VGC [FINALISED] Xerneas Rampage VGC 2016 edition (my ideas for the new metagame)

UPDATED TEAM AT BOTTOM OF POST

[Original RMT]

If you have read my RMT xerneas rampage, then you will know how much of a fan i am of the doubles ubers metagame, and now that legendaries are allowed into vgc, i thought i might have a stab at creating what i feel might be the new CHALK-like vgc 2016 standard. If you haven't heard about the new vgc metagame yet, in the 2016 season, teams are allowed up to two legendary pokemon from this list:​
  • Mewtwo
  • Lugia
  • Ho-oh
  • Kyogre
  • Groudon
  • Rayquaza
  • Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Giratina
  • Reshiram
  • Zekrom
  • Kyurem
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zygarde
To sum it up quite frankly, vgc 2016 has become one of, if not the most unbalanced metagame in history, with not just previous uber powerhouses like mega kangaskhan roaming the ladder, but also with ridiculously OP pokemon like mega rayquaza, the most threatening offensive powerhouse ever created and even my personal favourite, xerneas the set up king.
Because of the abundance of extremely fast pokemon like the previously mentioned geomancy xerneas and mega rayquaza in the tier, i'm anticipating a LOT of Shuca Berry TR Dialga sets, which hard counter most xerneas/rayquaza sets along with an abundance of others.

Anyway, onto the team.

At a Glance

As the title suggests, this team is going to be a rendition of my previous xerneas rampage team for vgc 2016, so as you might expect, this is the initial combo i started the team with. A well rounded combo, similar to that of kangaskhan/azumarill, which is another combo i am very interested in (you can find its RMT here), geomancy set up with fake out support leads to relatively fast wins, and there is a second set up opportunity to set up with kangaskhan.

The fairy/ground coverage combo is a fairly well known combination of STABs that work together and play off each other very well. primal groudon is an excellent abuser of this as it not only has STAB precipice blades, but is immune to burn and thunder wave, is a good dialga/trick room check and has a way to change the weather and STAB sun boosted fire type attacks to boot, things that earthquake users like landorus-t sorely need.

Cresselia came to mind next. You may have seen my RMT where i tried to utilize as best i could the charizard/cresselia combo alongside mega kangskhan offence, and now primal groudon makes mega charizard Y look a little puny with its sweeping capability in trick room and its massive bulk, so this new found combo of primal groudon and trick room cresselia really caught my attention, especially with the ability cresselia has to make groudon immune to ground as well as water through skill swap.

Xerneas' best friend, amoonguss gives vital redirection support and becomes a fantastic status abuser in trick room. Rage powder support also gives mega kangaskhan a chance to sweep more effectively if xerneas is threatened by taunt users etc. I think amoonguss is a great choice who benefits both modes that this team plays in.

This last slot took me a while to choose. I eventually decided on thundurus, who completes a nice fake out/redirection/sleep/taunt core which i love to slap onto teams if i can, as it shuts down gimmicky strategies etc. more specifically, thundurus gives the team a better matchup versus xerneas, who thundurus can taunt and even swagger if needs be, and also gives the team a second form of speed control in thunder wave. unfortunately, (and this is why i found it difficult to pick thundurus) opposing primal groudon completely wall thundurus, and its only option is to either switch out, or to pray that swagger doesn't fail.

upload_2015-12-10_21-4-18.png

windows xp ftw
(primal groudon hasn't been uploaded to this teambuilder yet, so camerupt is the closest type wise)

a pretty decent looking type chart, not all types are covered but the team has a good set of pretty key resistances, except for ice..

In Depth:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Pretty basic EV spread, smogon's recommended spread technically doesn't fit this meta, as genesect is non existent. the 76 Speed EVs ensure xerneas outspeeds choice scarf base 102's after a geomancy, max SpA for maximum offensive presence and the rest is distributed into HP. A +2 Dazzling Gleam will OHKO/2HKO most of the metagame not named Ho-oh or Lugia, and Hidden Power [Ground] will finish off any steel types that stand in xerneas' way, and importantly, HP Ground hits primal groudon for good damage (+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 166-196 (94.8 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO).

