ORAS OU First RMT: Mega Gallade Balanced Team

EDIT 11/29*

I've been a lurker for the past few months after getting into competitive Pokemon battling and I wanted to get some input on my ORAS team. Before I go into the team, I want to go over some general things that i like to have on a team before I build it. I like to have it split into 3 physical attackers and 3 special attackers. I like to have at least 1 physical wall and 1 special wall. I also like to have at least 2 priority move users. And then finally, having a stealth rocks setter and a defogger/spinner is mandatory. Now let's go into the team:

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Despite the fact that Gallade's non-mega ability is better than his mega ability, Mega Gallade is essentially a much better Medicham. It is at the crucial 110 speed tier which is the new standard thanks to the speed creep of ORAS, leaving those who are slower quite vulnerable. Not only that, Gallade can Swords Dance making it a very scary sweeper rather than just a 1 turn wallbreaker like Medicham. Now let's go into the moveset. [1] Close Combat is your bread and butter fighting move. It's power is just too much to pass up for Drain Punch, which I feel is a move suited for more bulky pokemon who can abuse it anyway. Next we have [2] Psycho Cut, and this one is debatable. Although Zen Headbutt hits for 10 more BP, it's also 10% less accurate, and that's something that I favor over power. Also Psycho Cut has the niche of critting more often, but really this just come down to a preference of accuracy over power. Next we have the most debatable move, the notorious 3rd slot move, [3] Shadow Sneak. Now many people would run Knock Off or Ice Punch for this slot, but I feel having priority allows Gallade to stay in the field much longer and keep its momentum. It also allows Gallade to keep sweeping if it brings an opponent low enough after hitting them with a Close Combat on a forced switch out. This can also be crucial in finishing off the new fast but frail sweepers, Sceptile and Beedrill. Finally we have [4] Swords Dance. And I have Swords Dance because it's Swords Dance. Gallade's only concession to Medicham is that it does not start out with well over 600 Atk when it is sent out. But of course 1 Swords Dance easily pushes Gallade past that, boasting over 800 Atk.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Next we have Bisharp. You've seen it hundreds of times; Psychic/Fighting with Dark/Steel. It's an overused type combo (how fitting for this tier), but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the best out there. Bisharp is one of my favorite pokemon, and it isn't just the looks or the typing, it's this nasty little moveset along with his broken ability, Defiant. Now let's take a look at the moveset. First we have [1] Sucker Punch for obvious reasons. Bisharp's not too fast and so it's mandatory that he have priority. Bisharp can greatly abuse this on the frailer fast sweepers like Greninja (assuming it's not dark at the time). Next we have [2] Knock Off, which is another obvious choice because it hits like a truck and removes a held item. Need I give any more explanation? Now the third moveslot is my personal favorite to run with Sucker Punch and that's [3] Pursuit. So Bisharp can often scare out pokemon and Pursuit allows it to nuke them; I'm looking at you Lati@s. Now the reason why I love Sucker Punch and Pursuit is that it makes Bisharp completely unpredictable. Let me illustrate: If you try to attack me, I'll Sucker Punch you. If you try to run away, I'll trap you. And if you try to set up on me, I'll Knock Off, and then Sucker Punch when you try to hit me. Now lastly we have [4] Iron Head, because it's STAB, and there are fairies.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rounding off the core, we have Rotom-Wash. Rotom serves as my team's physical wall and my bird-spam check. Rotom-W also has great synergy with Clefable who doesn't appreciate Steel attacks, which Rotom quad-resists. The EV spread is pretty standard, with the 44 Speed EVs to outspeed Max Speed Azumarill. Now let's go into the moveset very briefly. We have [1] Volt Switch for momentum and Electric STAB and then [2] Hydro Pump for hard-hitting Water STAB. Then we have [3] Will-O-Wisp to stop physical sweepers dead in their tracks. Finally we have [4] Pain Split for Rotom's source of recovery.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

