SV OU First OU team, honestly first somewhat serious team at all, very new at this.

So, for a bit of background on me, I am a long time Pokémon fan but never really tried out competitive. I have played around with showdown a bit with random battles and some anything goes teams, just with my friends, but when it comes to actually putting together a team I am very new to, and not very good at, so expect a decent amount of ignorance with some things that might seem a bit obvious. I have lurked a bit and read the rules, but if I overlooked anything with this, apologies in advance, and thank you to anybody who checks my team out and/or helps me out!

For this team, I mostly went with the suggested builds on each Pokémon from smogon strat pokedex. I don't go into much detail with the EVs because they are all pretty much exactly what was recommended, will mostly be going into detail with the abilities and items and how they help me or hold me back.

:wo::woo::woop::woo::wo::woo::woop::woo::wo:

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Spikes

I chose Deoxys Speed because it seems to be pretty decent in the current meta, no other reason. Focus sash chosen originally as per smogon suggestion, kept due to it keeping Deoxys alive long enough to at least lay down traps, and hopefully get some damage in with knock off. One issue I have had with this, is Deoxys dies pretty quick. This is most likely due to misuse on my part, but maybe worth mentioning. I usually open with Stealth rock and/or spikes, get some damage in and then die quite quickly.

:woop::woo::wo:

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Blissey is great. I also chose her because she seems to be doing well right now. It is probably my favorite Pokémon on this team, feels incredibly strong. My favorite ability they have is Soft Boiled, and Seismic Toss is also great. I think out of the Pokémon on this team, Blissey has the most survivability, while also doing good damage, I think they are a pretty good tank (or would it be a wall? I am still a bit confused on some of the terms.) After buffing up a good bit with Calm Mind, flamethrower can be devastating to grass Pokémon.

:wo::woo::woop:

Darkrai @ Expert Belt
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Darkrai is a Pokémon I have always liked. Main reason I chose it is because it seems to be well rounded when it comes to giving out, uh, status effects? Burn, Frozen, etc. I am not too sure about expert belt as the attacks don't seem to be effective enough to warrant this, so I might want to switch it out at some point but so far am unsure about what I would switch it for. But although the attacks aren't effective in the sense that they would benefit from the expert belt (which really could be due to me using this in inappropriate times) the effects that the attacks put on the enemy Pokémon are good.

Dragonite (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Roost

Dragonite was picked because I love his design and also like dragon and also flying Pokémon, so he seemed fun. Like always, the moves were mostly picked from suggestion of the strategy pokedex. Dragon Dance is a much appreciated move, due to it's buff. But my favorite move he has here, would be Extreme speed. Any move that can go first feels like it can make a huge difference, sometimes a completely game changing one. Roost lets her stay alive longer, so of course that is a plus. Not to sure about the boots, but it was recommended by the smogon page so I will probably keep them at least for now.

:wo::woo::woop:

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power
- Nuzzle

To be honest, I just picked her because her design is really pretty, especially shiny. But so far she has proven to be a good member of the team, with Draining kiss and Nuzzle keeping her around longer and holding the enemy back a bit. Stored power seems to be good, but is suffering a bit from my lack of understanding of it. Calm mind is a good move, I do already have it with Blissey but really, I quite like the move so I don't mind having it on her too. Leftovers is nice, adding onto what I said before with draining kiss and nuzzle, helps her stay here longer.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Knock Off
- Psychic Noise
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt

ooh this one is my favorite on my team. I love Hoopa! The hoopa movie is one of my favorites, and I really loved playing the unbound fan game. I like all of hoopas forms, but the unbound version seemed like it would be the most effective here. After Terastializing (I can never spell that jawn) as Psychic, Psychic noise seems to be a good move. It has taken out some enemy pokemon really fast. Drain punch of course is always a nice move for survivability. Just like most of the rest, I chose these moves based on the smogon dex, and they have been working out pretty well so far.

