First Hyper Offensive Team

As the title suggests, this is my first attempt at a Hyper Offensive Team. Espeon leads, sets the screens, and then I set up depending on what gets put out there. Pretty simple. I'm looking for holes in type synergy mostly because I'm too lazy to myself, but any suggestions are welcome. You guys are awesome.

Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psyshock

She's in here to set up the screens and to deter/bounce back hazards and then get out of the way. I'd like to be able to more reliably set up stealth rock, but I've had success with her and they always say if ain't broke don't fix it, so she's here for now.

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Bounce

I love dragon typing. I was choosing between Gyrados, Dragonite, and Salamence. I may experiment with Dragonite, but I like the coverage Gyarados has. Bounce is to force out some bulkier grass types. He has a tough time with bulky water types, but that's what Virizion is for. As long as my opponent doesn't switch in something weak to fighting moves, I usually switch to Gyarados right after I get the screens up and attempt to set up.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

I've heard Choice Items shouldn't have a place on Hyper Offensive teams, but I love this set and it certainly packs a punch. If Scizor dies then he dies, just as long as I trap and kill any or all of my opponents ghosts before that happens.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch

Lucario is my second favorite to set up. It likes the screens but it can set up outside of them as well. Crunch for STAB, ExtremeSpeed has been key in revenge kills and in a pinch.

Scrafty (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hi Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

This slot is definitely open for adjustments. Ice Punch helps me deal with other Dragons, and Crunch with Ghosts. Hi Jump Kick after a dance is awesome. However, I feel that I use him mostly to break wear down some of my opponents pokemon and hardly ever actually get a sweep going.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Virizion is there for water types. Giga Drain can keep her alive longer, and Stone Edge for coverage. If I switch out Scrafty I'll swap Stone Edge with Hidden Power Ice, and that may even be a better idea given the lack of Ice typing I have in my movesets.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

Cool team! Although fighting types are strong, too many in one team creat a large weakness to Flying types- Skarmory, Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, and Gliscor are all pretty big threats to your team. You also lack special attackers- all but Espeon attack physically, and even Espeon only has two moves that even some physical walls such as Ferrothorn or Forretress can wall. Scrafty looks unnecessary here- Lucario does a lot of what Scrafty does- and much more reliably, too. Lucario's lack of speed boosting trades off for the fact that it has much more power and extremespeed. To help you deal with flying types and physical walls in general, I suggest you switch Scrafty for Scarfed Rotom-W. Rotom does a lot for your team- it KO's most flying types with Thunderbolt, and those that aren't KO'ed fall to Hydro Pump. Rotom's water typing and decent bulk allow you to take a few hits for your teammates, and it can work with Scizor as a Volt-Turning core.

Now for some minor changes:

Espeon should have Hidden Power Fire instead of HP Ground. HP Fire lets you hit Scizor and other Steel types- as well as Bug types that resist fighting. HP Ground only hits Tyranitar, but you don't have 2 fighting types for nothing.

I'd suggest you give Gyarados Intimidate instead of Moxie. This will give you some extra 'bulk' as you set up. Moxie allows you to sweep with a snowballing effect, but I think having an extra layer of 'bulk' and a backup plan to hinder physical sweepers is better. Besides, after 3 or 4 boosts everything is going to be OHKO'd anyway.

Finally, I'd give Lucario a Jolly nature. That will allow you to outspeed max speed Mamoswine and OHKO with CC. Extra speed is extremely necessary when you have no way to boost it.

Cool team, hope I helped!

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Timid nature, 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Volt Switch / Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Trick

HP Ground --> HP Fire

Moxie --> Intimidate

Adamant on Lucario --> Jolly

Nice, that was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I felt, just as you mentioned, that scrafty was somewhat of a filler and that I could benefit from a replacement. I have seen rotor-w in many of the hyper offensive teams I've studied, and so I trust that it is a valuable asset. As far as intimidate goes, I suspect the effect is quite similar to that of moxie's but opposite as far as stats are concerned. Intimidate will activate prior to my first attack which, as I see now, would be much more beneficial seeing as gyarados is unlikely to sweep an entire team anyway. Thanks again for your advice, I will be implementing it tonight and I'll reply later with the results.

