ORAS UU Firebird Suite (peaked #1)

Hi everyone! I recently got back into competitive pokemon after a long hiatus. I honestly think the meta right now is the best it's been for a while, especially for tormenting players on the ladder with stall teams. This is my most successful team since my return, and I am very proud of it. I have reached a peak of #1 with an ELO of 1891, which is quite high, and I have beaten some good players with it as well.

This team is special because it uses Moltres which is quite unconventional, especially in stall teams. The defensive defog set is one I have been using since early last year. Back then the set worked well but the meta was very hostile to stall and the team as a whole fell quickly to very common threats. Now, however, Celebi is back in the tier, and I realise now that she was the missing piece of the puzzle. With Celebi around to neutralise opposing wincons, Moltres is free to spread burns, havoc, and fun for all involved!

Here is the team:

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Perish Song

I really like this set because no-one expects it, and even though more astute players expect it now since I've been using it a lot, it still works really well. TrickScarf bulky Cele fills three functions on this team. The first and most important is to prevent last pokes like Reuniclus and Crocune from running through my team. The second, also very important function is to neutralise set up sweepers like NP PZ, Cobalion, opposing Celebi and whatever other random sets the metagame throws at you. The third function is to revenge kill dangerous threats that often show up late game and which my team struggles with - specifically Sharpedo. Essentially, Celebi is my anti-anti-stall pokemon.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Moltres is the star of the show! This set works because Moltres can switch in safely and beat most entry hazard setters in todays metagame. It beats Krook lacking Stone Edge, Donphan, Forretress, Empoleon, Tentacruel, Maggron, Mamoswine, Chesnaught, Bronzong, Metagross and others I can't think of right now. Pressure+ Defog enables Defog's pp to outlast stealth rocks' which decides games in Stall v Stall situations. This means it beats Blissey and Gligar as well if they lack Toxic. In theory it beats rocks Celebi too but I don't think people run that anymore. The only rock setters it loses to off the top of my head are offensive Megapert, offensive Emp, and Maero. It's also a decent switch into Conk, which my team hates, and forces enough switches to make it good at spreading burns. Air Slash lets it get around 30% on Entei switch-ins, which wears it down quickly. So many teams are so unprepared for this it's just great.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Suicune forms 1/3 of the defensive core, along with Blissey and Aggron. This core is pretty standard to stall so I shouldn't need to go too in depth with the explanation. However having two shufflers allows me to put a lot of 'pressure' (haha) on the foe, and allows me to make full use of Toxic Spikes. Generally my game plan will be to whittle away at the enemy until Cune or Aggron walls the surviving members of my opponent's teams.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest

Tentacruel is really good at beating the fighting types my team struggles against. Also in a Sylveon-infested meta he (/she?/it??) gets plenty of opportunities to set up T-spikes, which is more or less my clutch method of dealing with the dangerous threats Crawdaunt, Shark, etc. It has Rest because I love the feeling I get, knowing the frustration of my opponent when he/she's about to kill Tenta after 100+ turns of gruelling stall, and then - Surprise! Another 400+ turns to go LOL! anyway tl;dr Rest helps in stall v stall and tbh i've never really felt the loss of knock off/acid spray.

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Def / 200 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Pretty common on stall. Rocks makes Bliss useful in its free turn. Still a free switch for fighting types but #YOLO lol. EVs mean it isn't 2HKO'd but a +6 NP Celebi Psychic but I don't find myself in that situation very often so I might change it back to standard.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam
- Roar

Hehehe. Aggron rounds out the team by being a Knock-Off absorber, shuffler, Shark counter, and all round nice guy. He also stops Haxorus from 6-0ing me as well as a bunch of other threats I can't think of off the top of my head. I hate relying on wish support (ugh) so that's why he's ResTalk. Also RNG can be fun!

Threats: (in order of danger level)
Hoopa - biggest threat to the team. Completely bodies me lol. My record against sparrow's Hoopa team is 1-4 or something. I have beaten a few Hoopa teams but it's hard. Basically I have to Trick it a scarf, constantly have T-spikes on the field, or never switch to Blissey ever. Fortunately Hoopa isn't common so this team still does pretty well.

Offensive dark types: Shark, Crawdaunt, Mabsol. These boys don't know when to stop bullying. They have to grow up and get over their insecurities... really. Aggron kind of beats all three, but I have to keep him healthy which is hard when they get a def drop or a Crabhammer Crit. I also can't safely switch in when he hasn't mega'd yet. With Shark and Crab I usually leave Cele with its scarf so it can revenge kill them with Giga drain if they start running wild. With Absol - weeeellll it's not really that common...

Bulky Fighting Types: Conk and Machamp. I hate people who use Machamp and what they stand for. I will not discuss them here. Bulk up Conk is pretty dangerous. Moltres can 3HKO with Air slash though, Tenta has liquid ooze, and if all else fails I can pp stall drain punch with Cune and keep phazing or... trick it a scarf? idk. Usually it just gets worn down over the course of the match tbh. I think the presence of tenta makes people afraid haha.

Importable
Celebi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Perish Song

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 240 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Def / 200 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam
- Roar

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-474931358 - vs Poke Coin (Hoopa and Conkeldurr)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-474591404 - vs Hogg (Volt-turn)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-477401092 - vs hjkhj (Stall)

Proof of peak:
peak.jpg

Anyway that's the team! This gen has had its ups and downs but I think it has really ended on a high note (for stall). I only hope next gen brings some power creep to stall moves as well. Like maybe scald will have a 100% burn chance! how exciting! anyway I will leave that for discussion elsewhere. I hope you like this team (:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)