you don't want a weak Starmie. In the end your Starmie can't do all he should be doing and this is sad !
A more offensive Starmie will be able to spam Hydro Pump under Rain, beat CB Tyranitar versions and many of the usual Starmie counters (think about Scizor, now you just 0HKO it, for instance with your set you can't 0HKO a Bulky Scizor under Rain).
It's a little unfortunate that you don't use Psychock, but well, if you need the coverage of Bolt/Beam I can understand (that's a little annoying to rely on the shaky accuracy of HydroPump to beat Gengar or Terrakion for instance).

Finally, I'd change Landorus-T for Tornadus-T

Pretty classic, I feel like Landorus-T is a bit out of place, I don't see really what he does beside putting SR. You'll be a "little" weak to Electric moves, but since you got Ferrothorn and Thundurus-T I don't really think this is terrible. You cover Thundurus-T and Jirachi CM, so you should not have too many issues for the Thunder matter.

However this is not "any Tornadus-T" that I will advice you !
Indeed, it may look like something totally classic, but here is a set, that I really love and ...
totally UNKNOWN.

Scarf Tornadus-T !

I feel like explaining a little what it is, I used it to bait and kill Scarf Keldeo during the suspect, moreover it outspeeds Latios, Venusaur and many threats of your team. The cheer power of Hurricane and the pivoting force that Tornadus-T can bring to your team is in my opinion absolutly incredible. You also kill Scarf Terrakion by the way, that was a threat I mentionned before... And you beat the other Tornadus-T WITH NO SPEED TIE ! God, this saved me so many times (like with Scarf Keldeo).
This set, and the Starmie's one is my very own set, be proud to use it :>

Sets :

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
Iron Barbs
Brave Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
0 IV Speed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Bulldoze
- Stealth Rocks

Starmie @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
Timid Nature
112 HP / 180 SpA / 216 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- ThunderBolt
- Rapid Spin

Tornadus-T @ Choice Scarf
Regenerator
Timid Nature
88 HP / 248 SpA / 172 Spe
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-Turn
- Sleep Talk / Rain Dance

I hope that I helped, good luck with your team !

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Hi there. looking at your team i see that its already solid, but it has some few weakness hard to fix. For example, Sheer force Landorus after a Rock polish can be problematic thanks to its coverage of Earth power/ Hidden power ice/ Focus blast. Also Mamoswine can 2ko all your team without problems with Earth quake / superpower / Ice shard. i Also see a general weakness to Ninetales and sunny team in general, indeed politoed cant switch on it safely deu to will-o-wisp or SUnny day, Toxicroak is unriealable due to its ability, Thundurus has his main stab with a bad accuracy, Ferrothorn is koed by any fire move under sun, Starmie cant do anything with Hydro pump. Also Tornadus-t can be problematic since Thundurus-t is 2koed, anyway you can setup on it so if you play carefully you can beat it.

Now i would like to suggest a modest nature on thundurus-t. The reason is that after an agility you are going to outspeed everything anyway so the power up can be nice. Also i would like to put a jolly Nature on Toxicroak with this spread EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd so that you can outspeed and kill Mamoswine, because with a jolly nature it can outspeed you otherwhise.

As for Tornadus-t , Sunny teams and Sheer force landorus i have a suggestion but i frankly dont know where to put it. Im talking about Scarf Latios, since it can outspeed the majority of venusaur as well as being a nice switch in for ninetales, it can also revenge kill Tornadus-t and take an hp ice from Landorus. I think that Starmie should be the slot to change, but since you will lose your spinner i understand if you wont make this change.

Latios (in case you need it):
(Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder
- Trick

Modest > Timid on thundurus
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd > 252 / 252 on Toxicroak
Jolly > Adamant on Toxicroak

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Jmoolah, nice team!

First of all, I think your lack of revenge killer really lets you down. There are multiple threats to this team that only need to weaken a few of your pokemon a bit and then they can pull off a sweep that you're helpless to stop, there are also a few pokemon that just outspeed and do massive damage to everything on your team that you really need to watch out for. One of these dangerous sweepers is Volcarona, it can only really pull off a sweep if it comes in on Toxicroak, but if it does manage to do so then you're in for a world of hurt. Rain Volcarona outspeeds and OHKOs almost your entire team at +1 with Fire Blast / Hurricane / Bug Buzz, it only needs a little bit of preliminary damage on a few of your pokemon and then it's gg. Sun Volcarona is dangerous too, if you lose the weather war and Volcarona gets to +1 (which it can also do against Thundurus-T now if it misses Thunder) it's gg right then and there, as sun-boosted Fire Blast destroys everything, and it has Bug Buzz or Giga Drain for Starmie if it's healthy. Tornadus-T is a huge problem for your team, your only Flying resist is Thundurus-T who has no recovery and is meant to be one of your main sweepers. Tornadus-T also outspeeds your entire team. This allows it to just spam Hurricane against your team with no worry of being revenge killed. The list of threats goes on. To help remedy the situation I suggest running a Choice Scarf Landorus-I over your current Landorus-T. This would help you immensely against multiple huge threats, as you can now outspeed Tornadus-T, +1 Volcarona, etc. The extra speed also helps you against your weakness to sun because you outspeed more threats. The loss of your defensive pivot is unfortunate, but a Choice Scarfer will benefit the effectiveness of your team moreso than a defensive pivot does.

You obviously lose Stealth Rock with this change, so I suggest running Stealth Rock over Gyro Ball or Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn. Having the two on the same set is pretty redundant in the first place, Gyro Ball hits harder the faster they are, but you're just slowing them down with Thunder Wave, essentially just weakening the power of Gyro Ball.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team :)

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)