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 244 Atk / 20 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

I wanted this mega kangaskhan spread to work well both in and out of trick room, so I went with a pretty bulky spread (i would really like someone to improve upon this spread, as well as possibly xerneas' spread). The 244 HP / 20 Def bulk investment gives it the ability to survive some pretty powerful moves:
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 165-196 (78.1 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 175-208 (82.9 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 195-229 (92.4 – 108.5%) — 50% chance to OHKO
  • +6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 165-195 (78.1 – 92.4%) — guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 200-236 (94.7 – 111.8%) — 68.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 158-188 (74.8 – 89%) — guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Iron Fist Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 174-206 (82.4 – 97.6%) — guaranteed 2HKO
Inner Focus allows kangaskhan to safely get off a fake out against faster fake out users, like opposing mega kangaskhan, and double-edge gives kangaskhan more power when sweeping under trick room.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 236 HP / 148 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

This is a set that i created myself, and it is made to reach these specific benchmarks, which help it handle mega rayquaza and dialga more easily:
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 236 HP / 100 SpD Primal Groudon: 173-204 (84.3 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 148+ Atk Primal Groudon Helping Hand Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Rayquaza: 180-212 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Fire Blast is a much more spammable option to replace overheat, only at the cost of 20 base damage and 5% accuracy, which i think is a reasonable trade off, and precipice blades is a great earthquake alternative that doesn't hit partners at the cost of 15% accuracy, again a reasonable trade off considering my next option.​

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 8 Spe
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap / Ice Beam / Moonlight
- Psychic
- Helping Hand

Pretty basic EV spread, enough defence to survive a life orb +1 252+ Atk Dragon ascent from mega rayquaza (+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Cresselia: 191-226 (84.1 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), and the rest is put into special bulk. 8 Speed IVs ensure cresselia outspeeds primal groudon under trick room by one point, so that cresselia can safely skill swap levitate onto groudon so that its matchup against opposing primal groudons is optimised. Ice beam and moonlight are equally powerful options that benefit cresselia's offensive and defensive potential respectively. Helping hand is on the fourth slot because of the previously mentioned damage calc (148+ Atk Primal Groudon Helping Hand Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Rayquaza: 180-212 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO).

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 188 HP / 156 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

This amoonguss spread is from vgc 2015, and this is another EV spread that i would like updating. this EV spread meets some great benchmarks from big threats in the vgc 2015 meta:
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 188 HP / 156 Def Amoonguss: 180-213 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 188 HP / 164+ SpD Amoonguss: 180-214 (84.5 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Fire Blast vs. 188 HP / 164+ SpD Amoonguss: 179-213 (84 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 188 HP / 164+ SpD Amoonguss: 182-216 (85.4 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 188 HP / 156 Def Amoonguss: 210-248 (98.5 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Pretty standard move selection, theres not much reason to use anything else apart from possibly grass knot to handle primal kyogre more easily. Rage powder and spore are amoonguss' selling points, and provide vital support to the whole of the team​

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 4 SpA / 132 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Swagger

I'm tempted to swap out this option for something else (a TailRoom option possibly??), although prankster taunt, thunder wave and swagger all seem so nice in the new meta with all these new special attacking powerhouses running about. A lot of people would shun me for my overuse of swagger, and i completely get the frustration associated with the move, but along with thunder wave brings about RNG abuse and speed control. Taunt stops xerneas in its tracks most times, and thunderbolt is its best STAB. The EV spread may also need updating, but it is a pretty bulky spread, surviving a double-edge from jolly kangaskhan, which is a 2HKO most of the time, and sylveon's hyper voice has 74.6% chance to 3HKO after sitrus berry, with an okay chance to survive a draco meteor from modest specs hydreigon. The speed EVs outspeed base 70's like breloom. Again, these benchmarks will need updating in the new format.

Hope you like the team, i appreciate any sort of constructive criticism you might like to offer :)

Draconid out.

