ORAS OU First RMT: HO and hazard hypocrisy

As stated in the title, this is my first RMT and I have a love/hate relationship with hazards. This team aims to set up hazards early and then utilize a nifty combination of rapid spin blocker, defog abuser and a solid voltturn core. This team has proven to be very successful thus far, (20-3 with the three losses being down to a 1v1) but I have a few concerns/ would like some suggestions. Again, this is my first RMT so if any of you could critic my post itself (not just the content) that would be sweet. So, we begin...

upload_2015-6-25_0-18-17.png
Skarmory
Nickname: Hypocrisy
Item: Custap
Ability: Sturdy
Evs: 252 speed, 252 attack, 4 HP Jolly
Moves: Iron Head, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Taunt

First things first, ya need a hazard setter and this is the guy to go to. Custap skarm seemed to be a lost set at the beginning of X and Y but he seems to have made a reappearance and he's just the mon for this team. I normally lead with skarm unless I see an opposing lead I don't like (I'm looking at you Mega sableye). Other than that slight flaw, Skarm performs brilliantly. Obviously, his main goal is to set up sr and spikes. However, what I've come to find the most useful is that, with the invested speed, he can taunt many common sr leads such as chomptank, lando-t, and the occasional mew. Iron head provides a surprisingly strong option to weaken fairies and hit aerodactly.

upload_2015-6-25_0-16-57.png

Gengar
Nickname: Satan's Nephew
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 speed, 252 spec att, 4 HP Timid
Moves: Taunt, Destiny bond, shadow ball, sludge wave

Next up is this evil little fucker. He's a mon who can be difficult to use sometimes and occasionally a liability, but man if you play him right, a rage quit will surely ensue. Gengar is the main fairy check for my team considering skarm is a suicide(kinda) lead. He also serves as a stall breaker and can punch holes in select opposing teams. The reason why I went sash instead of the conventional life orb is because I knew he would be checking starmie quite a bit and, even if starmie predicts the switch and hits me with a psyshock, it still did its job of keeping hazards in play. Taunt is to prevent setup sweepers from dismantling my team and destiny bond is a gimmicky way of putting down a major threat. Shadow ball and sludge wave are stabs. Fairly simple. If anyone can argue why I should use life orb instead, be my guest but I havent been in many situations where I felt like I needed one.

upload_2015-6-25_0-37-8.png

Bisharp
Nickname: Deathstroke
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
Evs: 220 Attack 92 speed 196 Hp Adamant

Moves: Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Iron Head, Knock off
Assault vest bisharp is a force to be reckoned with. Not quite as good as AV Tornados T but still. It's main job is to switch into defog users if necessary and then knock out as many mons as possible. He also acts as a reliable pursuit trapper being able to take hits from his targets like the lati twins and easily KO them. The evs are so bisharp avoids the 2HKO from latios's draco meteor. Sucker punch is a handy priority move so that I can pick off weaker faster mons. Iron head is for the fairys and combletes the dual stab and knock off is for knocking off stuff.

upload_2015-6-25_0-45-27.png

Starmie
Nickname: MYNAMESNOTRICK
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Evs: 252 Speed 252 Spec Att 4 HP Timid
Moves: Ice beam, Psyshock, Hydro Pump, Rapid spin

So, I knew I would need an answer to fire types in order to help bisharp out and some sort of a wall breaker that had some decent speed. Starmie was the answer. Honestly, the rapid spin support is nice but hasn't been necessary. This team puts enough offensive pressure on teams to not have to worry about hazards that much. Ice beam is for dragons and grass types, psyshock is for keldeo and poison types, hydro pump is standard stab and rapid spin is to get rid of hazards. Truthfully, since I don't necessarily need rapid spin, I could go with a different mon in this spot. I was thinking sylveon maybe soley to wallbreak and make my mega sableye problem more manageable.

upload_2015-6-25_0-53-26.png

Manectric
Nickname: Gohan
Item: Manectite
Ability: Lightning rod
Evs: 252 speed 252 spec attack Timid
Moves: Tbolt, volt switch, overheat, hp ice

This is the volt to my turn and what a mon it is. Wasn't a huge fan of manectric mega when it came out, but the thing provides unprecedented offensive momentum and pressure. Manectrics main job is stated above. Keep the momentum in my favor. If I can force the opposing team to make switches with the hazards up, the battle is over in 20 turns or less. Tbolt is obvious stab, volt switch is for momentum, overheat is to smack scizor, celebi after hazards, ferrothorn etc. and hp ice is to revenge kill weakened chomps and lando t's,

upload_2015-6-25_1-1-10.png

Landorus T
Nickname: Pussy....Cat
Item: choice scarf
Ability: intimidate
Evs: 252 speed, 252 attack and 4 HP Jolly
Moves: U turn, eq, stone edge, and knock off

