First OU Team. Dual Dragon rampage.

Well, I'm newer to the competitive scene, but I've been lurking around, reading up on teams, and about the metagame. So, I finally decided to make an account and join. I created this team a few days ago, and it started off not too much differently than it is now. I had to tweak a few things here and there, but it seems to be doing alright.

Originally Hydreigon was in place of Latios, but again, it was suggested by Deuce to replace him with a Latios. After I did a few tests, it proved to not only do the same thing, but it hit even faster than Hydreigon could have.​

Held Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
Moveset:

1. -Hidden Power(Fire) -Dragon Pulse -Psyshock -Surf

The set hasn't changed much. I got rid of the power of Focus Blast on Hydreigon for the STAB of Psyschock on Latios. Hidden Power Fire more or less helps make up for what I lost, although it lacks the power to hit Dark and Normal types well. Surf and Dragon Pulse hit faster and slightly harder than they did with Hydreigon. EV spread is: 4 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed. Timid nature for the speed boost.

The second Pokemon on the team. Originally it was a Metagross, but that just did not seem to be getting the offensive terror I was trying to get. I looked through a few Pokemon.. And Salamence just seemed to fit that role perfectly.
Held Item: Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Moveset:
  1. -Draco Meteor -Outrage -Fire Blast -Brick Break
[/LIST]
I went with the MixMence set. It gives more of a suprise than some of the others, and allows flex room. Draco Meteor and Outrage are powerful STAB moves, but they have their downfalls. Draco Meteor is for those Physical Walls that think I'm going for that approach. Outrage does the same, but with Special Walls. Fire Blast decimates Steels and Ice types. Brick Break puts a good dent in walls like Blissey and Tyranitar, Sweeper variations included on the latter. The EV spread is: 64 Atk/192 Sp.Atk/252 Speed with a Naive nature.

Espeon, probably more of a counter lead than anything.. And a great status deflector thanks to Magic Bounce. This was suggested by Deuce, and after a few tests, it looked way better than Aerodactyl.
Held Item:Light Clay
Ability:Magic Bounce
Moveset:
  • -Light Screen -Reflect -Psychic -Hidden Power(Fire)
After running a few tests Espeon did astounding. He proved his place on the team, and created WAY better benefits and synergy than Aerodactyl ever did. Magic Bounce is a huge help. I can see why he was suggested. EV spread is:​

Scizor. One of the best revenge killers out there. With STAB Bullet Punch and Technician, he was a clear choice to my lack of high speed on the team.​
Held Item: Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Moveset:
  • -U-Turn -Bullet Punch -Super Power - Pursuit
The moveset is nothing special, just like Aerodactyl's. I choose this to make up for the lack of speed I seem to have. U-Turn allows me to scout, and it hits Dark and Psychics well. Bullet Punch is for those revenge kills. Super Power clears out anything that tries to wall, and Pursuit is for those Psychic Types that want to get out, and some times even Ghosts. EV spread is: 252 Atk/ 4 Sp.Def/ 252 Speed. Jolly nature.

Originally this was a Blissey, but under suggestion of Deuce, I replaced her with a Magnezone, and quite to my benefit. He helps hit the Steels that try to resist my STAB moves, and then traps them with Magnet Pull.
Held Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Moveset:
  1. -Hidden Power(Ice) -Volt Switch -Thunderbolt -Flash Cannon
I chose a Choice Scarf to make up for Magnezone's lack of speed. It seems to do better than Choice Specs in the tests. I get in, hit pretty fast considering the horrid speed he has, and hard, thanks to the already good Sp.Atk hes got going on. EV Spread: 4 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed. Going with a Timid nature for more speed than strength.

Mamoswine. Immune to both Hail and Sandstorm. Great STAB combination as well. Great for covering what the rest of the team can't, and has the potential of revenge killing.
Held Item: Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
Moveset:
  1. -Stealth Rock -Ice Shard -Earthquake -Stone Edge
Well, another suggestion by Deuce. I haven't finished the testing with Starmie, so this slot is still pending, but for now its filled by Mamoswine. He out does Donphan as far as damage goes, and I'm willing to sacrifice the longevity for some power. Revenge killing with Ice Shard is great too. EV spread is: 4 Atk/ 252 Def/252 Speed. Using an Adamant nature for an extra bit of power.​

And that is that. Please, rate, comment, and help in anyways you can. Its appreciated as this team is still going through testing and tweaking. Thank you.

Edit #1: Replaced Hydreigon with Latios. Aerodactyl with Espeon, Blissey for Magenzone, and Mamoswine took place of Cofagirus.

