First Attempt at a Team

Hey guys. I've been interested in playing against people on wi-fi for a while, so now, I've decided to attempt to get a team established. So here's my idea for one. Basically, I wanted to try to have a team consisting of pokemon that have preferably one or no weaknesses and hopefully use them in a way to help cover their weaknesses, so here's my shot at achieving that goal. Most of these pokemon EV-wise are based on those from either the moveset masterlist thread or from Smogon just to warn you.

Gyrados @ Leftovers
Adamant
216 HP/ 16 ATK/ 176 DEF/ 100 SPE
Waterfall
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Taunt

Basically a BulkyGyrados. Even though he has 2 weaknesses, the major reason why I was considering him was because I figured that he would make a nice pair with Electivire since they almost cover each other's weaknesses. On the other hand though, I don't really have anybody on my team that is resitant to any rock moves so Stone edge would hit everyone for neutral damage, although when I think about it, Scizor or weezing could probably take the hits better than everyone else on the team.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Impish
184 HP/ 172 DEF/ 148 SPE
X-Scissor
Agility
Baton Pass
Roost

My Speed Baton Passer, only being weak to fire. Most of my team are more on the slowside of the spectrum so I figured they can use a speed boost.

Electivire @ Life Orb
Lonely
252 ATK/ 80 SP. ATK/ 176 SPE
Thunderbolt
Cross Chop
Earthquake
Ice Punch

Basically a standard Electivire, with his ony weakness to ground. I would've gone the Adamant route, while I was hatching for adamant with good IV's, I stumbled upon this one with better IV's then the other eggs I was hatching...so I decided to keep it.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers/Wide Lens (to help with Hypnosis)
Modest/Calm
252 HP/ 6 DEF/ 252 SP. ATK
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power (Fighting)
Nasty Plot/Calm Mind?
Hypnosis

I know....a little bit out of the ordinary. While I would run a more standard set, I figured that at the time when I was considering using this version, since my team needed special attackers, Spiritomb woud be an interesting candidate. Besides, he has no weaknesses (unless I happen to run into somebody using foresight, then fighting and bug moves would have a field day with him). Basically the plan is to sleep the opponent, then power up with Nasty Plot on the next turn (or 2 if I get lucky).

Considering changing into a special sponge since my team doesn't really have one atm. I'm not sure about going without a special tanker, and if I end up needing one on my team, then I'll pick Spiritomb for the job.

EDIT: Considering changing his nature to Calm and make use of Calm Mind over Nasty Plot, although getting HP fighting again is gonna be a pain in the ass.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Timid, Adaptability
6 HP/ 252 SP. ATK/ 252 SPE
Tri-Attack
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse

Gotta have a normal pokemon...only weakness against fighting afterall, which is covered by Spiritomb. Basically a Special Sweeper with a +speed nature and Choice Scarf to help out with its speed. I had Hyper Beam in there because if anything, I figured I ccould use it as a last resort if it's fate ends up being inevitable.

I'm considering Dark Pulse instead of Hyber Beam.....while I like the idea of the amount of damage that it can do with it,, with Dark Pulse, I'm not completely walled if the opponent switched to a Ghost type.

EDIT: Decided to change its nature to Modest and chose Dark Pulse over Hyper Beam.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Bold
252 HP/ 252 DEF/ 6 SP. ATK
Flamethrower/Fire Blast?
Thunderbolt/Haze?
Pain Split
Will-O-Wisp

He's basically there for support, with his only weakness to psychic moves thanks to Levitate. He can also cover for Electivire if worse comes to shove. Haze for getting rid of stat changes, WoW for another status infliction as well as helping to make him a better makeshift physcal tank.

Thinking about replacing Haze for Flamethrower or Fire Blast so he can still cover those grass pokemon that he's supposed to have "super-effective" attacks on, as well as have another damaging attack to choose from.

EDIT: Consdering switching Thunderbolt for Haze. I think I'm going to keep whicheverFire attack so it can actually kill the type that it's suppose to be supper-effective against: grass.

I've noticed off the back that my own team might have a weakness to BulkyGyrados with the use of Taunt, so that's 1 concern. Another concern is whether or not I have too many sweepers and not enough support, vice-versa, or just enough.

I also was considering other pokemon to replace some members of the team. Basically it's between Scissor, Forrettress, and Bronzong for team support and their same weaknes to fire. Another conflict is between Swampert and Gyrados, as Swampert goes along with the 1-type weakness theme but Gyrados tends to work better with Electivire. As for Porygon-Z, his slot is pretty much up for grabs between him and other good normal pokemon.

uhhh pretty solid. I'll offer some tweaks

your siczor is kinda a wasted slot and kinda disrupts the synergy since you teams relys on other ways of getting speed.maybe go with a forretress so you can have spin and spike support, much needed in the metagame.

no need for wide lens if it's only helping on one move on spiritomb. Also, if you want a special sponge then there's really not much you have to change. just change the nature to calm and ev spread to max lefties recovery and the rest evenly into spA/spD. Then calm mind is the obvious choice. so it'll have high spA and spD and you get the best of both worlds there.

try adjusting the ev's on your weezing as they seem over kill. use a maximum recovery number for leftovers/black sludge, there's a list here on somogon so just search for it. then put the rest into spA since he won't be outspeeding anything.

On porygon, +speed and choice scarf realy isn't necessary. try modest over timid since thats a little overkill.and remember, two tri attacks > one hyperbeam, so go with dark pulse.

you need at least a phazer and all you got is weezing so i guess you'll have to sacrifice an attacking move for haze.

could be a sturdy team, i don't really know if i helped i'm not exactly the best rate >.> lol

anyway good luck

I was considering changing Scizor with either Forretress or Bronzong since since the support they provide might be more important for the team than passing speed, not to knock it down as it can help. It doesn't help that the Scizor I raised already has only has 18-19 Def IV's *sighs*.

Your Idea for running a Calm Spiritomb w/ Calm Mind is a pretty good idea...gonna think about it.

I'll look into that magic recovery number for weezing...and my bad...I meant SP. ATK. Also Took your advice on Porygon Z.

Thans for the advice. Anyone else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)