:wo::woo::woop::woo::wo::woo::woop::woo::woo:

So, that is my current team, I am well aware there is most likely a ton of flaws that I don't even know are there, hopefully with my next teams I can improve. Thank you for taking the time to look through this, and any replies you might give.

FFK

Foufakirby-san ~~ FFK
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey, since this is your first team, I'd say it's a great initial attempt. Now, let's adapt it to simpler building styles:

It appears that you want to use Deoxys-speed :deoxys-speed: as a suicide lead. While it's still viable in the current meta, since you already have Hatterene :Hatterene: as an anti-hazard with Taunt, Deo-S's :deoxys-speed: Taunt becomes somewhat redundant. This redundancy, coupled with its speed, is the primary reason Deo-S :deoxys-speed: is typically played as a suicide lead. Therefore, I'd recommend changing it to Glimmora Power Herb :Glimmora:, keeping Stealth Rock, and adding double stab Rock/Poison moves. This setup can bait certain threats to Hatterene :hatterene: and assist in cleaning up, especially considering the other changes I’ll suggest. Tera Ghost could be beneficial to prevent opponents from spinning away hazards if Toxic Spikes are set up and Poison-type Pokémon are eliminated. It also gives you a Fairy resist.

Glimmora @ Power Herb
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

——————————————————————————

- :blissey: It seems like you're aiming to an HO team (Hyper Offensive), and Blissey :blissey: doesn't quite fit that strategy. Being a defensive Pokémon, it's too passive for an HO setup, which is why it's primarily utilized on stall teams. Therefore, I'd recommend replacing it with a bulky sweeper like Zamazenta :Zamazenta:. Zamazenta is a standout choice for HO teams, capable of closing out many games thanks to its access to moves like Iron Defense and Body Press. It also provides valuable defense against Physical Attackers such as Great Tusk :great-tusk:, Kingambit :Kingambit:, and Dragonite :dragonite:. Given that you already have a lead counter (Darkrai :darkrai:) and a Poison-type Pokémon (Glimmora :Glimmora:), I believe Tera Steel could work well on Zamazenta :Zamazenta:, granting important Fairy and Steel resistances. Its Roar variant can also be useful for preventing setups from Pokémon like Skarmory :skarmory: and Corviknight :corviknight:, that would prevent potential sweeps otherwise.

Zamazenta @ Leftovers
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Def / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Crunch
- Roar

- :darkrai: Great set for Darkrai here; it's the ideal choice to send out against opponent leads like Glimmora :Glimmora: and others. My only suggestion would be to consider Tera Poison over Tera Dark. This adjustment grants you STAB on Sludge Bomb, allowing you to hit Pokémon like Primarina :primarina: effectively, while also providing valuable resistances against Fairy and Fighting-type moves.

- :dragonite: Classic set for Dragonite as well. However, Roost tends to be ineffective in HO teams since it grants your opponent a free turn and is typically only useful in prolonged battles. Therefore, I'd recommend swapping it out for Ice Spinner. This adjustment allows you to bypass Landorus-T :landorus-therian: , which serves as a check to our Zamazenta :zamazenta:.

- :hatterene: Hatterene's set is solid, but it doesn't quite align with our team's needs. To better suit our strategy, I recommend Psyshock over Stored Power to provide additional options against stall teams, which is problematic for us. Additionally, swapping Nuzzle for Mystical Power enhances our coverage against steel types, particularly Gholdengo :gholdengo:. Considering team balance, Tera Water could replace Tera Psychic to grant us a water resistance when necessary, such as against Waterpon :ogerpon-wellspring:. Lastly, adding 8 Speed EVs ensures that we outspeed opponents like Garganacl :Garganacl: or Toxapex :Toxapex: who also invest in 8 speed EVs.