Also, I'd like to add that I recently got walled really hard by gliscor. Ice seemed to be my only option to deal with him but scrafty's ice punch couldn't do it. What do you think of starmie instead of rotom-w? She'll give me rapid spin support along with boltbeam which will provide excellent coverage to both flying types and dragons.

Tornadus can come in against Espeon's HP Ground or Reflect, Scizor-choice locked into an ineffective move, or on Virizion as it boosts up, and launch off repeated Hurricanes for which you have no safe switch-in to. What this forces you to do is to sacrifice your precious sweepers to it, so you can safely bring in Scizor to revenge kill. Volcarona with Hidden Power Rock, Shell Smash Cloyster, Swords Dance Lucario, Bulk-Up Conkeldurr w/ Payback / Stone Edge, and SubToxic Gliscor all get opportunities to set-up on Scizor choice-locked into an ineffective move, set-up a boost, and then sweep your team (bar Gliscor, who can be irritating with Toxic + Protect from behind the substitute).

Try a Swords Dance set on Scizor, as you greatly minimize the amount of threats being able to set-up on you. Being able to have the freedom to switch moves will make the opponent think twice before letting anyone of the aforementioned sweepers set-up on you, not to mention you also pose a threat with your own boosting move (even Offensive variants of Volcarona will be cautious, as +2 Swords Dance does 48.9% - 57.6% with Bullet Punch, Bulky variants lack HP Rock so Gyarados can take them on anyway). You still aid in the overall goal of weakening the foe's physical walls thanks to Swords Dance. The EVs are the same as you have now, but with Swords Dance over Pursuit, and Bug Bite over U-turn, as well as Brick Break over Superpower (as lowering stats may let something set-up on you). For the item choice, you can stick to Life Orb for added power, but Occa Berry and Iron Plate are both viable options, the former allowing you to lure Lati@s into using HP Fire, surviving the hit, and KOing with Bug Bite, removing the two common checks to Virizion. Iron Plate can be used to buff up Bullet Punch without the recoil, however, both can be used as tools to put the foe into a false sense of security by faking a Choice Band set with the attacking moves and no recoil, and at the right time, set-up a boost to wreck.

You're still prone to naturally fast special attackers not needing set-up like Starmie and most importantly, Tornadus-T. I suggest a Substitute + Baton Pass Jolteon over Scrafty. Scrafty seems like the most replaceable member, as it doesn't really check any threats, like the other members do and posing a physical threat at the same time. Jolteon not only helps with Tornadus-T and Starmie, but also works as a great support tool, setting-up a substitute against Pokemon it can threaten, and passing Substitutes to your prized sweepers. E.g. Jolteon lures out threats such as Tyranitar, Scizor and Blissey, which will allow Scizor to grab a free boost, while forming the famous GyaraJolt combo, passing a sub to Gyarados on incoming ground type attacks from Landorus, or Close Combat from Terrakion. In return, incoming Volt Switches from revenge killers like Rotom-W and Thundurus will be directed to Jolteon, to set-up a sub, and unleash another one of your sweepers. The dual screens are also of great assistance, buffing up the Substitutes, and making them tougher to break. A great supporter for your sweepers, and a makeshift revenge killer for +1 Dragonite and Gyarados, try it out.

@above, you're saying Gliscor gives you troubles? with Scizor not letting it set-up free substitutes anymore, and Jolteon there to revenge it with HP Ice, it becomes more manageable.

Jolteon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Baton Pass
---

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Nice team you got here ! First off you dont need three fighting types also you only have 1 speciall attacker, making stall teams pretty hard for you to push through, so my suggestion would be to change Virizion for Choice Scarf Latios, this will give you a lot needed speed also revenging other dragons. It can revenge Scarf Salamance that can wreck havoc on your team as it would outspeed everyting as you dont carry a scarfer for the moment. Another thing you should do is replacing Espeon with Suicide Azelf that can provide your team with Stealth Rock and Taunt other leads like Deoxys-D, give Gyarados Intimidate, so it can force out other hard hitters, also change Stone Edge for Substitute, so you can set up a free DD when your behind a sub after you have forced someone out. The last thing I will pronounce is changing Scrafty for Life Orb Mamoswine as it can revenge fast scarfers like Latios and annoying Tornadus, and still take care off Ferrothorn and Chansey with Superpower. With Mamoswine you also gain a very needed immunity to electric attacks from Rotom and Thundurus-T, that would otherwise been very hard to counter.

