Feraligatr (OU Aqua Jet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I go on with the analysis, I'm posting this here because my experience with this set is in the OU metagame, and I do actually think that this set has the most potential in the OU since there are far fewer Grass types in the OU as opposed to the UU. This set along with Dual Screen Magnezone has won me some matches, and I have saved some battles if anyone is curious to see some examples of this set being used effectively. Gyarados is usually cited as the Pokemon that outclasses Gatr, but on my team, I've been using BOTH this Gatr and Subbounce Gyarados, and I've found Gatr considerably more effective at getting in and setting up for a lategame sweep.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/feraligatr

[SET]

Name: Aqua Jet
Move 1: Aqua Jet
Move 2: Swords Dance
Move 3: Return/Dragon Claw
Move 4: Substitute/Waterfall
Item: Leftovers/Muscle Band/Mystic Water
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 attack, 4 SpD

[Set Comments]

<p>With the advent of HGSS, Feraligatr has yet another option available that distinguishes it from Gyarados. Aqua Jet is used in conjunction with Swords Dance on this set to bypass Feraligatr's mediocre speed and make it a formidable mid to late game sweeper.</p>

<p>Using this set is fairly straightforward. As speed is not a top priority for this Pokemon, EVs are invested into HP to provide some extra general durability. Thanks to Feraligatr's respectable bulk and lack of a 4x weakness compared to its Flying counterpart Gyarados, it shouldn't be too hard to find an opportunity to switch in Feraligatr safely, Swords Dance, and start pummeling your opponent with STAB Aqua Jets. If your opponent switches, it may be in fact possible for Feraligatr to get two Swords Dances depending on what their counter is.</p>

<p>Return is chosen as the primary option for your second attack, as only Empoleon, Shedinja, and Dialga resist the combination of Water/Normal coverage. Factoring Intimidate, Swords Dance boosted Return does 57.7% minimum to Offensive Dragon Dance Gyarados, a guaranteed 2HKO even factoring possible Leftovers recovery. Dragon Claw may be considered over Return for scoring a super effective hit on Dragons who resist Aqua Jet, usually OHKOing offensive versions of Salamence and Dragonite after boosted by Swords Dance especially if Stealth Rock is in play. It is worth noting that with Stealth Rock in play, using Return + Torrent boosted Aqua Jet also KOs most Salamence (factoring Intimidate) and Dragonite after one Swords Dance.</p>

Timid Life Orb Gengar for instance only does 83.4-98.9% maximum damage to this Feraligatr with Thunderbolt, which means you have a 67% chance of surviving the attack if you switch into Stealth Rock, gain a turn of leftovers recovery as they switch to Gengar, and then attack you. At this point you may have amassed two Swords Dances, while Feraligatr is capable of OHKOing Gengar with a 2+ Aqua Jet boosted by Torrent (which does the same damage as a 4+ Aqua Jet without the Torrent boost). Timid Jolteon is also slain by 2+ Aqua Jet boosted by Torrent, but you have to be wary that Jolteon using Specs or Life Orb have a guaranteed 1HKO with Thunderbolt.

<p>This set works best when provided with Dual Screen support, which Magnezone can provide, and it is through Dual Screens that Feraligatr best distinguishes itself from Gyarados. Unlike Gyarados, he doesn't have a 4x weakness to Electric moves, and instead of a (Stealth) Rock weakness, he has a less common Grass weakness, and since this set doesn't care nearly as much about speed as other sets without Aqua Jet, durability can get more attention. With an HP investment, this Feraligatr is only slightly less bulky than Gyarados on the special spectrum, but takes hits from Thunderbolt considerably better. Timid Specs Jolteon still OHKOs Offensive Dragon Dance Gyarados even with Dual Screens active, while this Feraligatr survives under Dual Screens with around 24.25-35.85% health. Factoring Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, this puts you in Torrent range and allows a guaranteed OHKO with a 2+ Aqua Jet. Assuming that your opponent lacks very powerful super effective attacks to threaten you, or that they need to switch in order to bring in a counter to this set, Feraligatr should have fairly little trouble amassing two or even three Swords Dances.</p>

<p>Leftovers is the preferred item on this set to provide more leeway to use Substitute freely and provide overall more bulk and thus more opportunities to use Swords Dance, especially if Sandstorm (or Hail) is active and chipping away at your health. You definitely don't want the chip damage from weather ruining your Torrent boosted 6+ Aqua Jet sweep. Muscle Band or Mystic Water however are decent item choices if the weather and/or extra durability are not a big problem for you and may very well be worth consideration especially on a Rain team, where a +4 Aqua Jet boosted by both Torrent and Mystic Water has a slight chance of OHKOing a full health Skarmory under the rain.</p>