- :hoopa-unbound: Hoopa-Unbound is an interesting choice, but it doesn't quite suit a HO team. We have better options available, such as Ceruledge :ceruledge:, if you're open to trying something different. Ceruledge :Ceruledge: maintains valuable Fairy resistances that benefit the team while also serving as a potent sweeper, thanks to its Weak Armor ability. Furthermore, it complements the rest of our team nicely; Hatterene :hatterene: prevents entry hazards (except from Samurott-H) so it doesn’t break Focus Sash in most cases; Dragonite :dragonite: lures Landorus-T :landorus-therian:, and Zamazenta :Zamazenta: counters Kingambit :Kingambit:. Altogether, Ceruledge :Ceruledge: provides a powerful cleaning option for our team.

Ceruledge @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bitter Blade
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Sneak

Let me know your thoughts about these changes !

Last edited:
Hey, since this is your first team, I'd say it's a great initial attempt. Now, let's adapt it to simpler building styles:

It appears that you want to use Deoxys-speed :deoxys-speed: as a suicide lead. While it's still viable in the current meta, since you already have Hatterene :Hatterene: as an anti-hazard with Taunt, Deo-S's :deoxys-speed: Taunt becomes somewhat redundant. This redundancy, coupled with its speed, is the primary reason Deo-S :deoxys-speed: is typically played as a suicide lead. Therefore, I'd recommend changing it to Glimmora Power Herb :Glimmora:, keeping Stealth Rock, and adding double stab Rock/Poison moves. This setup can bait certain threats to Hatterene :hatterene: and assist in cleaning up, especially considering the other changes I’ll suggest. Tera Ghost could be beneficial to prevent opponents from spinning away hazards if Toxic Spikes are set up and Poison-type Pokémon are eliminated. It also gives you a Fairy resist.

Glimmora @ Power Herb
Ability: Toxic Debris
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

- :blissey: It seems like you're aiming to an HO team (Hyper Offensive), and Blissey :blissey: doesn't quite fit that strategy. Being a defensive Pokémon, it's too passive for an HO setup, which is why it's primarily utilized on stall teams. Therefore, I'd recommend replacing it with a bulky sweeper like Zamazenta :Zamazenta:. Zamazenta is a standout choice for HO teams, capable of closing out many games thanks to its access to moves like Iron Defense and Body Press. It also provides valuable defense against Physical Attackers such as Great Tusk :great-tusk:, Kingambit :Kingambit:, and Dragonite :dragonite:. Given that you already have a lead counter (Darkrai :darkrai:) and a Poison-type Pokémon (Glimmora :Glimmora:), I believe Tera Steel could work well on Zamazenta :Zamazenta:, granting important Fairy and Steel resistances. Its Roar variant can also be useful for preventing setups from Pokémon like Skarmory :skarmory: and Corviknight :corviknight:, that would prevent potential sweeps otherwise.

Zamazenta @ Leftovers
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Def / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Crunch
- Roar

- :darkrai: Great set for Darkrai here; it's the ideal choice to send out against opponent leads like Glimmora :Glimmora: and others. My only suggestion would be to consider Tera Poison over Tera Dark. This adjustment grants you STAB on Sludge Bomb, allowing you to hit Pokémon like Primarina :primarina: effectively, while also providing valuable resistances against Fairy and Fighting-type moves.

- :dragonite: Classic set for Dragonite as well. However, Roost tends to be ineffective in HO teams since it grants your opponent a free turn and is typically only useful in prolonged battles. Therefore, I'd recommend swapping it out for Ice Spinner. This adjustment allows you to bypass Landorus-T :Zamazenta:, which serves as a check to our Zamazenta :zamazenta:.

- :hatterene: Hatterene's set is solid, but it doesn't quite align with our team's needs. To better suit our strategy, I recommend Psyshock over Stored Power to provide additional options against stall teams, which is problematic for us. Additionally, swapping Nuzzle for Mystical Power enhances our coverage against steel types, particularly Gholdengo :gholdengo:. Considering team balance, Tera Water could replace Tera Psychic to grant us a water resistance when necessary, such as against Waterpon :ogerpon-wellspring:. Lastly, adding 8 Speed EVs ensures that we outspeed opponents like Garganacl :Garganacl: or Toxapex :Toxapex: who also invest in 8 speed EVs.

