ORAS OU First RMT in a long while, any help is much appreciated!

Hey guys and gals, I've been trying to get back into the ORAS OU tier after taking a long break from Pokemon and this is a team I put together after playing around for the last week or so. I'm still learning the optimal sets and I'm not gonna lie most of it is just copy/pasted from Smogon so if anyone can really help me out on tweaking things there or if there's threats that just absolutely destroy this team then I'd really love to hear feedback on it and what I can do better in terms of team-building.

Changes from the original team are denoted with strike-throughs and the updated version is in red text.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Since I'm getting back in, I wanted to synergize the team around a mon I've never really used before in Weavile. With a nice priority move in Ice Shard, a solid utility move in Knock off and immense speed, Weavile is just nice to do a whole lot of damage before it gets knocked out thanks to its low defenses and weakness to hazards. I ultimately chose to go LK over Poison Jab or Pursuit after finalizing the team since I've got a couple decent checks to Fairies and the lati@s twins already and I was a bit weak to opposing Heatran without it.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball Defog
- Defog

With Weaville's weakness to hazards, hazard removal was really necessary and Latios also does a great job of dealing with Keldeo who pretty much walls Weavile along with a few other fighting mons similar to that. Energy Ball is on there specifically to deal with Water/Ground type mons who can otherwise pretty much wreak havoc on this team as I don't really have many counters other than that but otherwise it's a pretty standard set. Switched out Energy Ball for Defog for added longevity on Latios both to help with continued hazard removal and keep up pressure for as long as possible.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt Roar
- Stealth Rock

SpDef Heatran is one of my favorite pokemon in the game and just works really well on most teams and the balloon makes sure that I can get up rocks, after that Toxic can wear down the opposition and Taunt is there to shut down an opportunity to either set-up or start throwing out hazards. Switched out Taunt for Roar to help phaze out potential set-up mons which can become an issue. The 120 Speed EV's are there specifically to outrun Rotom-W and min speed Azu and hit them with either Toxic or Taunt depending on the situation.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch

After looking at the rest of the team, bulky waters were already looking to be a problem with Energy Ball from Latios being my only way to wear them down. The set is basically the standard M!Manectric set and this mon works really well with the one below as Manectric can't really afford to take hits from the numerous physical attackers using Earthquake along with forming a solid Volt-Turn core that lets me keep up momentum.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

I went with a physically defensive set as without it, this team would be really weak to physical attackers along with giving this team another priority user besides the somewhat frail Weavile. Scizor also works pretty nicely late-game in my few trial runs as well since it can SD up, hit with BP and Roost to gain back health if the opponent lacks a solid attacker. As mentioned above, it also keeps solid momentum as a slow U-Turner that lets teammates like Manectric and Weavile come in without being touched.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Switched out DD T-Tar for Belly Drum Azu at a suggestion from Sobi and having Azu in the back as a late game sweeper has been huge in the few games I've played after the changes. At +6, even resisted Aqua Jets do a whole lot of damage and since the other team has usually been fairly weakened by that point it can almost always OHKO whatever's on the other side thanks to them being worn down.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Not gonna lie, I've messed around with a lot of different mons in this last spot and while the rest of the team works pretty well, this last one has been a struggle. I've used T-Tar a lot as a scarfer in the past but with Weavile to deal with the Lati twins, I kinda wanted to try a DD set instead of my usual go-to. If you guys could suggest a better choice for this last one I am all ears as this is the one I'm most willing to switch up for some alternate choice.

So there's the team, thanks again for taking the time to look at this and (hopefully) dropping a bit of knowledge to help someone get back into learning the current meta!

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey there, cmitts93. A very nice team here--I especially like the use of Mega Manectric, as it's a Mega I don't see that often. Your team doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, bar 1 that I'll speak about later, and I do have some moveset concerns that I'd like to mention, though I'll talk more about that later. Moreover, there's nothing wrong with using Smogon sets! They're there for a reason, and there's definitely no shame in using them! Anyway, onto the rate.

With your team seeming reliant on Manectric, Weavile and Latios to pressurize the opponent, it's crucial you have a way for them to recover if they're at very low health. Therefore, I think you should go for Roost > Energy Ball on Latios as this means that at least one of your Pokemon has a way to increase its longevity in the field. The coverage from Energy Ball greatly helps against Water- and Ground-types like you mentioned, and there is a reason as to why I think it should go, but I'll talk more about that later.