My replacement for Greninja, thanks to the advice of Questro. The EV spread is for maximum physical bulk allowing Clefable to safely set up Calm Minds, after which Clefable will have great special bulk as well. Life Orb is for an extra 30% damage boost at no cost thanks to Magic Guard. Clefable serves the role as my set-up special sweeper and fighting-type check, but most importantly, it serves as my Mega Sableye counter. The great thing about Clefable is not only does it counter Mega Sableye, it can actually set-up on it. Thanks to Magic Guard, Sabeleye can't stall out Clefable with Will-O-Wisp. Another small niche that Clefable fills is my Bug-resistor which I have 1 weakness to and no other resistances to. For example I can easily switch in Clefable on Scarf Terrakion who might otherwise threaten my Latios with X-Scissor. The moveset is pretty standard; [1] Moonblast for maximum STAB, [2] Flamethrower to hit Steel types, [3] Soft-Boiled for recover, and [4] Calm Mind for setting up a sweep. So far Clefable has been a great success, and I'm happy I tried swapped him in. So thanks again, Questro.

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Here we have my Stealth Rocks setter and my special wall, Ferrothorn. The EV spread is for decent physical bulk for eating Earthquakes, and the rest are in Special Defense for good special bulk. Ferrothorn is equipped with a Shed Shell so that way I don't have to sacrifice it every time someone uses Magnezone, which is an increasingly common threat in OU these days. I also chose Ferrothorn as my special wall so that i could deal with Fairy attacks which utterly wreck parts of my team. Let's dive right into the moveset. We have [1] Stealth Rock because every team needs Stealth Rock. Next we have [2] Gyro Ball, which for reasons explained earlier, can really do a number on some pokemon that would like to set up on Ferrothorn. Then we have [3] Power Whip for pure power and Grass STAB. Lastly we have [4] Leech Seed for extra recovery and residual damage on the opponent.

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Last but not least we have my defogger and assistant special attacker, Latios. I chose Latios because I needed a fast defogger and Latios is the fastest out there in OU (viably speaking). Additonally, Latios deals with Fighting attacks alongside Gallade, which utterly cripple Bisharp and Greninja. Now let's go over the moveset. First we have [1] Draco Meteor for hard-hitting Dragon STAB. Next we have [2] Psyshock for Psychic STAB, and a way for Latios to hit Special Walls hard. Now the third move I know I'm going to get a ton of flack for, but hear me out. I chose Earthquake so that Latios has a way to deal with Heatran which loves to switch in on Latios and put rocks back up after a Defog. But then they never expect an Earthquake to come and destroy them. Additionally, it allows Latios to still retaliate even after being at -2 SpA from Draco Meteor. Earthquake is a really niche move, but you'd be surprised how often people innocently switch in specially defensive Heatran on my Latios only to then nerd rage in the chat window seconds later. Earthquake is great for luring in Heatran also because it gets Heatran out of the way for Clefable to sweep. Lastly we have [4] Defog, to get rid of rocks and the like.

I hope that I was informative enough on my thinking for each of these pokemon, and I want to assure you all that I am very open to criticism as well as pokemon switch suggestions and move swap suggestions. I started out in the 1100s on PS, but I'm now 1348 after making some suggested changes.

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Wow, the description. I like that you actually read the rules and didn't skimp out on typing a summary.
Great team to be constructed around Mega Gallade. I actually think I might use this one, if you don't mind, which I rarely do with teams. But may I recommend instead of Earthquake on Latios, use HP Fire instead. Then switch HP Fire out for Dark Pulse/Low Kick/U-Turn/Shadow Sneak it really is your decision. Other than that, I love this team. So good luck with laddering with it.

Hope I helped.

Thanks for the kind feedback. You're welcome to try this team out. The only reason I'm hesitant to use HP Fire on Latios is that I don't want to lose the ability to speed tie with other 110 tier pokemon, which are now more abundant than ever, but most notoriously to Latios, Gengar.