[UPDATED TEAM]

So after all your amazing advice, the team is finally 'complete':

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 172 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

credit: Serapis
the original EV spread was a little odd, outspeeding excadrill wasn't really necessary since i had primal groudon to change the weather, so this set is focused on offense. Maximum SpA dazzling gleam will do a tonne of damage to unresisting opponents, and moonblast>hidden power ground achieves the same thing but allows xerneas to OHKO most of the meta. the speed EVs will allow xerneas to outspeed choice scarf base 100s after a geomancy, with the defensive EVs accomplishing these benchmarks:​
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 172 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 188-224 (84.3 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 172 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 168-199 (75.3 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas in Harsh Sun: 178-211 (79.8 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Credit: Serapis/Cricles Are Round
I didn't think running max speed HO groudon was worth it since i already have togekiss' follow me to draw earth powers to it as well as two forms of speed control, so this spread was chosen for maximum offense with enough speed to outspeed smeargle. The moves selected aim to OHKO other HO primal groudon with earth power, whilst doing massive spread damage with eruption. Fire Blast will give groudon more options at low health as well as guaranteeing an OHKO on crobat

EVs: 4 HP / 172 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Only real change here is the EV spread:
Since the team no longer has trick room, this spread is no longer focused on a semi-TR style team, so this is a very standard fast kang spread with inner focus to counter fake out based strategies easier. The spread will also survive a jolly kangaskhan's low kick.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash​
- Thunder Wave
- Magic Coat

Credit: SlaySlenderDragonXD
This is the updated togekiss set after initially trying out SlaySlenderDragonXD's suggestion of togekiss over amoonguss.
Magic coat for smeargle etc, TW for the first form of speed control
The spread is explained below (the speed/SpA stats are from excess EVs):​
  • +2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Togekiss: 100-118 (52 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Togekiss in Harsh Sun: 127-150 (66.1 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Togekiss: 148-176 (77 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Togekiss: 153-181 (79.6 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Togekiss: 157-187 (81.7 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Credit: Jibaku​
(got the spread wrong)
this survives 3 water spouts from kyogre, and OHKOs xerneas with gyro ball. Please do not use the previous spread, since it was not intentional. I have noticed a couple of people using that spread in teams and hopefully i can reverse this.

Crobat @ Lum Berry
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Finally, crobat is here to stop anything else that may get in the way of a potential sweep. Inner Focus + Taunt will prevent xerneas from setting up if supported with fake out, quick guard will block prankster status moves as well as most opposing fake outs, super fang can chip down the health of bulky legends for a more efficient sweep, and tailwind will help out the slower sweepers. The EVs will survive a +2 modest xerneas moonblast with the rest in defence to increase the chance of surviving a kangaskhan double-edge:

• +2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 142-168 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 68 HP / 188 Def Crobat: 145-172 (85.7 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
  • (252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Crobat: 177-211 (92.1 - 109.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO)

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Protect

EVs: 4 HP / 172 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Magic Coat

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Crobat @ Lum Berry
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

the importable has glitched out sorry :(

So that's the team :)
Hope you enjoyed reading, and again if you have any advice for alternative team choices etc i would love to hear them​

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Hey nice team I have only a few recommendations
Ice Beam > Psychic Psychic doesn't really hit anything you need it to and dragons are just threatening, since this is a semi-room team I won't recommend Icy Wind since it slows you down.
>
Personally I think for your team Togekiss as a redirector is better just because it isn't weak to PDon which is like the only reason I suggesting this. Your team struggles so much with it that I feel You should switch it out. Something more physically defensive seems fitting and you can put a Sitru Berry on this and leftovers on Thundurus.

Really solid team :]

Cheers for the feedback, really appreciate it :)
I've changed up some of the spreads from my original team idea (ill be uploading them later), and have swapped out helping hand for ice beam on cress since skill swap is really all it needs for PG to beat both mega rayquaza (take away delta stream and use stone edge) and opposing PG (skill swap my PG to make it immune to prec blades) also im liking that idea of togekiss as redirection, but im just a bit concerned about what benefit it would have whilst in TR and defensive typing/redirection benefits when next to Xerneas.
PDon would be handled by cress+PDon combo, and +2 xerneas' HP ground atm, are there any other changes/ways that i could improve the matchup?