Sets:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-Turn
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Azelf will help your team a lot with Stealth Rock and U-Turn giving your team entry hazards and momentum, Fire Blast is there to hit oppositing steels like Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor etc. Taunt is obvious.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Mamoswine will help you againts dragons and all the Therians, EQ is also a great STAB move OHKO'ing Tentacruel and Toxicroak also a great move against pokemon that take the hits neutral. Superpower over Stone Edge as you already hit flying types hard with Ice Shard, and Superpower will be great to hit walls like Ferrothorn, and Chansey/Blissey.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick / Psyshock / Dragon Pulse

Scarf Latios will help you revenging huge threaths like Genesect and Salamence, Draco Meteor OHKO's every dragon in the tier, but you need SR on thee opponents field to OHKO Dragonite. Surf for coverage hitting Terrakion, Heatrand and other Fire/Ground/Rock types super effective, Hidden Power [Fire] to hit Ferrothorn, Forretress (once again) and Genesect. Psyshock can be usefull against Tentacruel or annoying Fighting types like Conkeldurr. Trick will cripple walls like Chansey and, Blissey. Dragon Pulse is a safer dragon STAB you can use but I find DRaco Meteor enough even to its 90 base accuracy that isnt that bad anyway.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,

Cool team ButchCoolidge, Hyper Offense is a very underrated play style in the current metagame. As you said yourself, Gliscor annoys your team to no end, as it can switch in on Scizor and your other teammates when their unboosted, and set up subs and spread Toxic all around your team. Also, if you change your Lucario's nature, you will struggle against Skarmory, as you will lose a lot of grunt with Adamant, and Skarmory then becomes a safe way to beat Lucario.

First off, definite use Hidden Power [ICE] > Stone Edge on Virizion. This stops your Gliscor problem as you now have something that can OHKO it without the need for boost's, which makes dealing with it a lot easier. Change your nature from Jolly to Naive to reflect this change. Next, all of your set up sweepers lose to Choice Scarf Terrakion, as he can comfortably revenge kill all of your sweepers, even after they have picked up a boost. Your only answer in Scizor, is something Terrakion will never stay in against, and is easily avoided. Thats why do have a sweeper that has its way with Terrakion, use Bullet Punch > Crunch. Your team has ways around Jellicent and Reuniclus anyway, and Bullet Punch lets you beat all variants of Terrakion at +2 and also lets you hit Gengar, which otherwise beats your current set.

Looking at your team, having all 3 of those fighting types is not that good. Scrafty doesn't really add much to your team, as it is relatively weak even when it has picked up a few boosts and really doesn't fit much onto your team as it needs multiple forms of hazards support to truly shine and get a sweep off. Your team could alternativley, really use a powerful dragon and something that can break the common stall components that trouble your team apart. I would definitly test Taunt + Dragon Dance Haxorus > Scrafty. This Haxorus set is deceptivley bulky, and can taunt PHazers and status inducers that like to switch in and ruin your teams time, most notably Gliscor and Skarmory for you. As they switch out to something that can hit you hard, you pick up another boost and once the steels are gone, not much can stand up to boosted Outrage's coming from Haxorus. This set can outspeed every standard set in OU at +2 with the given Speed EV's and it has invests in HP to create something that is very hard to stop with its Taunt to shut down non damaging moves, and its bulk to aid in set up in front of powerful attacks.

Seconding Afterburn's Scizor suggestion to make this team truly HO, and it stops the opponent from getting the set up opportunities that kill your team right now.

GL with the team
Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
Trait: Mold Breaker
EV's: 126HP/ 252Atk/ 132Spe
Dragon Dance/ Taunt/ Outrage/ Earthquake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)