<p>This set will encounter some problems against bulky users of Roar/Whirlwind that do not get 1HKOed by your boosted attacks, so it is in your best interest to have these opponents weakened or removed to ensure that they do not stop your sweep. Under normal weather conditions, Skarmory for example is only 3HKOed by 2+ Aqua Jet boosted by Torrent, and even a 6+ Torrent Boosted Aqua Jet only manages 78.1% maximum damage on the Spiker set. Physically Defensive Zapdos takes 93.2 max damage from a 6+ Torrent Aqua Jet or 89.6% - 105.5% from Return, which requires Stealth Rock to secure a reliable 1HKO.</p>

SpDef should be SpD else it messes up the damage calc.

where a +4 Aqua Jet boosted by both Torrent and Mystic Water has a slight chance of 1HKOing a full health Skarmory.
this should be 0HKO, I think.

Also, while you say water-noraml has excellent neutral coverage, you don't mention what stops it - empoleon. You need a counters paragraph, too.

Thanks for the input, editing it.

As for Empoleon, he's usually used more offensively than Skarmory, so on the SubPetaya set, even though he resists Aqua Jet, he actually takes more damage from it than Skarmory, I thought I would point out. The Defensive Penguin Set I guess can tank Aqua Jet better.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean I really don't see how this is any better than the SubDance set that is already on the site. With that, you get a +1 in speed, you hit harder with Waterfall, you can actually use Return as well and you are guaranteed for Torrent to activate. The only advantage you have is Aqua Jet, which I don't find helpful at all and with leftovers, you have a much harder time subbing down to Torrent boosts because your gaining HP. I don't think I would ever ever use your set tbh. Unless you can argue why its completely necessary to run priority, I don't see this being passed

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Format the set correctly.

Also, get rid of the fluff about its dex description, as that is entirely unnecessary.

Put the "how to play" in the additional comments.

You're also missing a Team Options section.

I mean I really don't see how this is any better than the SubDance set that is already on the site. With that, you get a +1 in speed, you hit harder with Waterfall, you can actually use Return as well and you are guaranteed for Torrent to activate. The only advantage you have is Aqua Jet, which I don't find helpful at all and with leftovers, you have a much harder time subbing down to Torrent boosts because your gaining HP. I don't think I would ever ever use your set tbh. Unless you can argue why its completely necessary to run priority, I don't see this being passed
+1 speed still gets outsped by a lot. That set does considerably worse against Gengar, Jolteon, and pretty much anything with a Choice Scarf that has reasonable offense. Substitute is also on this set to aid in getting into Torrent range when necessary, but really alone doesn't help you get Swords Dance boosts very effectively if your opponent uses Thunderbolt/Grass Knot.

Leftovers helps you survive longer under Sandstorm most importantly, which is pretty common. Because you don't need to invest in speed as much, this set is considerably more bulky than other Gatr sets and thus is more reliable at gaining Swords Dance boosts.

*will get to editing tomorrow morning if this is still open*

So I should do some more damage calculations to explain what OU stuff Feraligatr survives by running more HP huh?

Well for starters I cranked out some numbers...something like Timid Life Orb Gengar, while at full health and full HP investment Gatr does barely survive Thunderbolt and 1HKO with 2+ Aqua Jet, if I use a spread like 192-166-0-0-152-0 on Gatr, he can switch into Stealth Rock, Swords Dance, and get a guaranteed OHKO on Gengar (factoring Life Orb) with Aqua Jet while being guaranteed to survive Thunderbolt with at least 1 HP. I wonder what I should be doing now (aside from other arrangement edits).

ive tested it and it works alright, but i had more success with dragon claw over return, since it provides the same coverage as water/normal, but gets the super effective hit against the many dragons in ou. It does have less power than retun on neutral pokemon though. I think it should at least be mentioned as another option

Hmmmm, those are all very interesting points.

I do think Substitute has priority over Waterfall since it helps you scout status and provide a buffer against stuff andbring down your health when the opponent does nothing else, but yeah. I guess it's worth adding.

As for Dragon Claw, I do see how it can be useful. When I played Feraligatr against Dragon switch ins, usually I would KO them with Return + Aqua Jet, which somewhat relies on being put in Torrent range from my experience.

Return however should be the primary option, since most of the stuff that gives this set trouble are walls that have roar/whirlwind which aren't weak to Aqua Jet (or Dragon Claw for that matter). Against Pokemon like Zapdos and Swampert, it is the most damaging option.