- :hoopa-unbound: Hoopa-Unbound is an interesting choice, but it doesn't quite suit a HO team. We have better options available, such as Ceruledge :ceruledge:, if you're open to trying something different. Ceruledge :Ceruledge: maintains valuable Fairy resistances that benefit the team while also serving as a potent sweeper, thanks to its Weak Armor ability. Furthermore, it complements the rest of our team nicely; Hatterene :hatterene: prevents entry hazards (except from Samurott-H) so it doesn’t break Focus Sash in most cases; Dragonite :dragonite: lures Landorus-T :landorus-therian:, and Zamazenta :Zamazenta: counters Kingambit :Kingambit:. Altogether, Ceruledge :Ceruledge: provides a powerful cleaning option for our team.

Ceruledge @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bitter Blade
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Sneak

Let me know your thoughts about these changes !
Yay, thanks for your suggestions! I added them into my team and they seem to be working really well, only thing that I wasn't able to add was Mystical Power for Hatterene, it kept saying it was illegal but besides that I got all of your suggestions into my team.

I'm really liking Zamazenta so far, a couple times it has countered things that I thought were going to finish me, also glimmora has proven to be a lot better than deoxys for this team, and overall all of the changes have only improved my team. Thank you!

Reactions: FFK
By your choices, you seem to favor a balanced style as opposed to Hyper offensive. Too bad your first competitive meta in gen 9. Last gen was much better. I do not play as much because of this but since you said blissey is your favorite on the team let's build around her.

Deoxys is a great suicide lead but I think Knock Off is absolutely useless here as psychic noise would get you much more revenge killing options. Taunt is fine as against Stall and balanced offensive mirrors you will get more value especially against things like corviknight and body press skarmory players which are common enough in gen 9 to matter. It also will beat sticky web users and force them to switch.

Blissey is also fine here but must be paired with a defensive back bone. A good option could be deoxys as a sweeper and pairing blissey with something like Skarmory or Toxapex.

I do not like hoopa and if so the only real way to use it in my opinion is with a choice scarf as assault vest doesn't help you come in and out much without a reliable rapid spinner or defogger. Sure it can tank special hits and hit back with great coverages but if I am gonna go assault vest I may as well just go Nast plot or Calm Mind. This mon only functions well on psychic terrain teams powered by indeede.

Dragonite is a very good sweeper and pair with hat, but suffers from low speed and demands that you play boots. If it has to come in to wall something and get chipped it looses to any Dragon in the game 1v1. Keep that in mind. It's Tera extreme speed is nice but if you are going to play this mon you need to include a hard check to Dragapult. Hat checks it but doesn't exactly counter the specs set especially in gen 9 since we have Tera. It could Terra and blow through the majority of this team and pretty much everything if darkari is down.

If you are going to go Hyper offensive then you need to play a rapid spinner or reliable defogger and focus away from hazards. Glimmora, Tusk, and Corviknight are selective options that can do this. On Hyper offensive teams pivot is a strong options. Pokemon that use moves like u turn, Volt Switch, and flip turn that are fast are excellent. Mons that do this well are Meoscarada, Cinderace, and Dragapult.

I hope some of these little tips help you within the future. Since you said you are new every little thing counts I guess.

FFK

Foufakirby-san ~~ FFK
is a Tiering Contributor
Yay, thanks for your suggestions! I added them into my team and they seem to be working really well, only thing that I wasn't able to add was Mystical Power for Hatterene, it kept saying it was illegal but besides that I got all of your suggestions into my team.

