First RMT: Latias is a honey badger

Hey everyone, this is my first RMT on Smogon. I've been lurking on the forums for quite some time, never bothered to make an account. I finally got off my lazy ass and decided to actually be a part of the community. This is the first team that I've found reasonable success with, and could use any help to tweak the problems I've had.

TEAM BUILDING

I originally started with a Latias Lucario core, resisting all types together except flying. Two really strong pokemon, each serving a different purpose, yet I didn't have any hazards yet. Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin are always useful (almost mandatory in this meta), so out comes my favorite spinner...

While Latias can shrug off special attacks with ease, I need someone to soak up the physical assaults. Donphan serves as a great tank, can set up Stealth Rock consistently with his bulk and Sturdy, and can spin away threats. Add in Roar, and I have a lot of utility in one Pokemon. However, I still need a check to flying moves (CB Brave Birds come to mind), so I decided to consider the dreaded duo, the massively overplayed (and for good reason)...

Yes, Volt-Turn is really strong. Yes, Volt-Turn is used by too many people. However, there is a reason why it's so popular; the offensive momentum it can get you is sometimes too valuable to give up. With a spinner in the team, I won't be worn out from hazards, and can look for a good time to start a Lucario or Latias sweep. Here, I was unsure how to continue, and decided I would continue the Volt-Turn theme with...

One of my favorites from Gen V, Mienshao serves as a great scout, U-Turns out, and Regenerator keeps me healthy throughout the match. However, I was not satisfied. Apart from WoW, I had no form of status, and although much of my team was reasonably bulky, I realized paralysis could really benefit my team. Not wanting to put T-Wave and WoW on Rotom-W, changes needed to be made. Mienshao was the weakest link, and although her scouting potential was much appreciated, she had to go.

Jirachi has really impressed me with how useful she can be. Para-Flinch can push games in my favor, and her excellent typing and great bulk keeps her in the match for longer than most expect. Wish support is also a plus. However, with Jirachi, I now had quite the fire problem. I had reasonable switch-ins (Rotom-W and Latias shrug off fire easily, and don't mind being burned), but in the end, I decided one of the steels needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, that steel was Lucario. No longer holding true to the Latias Lucario core made me sad, but stubbornly holding on to it doesn't benefit me.

In comes Toxicroak, filling the exactly same role as Lucario, but with a better Ability in Dry Skin and a useful typing to boot. Yes, this makes me a little weak to sun teams, but I've had no problems thus far; Latias is that good of a check to them.

THE TEAM ITSELF

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Fire Punch

Jirachi soaks up special attacks with ease, and it's typing causes constant switches, especially with Para-Flinch. I originally had U-Turn instead of Fire Punch, but surprisingly many people do not expect her to run it. It is my least used move (Iron Head usually takes priority obviously), and am open to suggestions for what it can be replaced with. Wish support is always a plus on any team, keeping my team healthy to continue the pressure.

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Cross Chop
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

I hated Toxicroak originally, feeling that its major Psychic weakness was just too big of a liability. However, Dry Skin is so useful, as rain teams are running rampant everywhere. Although Cross Chop is unreliable most of the time, Drain Punch is illegal with Ice Punch. SD Sucker Punch wreck any Psychic types thinking they can take me on. He requires some predictions and mind games to play well, but he can sweep teams easily with little support.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

My all-time favorite, Latias has always been under-appreciated and underestimated. Great natural bulk gives it survivability, and with CM Recover and its excellent typing, setting up can be fairly easy. Dragon Pulse + HP Fire covers everyone except Heatran, but can overpower him with CM Recover with Dragon Pulse. Toxic is a problem, but WoW is such a common move that its surprisingly easy to get Latias burned. This usually means a win for me, as Toxic no longer is a problem, meaning Sucker Punch is my only major worry (Ice Shard to an extent, but a less common worry). Really, Latias is an absolute monster, and should be used more often.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Your standard CB Scizor set, not much to say here. CB Technician BP is remarkably powerful, Pursuit trapping can take care of threats to both Latias and Toxicroak. Superpower dents a lot of switch-ins (bulky waters are usually 2HKOed), and U-Turn to scout. Easy, effective, overplayed. Can't get away from Scizor...