Pent

dumb broad
Thanks for the kind feedback. You're welcome to try this team out. The only reason I'm hesitant to use HP Fire on Latios is that I don't want to lose the ability to speed tie with other 110 tier pokemon, which are now more abundant than ever, but most notoriously to Latios, Gengar.
You could possibly try Scarf Trick Latios. If you would like to try it out, here is the main set.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Trick
- Hidden Power Fire

I would not consider this balanced seeing as you have only 1 wall, but cool team nonetheless. Maybe change your Greninja set to be Dark Pulse / Ice Beam / Gunk Shot / Low Kick? It's done me well, deals with Empoleon a lot better.

Rotom Wash is my physical wall and Ferrothorn is my special wall. I agree that Rotom is not the bulkiest of physical walls, but there aren't a lot of bulky electric types out there, especially those that can WoW. Low Kick on Greninja is an interesting suggestion.

Rotom Wash is my physical wall and Ferrothorn is my special wall. I agree that Rotom is not the bulkiest of physical walls, but there aren't a lot of bulky electric types out there, especially those that can WoW. Low Kick on Greninja is an interesting suggestion.
Shouldn't your walls be Rotom-W as your special wall and Ferrothorn as your physical wall???

Hi friend :)

This is a really well-thought out team centered around Mega Gallade, and you covered a lot of ground with it so I don't want to change too much. However, I have a few suggestions that could possibly benefit your team.

First, while you did say that Ferrothorn is your special wall, I would consider optimizing your spread with the standard EV's.

Code:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Your extra special defense won't necessarily do much for you, as the things you want the special defense for like Mega Gardevoir will 2HKO regardless of how much investment you put in.

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 202-238 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 380-448 (107.9 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 256-304 (72.7 - 86.3%)

And the things that wouldn't 2HKO or OHKO you will rarely help out either.
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Ferrothorn: 140-165 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery versus
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 133-157 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The extra defense can also help out against certain physical attackers that Ferrothorn would be more comfortable switching it to such as Mold Breaker Excadrill/Mega Gyara (Though you would want Impish over Sassy to have a much higher shot of avoiding the 2HKO on +1 Crunch), Mega Metagross and the likes.

Also, since you are using your Ferrothorn to cover a lot of the special threats, I would recommend SHED SHELL over leftovers, simply because Magnezone is everywhere now. If you lose your Ferrothorn from a trap, a well-played Mega Diancie, Mega Gard, Greninja, etc. could run through your team. It also makes a bit more sense since you are not running protect on your Ferrothorn, so you really won't be gaining back passive recovery by stalling anyway. Personal preference here.

The next major change I would recommend is Swords Dance Talonflame/Bulk Up Talonflame/Any Talonflame set over Greninja. Greninja is indeed a beast in this meta with its newfound Tutor moves; however, it doesn't look as it does as much or can do better than with a Talonflame in its place. Here are my reasons:

-Mega Sableye, with a calm mind or two under its belt, could ravage your team, burning Bisharp and Mega Gallade to neuter their attacks (not to mention Gallade's stabs can't touch Sableye) and tanking the rest of your team with a few CM's.
-You can take on Clefable a bit easier. Even when Greninja can gunkshot the fairy to death, it can't reliably switch in. Bisharp and Ferrothorn will similary get worn down, especially if Clefable packs a fire move. Unaware Clefable, who is on the rise, can tank your Mega Gallade for days as well.
-Mega Loppuny breaks this team in half. With just a bit of prior damage, Mega Loppuny outspeeds and 2HKO's/1HKO's all of your team while resisting your main priority attacks (Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch). Mega Sceptile can be a problem as well.
-Mew, while rarer these days, can stall your Greninja out with LO damage since you lack dark pulse and burn your Bisharp to cripple it.
-Your team is already well equipped to support Talonflame. You have defog support, hard-hitting physical attackers/lures (Earthquake Latios) that can wear down Talonflame's checks, and Pokes that can take on those counter's attacks (Ferrothorn for Rotom, Latios for Zapdos, etc.)

