First RMT (Gen V)

Hey guys, this is my first RMT, I've lurked for a while, made a few comments on a couple teams, but never actually posted my own team. So without further delay, here it is:

Images by Arkeis.

First off, I wanted an attacking lead, that could come back later in the game to do some damage too. I brought back one of my favorites from Gen IV, Weavile.

Next, I decided to take a look at the current ban list, and saw that Latios and Skymin were both OU now, I've always wanted to try them, but never really played Ubers much, so now was my chance. After some testing, they worked great.

Now I needed something to set up rocks, and Nattorei could do just that along with provide some extra bulk.

At this point, I wasn't sure what to put in, but then I noticed I had a Fire weakness, and a pretty bad one at that, so Rotom-W was in.

Now I had somewhat of Grass weakness, since a lot of Grass types carry Hidden Power Ice, and the only thing that would be able to take a hit on both of those was Nattorei. So for the last, I needed something fast, and could take out whatever it comes in on. Infernape was my man.

The Team

Weavile (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Low Kick

- Ice Punch

- Ice Shard

- Pursuit

The Moves: This moveset, along with the Choice Band, can allow Weavile to do some major damage to whatever it comes in on. Low Kick can be used for all Steel types, or even Tyranitar. Ice Punch is for when I know I'm faster, and Ice Shard won't get the kill. Ice Shard is for things like Scarfed Garchomp, normally it would outspeed Weavile since it doesn't have a Choice Scarf, but Garchomp's 4x weakness to Ice along with Weavile's STAB and Choice Band, Garchomp doesn't stand a chance. Finally, Pursuit allows Weavile to be Ghost trapper, if it comes in on a Ghost, that Ghost is almost automatically dead for the same reason as Ice Shard, it's STAB and the Choice Band makes it do enough damage even if the foe doesn't switch out.

The EVs, Nature, and Item: The EVs and Nature were chosen the way they were because Weavile has a Choice Band, it needs as much Speed as possible to be an effective revenge killer without the Choice Scarf. The item, Choice Band, as I said before, gives Weavile enough power to OHKO with Ice Shard and Pursuit.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick

- Psychic

- Draco Meteor

- Hidden Power [Fire]

The Moves: Trick works so well on Latios since it has Choice Specs, it's great for crippling stallers, bulky waters, and even Doryuuzu, which thanks to the Latios/Rotom-W combo, isn't much of a problem. Even if Latios ends up Tricking its Choice Specs to a Choice Scarf user, it can still do a lot of damage with its monstrous Special Attack. Psychic is great for Roobushin and a great STAB attack. Most likely, it won't be resisted and the Choice Specs allow for Latios to OHKO with Psychic even if it's not Super Effective. Dragon Pulse can take out other Dragons which is needed when Weavile is gone, but I've been thinking about changing this to Draco Meteor. Let me know what you think. Finally, Hidden Power [Fire] is for Magnezone which is a pain at times and Doryuuzu, after I've tricked it the Choice Specs, as long as it's not locked into X-Scissor.

The EVs, Nature, and Item: I chose these EVs and Nature for the same reason as Weavile's, allow Latios to be a revenge killer without the Choice Scarf. The item was chosen so it can limit a pokemon to a Choice which would stop it from pulling off a sweep; the item is Choice Specs over Choice Scarf because if a Choice Scarf is Tricked to something, it could end up hurting me more than helping, so Choice Specs was a much better choice.

Does anyone think I should run Latias here instead of Latios, for that extra bulk?

Shaymin-S @ Leftovers
Abiltiy: Serene Grace
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Air Slash

- Earth Power

- Seed Flare

- Substitute

The Moves: Air Slash along with Serene Grace goes great for Shaymin-S. A 60% flinch rate helps Shaymin to take out foes that it normally would not be able to. Even though it may be a 2HKO/3HKO, the opponent still might not even get an attack off. Seed Flare is Shaymin's other STAB move, thanks to its 120 Base Power, it can OHKO most switch-ins, as long as it doesn't resist it. Earth Power covers pretty much whatever Air Slash and Seed Flare don't, except for other Flying types of course. Substitute can be used for scouting to see if I am faster, or if I know the opponent will switch and I'm not sure what will be coming in. This guarantees Shaymin-S at least one attack, and lets me know if I'm fast enough to get flinch hax.

The EVs, Nature, and Item: Since Shaymin-S is not Choice Scarfed (too many choice users), it needed as much Speed as possible to get its flinch hax. The item is used so that Shaymin-S can set up more than one Substitute while its in, and if I get the flinches I need, it can restore itself back to full health while taking out the foe.

