XY OU Final Stand

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner made by me in 20 minutes

With XY OU coming to a close in just a few short days, I felt the necessity to share a team that I've been working on for the past few weeks. This'll be my last RMT for XY OU, as ORAS is just around the corner, which is where the name Final Stand comes from. I don’t have any crazy ladder peaks with it, nor will I attempt to make any (as I honestly hate the ladder, as cliché as it sounds), but I have used this team in tours with quite a bit of success. It’s a team based around Mega Gardevoir and Greninja, which is hopefully evident by the (crappy) banner I made for it. I don’t have much else to say, so onto the teambuilding process:

When making the team, I started off with two mons that I absolutely adore: Greninja and Mega Garvevoir. Aside from them being two of my all-time favorite mons, they also happen to be extremely effective in the OU Metagame. I chose Spikes Greninja over the more common 4 attacks sets, simply because Greninja forces a ton of switches and can take advantage of that by laying down hazards, which pressures opposing teams and helps my breakers by wearing down opposing walls. Gardevoir was chosen to just wreck everything with STAB Hyper Voice.

Next, I added Rotom-W to take on the likes of Scizor, Volt Switch on everything, spread burns, and generally be extremely annoying. This thing is an excellent pivot that almost always does his job every match. He also acts as one of my BirdSpam checks, which is something every team needs.

Next, Heatran. Heatran was added to act as a secondary Talonflame check, and a good check to the newly popular offensive SD Mega Scizor. He also sets up rocks to help break down opposing Pokémon.

I wanted a rapid Spinner. I had Spikes, so Defog wasn’t gonna cut it. Lol @ using Blastoise, and Excadrill didn’t fit. So I went with the next best thing, Reflect Type Starmie. He spins away hazards and acts as a good Bisharp check thanks to Reflect Type.

Finally, I needed a form of speed control on my team. I didn’t feel like using Lando T, as he's fairly predictable and over used (pun not intended), so instead I went with a more underrated threat in Scarf Kyube, which shits on Lando T. I’ll go more in depth later, so let’s get onto the team, shall we?

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Starting off is Mega Gardevoir, the best special wallbreaker in the tier, hands down. Her excellent typing and Pixilate Hyper Voice give her a strong STAB move to spam. She acts as my check to the Lati twins, and makes for an excellent stallbreaker with Taunt. Psyshock is here to muscle past Chansey after a Taunt, and Focus Blast is the standard coverage move of choice to hit steel types not names Scizor. Fuck misses tho. She has a Modest nature to maximize her power, as Timid isn’t that useful imo, because the other base 100s aren’t things she should stay in against regardless, and the others she can beat. 24 Def EVs live Latios’s Psyshock after rocks. Also she's shiny because Shiny Mega Gardevoir is one of the most beautifully designed Pokemon out there (no Pokefelia or w/e its called).

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Dark Pulse / Grass Knot

So here we have the ninja frog himself, Greninja. NO HE IS NOT OP, NOT EVEN IN ORAS .-. Anyways, he's one of the most important members of the team, as he can take on the likes of Lati@s, Heatran, non Scarf Lando T, and a buttload of other thing I forgot to mention. I'm using the spikes set to take advantage of the numerous switches he forces and to wear down opposing walls. He also beats all common Defoggers, which only bolsters his effectiveness as a Spiker. Additionally, its great to troll Rotoms when Leading because it turns me into a Ground type and what Rotom W is Hydro Pumping turn one lmao. Dark Pulse and Grass Knot both have their uses, and I've used both extensively. I'm leaning towards Grass Knot because Gardevoir usually handles Dark Pulse’s main targets, and GK allows me to check nonboosted Mega Gyarados and also smack TTar for a huge hit. Everything else is standard.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

Next up is the washing machine. He checks birds, checks sand, and annoys the living shit out of everything. I have no speed investment because who the fuck uses BD Azu these days? Noone that’s good, that’s who. It also gives me switch initiative against opposing Rotoms to allow me to gain momentum. Aside from that, its an incredibly standard set with standard moves. He's so self-explanatory that talking more about him is gonna give me a headache. Moving on.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 20 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect / Taunt

Offensive SD Mega Scizor is popular. So is Adamant SR Excadrill. Fastran beats both :D Seriously, this set is so underrated it’s not even funny. It outspeeds most Mew sets, allowing me to Toxic him before the Taunt, it shits on every Scizor out there, and gets clutch burns against the likes of BandNite, Pivot Lando T, and Adamant Diggersby. He also sets up rocks. His moveset is standard, though I often switch between Taunt and Protect. I'm leaning towards Protect because it helps stall out sand, gain lefties recovery, and scouts moves on choice attackers. EVs outspeed max Jolly Mega Scizor and gives me an odd HP number for hazards. Rest goes into SpDef because why the fuck not.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin

Defog didn’t fit, and I hate hazards. LolBlastoise, and Excadrill and Tentacruel didn’t fit. So I went with Starmie, specifically Reflect Type Starmie. It’s a good spinner, and beats many threats 1v1 like Bisharp, which is huge considering the somewhat weakness I have to him. Starmie also is a great lead vs Sashloom, as I can avoid the Spore, take nothing from Bullet Seed, and eventually burn the mother fucker with Scald. It also beats Ferrothorn 1v1 because Leech Seed doesn’t work against Grass-types :D Reflect Type is such a gimmicky move that has gotten to the point where it’s not even gimmicky, so it’s just downright great. Starmie also helps against Keldeo, too!