Scarfed lando t completes my team and my voltturn core. Scarfed lando t provides fantastic offensive coverage coupled with great revenge killing ability. He is my talonflame check amongst many others. I opted for the scarf over defensive or sd because of one thing: momentum. Even though all his sets are viable, I didn't need him slowing the team down. U turn is for momentum, eq is for stab coverage, stone edge is for talon flame (might change it to rockslide) and knock off is for knock off.

upload_2015-6-25_0-16-57.png upload_2015-6-25_0-18-17.png upload_2015-6-25_0-37-8.png upload_2015-6-25_0-45-27.png upload_2015-6-25_0-53-26.png upload_2015-6-25_1-1-10.png

Like I stated earlier, this team has worked well. However, there are some threats that I would like to see if they can be adressed.

Threats:

Mega Sableye- pisses of skarm and can't be stopped by any other mon. I have gotten past it twice through chip damage but his still a pain in muh ass.

Mega altaria- This is mainly for the dd. I can sacrifice gengar to stop it but I'd rather save gengar for other mons.

Stall teams - if gengar is down, forget about it

defog users- regardless of bisharp, they will always be a pain

Im sure theres more, so just comment if you think of one and how I can counter it.

Potential changes:

Starmie to Sylveon: for mega sableye

Voltturn core change: not sure of a good combo, but its an option

Heres some battles:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-2436832411

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-243683241

So, there you have it. Hope it was readable/ met the requirements for RMT thread posting. 1000 thanks in advance compadres.

Signing off.

Attachments

As far as post critique goes, I believe this thread should be tagged "ORAS OU," as you're listing threats exclusive to ORAS rather than X and Y.

Hi nice team I will suggest some changes :3
  • Run taunt or destiny bond on gengar not both because focus blast helps against dark types
Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt / Destiny bond / Substitute

• You can try special defensive excadrill over Skarmory,it checks Sableye hard and can set up rocks against sableye
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

I am not sure that excadrill gonna work but u can try excadrill ,it also removes defog users from threat because it can switch-in and out 2-3 times :3.

If you will add excadrill u can remove bisharp and put Scizor over Bisharp because it can deal with mega alt quite more reliably and as u lacks set up sweeper Scizor fills the role :3
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower / Knock off
- Roost

U can even try Pursuit over knock off but I don't gonna suggest that.

PS: Minor tweak: change your "XY OU" tag to an "ORAS OU" tag by going to Thread Tools > Edit Title

Nice team overall. You say you've have some success with it. That's great. Usually that means you're on the right track. Your best bet to deal with Mega-Sableye is doing exactly as you said and putting Sylveon on your team in place of Starmie. You lose out on water coverage which honestly could be a problem if you run in to a fellow Lando-T and Bisharp is down, BUT you do deal with Mega Sableye AND Mega Altaria a little better. As for what set to run on Sylveon I'm not exactly sure. Choice specs is always good to smack the shit out of something on a switch. Or you could run an AV set instead of running it on Bisharp.

I like the Skarmory set as a hazard setter then get a priority attack off before dying. Idk if I agree with iron head, however. Sure, it hits fairies but I don't usually see fairies being brought in on Skarmory. Clef could set up on your set, but idk if your opponents will try it since Skarmory could just whirlwind it out (or in your case make them think you have Whirlwind). Also, Aerodactly isn't too common in OU so I don't think you would need to worry about it too much. I suggest using either Brave Bird or explosion for your final resort attack. Brave bird usually hits hard as hell when it isn't resisted and can help deal with lead Breloom and M-venusaur. Explosion is pretty much if you wanna nuke something before you die, although brave bird has a bit more usefulness.

That's about it for now. Nice team. My suggestions obviously are optional to help you deal with some of your current team's problems. Just be wary of opposing LO Bisharps running Max attack/Max Speed SD/Brick Break, iron head, SP, KO. could be a problem if your lando is weak or gives it a defiant-boosted intimidate or Heaven forbid your lando is weakened AND gives it a defiant boost lol.

Goodluck and keep winning!