I'm really liking Zamazenta so far, a couple times it has countered things that I thought were going to finish me, also glimmora has proven to be a lot better than deoxys for this team, and overall all of the changes have only improved my team. Thank you!
Oh I meant Mystical Fire lol sorry, also for the Zamazenta set, consider Tera Fire over Tera Steel if you have some issues against Dragapult, try these 2 variants

Useful Tips : when you have a Zamazenta against a Skarmory/Corviknight, first setup the most with Iron Defense and Roar it only when you are at +6

I managed to peak 1800 (for now) with the version I suggested you

Last edited:
By your choices, you seem to favor a balanced style as opposed to Hyper offensive. Too bad your first competitive meta in gen 9. Last gen was much better. I do not play as much because of this but since you said blissey is your favorite on the team let's build around her.

Deoxys is a great suicide lead but I think Knock Off is absolutely useless here as psychic noise would get you much more revenge killing options. Taunt is fine as against Stall and balanced offensive mirrors you will get more value especially against things like corviknight and body press skarmory players which are common enough in gen 9 to matter. It also will beat sticky web users and force them to switch.

Blissey is also fine here but must be paired with a defensive back bone. A good option could be deoxys as a sweeper and pairing blissey with something like Skarmory or Toxapex.

I do not like hoopa and if so the only real way to use it in my opinion is with a choice scarf as assault vest doesn't help you come in and out much without a reliable rapid spinner or defogger. Sure it can tank special hits and hit back with great coverages but if I am gonna go assault vest I may as well just go Nast plot or Calm Mind. This mon only functions well on psychic terrain teams powered by indeede.

Dragonite is a very good sweeper and pair with hat, but suffers from low speed and demands that you play boots. If it has to come in to wall something and get chipped it looses to any Dragon in the game 1v1. Keep that in mind. It's Tera extreme speed is nice but if you are going to play this mon you need to include a hard check to Dragapult. Hat checks it but doesn't exactly counter the specs set especially in gen 9 since we have Tera. It could Terra and blow through the majority of this team and pretty much everything if darkari is down.

If you are going to go Hyper offensive then you need to play a rapid spinner or reliable defogger and focus away from hazards. Glimmora, Tusk, and Corviknight are selective options that can do this. On Hyper offensive teams pivot is a strong options. Pokemon that use moves like u turn, Volt Switch, and flip turn that are fast are excellent. Mons that do this well are Meoscarada, Cinderace, and Dragapult.

I hope some of these little tips help you within the future. Since you said you are new every little thing counts I guess.
thank you :) and yeah every little thing counts rn as im so new to it

Oh I meant Mystical Fire lol sorry, also for the Zamazenta set, consider Tera Fire over Tera Steel if you have some issues against Dragapult, try these 2 variants

Useful Tips : when you have a Zamazenta against a Skarmory/Corviknight, first setup the most with Iron Defense and Roar it only when you are at +6

I managed to peak 1800 (for now) with the version I suggested you
ohh ok, ill give it Mystical fire!
and thanks for the tips

Don't have as much to contribute here but I do want to touch on Deoxys-S (or on my team, "WrldsFastestFraud"). Deo exists largely to set up and die. Sash is basically mandatory as you found out because the thing Deo is moving fastest towards is the grave. Good news is its absurd speed lets it get a taunt in and stop other pokemon from setting up. Taunt is the main reason to run it - with Hatterene on your team as well, as mentioned by other users, it does become a bit redundant. so that's something to take into account. Personally though I still really love Deoxys-S as while it is a good hazard setter, it can also be used to counter Glimmora and Gliscor, two other very common hazard setting leads. Psycho Boost OHKO's Glimmora (252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Glimmora: 438-516 (142.6 - 168%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and also doesn't proc toxic debris. Skill Swap can devastate a Gliscor, who now finds itself poisoned rather than receiving free healing. always incredibly satisfying to pull off. try out various Deoxys movesets as well as other hazard setters and see what works best for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)