(Arkeis didn't have a drawing for this one)
Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock

- Thunder Wave

- Power Whip

- Spikes

The Moves: Stealth Rock is needed on pretty much all teams, and this team was lacking one. Spikes is more of a move slot filler, but more entry hazards are never bad. Thunder Wave is great for crippling some of the faster sweepers, especially Kingdra in the rain (I know this is not Dream World where Politoed gets drizzle, but Rain Dance teams still exist without Politoed). Normally, Kingdra would destory me with double Speed, but Nattorei resists all of its moves and brings its Speed way down, enough for the entire team to outspeed it. Power Whip is just for an attacking move (just in case I get Taunted), along with a great move to take out bulky Waters.

The EVs, Nature, and Item: The EVs, Nature, and Item all work together to give Nattorei the time it needs to set up some entry hazards, and cripple the foe with Thunder Wave.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Trick

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Thunderbolt

- Hydro Pump

The Moves: Trick is used in the same way Latios is, it cripples a foe that could be a major threat to this team. Hidden Power [Ice] is great for Grass types that love to come in on Rotom, since it's the only Super Effective type. Thunderbolt is for bulky waters like Suicune, in which case I wouldn't Trick away the Choice Specs in order to get a OHKO/2HKO. Hydro Pump provides a Water type mover, powerful enough to do usually around 50% with the Choice Specs when Not Very Effective. It also gives a Doryuuzu counter, in which case Hydro Pump would OHKO with or without the Choice Specs.

The EVs, Nature, and Item: The EVs, Nature, and Item are all for the same reason as Latios. [box]I chose these EVs and Nature for the same reason as Weavile's, allow Rotom-W to be a revenge killer without the Choice Scarf. The item was chosen so it can limit a pokemon to a Choice which would stop it from pulling off a sweep; the item is Choice Specs over Choice Scarf because if a Choice Scarf is Tricked to something, it could end up hurting me more than helping, so Choice Specs was a much better choice.[/box]

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Overheat

- Close Combat

- U-turn

- Grass Knot

The Moves: The moves are pretty standard for Mixed-Attacking Infernape. Close Combat is Infernape's most powerful Fighting move, and Overheat is his most powerful Fire move. So with these two combined, Infernape becomes a great Stall-Breaker along with an offensive threat to the opponent's team. With this much Speed, it's hard for the opponent to bring in anything and not take a huge hit. Grass Knot is for bulky waters, which could be a problem since they could stall me out a lot of the time. And U-Turn is just for scouting if I have no idea what's coming in, or if the opponent switches in a Psychic or Dark type.

The EVs, Nature, and Item: The EVs were chosen to give enough power to become a mixed sweeper, and the Nature gives Infernape astonishing Speed without sacrificing Attack or Special attack. Finally, the Item is for giving Infernape that extra push to get OHKOs since there is not 252 EVs on either of the attacking stats.

Just a quick note
, a lot of people are opposed to having 3 Choice users on one team, but two of them Trick their Choice item away 90% of the time so this is not a problem.

Your Rotom set is delicious, I love it, I've won games with it. For Latios run Timid, Draco Meteor / Surf / Tbolt / Trick, trust me it's better. Lots more neutral coverage and still hits steels pretty hard, also most Nattorei / Skarm / Forry don't want to stay in on Latios cause of trick. HP Fire seems good on paper, but really isn't that effective.

For your lead, I'd run CB Mamo instead if you really like the glass-cannon (or rather, ice cannon + priority) idea. Except for instead of a glass cannon, you get a decently bulky mammoth with immense attack, priority stab Ice Shard, a massive EQ, and a more powerful fighting move (Superpower > Low Kick).

[BOX]Mamoswine @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf (preferrable to Life Orb)
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def or SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly nature
- Stone Edge
- EQ
- Ice Shard
- Superpower[/BOX]

This set will wreck a vast majority of leads. If you want surprise factor, go for Scarf, but if you want to utilize Ice Shard and hit as hard as possible go for the Band. Scarf is probably more effective as a lead, as you can beat ScarfTar leads that go for the tempting Stone Edge KO and OHKO (usually) with Superpower. Ice Shard 2KOs a lot of faster leads, Stone Edge hits Gyarados, Zapdos, and more, and EQ hits everything else. 100 BP with STAB coming off of 130 Atk with a Choice Band will 2KO pretty much anything that doesn't resist it. Wards off any frail switchins. The only downside this has as compared to Weavile is lack of pursuit, but otherwise I think this is by far the superior Mon. Also, everything you think Weavile will "outspeed and kill" will likely be switched out, as Weavile has limited coverage and is easily countered, while on the other hand Mamoswine is likely to hit most switchins very hard.

For Shaymin-S, thank you for not running Leech Seed as it is a royal pain in the ass. But lets be real, it's by far the most effective set. Drop EP for Leech Seed, and proceed to rape opposing teams with sub-seed gayness. Yeah!