Why Dragon Claw over Ice Punch?

Ice Punch will hit almost every dragon harder bar Latias and Kingdra which I think is worth it.

Well the only problem with this set is that empoleon can easily block Fealigatr, but hey every set have it's flaws right. Personally I tried out the set to and it's working out fine, the only thing I have a problem with is with substitute, it doesn't really serve a role :/

Why Dragon Claw over Ice Punch?

Ice Punch will hit almost every dragon harder bar Latias and Kingdra which I think is worth it.
Now that you mention it, Ice Punch is in fact better against Skarmory and Zapdos as well, not to mention any Grass types.

However, that will give you a lot of problems against other Water types. Having Starmie and Vaporeon utterly wall this set is not fun.

What if over Substitute/Waterfall you could just go

Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Return
Ice Punch

Sub would be good for stopping status but anything that's gonna wall it is going to break the sub anyway

Well, Empoleon isn't gonna typically be around in UU where Feraligatr lurks, so I don't see that as too much of a problem.

My question is, are there any things that resist Aqua Jet that Feraligatr will want to be outspeeding? If so then it might be worth throwing a couple of those HP EVs into Speed. If not, *shrug* oh well.

Now that you mention it, Ice Punch is in fact better against Skarmory and Zapdos as well, not to mention any Grass types.

However, that will give you a lot of problems against other Water types. Having Starmie and Vaporeon utterly wall this set is not fun.
I'm not too familiar with the OU tier, but wouldn't Starmie just end up Thunderbolting you for the kill since it's faster and resists your priority move? Return will also hit Gatr's counters harder, so I don't know why you'd use that as a reason to use Dragon Claw. Ice Punch provides much better coverage and is only slightly weaker.

The way I played this set, it was to abuse Dual Screens which gives me the opportunity to more safely use Swords Dance in case they switch to a counter. Starmie never really gave me problems as long as I was able to set up under screens, since I could usually kill him off with Return and Aqua Jet. This is something Gyarados cannot do since his 4x weakness to electric is too much for him to survive long enough to set up.

The real counters to this set are walls like Skarmory and Zapdos which pretty much don't die and can Roar you out, and the latter has a very powerful Thunderbolt that can take off over 50% of your health even under Screens.

Well, Empoleon isn't gonna typically be around in UU where Feraligatr lurks, so I don't see that as too much of a problem.

My question is, are there any things that resist Aqua Jet that Feraligatr will want to be outspeeding? If so then it might be worth throwing a couple of those HP EVs into Speed. If not, *shrug* oh well.
He mentioned this Gatr set is meant for OU.

As for your second statement, here goes:

- 28 speed EVs is needed for Baton Pass Vaporeon and Cleric Dancer Dragonite.
- 40 speed EVs is needed to outspeed bulky Rest Talk Gyarados.
- 60 speed EVs is needed for Calm Mind Shuffle Suicune.
- 64 speed EVs is needed for CroCune Suicune, RestTalk Suicune and Support Dragonite.
- 148 speed EVs is needed to outspeed SporePunch Breloom.
- 212 speed EVs is needed to outspeed Tinkerbell Celebi and Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados.
- 216 speed EVs is needed to outspeed Defensive Celebi.
- 220 speed EVs is needed to outspeed MixNite Dragonite and Choice Specs Dragonite.

I left out lead sets because I'm guessing this Gatr is probably meant for late game, and leads don't usually last that long.

The way I played this set, it was to abuse Dual Screens
Fair enough, but Dragon Claw is still weaker than Return, so using it is only really beneficial for Latias and Kingdra. Otherwise, Ice Punch/Return would be a better option.

This sounds like the SubDance set, except the only big difference is that it has aqua jet over waterfall. It pretty much trades the extra power and flinching chance of waterfall for the priority aqua jet.

You can't flinch anything you don't outspeed so...

This set is also much more bulky than the standard SubDance set and thus can take more hits from more things, which is REALLY emphasized with screen support when Unstabbed Thunderbolts fail to 2HKO this Gatr. It's much better against Choice Scarfs and Jolteon and annihilates a lot of fast but frail Pokemon if they don't OHKO you.

This sounds like the SubDance set, except the only big difference is that it has aqua jet over waterfall. It pretty much trades the extra power and flinching chance of waterfall for the priority aqua jet.
And some bulk, I guess. The only real advantage this set has over the DD set is priority (and the previously mentioned bulk), but with the speed boost gained from DD, it's largely moot. +1 Waterfall is also just as strong as +4 Aqua Jet. In terms of attacking, it's only advantage is against slower priority users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)