Feraligatr (QC 1/3)

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Overview
########

• One of the best setup sweeper in NU.
  • Swords Dance + STAB Aqua Jet is really nice.
  • Not that hard to set up thanks to its typing and to its bulk.
  • its GATR

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Ice Punch / Return
ability: Torrent
item: Lum Berry / Mystic Water
evs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Swords Dance.
  • Waterfall is used as it is Feraligatr's most reliable STAB.
  • Aqua Jet for priority.
  • Ice Punch let Feraligatr hits Grass-types as hard as possible.
  • Return has better neutral coverage, but doesn't break Grass-types as well as Ice Punch.

Set Details
========

• 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe to outspeed Max Speed base 55s and uninvested base 80s.
  • 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe to outspeed Max Speed base 65s.
  • 64 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe to outspeed Max Speed base 70s.
  • Lum Berry to prevent Will-O-Wisp, Toxic (Toxic Spikes), or Thunder Wave from crippling Feraligatr.
  • Mystic Water to make Waterfall and Aqua Jet more powerful, but Feraligatr will need to be more careful when setting up. <- Best item if Feraligatr has Healing Wish Support.

Usage Tips
========

• Set up Swords Dance when given the opportunity and start breaking through.
  • Use Aqua Jet to pick off any faster threats that might be able to OHKO Feraligatr.
  • Use coverage when necessary.

Team Options
========

• ENTRY HAZARDS. Crustle, Garbodor, Rhydon, Qwilfish, Roselia, Seismitoad, Accelgor, Ferroseed, etc. Feraligatr works well on both offense and balance so depending on the team any Spikes user work.
  • Mesprit is a fantastic partner for Feraligatr as it can easily punch holes in the opponent's team thans to its vast movepool. It can even set up Stealth Rock and use Knock Off to cripple physically defensive walls such as Ferroseed and Seismitoad to make it easier for Feraligatr to break through. Healing Wish is also really amazing when used along with Feraligatr as few Pokemon can handle a Feraligatr twice.
  • Grass-types themself are great partners to Feraligatr as they can easily take on opponent's Water-types, and hit opponent's Grass-types with their coverage. Vileplume, Lilligant, Sceptile, and Leafeon all work well.
  • Any Pokemon that can handle Poliwrath, Vileplume, Ferroseed, Seismitoad, and faster Grass-types will work well with Feraligatr.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Torrent
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Dragon Dance lets Feraligatr outspeed every Pokemon below base 125 Speed at +1.
  • Waterfall is used as it is its most reliable STAB.
  • Ice Punch for Grass- and Dragon-types. coverage.
  • Earthquake is used to hit things such as Lanturn, Dragalge, and Water-types harder. coverage.

Set Details
========

• 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant to outspeed most of the tier at +1 (outspeeds Sceptile, but miss by 1 pts Swellow). Also outspeeds as much stuff as possible before a boost.
  • Life Orb for power.
  • Jolly can be used if you need Feraligatr to outspeed Swellow, Choice Scarf Adamant Sawk and Modest/Adamant Mesprit, and Modest Accelgor. Feraligatr will lose some power though so only use it if needed.

Usage Tips
========

• Only Dragon Dance when Feraligatr can clean up or needs to boost to break through a physically defensive Pokemon.
  • ????

Team Options
========

(I c/p'd the team options of the SD set as both have similar checks and counters, and needs similar support)
  • ENTRY HAZARDS. Crustle, Garbodor, Rhydon, Qwilfish, Roselia, Seismitoad, Accelgor, Ferroseed, etc. Feraligatr works well on both offense and balance so depending on the team any Spikes user work.
  • Mesprit is a fantastic partner for Feraligatr as it can easily punch holes in the opponent's team thans to its vast movepool. It can even set up Stealth Rock and use Knock Off to cripple physically defensive walls such as Ferroseed and Seismitoad to make it easier for Feraligatr to break through. Healing Wish is also really amazing when used along with Feraligatr as few Pokemon can handle a Feraligatr twice.
  • Grass-types themself are great partners to Feraligatr as they can easily take on opponent's Water-types, and hit opponent's Grass-types with their coverage. Vileplume, Lilligant, Sceptile, and Leafeon all work well.
  • Any Pokemon that can handle Poliwrath, Ferroseed, and Seismitoad.

Other Options
########

• Special Attacking set.
  • Superpower.
  • Rindo Berry.
  • Substitute.

Checks & Counters
########

• Faster Grass-types such as Lilligant, Sceptile, Leafeon, and Gourgeist-Small can check the SD set (DD outspeeds and does a huge amount with Ice Punch). Meanwhile, slower Grass-types such as Vileplume, Cradily, Tangela, Ferroseed, and Gourgeist-Super can also take on Feraligatr quite well.
  • Water-immune such as Seismitoad, Poliwrath, and Jynx.
  • Strong attackers can pressure Feraligatr.
  • ???

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I personally used Jolly on DD Feraligatr, mostly to outrun tons of shit before boosting because it still hits pretty hard and has good coverage even if you can't or don't need to boost in order to sweep. At +1, the only thing relevant thing it outspeeds with Jolly that it doesn't outspeed with Adamant is Jolly/Timid Swellow. It also outspeeds Adamant Scarf Sawk, Adamant/Modest Scarf Mesprit, and Modest Accelgor, though they aren't exactly hugely relevant. Still, Jolly should probably get a mention in Set Details just for unboosted Speed. I do the same thing with Lilligant, and I generally just really prefer them both +Speed.

Cut Vileplume from the last point in Team Options. It isn't a problem for DD Feraligatr because:

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 242-286 (68.3 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

I've honestly not used Feraligatr much. I think I've used SD on like one team, and I've used DD on one team. I don't have anything else to add, and I've played against it enough to know this is fine for a first stamp. 1/3

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I added a mention of Jolly in the DD's set details, and removed the vileplume thingy. also removed faster Grass-types along with plume as DD gatr outspeeds those at +1 and OHKO them with Ice Punch iirc. (leafeon probably needs some prior damage).

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
feel like you need something negative in here...............like uh uh uh something lol

[SD Usage Tips]
Expand out on the usage tips a little bit, mention that gatr should not start setting up if they still have a fast grass pokemon like sceptile. Say it can beat things like Vileplume with Ice punch and to SD on the switch and then SD again eating up a giga drain and then killing with ice punch. But that it can't beat Tangela with the same strategy.

[DD Usage Tips]
I mean Feraligatr with DD is a late game cleaner and should only be used late game, idk what else to say besides that.

[C&C]
Mention that faster grass types check the SD set, but do not check the DD variant after a +1. I would also either remove Cradily and Vileplume or set them apart from the slower grass types as both pokemon lose to the ice punch variants. Cradily is usually specially defensive.
Lanturn is also water immune (electric is much better lol) and checks the Ice punch variant.
Status should probably get a mention under here, but its a pretty weak check seeing as a lot of Gatr's like to run Lum. Although Lum can be gotten rid of through toxic spikes, or knock off on the switch in. Also mention that this really hurts DD gatr as it usually doesnt run lum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)