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Cheers for the feedback, really appreciate it :)
I've changed up some of the spreads from my original team idea (ill be uploading them later), and have swapped out helping hand for ice beam on cress since skill swap is really all it needs for PG to beat both mega rayquaza (take away delta stream and use stone edge) and opposing PG (skill swap my PG to make it immune to prec blades) also im liking that idea of togekiss as redirection, but im just a bit concerned about what benefit it would have whilst in TR and defensive typing/redirection benefits when next to Xerneas.
PDon would be handled by cress+PDon combo, and +2 xerneas' HP ground atm, are there any other changes/ways that i could improve the matchup?
Use Golduck no not really PDon doesn't have many weaknesses at the moment and the only two I can think of is a POgre switching in or Specs Kyurem White. You just need to make use of your tools you have like for example if you needed to use redirection to set up Xerneas Togekiss would do a lot better. And nothing on your team wants to take a fire type attack and that includes Amoonguss so Togekiss can do that fairly well. You have TWave and occasional flinches with Air Slash as well as reliable recovery. Just my opinion though

Use Golduck no not really PDon doesn't have many weaknesses at the moment and the only two I can think of is a POgre switching in or Specs Kyurem White. You just need to make use of your tools you have like for example if you needed to use redirection to set up Xerneas Togekiss would do a lot better. And nothing on your team wants to take a fire type attack and that includes Amoonguss so Togekiss can do that fairly well. You have TWave and occasional flinches with Air Slash as well as reliable recovery. Just my opinion though
Ill see what i can do with togekiss :)
(PDon is immune to TW)
Toge might make this into a nice tailroom team, means replacing thundurus with a mid speed sweeper mon, thanks again for the advice

Okay, so after adding togekiss i decided to take a different approach to the team, so instead of running a semi-trick room team, it has become pretty much a 'goodstuff' team, which i will explain below:

Team Changes:

This is a dual-mega team that works very well in both team modes, as mega kangaskhan and mega salamence perform different roles on the team that are both unique to the playstyle of each of their respective cores:

/

This core focusses on the kang/xerneas combo, allowing for a set up whilst covering possible threats, eg steel types etc. Other lead options include Kang/Togekiss and Xerneas/Togekiss.
/

This core actually originated from a new team i was trying to create that was similar to that infamous japan sand team from VGC 2015. Togekiss used to be Ho-Oh and Xerneas' slot was an uncertainty until i eventually realised that this team could be created from it XD. Salamence-Mega handles MegaRay really well and provides intimidate support in its base form which helps out PDon, and PDon handles the steels that MegaSal hates. Aegislash provides wide guard support which is fantastic in this meta with new threats arising like POgre and GeoXern.

In Depth:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Slightly different EV spread, outspeeds sand rush excadrill when under sandstorm conditions by one point, whilst just surviving mega rayquaza's dragon ascent:

252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 177-211 (83.4 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

smogon's bulky offensive spread is actually pretty viable in this season, so i changed the EV spread to this after seeing these calcs:

252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 92 HP / 44 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 164-192 (85.4 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 92 HP / 52 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 165-196 (85.9 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

so after considering these calculations as well as all smogon's noted benefits, I changed the spread as it perfectly fits on this team

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 204 HP / 92 Atk / 124 Def / 4 SpA / 84 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Overheat
- Protect

Slightly different EV spread now that PDon is operating under tailwind, opposing intimidated PDon's precipice blades has a 5.9% chance to 2HKO, and -1 Atk LO mega rayquaza is always a 3HKO. (Still survives dialga's draco meteor (non life orb). Overheat isn't used that often, but is used to hit Aegislash through wide guard, and does more damage than fire blast. 84 Speed EVs allow PDon to outspeed neutral 0 Spe base 100s and xerneas before it uses geomancy

<

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

As SlaySlenderDragon XD rightly said, togekiss does a much better job than amoonguss at redirection, simply because it doesn't add another weakness to PDon/MegaRay, and it also provides speed control in tailwind, giving the mid-speed pokemon on the team (kang/PDon) a fantastic speed boost which boosts their sweeping potential by a long way. This spread needs updating, but it does a good job at redirection as pointed out by its smogon analysis.

<

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice / Fire Blast
- Protect

Pretty standard stuff here, with an updated spread based on this calc:

84 SpA Mega Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 186-218 (103.3 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Salamence is quite an awkward pokemon to sort moves out for, it's always stuck between Fire Blast and Hyper Voice for most teams, and for this team i'm not really sure of what to pick, i could do with some guidance here.

