Fire Water Grass - Balanced Team

This is a Fire, Water, Grass Team. It functions a little like other core teams. But most other core teams die out when one member of the core faints. I tried my best to create a team so that they don't die easily but if they do then the team wont completely crumble. I did my best to tell you how in all of the core pokemons explanation. I've patched all the things that I can think of, but of course this is smogon and if you guys see a dent you can hopefully help me buff it out.

I've ran this team on Pokemon Online when it was in its beginning stages but, back then I had a Vaporeon instead of Quagsire and an Arcanine instead of Volcarona. They were replaced to hopefully make the team better, but I still think it needs to be looked over a lot.

Lead:

Kabutops @ Focus Sash
Battle Armor
Adamant
Atk +252 / Sp +252 / Hp +4
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Jet

His first priority is to take out the opposing lead if it can get super effective damage. Infernape, Heatran, Donphan, Hippowdon are all common leads that take super effective damage. If he does not get super effective damage it can just set up SR like normal leads do.

He can come in for the Rapid Spin every once in a while to make sure Volcarona doesn't get absolutely screwed.

The only problems I've been running into are Gengar and Ferrothorn Leads. Gengar can take me out easily with focus blast. Ferrothorn, I just can't do anything to it, and it can hit me with Power Whip for x4 damage.

Core:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Unaware
Bold
Hp +252 / Def +252 / SpD +4
-Recover
-Stockpile
-Swagger
-Scald

Chosen over other water types because of its synergy with the team. Its the peanut butter to my Blissey's jelly and its unaware ability can put a stop to most boosting sweepers, such as; RP Terrakion, SD Scizor, and DD Gyarados / Dragonite. Not only that but it pulls in Grass types for either Shaymin to set up on. It also draws in Grass types for either Heracross or Volcarona to sweep on.

Scald is his Stab water move to hopefully get a burn off of. Stockpile better sets up his somewhat low defenses. Recover is an instant source of health. And Swagger compliments scald so that he can get a confusion along with a burn, and because of his ability he doesn't have to worry about their attack boost. (Lots of thanks to No Luck Involved for giving me the idea for this set)

Core:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Flame Body
Modest
SpA +252 / Sp +252 / SpD +4
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Morning Sun
-Quiver Dance

Comes in on all Grass, Bug, and Ice types that Shaymin did the courtesy of attracting. He has remarkable Special Attack and Speed that can be boosted tremendously by Quiver Dance. After a few turns to set up he can become an extremely effective sweeper, and can take Special hits like crazy. With Morning Sun to heal up with, Volcarona is something to fear.

If Volcarona faints then the team can still function. Mainly Heracross taking his place. It will be difficult but Heracross can come in on all the grass type moves Volcarona would've normally come in on. Also, Quagsire can take care of all the Ice types that Volcarona normally would've came in on.

Core:

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Calm
Hp +252 / SpD +128 / Def 128
-Leech Seed
-Rest
-Earth Power
-Seed Flare

Shaymin helps the core by setting up Leech Seed for everyone to heal off of. And special walls like Blissey and Snorlax that try to absorb the Seed Flare end up becoming massive Hp sources to my team. Rest is to Heal himself up just incase he can't make use of the Leech Seed much. He not only rounds up Fire types for Quagsire, but he can also round up Ice types and bug types (like Scizor or Frosslass) for Volcarona.

He also sets up very nicely for Heracross to come in. Heracross doesn't have a way to heal himself and Shaymins Leech Seed Helps him there. And any Poison type that threatens Shaymin can be taken down with his Earthquake.

Revenge Killer:

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Moxie
Jolly
Atk +252 / Sp +252 / Hp +4
-Close Combat
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Do you remember how I mentioned Gengar and Ferrothorn Leads threaten my Kabutops. Well Heracross can outspeed both and can get get super effective damage on them. Which is absolutely awesome. Moxie boost for a hopeful chance at a late game sweep.

A great moveset, typing, a chance to sweep, and great speed, all make it the perfect choice for a revenge killer.

Honestly, this thing can holds up the core more than anything. If anyone of the core members faint then Heracross can normally take its place and try to do its best. Which is why I will most likely will not use any other Revenge Killer.