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 48 HP / 124 Atk / 112 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Underrated threat with a custom EV spread. HP EVs live +2 Jolly Talonflames Sharp Beak Brave Bird 99.7% of the time. Id give it the 4 more needed to live every time, but Stealth Rocks exist so I’ll take that .3% chance over only 4 switch ins any day of the week. The speed EVs outspeed max Jolly Lando-T. SpAtk EVs OHKO Bisharp after 1 round of LO with earth Power. Everything else goes into attack to bolster Outrage and Fusion Bolt’s power. With that out of the way, Kyubes acts as my form of speed control. It’s a great and underrated set that can get surprise kills on so many things it’s not even funny. Ice Beam is a great move, as it hits thru Mega Venusaur’s Thick Fat and DNites Multiscale thanks to Teravolt, guaranteeing the 2HKOand OHKO respectively. It breaks through Sturdy, and ignores Unaware, for whatever that’s worth, lol. Outrage is for nuking things late-game when the fairies are dead, and Fusion Bolt is standard coverage for waters and Skarmory.The rocks weakness is annoying, but that’s what happens when Trollfreak makes a mon with this BST bad enough to be OU.

So there's the team. I guess I can give shout outs since my name is somewhat known here, so if I tag you then you should know who I am ^^;

Mean Mr Snorlax – Good friend of mine from Serebii who I've known for quite a while. He's helped me get better as a player, and has helped me test out this team on multiple occasions. He also runs SE on Serebii.

Ger9119 – another good friend of mine from Serebii who has also helped me get better as a player. He helps run my current guild on Serebii alongside MMS, and its always fun playing against his infamous gimmick teams.

The DragonKnight – Yet another friend of mine from Serebii. Out of anyone here, he's helped me improve the most. Back when I first started doing competitive battling more frequently, he sort of took me under his wing and helped me out, whether it be through helping me test teams, or by giving me teams to use (which also led to me getting reqs in the Deo suspect :D). I haven’t spoken to him in a while, but there's no way in hell I could forget everything he's done for me. Thx fren =]

Dragonicwari – another fren from Serebii (anyone see a pattern?) he hasn’t been active as of late, but I played him in a tour that started my obsession (for lack of a better term) with playing competitive. Playing him in the Two Life Tournament showed me how much I still had to learn, which led to me joining a guild and meeting everyone else, even if he didn’t know it at the time. Gotta thank you bro, gl with College :D

Irrationality – someone who recently quit, but she was my mentor after DK and I drifted apart. She helped me with my other team, BALANCE-ing Act way back when, and has since helped me out tremendously with both my battling and teambuilding skills alike. I know you left Irra, but I won’t forget you. Gl with college!

alexwolf – finally, someone who isn’t from Serebii, lol. The main OU mod (ie the one who mods the forum almost singlehandedly). Whether or not he knows it, he's indirectly helped me become a more active contributor to the forums. Idk why, but the first post of mine he deleted somehow led to me making better posts. He also approved me doing the OU Player of the Week project, which is probably my favorite thing to do on this site. I couldn’t give out shoutouts without mentioning the guy who helped me get into Smogon in the first place, whether he knew it or not. Thanks dude =]

Aragorn the King – In all honestly, he's probably one of the only Smogon friends I have. It’s not that I dont get along with anyone (aside from a few, but w/e), but it’s more that I'm not that into the IRC and PS! Room stuff where everyone hangs out. For some reason we were able to get along really well, and despite the fact that we dont talk much, I can consider him a friend on here.

aim, McMeghan, CrashinBoomBang, Bloo, gr8astard, M Dragon – lumping you guys together. I can't say that I know any of you all too well, but I can say that you doing POTW with me has helped me get integrated into the more competitive scene of Smogon. Before all this, I was just some random who made decent posts that got a few likes here and there. Now, I can say something and have people attach a name to it. I'm not trying to say that I'm like extremely popular or anything (cuz I'm not in any way, shape, or form, lol), but I can say that I feel people know who Clone is. Thanks guys.

And thanks to everyone whos liked my posts, put up with my johnning in certain tours, and tolerated my presence. All of you have made the second half of my first year of Competitive Pokémon enjoyable, and I hope to keep being friends with / get to know better / become friends with everyone mentioned here, and anyone else out there.

