First RMT - Criticism Highly Welcome!

So, this is my first RMT and I'm pretty new to strategizing teams, so all the help I can get is welcome.

Venusaur (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/6 SpDef
Modest nature (+SpAtk,-Atk)
- Hidden Power
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Choice Scard Venusaur, my Lead. Choice Scarf Venusaur sits firmly at 380 Speed, allowing it to outpace beneficial base 120 Speed Pokemon, most importantly, Alakazam. Venusaur has enough time to come in on many attacks thanks to its excellent typing, making it a reliable Choice Scarf user on any team.

---

Swellow (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 42 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Swellow is a fearsome sweeper late-game, with excellent Speed and access to strong STAB attacks. Thanks to Toxic Orb, Facade has 140 Base Power STAB attack, while Brave Bird allows you to hit the Ghost-types that Facade cannot.

---

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Careful | Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef
Extremespeed / Flare Blitz / Morning Sun / Toxic

My Defensive Attacker and favorite Pokemon. Arcanine's good all-round stats allow it to be both bulky and yet hit extremely hard at the same time. This fact, combined with its Intimidate ability and access to ExtremeSpeed, allows it to function as a very effective anti-lead.
Flare Blitz is a high powered STAB attack that does big damage to pretty much anything that doesn't resist it. ExtremeSpeed is the real crux of the set, allowing Arcanine to beat Focus Sash users without having to take another attack, and can 2HKO some faster, frailer leads. Against Arcanine, the bulky Water switch in is almost inevitable, and a well-timed Toxic can cripple both Slowbro and Milotic (despite activating Marvel Scale, if it doesn't have Rest, it's not going to enjoy Toxic). Steel-types never switch into Arcanine, and Poison is often paired with Grass, meaning there is usually very little risk involved in using Toxic.

---

Steelix (M) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Spd/252 SpDef
Careful nature (+SpDef,-SpAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Standard Wall Steelix. Its great resistances cause many switches, which it can exploit by laying down Stealth Rock while the opposing Pokemon flees. STAB Earthquake deals respectable damage, and no Steelix should walk out the door without it. The third slot depends on whether you want coverage with Stone Edge, or STAB and accuracy in Gyro Ball. Both hit Flying-types and frail Ghosts; Stone Edge does better against Moltres, while Gyro Ball does better against Mismagius. A Sassy or Relaxed nature with 0 Speed IVs should be used with Gyro Ball in order to increase its Base Power. The fourth slot provides additional support. Roar works well after you've eliminated the opponent's Taunt user, as it scouts the opponent's team and racks up Stealth Rock damage. Toxic can wear down Steelix's usual counters gradually, making it harder for them to stall, but Explosion can leave a lasting dent on them or even OHKO them outright. Unfortunately, Steelix will then no longer be able to supply its valuable resistances to the team.
---

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/10 Spd
Bold nature (+Def,-Atk)
- Haze
- Hidden Power
- Recover
- Surf

Physical Defensive Milotic. Milotic's excellent 95/79/125 defenses combined with its superb Water typing cement it as an exceptional defensive Water-type. Milotic is capable of sponging hits from many top attackers in UU and either Recovering off the damage or hitting back from 100 base Special Attack.

---

Drapion (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Brick Break
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Drapion's access to Pursuit makes an all-out attacking set viable. Drapion has several qualities that distinguish it from other common Pursuiters. First, a neutrality to Fighting-type attacks means that Drapion performs better against Alakazam's Focus Blast and Mismagius's Hidden Power Fighting. Second, its relatively high Speed—greater than that of Rotom—allows Drapion to fire off attacks before it is hit by nasty status effects, especially burn.
---

Welp, there we are! Please post any suggestions or opinions that come to mind!

I am fairly new to this generation, but the first things that comes to my mind is triple ground weakness. Luckily you have a flyer, but then again, it's not a guaranteed counter.

Hi, cool team, however there are a couple of weird decisions and movesets you have decided upon.