Talonflame still breaks down unprepared Offense like Greninja, albeit not at the quite same level, but adds much more to your team.

I would recommend the Swords Dance set, just so you have an easier time breaking through Mega Sableye, but any other set could potentially work in its stead.

Anyways, those are my two cents; it's mostly personal preference but I hoped my rate helped!

Code:
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak

Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
This set outspeeds Thundurus so you can get off a boosted Flare Blitz or Brave Bird (if you want to avoid the T-Wave), while giving you decent bulk to switch into Clefable and Sableye. Two Swords Dances is enough to OHKO Sableye with Brave Bird holding a Sharp Beak, but if you want a bit more insurance in terms of bulk, you can opt for Leftovers.

Code:
Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance/Bulk Up/Will-o-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt/Flare Blitz
This is a bulkier approach to the previous set, allowing you more safer set-up opportunities on the likes of Mega Sableye and overall more bulk to switch into certain threats. Swords Dance if you really hate Mega Sableye as you can outboost it, Bulk Up if you're looking to tank physical attackers (more like an endgame type set), Taunt and Will-o-wisp if you want to Stallbreak (would not recommend if you're looking to break Mega Sableye though), and Flare Blitz if you want a fire move.

Or you can always go the traditional route:
Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace/Tailwind/Steel Wing/Roost/Will-o-wisp

which has a 87.5% chance to 2HKO Max Def Mega Sable, and gives you more immediate presence against Offensive Teams and more offensive utility with U-turn/Tailwind.

Mega Sableye in general is a pain to take care of without a strong Fairy, imo, but I didn't want to change your team so much just to deal with one threat. Let me know what you think.

Yeah I think I like the Banded set the most of the suggestions, mainly because I want Talonflame to have an immediate threatening presence much like how Greninja currently has. You mentioned Fairy-types, if you had to pick one, which would you? And who would you cut for one? The trend I've noticed amongst all the other Gallade teams out there is that there is always a struggle to find a way to deal with either Mega Sableye or Fairies, and so they usually have to sacrifice 1 counter measure for another. I can't tell you how many debates I've seen between Jirachi and Clefable on the Mega Gallade RMTs I've read.

It's a bit of a stretch, but you could keep your existing team with Greninja and instead replace Latios with Choice Band Azumarill. With that change, you keep a Keldeo check but lose out on a defogger. I know you wanted a defogger for each of your teams, but luckily, none of your pokes is weak to SR in the first place, so you can take that gamble. With Choice Band Zuzu, you easily OHKO Mega Sableye and 2HKO any physically defensive fairy. There's also decent synergy here since Mega Gallade takes on the pesky poison types that Azumarill hates such as Amoongus and Mega Venusaur, and if you're not running Superpower on Zuzu, Ferrothorn.

So that's one option:

Code:
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off/Superpower/Facade
- Waterfall
Speed Ev's to outspeed minimum investment Skarm, who you can 2HKO with some prior damage.

You do risk getting burned if you do a blind switch in, so you can always opt for a "safer" fairy. The best options in my opinion are Unaware Calm Mind Clefable, who beats Mega Sableye and Magic Guard Clefable, Magic Guard Stored Power Clefable, who beats Mega Sableye and other Magic Guard Clefable, or Choice Specs Sylveon, who OHKO's/2HKO's Sabes and all other fairies that are not full specially defensive Sylveon.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Sylveon: 217-256 (55 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (That's pretty insane)

Or you could try playing around with Togekiss as a substitute for Latios. Kiss can defog if you want it to, while being a fairy that has access to Nasty Plot, reliable recovery, and innate special bulk to screw over Mega Sableye and super hax games that can take on Clefable. I've never experimented Kiss in this meta, but perhaps you could give it a spin? You could even tailor it to be physically defensive as a Mega Lopp Check.

Something like:
Code:
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot/Heal Bell
- Defog/Nasty Plot/Dazzling Gleam/Baton Pass
Togekiss is pretty versatile, so you could mix and match EV spreads to fit your team.

