First Competitive Team

Which Lucario should i pick??

• Adamant, 5IV, Choice Scarf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jolly, 6IV, Mega Stone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't know the tier of all these pokemon, but i assume they are mostly on the high tiers. This team is mainly for battling friends and maybe online with random people, so i dont care much about tiers anyway, but if you have anything to tell me about them, i would still appreciate it.

Sylveon@LightClay. Timid(I wanted Bold). Cute Charm. Lead/Support Role. Max Def EV, then split the rest between HP and SpcAtt. Perfect IVs: Hp, Def, SpcDef, Speed
-Moonblast
-Light Screen
-Toxic
-Reflect
I like this pokemon because it is bulky and has a lot of support moves. Moonblast doesnt play around either. It is not the original nature and IVs that i wanted, but its close enough and its SHINY so im gonna use it anyway! My plan is to use Reflect to cover the poor phys defense, then toxic and light screen before switching out to a sweeper or rapid spinner if they put up entry hazards. The light clay is just for more protection for my sweepers.

Starmie@what item??? Timid. Natural Cure. RapidSpinner/SpecialSweeper Roles. EVs to SpcAtt and Speed. Perfect IVs: All except Att.
-Rapid Spin
-ThunderWave
-Surf
-Psychic
This one is pretty self-explanatory. I just need a rapid spinner to get rid of rocks that would be very bad for my jolteon. It also functions nicely as a pretty fast special attacker and the thunder wave will hopefully ensure that any other fast pokemon wont be fast for long! (Btw, breeding this pokemon took almost as long as all of the others combined. I hate genderless pokemon...)

Aegislash@Leftovers. Brave. No Guard. Setup-PhysSweep Role. EVs To HP/Att.
Perfect IVs: HP,Att,Def,SpcDef and managed to get a Speed IV of 0.
-Kings Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head
When i saw some of the hilariously bad pokemon ideas for this gen, this was one that i made fun of.. a sword pokemon? really??? I only ever used this pokemon because it could learn false swipe, but it quickly became my favorite pokemon and first ever pokemon to get to LV 100 in-game. Setup with a couple sword dances(hopefully under the protection of light screen and reflect from Sylveon) and go to town with Shadow Sneak!

Jolteon@Focus Sash???. Timid. Volt Absorb. SpecialSweeper. EVs to Speed/SpcAtt. Perfect IVs: All except Att.
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-??? Hidden Power(it would be dark according to the hidden power guy) or something else? I originally wanted Ice power to take out ground-types. Should i try to rebreed for ice or will dark be ok? How easy would it be to get 5 perfect IVs with Ice power?
This pokemon is obviously just a special sweeper. I want it to cover as many types as possible, So hidden power really helps.

Lucario@ChoiceScarf. Adamant. Inner Focus. ChoicePhysSweeper. EVs to Att/Speed?. Perfect IVs: All except SpcAtt.
-Close Combat
-Poison Jab
-Earthquake
-Extreme Speed
So i have a few questions about this one. Its just supposed to be a physical sweeper. However, I very luckily managed to get a perfect 6-IV JOLLY lucario. So, should i do this Choice scarf thing because of its somewhat low speed? or go with the 6IV Jolly with EVs in speed and MegaEvolve instead of choice scarf? Is Extreme Speed redundant on a choice scarf pokemon? Are Speed EVs on an already decently quick choice scarf pokemon worth it? Should i risk the lower defense with close combat or go mixed sweeper with Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere instead of CloseCombat and Extreme Speed? So many questions!! This pokemon is so versatile; I just cant decide! Any help here would be REALLY appreciated. Im definitely keeping poison jab and earthquake. I figure i dont need a steel STAB move because i have Aegislash and poison covers grass(i lack a fire move) and fairy which is resistant to fighting.

Salamence@Leftovers???. Jolly. Intimidate. BulkyPhysSweeper. EVs To Att/Speed. Perfect IVs: All except Spc Att.
-Dragon Dance
-DragonClaw
-Aerial Ace
-Roost
So i like roost because it makes me incredibly annoying, but i figure its only truly useful if they dont have an Ice attack to take me instantly out. Is the Set-Up idea with dragon dance worth it/viable considering that i already have a set-up pokemon(Aegislash) or should i go for another good move like Crunch? Is it bad to have both roost AND dragon dance on the same pokemon?

So i think this is mostly well balanced, but im so confused and torn as to what moves to finalize on. Obviously for all of the pokemon except Lucario, i can just try different moves and pick what i like, but i would like a better opinion than mine anyway. As for Lucario, im just lost. I really want to use it, I just dont know how! I tried to incorporate my favorites while still being a viable team. These pokemon were all on my original story-mode team except for starmie and sylveon, but competitive play is VERY different. Im a total noob who just did a lot of research and reading on breeding, but i need help on this whole team-building thing.

EDIT: SO i did more research on how hidden power works. basically with the perfect IV spread i chose on Jolteon, i can only get dark or dragon. Now im sad because i can only get ICE by lowering my speed IV

Last edited:
Seriously consider adding a mega pokemon to your team. Since you already have lucario I suggest you add that. Additonally, since you say you're a noob, I suggest stealing a team from someone else and playing with a team that you know is good (that way you don't come up with excuses for why you're losing, and you obtain a larger knowledge base before team building.
Some quick thoughts:
Espeon will function as a better light screener. If you want a lightclay screener, use espeon, and It'll also help you against taunt/conditions/etc. If you want a "defense against dragons," I suggest a different fairy like florges, azumarrill, or togekiss as they are just better pokemon in general.
Switch jolteon for rotom-w. It's just better this gen.
Give your aegislash sacred sword instead of iron head; you don't really need the coverage iron head gives you.
Switch salamence for multiscale dragonite; once again it's just a better option this gen.

cheers

Ok ill go with the Mega Lucario, but im keeping Salamence for now. I do plan on training a Dragonite, but ill do that during a break from school. I also really like espeon, but i went with Sylveon because its the nicest looking shiny eeveelution to me... and i just have to show off my shiny right? I already have an espeon-qualified eevee bred, so that might actually end up in my team pretty soon instead for serious battles. Why the Sacred sword though? Is a steel move really that negligible? My lucario will have fighting moves and no steel move.

Thanks for the advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)