SM OU Fire's Fury (feat. Volcarona)

Fire's Fury

Volcarona is one of my favourite Bug-types ever, because a) it's a bug type that can actually do shit, b) It's also a devastating sweeper and c) I like its design quite a lot. So I built this team around Volcarona and it actually worked quite well. Well, here goes nothing.

Teambuilding Process

Volcarona was the pokemon I based the team around, a devastating setup sweeper.

Rocks really hurt Volcarona. So Tapu Fini was chosen as it is a great defogger and synergises well with Volcarona, as Volc beats Grass-types for Tapu Fini.

So I needed an answer to Water-types and I decided on AV Tangrowth. Takes special hits well, can heal by switching and it's great in general.

I needed a good wallbreaker, and Mega-Gross fits the mold extremely well.

Tapu Lele was picked to be a revenge killer. It also sets up Psychic Terrain which Volcarona loves, as it blocks priority.

Lando-T was chosen as a SR Setter, and also an answer to Electric-types. It can also grab momentum with U-Turn.

The squad, in all of it's glory

The Members

Exoid (Volcarona) @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance

The Star of the Show, Volcarona is terrifying once it gets a boost of Quiver Dance set up. Bug Buzz for STAB and HP Ground for a 'screw you' to Heatrans and Toxapexes. I have also used Fire Blast for my other STAB. With the Firium-Z, Inferno Overdrive is STAB 185 BP (basically a shit ton) and allows me to blast through some of its checks. EVs and Nature for maximum speed and special attack.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

A Ground-type is always a good pokemon to have on a team, to check Electrics like Tapu Koko, and Lando-T is one of the best. It checks Stealth Rock wears down opposing Pokemon and makes it easier for Volcarona to blast through the remainders of their team. Earthquake is STAB, Stone Edge kills opposing Mega Pinsirs and Charizards which would threaten Volcarona. A (relatively) slow U-Turn gains momentum for the team.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth was chosen as a specially defensive tank/bulky pivot that can kill Tapu Fini (but also other bulky waters like Slowbro and Toxapex), Pokemon that would hinder Volcarona's sweep. Giga Drain regains health and is STAB, Knock off gets rid of contraband items, and EQ for Toxa and Koko. HP Ice nails opposing Lando-T's, Garchomps (Scarfchomp checks Volc at +1) and Gliscors. EVs to max out special bulk.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Ok, I shouldn't have to mention why Mega Metagross is a good wallbreaker, as you probably already know by now. The moveset is pretty standard, Clear Body before Mega-Evolution is good to avoid attack drops. I have opted for Hammer Arm over Thunder Punch because Tangrowth nails Tapu Fini and Volc nails Skarm/Celesteela. Hammer Arm tears through Chansey and Heatran, two Pokemon problematic for Volcarona. Oh, and it kills Fairies too. Nice.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Your standard scarfed revenge-killer Tapu Lele here. Psychic Terrain is beneficial for Volcarona because it blocks priority that would otherwise be bad for it, like Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack and Aqua Jets from Golisopod, Araquanid and Azumarill. Psychic and Moonblast are STAB and have good coverage, Focus Blast for coverage and Thunder is another way to screw over Toxapex, Fini, Skarm and Celesteela. I felt like Thunderbolt wasn't dong enough damage to max SpD Finis and Celesteela so I went for Thunder for more power. Also good vs opposing rain teams.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SpA
- Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Tapu Fini has a lot to love. It provides Defog support, great for Volcarona as it hates SR. It is also a stallbreaker, able to shut down most walls not named Mega-Sableye with Taunt + NM (and Lele deals with that anyway). Scald gives me water-type coverage. I have gone here for a physically defensive variant. Interestingly, Fini, Tangrowth and Volcarona also create a FGW core.

Conclusion
It's a great team, and I haven't gotten many losses with this team at all. However, there are some things which I think could done even better, which is why I came to this forum for help. Things I have considered include:

-Ferro over Tangrowth, though you lose a good pivot (but gain Spikes and Leech Seed)
-Ash-Greninja and Skarm over Fini and Lando-T, for a secondary wallbreaker/cleaner and role compression in Skarmory.

Timid Nature

- Bug Buzz

- Hidden Power [Ground]

- Fire Blast

- Quiver Dance

Impish Nature

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

- Stone Edge

- U-turn

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest

Sassy Nature

- Giga Drain

- Knock Off

- Earthquake

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolly Nature

- Meteor Mash

- Zen Headbutt

- Ice Punch

- Hammer Arm

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature

- Psychic

- Moonblast

- Thunder

- Focus Blast

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SpA

- Bold Nature

- Scald

- Defog

- Taunt

- Nature's Madness

Hey man, this is a cool team and I actually have seen some similar stuff which I've toyed with.

The first thing i'd like to recommend is Giga Drain > Bug Buzz on Volc. You lose out on the generally good neutral coverage, but you gain a really powerful move that can even make water mons like rotom-w set-up fodder, that still adds a lot to your coverage. Bug Buzz doesn't really hit much (latios? ttar? not seen much, and lati is ohkoed by +1 z-fire blast anyway), so its not a huge loss regardless. Without dug you'll need hp ground, but buzz isn't that great.

On Metagross, you definitely should be running Earthquake. You're extremely weak to gross especially if they get rocks up, or if you have psychic terrain from your own lele up. EQ hits practically everything better than hammer arm other than ferro and like skarm/celes which you don't really touch without tpunch anyway.