Now, your team seems a bit weak to set-up sweepers, namely Swords Dance Bisharp and Calm Mind Raikou. These Pokemon can switch in on Heatran and Latios (after it has used Draco Meteor because of the stat drop), and set up once or twice, before attempting to sweep your team. The best way to avoid this problem is to go Roar > Taunt on Heatran, as this allows you to phaze those Pokemon out. Now you may be thinking what the difference between Roar and Taunt is, as they both stop the foe from setting up. Well, Taunt indeed does stop them, but the foe still remains in the field, whereas Roar blows them away from the field, which can come in handy when your in unpleasant situations.

Your Scizor EV spread and moveset both tell me completely different things about Scizor - the moveset is a fairly bulky one, but the EV spread is more on the defensive side, and due to this, Scizor's attacking capabilities are limited, which is why I suggest using a spread of 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD, which is the standard Mega Scizor spread, except this is now for Scizor. With this spread, you can tank hits, whilst also being able to 2HKO / close OHKO Pokemon such as Mega Gardevoir. The difference is remarkable between this and your spread, and I think you should consider it.

Your team is quite weak to Sand Rush Excadrill, and Mega Lopunny, and you also need a win-con / late-game sweeper that'll finish off weakened foes fairly reliably. I think that Belly Drum Azumarill is the best fit for the last slot. Tyranitar is quite slow, doesn't have notable priority, unlike Azumarill, and adds more weaknesses to the team, particularly to Water-types, which is why I opted for Azumarill. Belly Drum Azumarill has the potential to sweep an entire team, just so long as it is used properly - like I said earlier, it's a solid wincon, and the coverage it has access to means that at +6, it can KO any Pokemon that doesn't resist one of its moves (provided that they haven't set up, etc).

Good luck, and I hope I helped!

Summary:

Roost > Energy Ball on Latios
Roar > Taunt on Heatran
Scizor bulky spread > current spread

Belly Drum Azumarill > Tyranitar
Sets:
Scizor @ Leftovers | Technician
Impish | 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Bullet Punch | U-turn | Swords Dance | Roost

Heatran @ Air Balloon | Flash Fire
Calm | 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe | 0 Atk IVs
Lava Plume | Toxic | Taunt | Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb | Levitate
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | 0 Atk IVs
Draco Meteor | Psyshock | Energy Ball | Defog

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help man, I'll definitely try out those changes you've suggested and see how it goes. The only thing I was wondering is would you go with an Adamant nature on Scizor or something else?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Thanks so much for the help man, I'll definitely try out those changes you've suggested and see how it goes. The only thing I was wondering is would you go with an Adamant nature on Scizor or something else?
No problem, glad I could be of some help [:
As for the nature, sticking with Impish is recommended, because the current set is focused on bulk rather than offensive damage, and using an Adamant or Jolly nature means that Scizor can't run a bulky set, which has a lot of benefits.

Gotcha, I'll definitely go in and switch up the nature then.

Also, I just tried my first game with your tweaks added and Azu definitely did its job cleaning up with the +6 Aqua Jet so I'm already really liking it, thanks again!

Solid team but I think that are things to improve. The first thing is that Latios is really annoying for Azumarill and Manectric, for this reason my suggest is to try Pursuit on Weavile, that really works in this team because helps the Azumarill sweep.
Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Also Chansey is really annoying for this team because stop Manectric and you don't really break it, also Stall Team are annoying for this team, because you don't have a Stallbreaker in this team. Also Air Balloon isn't a good choice on Defensive Heatran, leftovers are always a better option for SpDef Heatran since it needs the recovery to continually switch into Talonflame, Clefable, Serperior, the Latis, M-Manectric, and etc. without being severely weakened. Unlike Pokemon like Clefable or even Ferrothorn, Heatran has no recovery option outside of Rest, so Leftovers help you get the most mileage out of it defensively. Outside of that I think that in this team Offensive Heatran is the best option, because trap Chansey (that is really good for Manectric) and improve your matchup against Stall Team.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Scizor no-mega isn't a good option in this metagame, also you need a stealth Rock setter, and a check for Sand Teams that destroy this team easily. Also you haven't a good Swich-in to Lopunny and Metagross and Bisharp really destroy this team because you haven't pokemon that stop it and Manectric boost the Bisharp Attack with Intimidate. Heatran can stop it but isn't a Swich-in. I think that Garchomp>Scizor is the best option in this team because helps to check this things.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Also Azumarill is your main Swich against Weavile, for this reason I don't think that Belly Drum is the best choice in this team, my suggest is to try Choice Band that is really good in this moment and helps you to break a Balanced/Stall Build.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rought
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Set Complete:
Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock off

Hope help you :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)