1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

First Attempt at OU Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Anchormon92, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anchormon92

Anchormon92

So I'm really new to competitive battling (haven't battled anyone yet), but I found Smogon and have been reading for the past few weeks. This is my first attempt at an OU team, and I want to do it on my SoulSilver game.

Basically the idea behind it is to load up on the residual damages and entry hazards. Again, this may be some noob strategy, but here was my attempt.

Please be forgiving of the formatting. I can change it if there's some protocol I should be following.

Lead: Forretress
    Careful Nature
    Shed Shell
    Sturdy
    252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD

Spikes
    Stealth Rock
    Rapid Spin
    Payback/Explosion

I liked the idea of the Specially Defensive Forretress. I think Payback works better to take away anti-spinners and keep Forretress alive, since he is also my spinner, but suicide lead seems interesting too. I would go with Payback right now.

Support: Tentacruel
    Relaxed Nature
    Black Sludge
    252 HP/120 Def/136 SpD
    Clear Body

Toxic Spikes
    Barrier
    Sludge Bomb
    Hydro Pump

So I ran into a shiny Tentacool in the wild and caught it. Turns out it has some nice IVs (29/12/26/12/31/24), so I'd like to use it. I think this set is nice. I'm just not sure how to spread EVs, so I'm copying some other sets Smogon has. Any help there is appreciated.

Spinblocker/Tank: Dusknoir
    Impish Nature
    Leftovers
    252 HP/28 Atk/228 Def
    Pressure

Pain Split
    Fire Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Shadow Sneak

Because I have Toxic Spikes, I felt I didn't need Will-o-wisp. I know the Toxic Spikes won't be up all the time, but I need the Fire type move, as you'll see I don't have any answer for Scizor (I don't think), unless I move Fire Punch to Tyranitar. I thought Shadow Sneak would take the place of Will-o-wisp nicely, but I can definitely bring the burn back for insurance.

Physical Sweeper/Sandstorm: Tyranitar
    Adamant Nature
    Choice Band
    180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spe
    Sand Stream

Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Pursuit
    Earthquake/Aqua Tail/Fire Punch

Awesome physical attacker, and it sets up the sandstorm, which would add more to the residual damages I'm trying to set up. Earthquake would be the only questionable move here, and although I'm not sold, I like it. Aqua Tail may be nice as well, as Tentacruel has my only other water attack, but it has lower accuracy and power. It is a serious consideration though, as I've included Earthquake in the moveset below.

Mixed Attacker: Metagross
    Quiet Nature
    Expert Belt
    80 HP/124 Atk/252 SpA/52 Spe
    Clear Body

Meteor Mash
    Psychic
    Earthquake
    Grass Knot

I love Metagross, and I love the idea of the mixed attacker. Not sure about the Expert Belt because I've already used Leftovers, but I like this set. Actually getting Hidden Power Fire through breeding, along with nature and decent IVs would be very hard, so I don't think I want to try.

Special Attacker: Porygon-Z
    Modest Nature
    Life Orb
    4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Adaptability

Tri Attack
    Dark Pulse
    Nasty Plot
    Agility

This one is my biggest question mark. I want a special sweeper, but Porygon-Z is a bit slow. Now if I end up with a Porygon with decent IVs and a useful Hidden Power, I'll use Hidden Power in exchange for one of the stat boosting moves. I'd probably get rid of Agility. However, I am prepared to scrap Porygon-Z altogether if I find a better special sweeper. I actually sorta like the idea of Agility and Nasty Plot together, but he definitely lacks coverage.

So that's it. My other option along with all these is to add a Trick Room element to it (replace Agility on Porygon-Z and maybe Shadow Sneak on Dusknoir and slow everyone down). I'm still trying to lay the foundation here, but any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis the Smogon Tour Season 16 Championis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

RMT rules:
    Since you yourself stated you haven't played anyone with this team yet then this'll get locked.
  3. Haunter

Haunter just outplay the coin flip...
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

See above. Play with your team for a few days, then PM me so I can unlock this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)