Finally, you could try Tentacruel in place of Latios as well, giving you a spinner to get rid of hazards. With Acid Spray, Tentacruel admirably checks Mega Sableye, while full out countering Fairies. You also retain your Keldeo Check when replacing Latios as well as gaining an additional Greninja Check (you can switch between Ferrothorn and Tentacruel to scout either for HP Fire or Extrasensory).

Code:
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Knock Off
Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
I agree that it's a bit of a stretch, but I appreciate the ideas. No Defogger is probably a deal-breaker for me, because I'm terrified of the chance that my opponent carries Sticky Web, albeit Bisharp has a field day with it, Gallade and Greninja certainly wouldn't. Also being able to Defog screens away is also another convenience that comes up less often, but really comes in handy when it does. Really the only slot I think is up on the air is the Greninja slot, which could be either Talonflame or Clefable I think.

Pent

dumb broad
I agree that it's a bit of a stretch, but I appreciate the ideas. No Defogger is probably a deal-breaker for me, because I'm terrified of the chance that my opponent carries Sticky Web, albeit Bisharp has a field day with it, Gallade and Greninja certainly wouldn't. Also being able to Defog screens away is also another convenience that comes up less often, but really comes in handy when it does. Really the only slot I think is up on the air is the Greninja slot, which could be either Talonflame or Clefable I think.
But if you have a spinner, you don't get rid of the hazards you set up. So maybe think Tentacruel/Excadrill/Starmie. Those are the most popular spinners, and I actually prefer them over a defogger. If you need a set, let me know, and I'll try to get back to you about that.

Yeah so i think I've decided on what changes I want to make, after doing some testing. I want to first swap the EVs on Ferrothorn to the standard 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD spread. I've noticed the extra physical bulk has really allowed Ferrothorn to eat more Earthquakes and other physical hits really well. I also decided to swap Leftovers for Shed Shell on Ferrothorn, because in the current metagame, Magnezone is a menace that is everywhere. I will miss the recovery, but I will not miss having to sacrifice Ferrothorn every time I'm up against a Magnezone. Next, I've decided that my 6th slot will be Clefable in the place of Greninja, as my Special Sweeper, and my Mega Sableye counter, which I desperately need. In addition, it also serves as a tank for fighting type attacks, which wreak havoc on my Bisharp and Ferrothorn, which my physical wall, Rotom, does not take too well either due to sheer lack of a large HP pool. This is the set I've decided to try out for Clefable:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Another niche that Clefable fills is as my Will-O-Wisp fodder, which my team lacks without a Fire-type, thus further reinforcing it's role as a Mega Sableye counter. Let me know what you guys think.

Hi Kerthorok/everyone,

Is this team still allowed??? I read somewhere that clefable cant have softboiled... Is it a good option to swap moonlight In here or is the 5pp constricting?

This is my first competetive team to ever make and holy hell its been a learning curve.

Regarding the latios, how do you get him without having to start the game again? Are there sites where people offer you trades for other highly sought after pkmn? I left it far too late to decide I was gonna make a team and Ive already caught a crappy IV latios so.... Any tips? I think I'll have to replace this guy if you could recommend a replacement...

Lastly, do you have a youtube acc or something I could follow your progress on? I like your counter- logic/meta approach to designing your team, and would appreciate an opportunity to learn more from you.

Thats the last of the buttlicking promise

Thanks in advance

Hello there. I didn't know people were still reading this post. But I'd be happy to help you out. Anyway, Soft-Boiled is completely legal on Clefable is Clefable does not have its hidden ability. That means it's only illegal to have Soft-Boiled and Unaware on Clefable. But there is no problem if you have Magic Guard Clefable. I actually just pokegen the pokes I need for my live game team. So I don't bother trying to breed them, because a lot of the pokes I use either can't be bred or they have moves that they can only learn in previous generations. So if you needed a poke or two to be made, I'd be happy to trade them to you. So PM me if you want to trade friend codes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)