Hi nice team I will suggest some changes :3
  • Run taunt or destiny bond on gengar not both because focus blast helps against dark types
Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt / Destiny bond / Substitute

• You can try special defensive excadrill over Skarmory,it checks Sableye hard and can set up rocks against sableye
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

I am not sure that excadrill gonna work but u can try excadrill ,it also removes defog users from threat because it can switch-in and out 2-3 times :3.

If you will add excadrill u can remove bisharp and put Scizor over Bisharp because it can deal with mega alt quite more reliably and as u lacks set up sweeper Scizor fills the role :3
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower / Knock off
- Roost

U can even try Pursuit over knock off but I don't gonna suggest that.

PS: Minor tweak: change your "XY OU" tag to an "ORAS OU" tag by going to Thread Tools > Edit Title
Thanks for the response! I will try to run focus blast on gengar instead of taunt or destiny bond. It'll be tough to decide which to replace because taunt helps me prevent setup sweepers to take advantage of gengar and it helps me wall Chansey. However, destiny bond has helped knock out some important threats in the past and scare off some faster mons once d bond is activated. I'll mess around with it.

Skarm is kinda of a staple on this team because it has taunt, sr and spikes all in one convent package so I probs won't run excadrill.

Scizor is definitely an option (even though I prefer the mega) as a setup sweeper. However, the bulky av bis harp has been effective on this team because it allows me to pursuit trap defoggers. I'll definitely think about it.

thanks again for the reply!

Nice team overall. You say you've have some success with it. That's great. Usually that means you're on the right track. Your best bet to deal with Mega-Sableye is doing exactly as you said and putting Sylveon on your team in place of Starmie. You lose out on water coverage which honestly could be a problem if you run in to a fellow Lando-T and Bisharp is down, BUT you do deal with Mega Sableye AND Mega Altaria a little better. As for what set to run on Sylveon I'm not exactly sure. Choice specs is always good to smack the shit out of something on a switch. Or you could run an AV set instead of running it on Bisharp.

I like the Skarmory set as a hazard setter then get a priority attack off before dying. Idk if I agree with iron head, however. Sure, it hits fairies but I don't usually see fairies being brought in on Skarmory. Clef could set up on your set, but idk if your opponents will try it since Skarmory could just whirlwind it out (or in your case make them think you have Whirlwind). Also, Aerodactly isn't too common in OU so I don't think you would need to worry about it too much. I suggest using either Brave Bird or explosion for your final resort attack. Brave bird usually hits hard as hell when it isn't resisted and can help deal with lead Breloom and M-venusaur. Explosion is pretty much if you wanna nuke something before you die, although brave bird has a bit more usefulness.

That's about it for now. Nice team. My suggestions obviously are optional to help you deal with some of your current team's problems. Just be wary of opposing LO Bisharps running Max attack/Max Speed SD/Brick Break, iron head, SP, KO. could be a problem if your lando is weak or gives it a defiant-boosted intimidate or Heaven forbid your lando is weakened AND gives it a defiant boost lol.

Goodluck and keep winning!
Thanks for the reply!

Yea if mega sableye continues to be a problem I will let sylveon address it (two of my three losses were because of mega sableye but I was able to beat him once through a combination of u turn lando and starmie hydro pump)

As for brave bird on skarm, I agree it would be nice to have the extra power, however, sometimes keeping it alive with one hp can help me get up another layer of spikes or taunt a setup sweeper so if we're to run another attacking move it would be drill peck I guess. As for clef, I've never had a problem with the calm mind ones cause of taunt and the fact that I out speed him. It's funny when they think they can setup then I taunt it and either setup another layer of spikes or hit him with an iron head for damage before I get ko'd from flamethrower.

Thanks again dawg

Thanks for the response! I will try to run focus blast on gengar instead of taunt or destiny bond. It'll be tough to decide which to replace because taunt helps me prevent setup sweepers to take advantage of gengar and it helps me wall Chansey. However, destiny bond has helped knock out some important threats in the past and scare off some faster mons once d bond is activated. I'll mess around with it.

Skarm is kinda of a staple on this team because it has taunt, sr and spikes all in one convent package so I probs won't run excadrill.

Scizor is definitely an option (even though I prefer the mega) as a setup sweeper. However, the bulky av bis harp has been effective on this team because it allows me to pursuit trap defoggers. I'll definitely think about it.

thanks again for the reply!
imo replace destiny bond for focus blast on gengar because you rarely gets chance to use destiny bond,Excadrill has mold breaker so it can toxic the opposing mega sab and u can run pursuit on Scizor too ,Scizor is better than bisharp I am quite sure n_n

P.S. Good Luck , Have Fun :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)