Another problem I noticed was that with opposing DD Landos, you struggle to take it out because you lack hp ice on lando, and tang would struggle to live a hit without any physdef investment. I think you should heavily consider switching up your bulk on tang (max sdef av doesn't seem totally necessary, but I may be wrong) or running hp ice on lando. If you're worried about making sure you can better take on Pinsir and Zard-Y (especially the latter), Scarf Nihilego is a decent option over Scarf Lele. It doesn't have terrain to block prios like aqua jet but misty terrain is much better support for volc anyway, and you can revenge zard-y and pinsir with ease, while switching into everything but earthquake for zard. Nihi has much better sweeping potential than lele because of beast boost and good, decently spammable STABS + coverage, so its an option worth looking into.

This is a fairly solid framework so theres not much more to say, you just have to find the right tweaks that can pick the squad up a notch. Hopefully my suggestions are helpful, good luck with your team! n_n

Thanks for the rate! I played a bit with these changes and I found the following:

- EQ on Gross was a great idea, not many people expect it that much tbh (most expect elemental punches) and I have better coverage generally now.
- Giga Drain has served fairly well on Volcarona, as I am now able to break Fini and rock types easier.
- Tangrowth has base 50 SpD and 100 Def, which is why max SpD is usually preferable. I am considering physical, though i lose a special backbone.
- Scarf Nihilego was something i was humming and haring about, but I no longer have to run Stone Edge on Lando-T, meaning i can use HP Ice. I have also changed Ice Punch to Thunder Punch on Metagross, as ice coverage on 3 Pokemon seemed a bit redundant. However, I have a much harder time beating Mega-Sableye without Tapu Lele.

New Team
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Last edited:

Robb576

It's all in the numbers
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This team looks pretty good. I'm trying to make a Volcarona-team as well and your team shows a great example. The things that I deem wrong could be personal things, but I'll note them here. Maybe they come in handy, maybe not.

First thing that comes to my attention is that, although you have plenty of options to defeat Rock pokemon, you have few ways to beat Fighting-types, being limited to Fini's Moonblast and M-Gross' inaccurate Zen Headbutt. You have good options to wall those Fighting-types, but the potential Rock coverage on those pokemon hinders Volcarona of setting up QD safely.

Choice Scarf Nihilego moves are all not good to be locked into, with both its STAB moves being resisted by Steel and Ground pokemon, Thunder being inaccurate outside of rain and a neutral HP Fire being weak. Sure, it does a good job as revenge killer, but quite some opponents will switch against Nihi, fearing a Beast Boost. You could also put the last 4 EV's in HP or SpD, because I think that a strong physical hit would dent Nihilego nearly beyond repair. With or without Def investment. (My own team is using Choice Scarf Kartana, which I now realise to have the same problems as Nihi, but it can heavily dent non-Toxapex water types)

Although very niche, Lando-T could use a type-resistant berry to survive against opposing Lando-T with HP Ice or to suprise kill offensive water type once it has set up SR.

Lastly, you could use defensive Latias instead of Tangrowth, as it has access to Defog to clear entry hazards, Healing Wish to heal your Volcarona, (most of the time) a set which doesn't care about Scald burns, a dragon-typing which makes it water-resistant and a secondary psychic-typing to take on Fighting pokemon.

I hope this is useful for you. I'm new to this and have nearly no teambuilding skill.

Last edited:
This team looks pretty good. I'm trying to make a Volcarona-team as well and your team shows a great example. The things that I deem wrong could be personal things, but I'll note them here. Maybe they come in handy, maybe not.

First thing that comes to my attention is that, although you have plenty of options to defeat Rock pokemon, you have few ways to beat Fighting-types, being limited to Fini's Moonblast and M-Gross' inaccurate Zen Headbutt. You have good options to wall those Fighting-types, but the potential Rock coverage on those pokemon hinders Volcarona of setting up QD safely.

Choice Scarf Nihilego moves are all not good to be locked into, with both its STAB moves being resisted by Steel and Ground pokemon, Thunder being inaccurate outside of rain and a neutral HP Fire being weak. Sure, it does a good job as revenge killer, but quite some opponents will switch against Nihi, fearing a Beast Boost. You could also put the last 4 EV's in HP or SpD, because I think that a strong physical hit would dent Nihilego nearly beyond repair. With or without Def investment. (My own team is using Choice Scarf Kartana, which I now realise to have the same problems as Nihi, but it can heavily dent non-Toxapex water types)

Although very niche, Lando-T could use a type-resistant berry to survive against opposing Lando-T with HP Ice or to suprise kill offensive water type once it has set up SR.

Lastly, you could use defensive Latias instead of Tangrowth, as it has access to Defog to clear entry hazards, Healing Wish to heal your Volcarona, (most of the time) a set which doesn't care about Scald burns, a dragon-typing which makes it water-resistant and a secondary psychic-typing to take on Fighting pokemon.

I hope this is useful for you. I'm new to this and have nearly no teambuilding skill.
1) Fighting-types do not normally pose a massive threat to my team, most are safely dealt with by Tapu Fini and Metagross, which resists the rock-type coverage on them, if they even choose to carry them at all (the only fighting type i see that usually carries rock coverage as standard is Terrakion which isn't even common). Oh and I added Tapu Lele back onto my squad to deal with stall easier, I'm sorry for not updating it.

2) I have decided to stick with Tapu Lele over Nihilego, sorry that I didn't update it. I'll do it now.

3) I feel like this is a bit too situational, very niche as you said. But thanks anyways, I might consider it but so far i quite like punishing resisted physical hits.

4) The whole point of Tangrowth is to take on Water Pokemon that threaten Volcarona. I don't feel that Latias achieves this too well, and I really don't need a second Defogger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)