So there it is. XY OU is drawing to a close, and as the first Metagame that I've played the entirety of, I can definitely say that I've enjoyed it. This team was made through everything I've learned throughout the past 6 months I've spent on Smogon (basically when I started being active). I know it has some flaws, but that’s why I'm RMTing it, to get help. So leave suggestions down below. If my wish becomes a reality in that XY OU will get its own ladder once ORAS comes out, then hopefully Ill get to continue using this team. Id like to thank everyone for reading this, and have a nice day.

- Clone

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
- Dark Pulse

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 20 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 52 HP / 120 Atk / 112 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice team and thx for the shout out Clone! The team is solid overall, but there are some glaring weaknesses to Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Charizard X. First, use Timid on Mega Gardevoir. Mega Charizard X, Y, and Mega Gardevoir are all huge threats to your team, so at worse Speed tying with them is great. Moving on, Thunder Wave > Pain Split on Rotom-W. This is a must, as otherwise you are annihilated by Jolly DD Mega Charizard X with EQ, which can set up on Starmie and Rotom-W, and even more stuff if it uses a bulky spread and Roost. Thunder Wave also helps in dealing with CM Clefable (you will see later why this is important), Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Charizard Y. Finally, you should consider changing your Heatran set to an offensive one with max SpA, max Speed, a Timid nature, a Chople Berry, and a moveset of Fire STAB / Flash Cannon / Stone Edge / Stealth Rock. The Chople Berry helps check Mega Gardevoir and Mega Char Y, both of which are OHKOed or crippled by the appropriate move. Flash Cannon does 73% minimum to Mega Gardevoir, at which point everything on your team that outspeeds it can OHKO it. Your team is fast enough, so i think going without Leftovers and HP investment is not such a big detriment, and you have Mega Gardevoir as a secondary check to Lati@s. Luring and KOing Gardevoir also helps Kyu-B spam Outrage late-game. Also, using Stone Edge on Heatran is important to minimize the damage that Charizard Y can do to your team, as you lack a single good check to it, and it has a good match up against Starmie, Mega Gardevoir, and even Greninja if SR is not up, so it has plenty of chances to wreck your team. Even without Taunt, +1 Clefable is usually 2HKOed by Flash Cannon, and with the occasional SpD drop and even crit, i think you will be fine against it, not to mention you also have Taunt Mega Gardevoir to prevent it from healing and do lots of damage to it with Psyshock.

Good luck, hope i helped, and keep up with your great interviews ;D

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice team and thx for the shout out Clone! The team is solid overall, but there are some glaring weaknesses to Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Charizard X. First, use Timid on Mega Gardevoir. Mega Charizard X, Y, and Mega Gardevoir are all huge threats to your team, so at worse Speed tying with them is great. Moving on, Thunder Wave > Pain Split on Rotom-W. This is a must, as otherwise you are annihilated by Jolly DD Mega Charizard X with EQ, which can set up on Starmie and Rotom-W, and even more stuff if it uses a bulky spread and Roost. Thunder Wave also helps in dealing with CM Clefable (you will see later why this is important), Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Charizard Y. Finally, you should consider changing your Heatran set to an offensive one with max SpA, max Speed, a Timid nature, a Chople Berry, and a moveset of Fire STAB / Flash Cannon / Stone Edge / Stealth Rock. The Chople Berry helps check Mega Gardevoir and Mega Char Y, both of which are OHKOed or crippled by the appropriate move. Flash Cannon does 73% minimum to Mega Gardevoir, at which point everything on your team that outspeeds it can OHKO it. Your team is fast enough, so i think going without Leftovers and HP investment is not such a big detriment, and you have Mega Gardevoir as a secondary check to Lati@s. Luring and KOing Gardevoir also helps Kyu-B spam Outrage late-game. Also, using Stone Edge on Heatran is important to minimize the damage that Charizard Y can do to your team, as you lack a single good check to it, and it has a good match up against Starmie, Mega Gardevoir, and even Greninja if SR is not up, so it has plenty of chances to wreck your team. Even without Taunt, +1 Clefable is usually 2HKOed by Flash Cannon, and with the occasional SpD drop and even crit, i think you will be fine against it, not to mention you also have Taunt Mega Gardevoir to prevent it from healing and do lots of damage to it with Psyshock.

Good luck, hope i helped, and keep up with your great interviews ;D
Thanks for the rate dude! I'll try out Timid on Gardevoir, tho in my experience the zards tend to run attack boosting natures in favor of speed boosting ones, but mega Gardevoir might be something I need to speed tie, lol. And I'll definitely try out that Heatran set. I never noticed it until u brought it up, but char y did have a good time shreking my team whenever I faced one, despite his rarity, so any way to patch up that weakness is helpful. Thanks for the rate, you definitely helped, and I will =]

Edit: just realized that I left out ur Rotom suggestion, but I'll give that a go as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)