First CAP RMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alright, so it is time for my first CaP RMT, as well as my first overall RMT in ages. The strategy of this team is essentially to have balanced synergy between the pokemon, as well as weakening both offenseive and defensive threats to a point were Stratagem can sweep. It also takes use of odd EVs that can trick other players based off the movesets actually being used, but most are really experimental and are subject to change.

I won't be including a threat list just because I don't exactly know all of the biggest threats in the CAP Metagame, though I do have a general idea of what to watch out for.

It should be noted that this is a newer team from someone relatively new to the CaP Metagame, so please bear with me here.

The Team:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant (+Atk;-SpAtk): 140 HP / 240 Atk / 40 Def / 88 Spe
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

At first, it appears to be the standard Lead Tyranitar, Choice Band and all, but the EVs tell a different story. The Speed allows Tyranitar to outspeed regular Choice Band Tyranitar, outspeed base 70s with no speed EVs, and retain some more physical bulk.

I find the lowered speed much more helpful, since I increased physical bulk and attack.

Tyranitar also sets up Sandstream right away in order to get that SpDef boost for Stratagem as well as ruining sashes that would otherwise be a nuisance for my team, especially since I do not have Stealth Rock on this team.

Why Superpower over Earthquake? Other Tyranitar! I would have to switch out anyways the next pokemon, or die if it was Dugtrio, so might as well have a surefire kill. Earthquake has done nothing for me and I have not liked Pursuit at all, and Superpower has shown to be very viable as long as I switch out the next turn, which is usually what I do early game with Tyranitar, so I won't use this late game unless the other moves wouldn't be able to KO.

Summary: Powerful lead that provides support for my team, guaranteeing at least one kill on its own in most matches, as well as being able to get a surprise jump on other leads.

Edits to Tyranitar:
- Current EVs from 176 HP / 136 Atk / 196 Spe
- Superpower over Earthquake

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold (+Def;-Atk): 252 HP / 176 Def / 40 SpDef / 40 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Metal Sound

Anyways, this is the standard Zapdos set. Metal Sound over Toxic, Roar, or Thunderwave because it forces pokemon to switch more often, and in a less random manner, plus I like the extra damage that can possibly be dealt. Extra 4 speeds EVs are just in case I am stuck in a Zapdos vs. Zapdos situation, which has happened several times, and which I have also lost due to speed ties. I am trying to find a good balance of Physical and Special Bulky, since I am running into more special threats here, but the EVs still allow for Zapdos to survive 2 +2 LO Quick Attacks from Scizor and be able to ohko with Heat Wave.

Summary: Bulky Wall that counters many pokemon, can be used in numerous situations, and overall is a great team player in eliminating defensive and offensive threats alike.

Edits to Zapdos:
- Current EVs 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
- Heat Wave over HP Ice

Revenankh @ Leftovers
Shed Skin
Careful (+SpDef;-SpAtk): 252 HP / 116 Atk / 68 Def / 68 SpDef / 4 Spe
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Rest

With the speed, again, I find myself in same Pokemon match ups, and it has helped me greatly against other Revs. Plenty Bulky already plus I wanted some extra Attack power since most of the time I can get a few Bulk Ups in, and I want to make use of that other than through defense. That might change though.

I've heard my Rev called an "inverse" Revenankh, because of me Using Shadow Punch and Mach Punch as opposed to Hammer Arm and Shadow Sneak. Personally, there wasn't anything that I found the need for Ghost attack to have priority over, and I found Hammer Arm being useful only for Tyranitar, Blissey, and Heatran. Lucario and Stratagem are slight nuicances to this team, so I figured a Priority super effective againt them would be more useful than a super effective move where I would have to take a hit anyways. The Mach/Shadow Punch combination has been overall more useful, especially against other Revs: I can still Shadow Punch before they Rest and I can 3hko instead of 4hko, forcing them to use up their Rest PP Faster and causing them to lose their recovery. Afterwards, I have a +# Atk, +# Def Rev that can ko if not put a big dent in most pokemon before dying.

Summary: Takes advantages of Bulky EVs as well as a good attacking stat backed up by Reliable Recovery and Bulk Up to stall out and even sweep opponents.