<

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Aegislash technically didn't 'replace' cresselia, rather, after looking over what i intended to be an updated 'japan sand' team, i felt aegislash did the most work in this slot. The WP/WG set was pretty bog standard for VGC 2015, with the defensive investment helping it survive stuff like specs dark pulse from modest hydreigon; if anybody has new suggestions please share, giratina-O looks pretty scary with shadow force going through king's shield. Wide Guard support is appreciated most by PDon, MegaSal and itself from threatening spread moves in the new season.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly apreciated, and feel free to use this team on the ladder :)

Forgot an importable:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 204 HP / 92 Atk / 124 Def / 4 SpA / 84 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Overheat
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Protect

(Bump) Does anybody have any suggestions for the new updated version of the team? There are a few things that i've edited from the last post, but i would mainly like to know if anybody has suggestions for alternative spreads for stuff like togekiss, or any other members of the team. I'm curious as to what Gonbe's Primal Groudon EV spread does from their 3rd place Generation Showdown team:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 124 HP / 244 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Iron Head
- Eruption
- Protect

(for now i'm using a simplified version to work on this team)

Anyway, here are the new changes in an importable version of the team:
(changes are in bold)
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Eruption

- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast / Tailwind
- Protect

EXPLANATION:

Kangaskhan:

The spread is a little faster for use outside of TW, it survives mega kangaskhan's low kick 50% of the time, and mega rayquaza's dragon ascent 75% of the time, whilst outspeeding max speed base 70's
Low kick is for handling dialga more easily:

244+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Dialga: 186-222 (90.2 - 107.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

PDon:

Earth power to handle opposing PDon more easily:

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 104 HP / 96 SpD Primal Groudon: 186-222 (98.9 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Fire Blast does a consistent amount of damage, hitting many opponents for massive damage under sun, although flamethrower is a very viable, more consistent option. Eruption does a huge amount of damage at full health, so the EV spread maximises speed without reducing power under tailwind.

Mega Salamence:

More specially focussed EV spread, since attack stat is naturally higher, OHKO's all amoonguss with double-edge

Last edited:

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
Xerneas. Let's do this.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

This was your set as of the last update, and I have a couple things I would like to go over in regards to it. Xerneas is, as you say, one of the most terrifying setup threats in the game. As such, all sorts of things in this meta revolve around helping it to setup, preventing it from setting up, and (trying to) stop it once it's set up. Before jumping into all this though, I would just like to point out that your current spread is EVed to outspeed Excadrill under Sand, which doesn't make much sense considering that you have a Primal Groudon with Desolate Land and Sand doesn't exist in this meta. You do outspeed regular Excadrill without Sand up which is kind of nice, but I haven't seen a single Excadrill yet and it's not like Xerneas would be OHKOing it with HP Ground at +0 or anything either so I don't think that it's a big deal.

So, when looking at Xerneas I feel the first issue you face is whether to run the Timid set or the Modest set. You have the Modest set, which I personally find myself drawn to simply because of it's greater power. It is worth keeping in mind that most other Xerneas at the moment are Timid, so they will be outspeeding you, but if handled right you should be able to deal with it. Your team does have the tools for it in Wide Guard and Fake Out support, so Modest seems fine.

How about the moves then? Protect and Geomancy are pretty mandatory, and Dazzling Gleam is only slightly less so. Now, I'm actually going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say that Xerneas' 4th moveslot should be Moonblast instead of Hidden Power Ground. Here's my thought process:

It's pretty easy for Primal Groudon to EV to live +2 Hidden Power Ground (it's always the first thing I EV for), especially considering that bulky Groudon is rising in popularity. With that said, look at this:

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 129-153 (62.3 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 81-96 (39.1 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Even with minimum rolls on both, Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast always OHKO 252 HP Primal Groudon. Since you can't count on HP Ground for the 100% OHKO, you need to expect that it'll take two attacks to take down opposing Primal Groudons. Using Moonblast over Hidden Power Ground achieves the same thing in this situation, but also allows you to OHKO the meta (Moonblast OHKOes a bunch of targets that Dazzling Gleam doesn't most notably Kangaskhan and Dialga).

So, the first change I suggest is running Moonblast over Dazzling Gleam.

What about the overall EV spread though? Let's start off by assuming that we want max Special Attack for all teh damage. In speed. . . I personally think that 52 EVs works well enough. I'm not quite sure what Choice Scarf Base 102s you were concerned about, but 52 Speed EVs allow you to outpase random base 100 Choice Scarfers with the Geomancy boost, and without it you outspeed Adamant Base 70s and max speed Tyranitar, which is cool even if as I've already said Sand and by extension Tyranitar aren't really things.

