First Gen 5 Team; Using Only my Favorite Pokemon

Intro:

Took a break from 4th gen about 9 months ago as the repetitiveness of seeing Scizor, Heatran, Metagross and Gyarados just become way too ridiculously boring. With the release of BW in Japan and the movesets, abilities and pokemon being announced, I began doing much research. Not just here but every pokemon site you can think of.

Battling competitively for me is quite challenging, but I really make it hard on myself by being extremely picky. I like battling with my favorite pokemon, not necessarily what is deemed popular nor strong in the pokemon community. This has led to many frustrating moments by sometimes being run over by opponents, but also some rather hilarious times (such as getting on a winning streak with a complete Eevee-lution team right here on Smogon).

When building this team, I wanted to make sure that I built a team that not only used my favorite 'Mon, but also one that tried as best to stay away from Entry hazards, ESPECIALLY Toxic Spikes-as they have been the bane to my pokemon battling existence. Whilst building this team, I not only did that (by having Tentacruel to absorb them and others that either have Levitate or are flying types), but I also made this team very weak to Stealth Rock (mainly to my favorite pokemon).

With that being said, let's dive right in, eh?

At a Glance:

Team:

Espeon @ Light Clay

Ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: Timid (+Speed/-Attack)
252 HP / 6 SpA / 252 Spd
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psyshock
-Toxic

Always has been my favorite Eevee-lution and good lord was Gen 5 kind to her. Magic Bounce just turns this little thing into an absolute mind game for the opponent. While effectively shutting down entry hazards and status moves, she begins to set up screens to make it easier for my sweepers to come in and set up.

Most times, Espeon makes an immediate entrance right on turn one as the opponent goes for Stealth Rock or any other set-up move or status enducing move right after I switch it in from Zapdos' Volt Switch. After a couple screens are up, I either use Toxic or switch out to a sweeper; who is almost always Conkeldurr.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb

Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant (+Attack/-S. Attack)
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback

One of my favorite gen 5 pokemon. While the thought of having two moves of the same type on a pokemon is a huge turnoff, they both obviously serve very different purposes. Drain Punch already has decent attacking power, but behind STAB, a Guts boost and a Bulk Up, anything not resisting it is in for a hurting. Being healed is a welcome bonus as he certainly isn't going to live long with 1/16th of his health being burned up (pun intended) every turn.

Mach Punch is there usually for a quick hit either right before he dies or to finish off a weakened pokemon. Payback hits fast pokemon rather hard although staying alive against strong special attacking Psychic moves proves difficult, if not usually impossible. Open to replacing this move with something better if possible.

Latios @ Choice Specs
/

Ability: Levitate
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
-Draco Meteor
-Psychic
-Surf
-Trick

Pretty standard latios set. Latios is all the rage right now in Gen 5, and for good reason. Specs Draco Meteor torches anything that doesn't resist it and almost always OHKO's a pokemon late game from them being battle worn.

In the early stages of the match, tricking Specs onto Blissey or other pokemon is always a welcome bonus. Latios is a key staple in my set as it's always been my favorite legendary. Hopefully Soul Dew stays unobtainable in Gen 5 so he has a chance at remaining unbanned.

Conclusion:

I am well aware that this team has holes, and many of them. Hell, it has questionable moves by even a questionable late-game sweeper. The point of this thread is to hopefully gain some help from Smogoners to hopefully help build this team even stronger so I can not only have fun with pokemon again, but fun with pokemon that I enjoy playing with. Any suggestions to switch pokemon and or/moves are welcome... as long as Scyther and Latios both stay. :]

Retired Team Members:

Zados @ Choice Scarf
/

Ability: Lightningrod
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunderbolt
- U-Turn??? (can't decide)

Zapdos ends up being my lead. With Scarf attached, he effectively becomes not only a great anti-lead hitting many types for super effective damage with the effective bolt-beam combo but also can be an effective revenge killer later in the match.