Cleric:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Bold
Hp +252 / Def +252 / SpD +4
-Heal Bell
-Softboil
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss

Blissey is the cleric on the team. She was chosen so she can heal Shaymin and Suicune from their rest. She is also a great Toxic staller, with access to a way to heal herself, softboil. She has Seismic Toss in her moveset so that she can at least deal a little bit of damage without having to invest into her attack stats.

I don't have much to say, but my only note is that Heal Bell on Multiscale Dragonite is an illegal combination; Heal Bell is only available from XD, in which Multiscale didn't exist yet, and Multiscale is from the Dream World. Heal bell isn't an egg move either, so breeding it onto a Multiscale Nite wouldn't work either.

Also try running Guts or even Moxie on Heracross instead of Swarm and Flame Boddy on Volcarona.

Way better choices since Heracross wont fear status moves/gains more atack power after revengeing.
Flame Boddy on Volcarona helps on the rare ocasion when you try to set up on a physical poke.

@Seth Vilo - I thought Heal Bell was an egg move... -.- Anyway, I liked the idea of a toxic stalling poke with Heal Bell. Could I run a Blissey with the same intentions?

@BloodGod22 - Well, I had the intention of running a Heal Bell support poke, so having guts on Heracross seemed sort of pointless. And moxie on a choiced pokemon doesn't really work because the other plalyer can just go into something to wall the move I chose, and the moxie boost would be wasted. But, I think your right about Flame Body Volcarona.

I would also recommend Moxie on Heracross because Moxie Scarf Heracross is a huge late-game threat and is one of the strongest cleaners in the DW Tier. Much like Contrary Serperior, Heracross can come in and KO something with a high power attack and the Attack boost means often he can just smash through the resist that comes in and keep on doing it. If played correctly late-game, Moxie ScarfCross can rely on the Moxie boosts to become unstoppable, regardless of weaknesses or resistances to your opponent's team.

Guts also works fine on Heracross even with a cleric because Heracross still retains the ability to come in on a Burn or a Toxic and rather than being crippled he becomes even more threatening. Healing the Status with a Cleric doesn't change that. A cleric actually makes that easier because you can heal in case you came in on a Paralysis or Sleep.

I'm not too sure if Choice Scarf is a good item on your Kabutops. Focus Sash would allow it to retain much of its function while not rendering you helpless after setting up rocks or spinning. I would also recommend Aqua Jet on Kabutops because a priority move is a very useful thing to have this gen and allows Kabutops to support the team more. I would also use Stone Edge or Rock Slide in place of X-Scissor because it does more damage and you have other Pokemon on your team to handle the leads that you mentioned. (Also Azelf and Weavile are almost never seen.)

I hope this helps somewhat and good luck!

@No Luck Involved - I guess I'll try out moxie, but I'll see if I like it before anything is official. Also, I'll take your suggestions for Kabutops. He seems a bit more flexible without the scarf, and I also like having the priority on the team.

Thanks, everyone for posting so far. Any other changes that I can consider?

Hi, just a few more thoughts for you: Suicune's Water Absorb ability is really not that useful because you have no Pokemon to draw Water attacks for it and also it doesn't have the stats to either be a top tank or a top sweeper. Might I suggest an Unaware Quagsire set in its place?

Unaware Quagsire is one of the best walls of this generation imho and a Defensive set fits perfectly with Blissey tanking Special hits.

252 HP/252 Def/4 Spdef - Bold
-Recover
-Stockpile
-Swagger
-Scald

This set compliments Blissey and puts a stop to all boosting Physical sweepers and checks many Special boosters too. Swagger is your primary form of damage while Scald can wear down the enemy with Burn.

Quagsire will draw Grass attacks that Shaymin, Heracross and Volcarona can handle which gives Heracross an opportunity to come in and unleash an attack to soften up his switch-ins. It feels like your team should always be looking to culminate in a Volcarona or Heracross sweep so Quagsire along with Blissey can help wear down the enemy until the time is right for Volcarona or Heracross to end the game. Moxie would help too! ;)

@ No Luck Involved - Oh man, that works so much better than the Suicune I have...

The only problem I have with it is that the main purpose of the core is to lure in different types for the core to handle. And Quagsire has such a low Special Attack stat that it will be hard to take down the fire types that Shaymin draws in. Other than that I really, very much like this set and will be using it. Also, it could easily take down the Terrakion that you have.

Again, thanks to everyone that has been posting.