Taking the rest of EVs and distributing them for bulk, you can get this spread as the final result:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy
- Protect

252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 172 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 188-224 (84.3 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 172 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 168-199 (75.3 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas in Harsh Sun: 178-211 (79.8 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So, that was a lot on Xerneas for a move change and a new EV spread. Really, your team is good overall and I don't feel that you have to make any big changes so instead I decided to go in depth on a single point that your team is built around. Nice team, and keep up the good work!

Thanks again for the reply :)
This set is fantastic so thanks for sharing it with me, and the original spread was copied from kortex's battle of legends team report ngl, i didnt really know what to run. And yeah the excadrill thing is a bit weird so thanks for clearing that up :)
Btw what EVs would you run on a timid set? Im just curious because the only xerneas i've got in game is timid nature (from GTS lol) and i've always been wondering what i needed to run.

Atm its like this:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 26 Def / 27 SpA (quite decent for GTS)
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

- outspeeds max speed modest xerneas

also have you got any ideas about a togekiss spread?

One other thing, aegislash now runs gyro ball over flash cannon (havent changed the EV spread since it's running WP, but it might be something to consider)

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Thanks again for the reply :)
This set is fantastic so thanks for sharing it with me, and the original spread was copied from kortex's battle of legends team report ngl, i didnt really know what to run. And yeah the excadrill thing is a bit weird so thanks for clearing that up :)
Btw what EVs would you run on a timid set? Im just curious because the only xerneas i've got in game is timid nature (from GTS lol) and i've always been wondering what i needed to run.

Atm its like this:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 26 Def / 27 SpA (quite decent for GTS)
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

- outspeeds max speed modest xerneas

also have you got any ideas about a togekiss spread?
I have a Timid Xerneas with better IVs if you wanted and I believe theorymon has one i his giveaway.

Im very interested :) ngl ive been searching for a good in game xerneas for a while, so if you're offering it would be much appreciated. Whats this theorymon giveaway? Also what IVs does it have?
Btw i live in england so it may be tricky to organise a trade, so could you pm me if you want to talk about it :) thanks

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Im very interested :) ngl ive been searching for a good in game xerneas for a while, so if you're offering it would be much appreciated. Whats this theorymon giveaway? Also what IVs does it have?
Btw i live in england so it may be tricky to organise a trade, so could you pm me if you want to talk about it :) thanks
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...rs-and-a-bit-more.3559794/page-8#post-6599601 thats the giveaway link and he does have a Timid Xerneas that you could pick up. Mine is almost the exact same so I'm guessing getting it from the giveaway would be easier.

that's great thanks :)

btw i've updated the togekiss spread:

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 4 SpA / 140 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

This spread has a good chance (74.3%) to survive 3 dazzling gleams from a +2 modest xerneas, and the remaining EVs are distributed into defence, special attack and speed, so that it outspeeds landorus-t under tailwind and rotom-w without (which is quite rare)

• +2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Togekiss: 108-127 (56.2 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Togekiss: 168-199 (87.5 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Togekiss: 158-186 (82.2 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 140+ SpD Togekiss: 169-201 (88 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Togekiss: 162-190 (84.3 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Togekiss: 156-184 (81.2 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, i've been thinking of swapping aegislash for liepard, as it provides the ability to handle set up sweepers and fake out users with encore as well as accomplishing one of aegislash's roles of answering POgre with access to role play. liepard will be included in the importable below if you want to test it out

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Ability: Aerilate
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Liepard @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Role Play
- Taunt

*NEW SPREAD ALERT*

This is probably the last update I will make to the team. I thought that the PDon spread i previously had was a little too simple and lacked bulk, and after Serapis' comment on EVing for Geomancy Xerneas' Hidden Power [Ground], I thought i might apply that to a new spread, and so here it is:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 92 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect

The special bulk investment allows groudon to always survive +2 modest 252 SpA xerneas' HP Ground as mentioned, whist maintaining enough speed to outspeed max speed smeargle. The rest of the EVs were dumped into SpA and the 4 EVs left over were dumped into defence to give a well-rounded spread.