Firstly, UU is filled with Spikes leads such as Cloyster, Omastar and Qwilfish. While Arcanine was exceptionally good as a lead in the Froslass metagame, it, unfortunately, is complete Spikes bait for all 3 of this Spikes leads and they will all easily get 3 layers up. This can be changed quite simply however. Scarf Venusaur makes a great lead as with its fast sleep and the ability to OHKO common Spikers, it will almost always get your team off to a good start and pick up early momentum. Because of the fast sleep, rarely will leads be actually able to set-up Stealth Rock increasing the opportunities Swellow and Arcanine can come in. Obviously a Lum Arcanine has limited use midgame, and I think you would benefit more from this set:

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Careful | Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef
Extremespeed / Flare Blitz / Morning Sun / Toxic

You are not using a Calm nature on Milotic, so having extra insurance against Pokemon such as the rare Passho Houndoom and Life Orb Moltres is great. Specially-defensive Arcanine is also incredibly good at taking on Venusaur, and outside of a Life Orb +1 Earthquake or a poison from Sludge Bomb can take anything Venusaur throws at it, after something else has taken the sleep of course. This Arcanine is incredibly specially-bulky and will rarely take upwards of 55% from a 0 SpAtk Milotic Surf, meaning that, provided it switches in, you actually have the ability to win against it via Toxic poison.

While you are using a wonderful set in BaitLix, you are not really abusing the fact that Steelix is able to lure in a bunch of water-types and Explode on them. Drapion also seems like the weakest link as you have Mismagius and other psychic- and ghost-types covered well with the addition of specially-defensive Arcanine. I think something that really benefits from the removal of bulky-waters would be a fine addition over Steelix. Something like Dragon Dance Feraligatr or even Dragon Dance Altaria would be a really neat addition over Drapion, as they really abuse the fact that Milotic [or insert other bulky-water] .

Good luck!

Very good points. Thanks so much for your detailed suggestions =). So you think I should get rid of Steelix and Drapion? Or just replace Drapion? I'll probably end up replacing it with Altaria.

Think twice before you go for Altaria, because that means you'll have three Pokemon weak to Ice-type attacks. Luckily, you'll have Milotic and Arcanine, but be careful, because if they save an Ice-type for late-gaming and those two have fainted, you'd be in trouble.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if u plan on having swellow in for more than 2 turns i would swith to a flame orb , burn does more damage for the first two turns than after that two turns posion is gunna do more

Would you mind specifying what types your Hidden Powers are? They may be Steel for all we know :3

Also, you specified how Drapion is a useful wielder of Pursuit, yet he doesn't know Pursuit.

You also have a Physically defensive Milotic as well as a Steelix. I think that Steelix will be all the physical wall you need, Milotic would be better off as a specially bulky water.

I would recommend some resist would be wonderful, because you have a 3 weaknesses to EQ, and Swellow won't be taking any neutral hits well any time soon. EQ is also commonly paired with Stone Edge, so maybe a Rapid Spin Claydol, since you have 2 weaknesses to Stealth Rock. He will provide a useful immunity to Ground, a resistance to Rock, Rapid Spin support, as well as access to Stealth Rock, meaning he can viable replace Steelix as a wall and Stealth Rocker.

I would give your team a Spiker, because a defensive team like this one would love (LOVE) the extra damage, you could also use a Toxic Spiker, possibly Drapion could be yours, over Aqua Tail possibly. Use an attack, opponent sees Life Orb, they send in a wall, and you can set up Toxic Spikes easily as your foe attempts to phaze or something.

You don't have much in your arsenal to stop a rain team outside of maybe Milotic, who is stomped by Lanturn and Ludicolo, popular Rain Dance sweepers. You may use something like a Taunter to stop Rain Dance from being set up. A taunting alakazam lead may be used instead of your Scarfasaur. He would provide the same Special Attacking need, as well as providing a taunt to prevent opposing Spikes and SR from being set up.

That's all I can think of ATM, but I like the idea of the team. Nice foundation. GL

I'm new to this too, so I'm gonna give the rating part of this thing a try (I have an OU team being rated now, I'll be putting up my UU team soon)
:)
So, I think Kabutops could be a very viable option here, in place of Drapion or, if you'd rather keep him in, Steelix; Kab can fill a lot of the same niches as those two pokemon but with different typing. Something like this:

Spinner Kabutops @Lum Berry/Focus Sash/Leftovers (depending on when you bring him in)
Swift Swim
Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 132 Atk, 124 Spd (you can swap HP and Atk if you want to get more of a punch)
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Aqua Jet (or Aqua Tail/Waterfall for more umph)
-Stone Edge

Gives you:
A) Entry Hazards
B) A solid spinner to get rid of foes' Spikes, etc
C) Priority, which you've got a bit of, but it never hurts
D) A Swiftswimmer, so if your foe sets up rain you can take advantage and not be totally defenseless-ish
E) An ice- and flying-type counter in Stone Edge
F) Wings (har har)

All in all though, I really like this team. It's got a lot of my favorite pokes on it (Venusaur, Arcanine, Milotic, Swellow). :) And I looks pretty solid to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)