Yeah lol that Quagsire is a bitch but it is one of my favourite Pokemon of Gen 5 now. I only realised how good it was when one completely walled my Dragonite and Terrakion and by the time I realised it had boosted up so even Exeggutor couldn't break it. I got a lucky crit on a Ninetales Solarbeam though so that saved the embarrassment of a Quagsire sweep.

Btw if the Fire type is a special sweeper then Blissey can take it. If it is physical then it has no chance getting past Quagsire so it will need to switch while you can either heal up or Swagger. I don't think Fire types are a problem for you when you have those two working together, especially considering Stealth Rock will severely cripple them for Scarf Heracross to pick off later. I think this team works well in chipping away at the enemy for a Volcarona sweep and Heracross can clean up. Good luck and keep us updated how you get on!

edit: Bug is not super effective on Poison just so you know! You might wanna re-think your checks for gengar! XD

May i suggest this build for quaggy:

Evs 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk relaxed nature
- curse
- waterfall
- recover
- EQ

Focuses mainly on the physical side, but can sweep entire teams if you get some curses up. Works great as a switch in to physicals that come in for blissey

Without any steel types or ice/dragon type attacks dragon type pokemon like garchomp, latios, and dragonite could be very dangerous to your team.

I've been trying to think of a better lead for this team and it's suddenly hit me: Donphan!

Donphan boasts Ice Shard and a powerful Earthquake, he can use Endeavor as a lead set and he has Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin. He also has Sturdy meaning you don't need a Focus Sash. Get him in! ^^)

edit: Also you could consider Wish + Protect instead of Softboiled + Toxic on Blissey because Quagsire can spread Burn and this gives you an option to heal your team. Wish sets often sound better on paper than they actually perform though but it's worth a try.

A tentacruel lead could work with this team:
toxic spikes, barrier, Hydro Pump, rapid spin or something of that sort

To add on to No Luck's comment, Donphan does not take x4 from ferrothorn's power whip, and has a better lead set, though aqua jet on kabutotops is a nice touch. Otherwise, nice team, though I would prepare a pokemon or two for Gengar or maybe even Chandelure, because with shadow ball those two could take a big chunk out of your team.

@ No Luck Involved - I'm going to have to stick with my Kabutops on this one. Its less predictable and Quagsire seems a bit weak as far as offensive water goes. And I really like the Aqua Jet on him. But, in the end I might go with Tentacruel so I can put Ice Beam on him so I don't get absolutely crushed by Dragon types. Also, I probably will end up making Bliss a wish protector. And I'm considering Waterfall + Curse on Quagsire... BTW I keep forgetting that Gengar resists bug... and now that Axmaster68 pointed it out, I really don't have anything good against ghost types except for Blissey. Is there anything I can do about it?

@ Sogeking - I like the cursing Quagsire set, but ultimately I think Quagsire's main job is to stop stat boosters and get them burned + confused... But, idk I might go for:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Bold
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Atk
-Recover
-Curse
-Waterfall
-Swagger

Also, as far as lead Tentacruel goes, I prefer stealth rocks over toxic spikes. But, I do really like the idea because he well supports my Quagsire. Plus, as Mamoswineflu pointed out I have a big weakness to a lot of dragons. I might have to go with Tentacruel so I can put Ice Beam on him to help that a little bit.

@ Mamoswineflu - You're very right. Now that Suicunes gone idk what I can really do about it. Maybe replace S toss on Blissey for Ice Beam. Even thought that won't be enough I might go with Tentacruel lead with Ice Beam as well.

@ Axmaster68 - Your right about Gengar and Chandelure, Blissey is really the only one who can handle them...

I think you can do without Blissey now. With Natural Cure, Shaymin shouldn't need it after it uses Rest (unless there was a change in mechanics), and now you use Quagsire which has recover. Wish could be an alternative (Toxic+Protect+Wish is pretty effective), but your defensive core has reliable recovery already. Can't think of a suitable replacement off the top of my head.

@ Dragon-Shinobi - You're right, how about a specially defensive Umbreon. It will help with my Gengar / Chandelure problem.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
Careful
252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
-Moonlight
-Payback
-Curse
-Toxic

On volcarona, you should replace the Sdef EVs for Def EVs because you are running a Sdef boosting move. Other than that, good job. And thanks for the conkeldurr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)