Edits to Revenankh:
- Current EVs from 124 HP / 104 Atk / 136 Def / 136 SpDef / 8 Spe

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Calm (+Def;-Atk): 20 HP / 252 Def / 96 SpAtk / 140 SpDef
- Flamethrower
- Icy Wind
- Wish
- Toxic

Ah, WishBliss. Huge support for my team seeing as members will need some healing, plus I am able to scout with her. I originally had Pyroak here, but I like Blissey more now.

Icy Wind and Flamethrower cover what I need. Icy wind can also mess up dragons, as well as other fast pokemon that think they can get a free switch in. Scizor and jirachi dont like flamethrower. Heal bell illegal with Wish ='[ flamethrower stays

Icy Wind and Flamethrower don't have the best Coverage, and Heatran completely walls this thing, but damn does it get the job done! If I know heatran will switch in, I will Icy Wind and switch.

Summary: Best special wall to exist on top of the fact that it provides Health for my team and can stall out Pokemon into KO Range for everyone else.

Edits to Blissey:
- Current EVs from 252 Def / 80 SpAtk / 176 SpDef
- Calm from Bold
- Icy Wind over Protect (aromatherapy apparently illegal with wish)

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Natural Cure
Modest (+SpAtk;-Atk): 196 HP / 252 SpAtk / 60 Spe
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Psychic

Originally Starmie was here as a Check to Stratagem, but I found that it doesnt do best against him, but rather other Pokemon in the metagame. With bulky EVs, able to outspeed Timid Heatran and even Ninjask (since I didnt feel like settling with a tie with anything on the speed tiers list) with a whooping 420 speed, it can ko if not at least weaken many pokemon that cause trouble for my team and put them in KO range for everything else. Very important part of my team, but I am debating the moves. The ones that I use the most are actually Surf and Psychic, but for now I have Ice Beam and Hidden Power Fighting as other attacking Moves. I have not found Rapid Spin useful on Starmie truth be told.

Bulky EVs because I didnt require many Speed EVs, so I thought Starmie might as well last a while. Perhaps I can put Trick on here?

Summary: Very speedy special sweeper that eliminates many threats. If not, at least weakens them fast then they can retaliate in time for Other pokemon to finish the job.

Edits to Starmie:
- Current EVs from 236 HP / 252 SpAtk / 20 SpDef
- Hidden Power [Fighting] over Hidden Power [Fire]

Stratagem @ Life Orb
Technician
Timid (+Spe;-Atk): 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
- Ancientpower
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Vacuum Wave

Stratagem is one of the best sweepers I have ever used. Great STAB on top of the Technician boost and Life Orb means that all of his attacks will be able to KO anything as long as it is weakened a tiny bit. Max Speed and Special Attack are musts here, as I want the most damage done as possible with this guy. Can come in multiple times in a match if need with help from Blissey and Wish, but is usually reserved for near the end of a game when I am ready for a sweep and counters are out of the way.

Vacuum Wave is my fourth move just because of Scarf Users (Heatran and friends) and Lucario.

Summary: End game sweeper that utilizes high speed and powerful special attacking methods hitting a plethora of types for super-effective damage from a high special attack stat.

Edits to Stratagem:
- Vacuum Wave over Hidden Power [Flying]

This team is very open to changes in actual Pokemon, with the exception of Stratagem. Aside from that the others can be easily substituted.

I will be editing later, so if you feel somethings lack explanation, I will be able to elaborate. However, I feel that there should be enough detail for now to get a good understanding of my team. CAP is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time, and I really want to be a part of it, so hopefully getting better in battling here will help me a lot. Thanks in advance for any rates or advice. Feel free to test out this team.

Update 1 - 11/21/08:

1. After some more playing, blocking spikes or getting a spinner I think will be more beneficial for this team.

2. I am going to ReEV Starmie to outspeed +1 Speed Stratagem, simply because of Ancient Power. Will put final EVs up soon.

edit: doing so will take to much from special attack, so will set another target to outspeed something else

3. Updated with new EV spreads for actually most of my team, but I feel they are all for the best.

Update 2 - 11/26/08

Minor Stuff

1. Superpower on Tyranitar = boatloads of help

2. 3rd move on Starmie = not enough moveslots

3. Stratagem 4th move = Possible change due to HP IVs making me lose every speed tie.

4. realized i had punch instead of sneak on rev on accident. whoops

Update 3 - 11/29/08

Changes to Movesets, most importantly Starmie and Rev

I feel Starmie is the weakest Link in this team, but I don't know what could replace it, or if it is a good fit, what can be used in its place?