Other than that, your team is stellar. Happy battling!

Skymin needs Earth Power for Heatran and a few other things. Substitute is only really meant to protect him from priority attacks and status. If you want to subseed you'd want a different spread. Erufuun or Jaroda are much better and subseeding though. Skymin is just better at sweeping really.

Skymin needs Earth Power for Heatran and a few other things. Substitute is only really meant to protect him from priority attacks and status. If you want to subseed you'd want a different spread. Erufuun or Jaroda are much better and subseeding though. Skymin is just better at sweeping really.
I disagree, Skymin is debatably the most effective subseeder due to its ability to air slash, causing flinches and free turns of lefties recovery and leech seed.

Also, it's immense offensive potency and speed forces switches, allowing to to get up a sub against most stuff. I agree, a different EV spread would be needed though.

Thanks for the rates.

y4f said:
For Latios run Timid, Draco Meteor / Surf / Tbolt / Trick, trust me it's better. Lots more neutral coverage and still hits steels pretty hard, also most Nattorei / Skarm / Forry don't want to stay in on Latios cause of trick. HP Fire seems good on paper, but really isn't that effective.
I've actually used that set before, but found that HP Fire was much more useful. The set I have now has been working fine, I just wasn't sure about Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse, so with that, I'll change Dragon Pulse to Draco Meteor.

y4f said:
For your lead, I'd run CB Mamo instead if you really like the glass-cannon (or rather, ice cannon + priority) idea. Except for instead of a glass cannon, you get a decently bulky mammoth with immense attack, priority stab Ice Shard, a massive EQ, and a more powerful fighting move (Superpower > Low Kick).

Mamoswine @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf (preferrable to Life Orb)
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def or SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly nature
- Stone Edge
- EQ
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

This set will wreck a vast majority of leads. If you want surprise factor, go for Scarf, but if you want to utilize Ice Shard and hit as hard as possible go for the Band. Scarf is probably more effective as a lead, as you can beat ScarfTar leads that go for the tempting Stone Edge KO and OHKO (usually) with Superpower. Ice Shard 2KOs a lot of faster leads, Stone Edge hits Gyarados, Zapdos, and more, and EQ hits everything else. 100 BP with STAB coming off of 130 Atk with a Choice Band will 2KO pretty much anything that doesn't resist it. Wards off any frail switchins. The only downside this has as compared to Weavile is lack of pursuit, but otherwise I think this is by far the superior Mon. Also, everything you think Weavile will "outspeed and kill" will likely be switched out, as Weavile has limited coverage and is easily countered, while on the other hand Mamoswine is likely to hit most switchins very hard.
I've considered CB Mamo before, but the loss of Speed hurt too much, since my other two Choice users Trick away their Choice item. Then, I'd be left with no revenge killer and I could get swept. As for CS Mamo, I completely forgot about that while creating the team. I'll have to give it a try.

Jaroda said:
y4f said:
I disagree, Skymin is debatably the most effective subseeder due to its ability to air slash, causing flinches and free turns of lefties recovery and leech seed.

Also, it's immense offensive potency and speed forces switches, allowing to to get up a sub against most stuff. I agree, a different EV spread would be needed though.
For the time it's been on this team, Skymin has been used as a sweeper. But the SubSeed set will be tested, since like you said,
y4f said:
For Shaymin-S, thank you for not running Leech Seed as it is a royal pain in the ass. But lets be real, it's by far the most effective set. Drop EP for Leech Seed, and proceed to rape opposing teams with sub-seed gayness. Yeah!
So as of now, the things being tested are:

Choice Scarf Mamoswine as a lead instead of Weavile.
SubSeed set for Skymin.

EDIT:
The Mamowine set has not been working out at all, so Weavile is here to stay (for now). As for SubSeed Shaymin, it hasn't been doing as well as I expected it to, so the Shaymin set will also stay the same.

Nice Team. First thing I noticed, was you having an Urugamosu weakness, after 1 Butterfly Dance, you have no chance. I suggest something with Aqua Jet, like Sharpedo or Kabutops. Try one of these over Rotom-W, and it would fix your Urugamosu problem. Good luck.

If you are playing on Pokemon Online, I believe that Skymin is now banned, at least on Wifi. I'm not sure on Dream World. Have you considered a replacement?

Thanks for the rates.

@G NuBz
I was aware of my weakness to Urugamosu, just wasn't sure what to do about it. Something with Aqua Jet would be nice, but Rotom-W is way to valuable to lose, especially since it's a great Doryuuzu counter.

@Colonel Darren
I am playing on Pokemon Online, but using the Smogon server, so Skymin is not banned. And I haven't even begun to think about replacements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)