To be honest, his moveset is still quite up in the air and honestly, so is his place on my team. I mainly want/wanted to use him for scouting and getting a quick hit in before switching to an appropriate counter at the start of the match, but now I am starting to think that any other Electric type can do the same job effectively with Volt Switch (currently am debating switching him Magnetric). Perhaps I can keep him with a more defensive set instead?

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
/

Ability: Liquid ooze
Nature: Calm (+S. Defense/-Attack)
252 HP / 158 Def / 100 SpD
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin

Only is here because Empoleon doesn't have access to Rapid Spin. I originally had Empoleon on this team as a great partner to Latios but having half of my team weak to rock moves and Stealth Rock (one being quad weak to it), I had to make sure that I had a spinner. While hoping to keep rocks off of the field with my Espeon, it's always good to have a back up spinner, just in case.

Fairly standard Tentacruel with entry hazard support and somewhat wallish capabilities. Scald is there for the occasional random burn-which can only help Tentacruel with it's pathetic defense.

Scyther @ Eviolite
/

Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant (+Attack/-S. Attack)
6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Aerial Ace
-Bug Bite
-Brick Break

My all-time favorite pokemon bar-none. Finally, he is somewhat useable in Gen 5. I like bringing him in late-game where all he has to do is pick up weakened pokemon for the kill-which isn't that much of a problem as the modest defensive boosts he receives are often enough to still have plenty of health remaining to start sweeping. If the opponent is missing a rock attack (or if no stealth rocks are up), Scyther is one Swords Dance away at destroying the opponent. With his speed hitting 309, he generally outspeeds most of his threats.

Aerial Ace and Bug Bite are the obvious STAB moves and under Technician and a Swords Dance, cause hefty damage. Brick Break is there for a filler and for additional type coverage. Can also be replaced with Night Slash but it is often funny watching a Tyranitar and other powerful Dark types taking a OHKO from the once frail bug pokemon.

Sorry, but the only suggestion is to upgrade that Scyther to a Scizor. I mean, Scizor is a billion times cooler, lets be honest :P He is always a top used pokemon in japan and america for the last 5+ years for good reason. Update it with moves to fit his play style and such.

Scald from Cruel is useless. Surf. Your running spikes, so burn and poison is redundant.

Otherthan that, Zapdos is a useless lead. I would prefer to see Latios there with something to take care of steel types.

Sorry, but the only suggestion is to upgrade that Scyther to a Scizor. I mean, Scizor is a billion times cooler, lets be honest :P He is always a top used pokemon in japan and america for the last 5+ years for good reason. Update it with moves to fit his play style and such.
LOL, I won't deny that Scizor is cooler, but I personally like Scyther better. Obviously, stats wise, Scyther's attack is lower than that of Scizor but he does gain a lot better speed.

Also with his item he holds, both of his defenses are much better than that of Scizor although if one rock attack comes his way, he's done for. As stated before, this team is built with Scyther and Latios as the main stays so I really would like help on the other pokemon being switched out (while still being open to taking suggestions to moveset changes on all pokemon).

Scald from Cruel is useless. Surf. Your running spikes, so burn and poison is redundant.
Burn and poison is redundant but with many pokemon immune to Toxic Spikes, an occasional burn can do nothing but help my team, especially Tentacruel's poor defense, no?

Otherthan that, Zapdos is a useless lead. I would prefer to see Latios there with something to take care of steel types.
I don't disagree with you saying Zapdos is a poor lead. The lead pokemon on my team is honestly the pokemon I am most curious to get feedback from everyone on. Would preferably like it to be a scout pokemon for a quick switch immediately to Espeon.

Any ideas?

Above message is the point of all points.

Also, as for a lead, latios. lol.

No, toxic spikes is useless IMO. Its not great, and you gotta waste two turns laying them down.

No, toxic spikes is useless IMO. Its not great, and you gotta waste two turns laying them down.
Agreed on it being hard to pull off... especially this gen.

He was one of the last additions, and as stated before it was because Empoleon couldn't learn rapid spin. Not having rapid spin on this team thought would mean Scyther would have an even more difficult time staying alive.

Thoughts on a different spinner?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)