Here's the importable:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind / Hyper Voice / Fire Blast
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Taunt
- Role Play

Last edited:
*NEW SPREAD ALERT*

This is probably the last update I will make to the team. I thought that the PDon spread i previously had was a little too simple and lacked bulk, and after Serapis' comment on EVing for Geomancy Xerneas' Hidden Power [Ground], I thought i might apply that to a new spread, and so here it is:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

The special bulk investment allows groudon to always survive +2 modest 252 SpA xerneas' HP Ground as mentioned, whist maintaining enough speed to outspeed max speed smeargle. The rest of the EVs were dumped into SpA and the 4 EVs left over were dumped into defence to give a well-rounded spread.

Here's the importable:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind / Hyper Voice / Fire Blast
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Taunt
- Role Play
On groudon i would suggest that u change dragon pulse to flamethrower as it gives u options at low health and is more reliable.

would it be worth running roar on groudon as a trick room counter?
(lead liepard/groudon vs double primal TR teams, fake out the support and roar the setter, allows for groudon to win the matchup versus either of the opposing primals)
also, i was wrong, that wasn't the last update XD sorry...

new groudon spread... ugh

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 20 Def / 20 SpA / 220 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Flamethrower/Roar
- Protect

This spread is a lot more bulky than the previous set, but it accomplishes these achievements:
- Survives 252 SpA groudon's earth power (timid hyper offensive set):
252 SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 12 HP / 220 SpD Primal Groudon: 150-176 (84.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

- OHKO's back with its own earth power (just enough investment):
20+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 176-210 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

- Outspeeds max speed smeargle

- (the rest in defence, giving 2 points more in physical bulk)

...as well as previous benchmarks, although xerneas only run Hidden power 7% of the time (resource: http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1086-vgc-pokemon-spotlight-3-xerneas/)

Also i thought crobat might be a worthy replacement for mega kangaskhan, as it allows me to tech against pranksters with quick guard, and is able to taunt xerneas extremely reliably whilst being immune to fake out flinches. Crobat would hence free up liepard's fourth move slot for an attack (I chose foul play) so that it doesn't get hard countered by faster taunts. This replacement also provides a better answer to the Kangaskhan+smeargle combo, as lum berry + inner focus is one of the only viable combinations that beat both fake out and dark void in the same turn.

Here's the new importable:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Flamethrower/Roar
- Protect

Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Crobat @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Encore
- Role Play

Last edited:

Serapis

Losing my way to Victory
Xerneas' spread is still very much up in the air, but 252 Speed and 252 SpA with a Timid nature works well enough on teams that aren't built around supporting Xern's setup sweep. In fact, most Xern are running max speed right now.

yeah i think serapis covered pretty much all of why i decided to put that, i mainly just use serapis' own suggested spread now :)

would it be worth running roar on groudon as a trick room counter?
(lead liepard/groudon vs double primal TR teams, fake out the support and roar the setter, allows for groudon to win the matchup versus either of the opposing primals)
also, i was wrong, that wasn't the last update XD sorry...

new groudon spread... ugh

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Flamethrower/Roar
- Protect

This spread is a lot more bulky than the previous set, but it accomplishes these achievements:
- Survives 252 SpA groudon's earth power (timid hyper offensive set):
252 SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 12 HP / 220 SpD Primal Groudon: 150-176 (84.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

- OHKO's back with its own earth power (just enough investment):
20+ SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 176-210 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

- Outspeeds max speed smeargle

- (the rest in defence, giving 2 points more in physical bulk)

...as well as previous benchmarks, although xerneas only run Hidden power 7% of the time (resource: http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1086-vgc-pokemon-spotlight-3-xerneas/)

Also i thought crobat might be a worthy replacement for mega kangaskhan, as it allows me to tech against pranksters with quick guard, and is able to taunt xerneas extremely reliably whilst being immune to fake out flinches. Crobat would hence free up liepard's fourth move slot for an attack (I chose foul play) so that it doesn't get hard countered by faster taunts. This replacement also provides a better answer to the Kangaskhan+smeargle combo, as lum berry + inner focus is one of the only viable combinations that beat both fake out and dark void in the same turn.

Here's the new importable:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Flamethrower/Roar
- Protect

Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Crobat @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Encore
- Role Play
I don't feel that u need to slash roar on groudon especially on a team with liepard and tailwind toge to check xerneas. Definitely Flamethrower or even overheat is a better option.Apart from that looks like a very solid with limited options against if played well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)