I looked at the first 4 of your team and started thinking this could be some awesome hyper offense, and then blissey and cofa appeared and I got a wtf face. If you have 2 completely stall based pokes like blissey and cofa, it makes very little sense to have a suicide lead like aero because normally you use aero to get rocks fast and push through with strong offensive pokes because that puts pressure on the opponent and makes it difficult for them to get a spin off or get their own rocks up later. Try out giving the whole team a more hyper offensive flavor.

Alright.. Well. The first four do their jobs well. Very well, and I'd hate to replace them. Any suggestions?

Well, Aerodactyl is great for rocks and all, but outside of that it's pretty much useless. Now, I don't know exactly what kind of playstyle you have, but as BlackBird said, your first four Pokemon are great for going on a Hyper Offensive approach... and your last two are oddballs. They can wall well, but they don't really flow that well with the rest of your team. I remember my very first team was quite like yours, but it ended up being pretty average. I would like to make a few suggestions for your team.

First, Hydreigon gets great coverage and has good Special Attack. However, his Speed leaves something to be desired, and he'll get OHKO'd by basically every other Dragon, Terrakion, Choice Scarf users with super effective moves, etc., especially considering you're running a Modest nature and sacrificing speed EVs. In short, he is really really easy to revenge kill and it is also fairly easy to avoid a KO by him. As such, I would recommend an Expert Belt Latios over him. It's basically the same Pokemon, except it's faster, can beat BlissChan 1v1 with Psyshock, hits slightly harder, and has a useful resistance to Fighting with a neutrality to Rock. Most people will be expecting Choice, too, so it can be easier to feign a Choice item with it than on Hydreigon.

Secondly, I would suggest you replace Aerodactyl with Dual Screens Espeon. Espeon has Magic Bounce, which can reflect hazards, Taunt, and status back at the person who used it. Screens will make your relatively frail offensive team a lot bulkier, giving it more time to break through troublesome walls or letting it take a hit that it wouldn't otherwise survive and retaliate with a KO. You lose rocks by switching to Espeon. With Magic Bounce you can not use Rocks on your team at all... but I would really recommend using them. I'll cover some candidates later.

Blissey and Cofagrigus are great for walling... but having two dedicated walls seems really out of place on your team, especially considering you have two Dragons. Because replacing the two of these Pokemon will give you a lot of different options, I won't go extremely in-depth here, but I will give you some suggestions. Don't be afraid to test these in the place of any of your other Pokemon that I didn't suggest changing if you think more than one of these would benefit your team. If you decide to stick to those two, then I would suggest changing Blissey to Chansey, using the same moveset but carrying an Eviolite. Chansey can take Special and Physical hits better than Blissey when it carries an Eviolite, and because you aren't backing Flamethrower or Ice Beam on Blissey, there's really no reason to be using it. However, I would suggest you use neither.

-Magnezone
It can trap steels that resist your STAB Dragon moves and eliminate them. If you're having some problems with Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and the like, consider using it. It's almost a rule that if you have two or more Dragons on your team, you have this thing.

-Mamoswine
Mamoswine can hit Steels with EQ (or Icicle Crash if you want to avoid Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs), revenge kill boosting/Choice Scarfed Dragons and the Therian Formes with Ice Shard, and it has access to Stealth Rock if you want to throw it on there.

-Donphan (ignore if you use Mamoswine)
If you still want to keep a little bit of a defense on your team, Donphan could be used over Mamoswine. It gets Ice Shard, Stealth Rock, and Rapid Spin, as well as EQ for steels. It doesn't hit as hard as Mamoswine, which means it won't be getting some 1HKOs that Mamo does (mainly against things that are only x2 effective), but it is capable of staying in the game a bit longer, and spinning away pesky hazards, too. It can also function as a suicide lead like Aerodactyl if something scares you away from sending out Espeon first.

-Starmie (ignore if you use Donphan)
Starmie is a fast, offensive spinner. Your team has no SR resists and a weakness, which means that if Espeon can't reflect a hazards back at your opponent (or you decide not to use it) then you can spin them away, then start to do some actual damage. It also has access to Recover, meaning it can stick around long enough to keep hazards off the field for an entire match.

And that's about it. As a final note, I think a Choice Band may suit your team better than a Choice Scarf on Scizor, especially if you get Latios and/or Mamo and/or Magnezone. I suggested a lot of things, and you don't need to follow all my suggestions, but hopefully I was able to help in one way or another. Good luck with your team, and have a good time playing with it :D

Wow, thanks a lot. Those all are really good suggestions, and I may run them all just to see how they work out. I'll be using Magnezone, Latios, and Espeon in place of Blissey, Hydreigon, and Aerodactyl. The latter three of your suggestions I'll switch around every few battles, just to see how it really goes.

Thank you again. This is all a big help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)