Hmm I'm not very good at RMT but I figure no one else has looked at it yet so I should say something.
I'm impressed, I can't see any gaping holes at the mo.

The only thing I'm worried about is SD Bullet Punchers i.e. Scizor and especially Lucario since Zapdos gets 2HKO'd by SD Extremespeed and Starmie is a OHKO with Stealth Rock or any other residual damage.

All the other pokes on your team are at risk.

Rev can't 2HKO Luke with Mach Punch unless it has a Bulk Up already. SD BP from either Scizor or Luke is a 2HKO with Sandstorm.

Maybe consider Heat Wave on Zap so it can OHKO both Scizor and Luke? Or keep the standard Hammer Arm on Rev to OHKO Luke.

I think Vacuum Wave on Stratagem is a OHKO on Luke after a CM but that requires changing your set quite alot and Gem still can't switch in on either Bullet Puncher.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not sure I like your EVs, because they're so far from the "tried and true", but if you say they work then be my guest.

Anyway, Aromatherapy is illegal with Wish on Blissey (Aromatherapy is Egg, Wish is Event), so how exactly are you testing it? Same with Mach Punch/Shadow Sneak, they're in compatible egg moves.

Use Pursuit over Earthquake, its more useful for hitting Pokemon that you just need to go down.

As for the team itself, its very solid, if not VERY standard nowadays. Teams like this usually come down to hax when facing each other.

heh, looks like i missed your post while editing, and it looks like we agree on a few things. Thanks for the rate. I am smart enough to not keep Starmie in Lucario, but even then I have yet to run into one here. Scizor I have taken care of with Zapdos, and I am considering running HP Fire on Starmie over Bolt or Ice Beam. I can ohko lucario with hammer arm, and the power is why i am using it right now. I am not a big fan of Vacumm Wave on Gem as it would be pretty much only for Luke, and it doesnt even do 50% to CBTar iirc

edit: AND tennis' post while posting this xD

I havent been using aromatherapy that much so I will use protect over it again. I am using Hammer Arm now so I will be sure not to switch bake to Mach Punch, but I could have sworn that shoddy tells you illegal combinations.

I will consider pursuit on tar

and yes i realize that this team is somewhat standard, but I feel that the EVs help distinguish it from others, plus similar set ups are some of the best ways to make use of Stratagem

oh, and what EVs would you be suggesting?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Those would be:

176 HP / 252 Att / 76 Spe on Tyranitar
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe on Zapdos
252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD on Revenankh
252 Def / 80 SpAtk / 176 SpD on Blissey
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe on Starmie

I don't mind non-standard things if there's a reason for it (outspeeding certain threats or surviving certain attacks), but if it's "to be different" I really don't see the point. I've never bought the whole "I use different EVs / BL Pokemon, so I'm different and better" mentality. Standard Pokemon and standard teams are standard for a reason y'know.

True, true, and at one point i had all of those EVs, but I am just experimenting and deviating from the norm not to just deviate, but in reality to see if there are better EVs that suit both this team and the CAP Metagame itself. Trust me, I'd be the last person to use BLs/weird EVs "just because"

EDIT: Toxic Spikes is a HUGE problem for this team. I am going to put Heal Bell on Blissey over Flamethrower. How can I fit rapid spin on this team? Starmie perhaps?

EDIT 2: Heal Bell Illegal with wish, ugh. Flamethrower again

EDIT 3: After more testing, toxic spikes isn't that big of an issue. Things that actually run this team are Trick (especially on Rev), status on Zapdos, Tyranitar, and Strata, and just well, spikes in general. I am going to experiment with Rapid Spin on Starmie, but what I really want to know is how could I fit both a cleric AND a Stealth Rock on this team? Wish is too good to pass up on Blissey, so I can't really replace that.

EDIT: how long have i had shadow punch instead of sneak? X_X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)