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Roar

My trusty Defensive Tank, with so much utility, and a handy Ability. Stealth Rock because Volcarona is a problem for my team, and hazards are always appreciated. Rapid Spin is IMO a must on a team, clearing entry hazards that can wear important members out. This is especially true for Volt-Turn users. Roar + Sturdy is a great safety net that can phaze out potential sweepers and save games, and Earthquake hits hard and provides the always useful token ground move. My only complaint is lack of reliable recovery (Wish works, and with good predictions is all that is required), but even with something like Slack Off, every move serves an important purpose. Suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp

This damn washing machine. Easily one of the most annoying Pokemon to arrive on the scene, you can do so much with his wide array of moves. I have had the most success with this set, but I'm considering dropping the CS Trick combo for a Pain Split with Leftovers build. I would of course change EVs and such to go bulky, but the lack of recovery atm is really holding it back.

This is the team thus far, and could really use some suggestions. On a side note, the EVs may look strange, but its habit for me to have everyone with an odd number of Hit Points. Thanks for your time, and for the potential help. :)

Reserved for Threat List

Thus far, Volcarona and Sun teams have been a bit of a problem, but Stealth Rock + Rotom-W Hydro Pump can stop its sweep, and Latias is a great Sun Team counter.
Lum DDnite has also caused problems, but Stealth Rocks help, and Donphan can usually Roar me to safety. Toxicroak can also Ice Punch on a good prediction to stop the sweep from happening.

Really don't understand your reasoning for running Dry Skin without rain; regardless of how popular rain teams are. You automatically lose a Poke when you do run across a sun team.
Also WoW on choiced Rotom-W! I'm assuming your trying to troll players. :p

Id suggest replacing Toxi for Sub Terrakion. You'll be able to Sub on Ninetales and hit with a CC or SD on the switch. Rock gem will allow you to hit DNite hard... As well as nailing most Volcarona variants. Switch WoW on Rotom-W to HP Ice in case Adamant Dragonite gets greedy and can also hit Gliscor for better accuracy and for those in the Sun. Hope that helps. No time for more lol

Terrakion@Rock Gem
Trait:Justified
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Adamant
~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

Thanks for the rate Ricky Horror.
I run WoW even on scarfed Rotom-W, it has given me key burns a number of occasions. I originally went for HP Ice on Rotom-W, but ended up dropping it for WoW for the utility. I will definitely give it another try though.
Toxicroak with Dry Skin is definitely better than Anticipation or Poison Touch. Being able to switch in on a water move and recover lost health is nice, though, like you mentioned, sun teams already cause problems for me, and it compounds the problem. I will give Terrakion a try, thanks for the suggestion, I could potentially get a Justified proc with a Latias bait as well.

Reserved for Threat List

Thus far, Volcarona and Sun teams have been a bit of a problem, but Stealth Rock + Rotom-W Hydro Pump can stop its sweep, and Latias is a great Sun Team counter.
Lum DDnite has also caused problems, but Stealth Rocks help, and Donphan can usually Roar me to safety. Toxicroak can also Ice Punch on a good prediction to stop the sweep from happening.
Since sun teams give you trouble, I would at least replace one of rotom's moves with rain dance. It makes no sense facing a sun team, and your toxicroak loses health each turn, losing health from life orb and possibly lose health from hazards. Sun teams with Chlorophyll users would easily hurt your team.
Looking at your team, it can easily be transformed into a rain team at your choosing with rain dance on rotom or some other poke. With rain dance on rotom or some other poke, you can choose when you want to set up rain. At least this way, you won't have to worry about your fire moves being weakened very long. In rain rotoms hydro pump will get powered up, fire moves won't hit scizor or jirachi as hard and toxicroak would recover health each turn. On the down side, Donphan will get hit much harder from water attacks and hp fire and fire punch will be much weaker but after setting up rain it will only last 5 turns.

If you insist on WoW then go ahead and run a bulky set. Which would make more sense in the long run. Once your opponent catches on to this they will play dililgently against, especially seasoned players.

Thank you both of you for the suggestions, I will be trying out bulky Rotom-W with Pain Split and Leftovers, and switching Toxicroak with the suggested Terrakion set. I am unsure with going Rain Dance with Rotom-W, no matter how much that sounds appealing to me, as I would have to sacrifice WoW (which is an option), or Pain Split. I'll try it out regardless, and see how it goes.

ahmado, T-Wave was considered, but Body Slam has a 60% paralysis rate as well as damaging ground types as well. As heinz25 mentioned, if I do go Rain Dance, I may go Thunder, though that would make me reconsider my Para-Flinch set used. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)