ORAS OU First RMT, Second Team, Looking for Advice

Introduction

Hey everyone! Welcome to my first RMT! I am Lazarus, a guy just starting to get into Pokemon, playing X, OR, and now Pokemon Showdown! This team has done pretty well. I'm winning more than I'm losing but I can tell there are some things that aren't quite right. Hopefully you guys can turn this team into a real powerhouse!

The Team

Phoenix (Talonflame) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge
- Steel Wing

So when I decided to build a team I wanted to build it around this beast right here. It's a classic Choice Band set. I usually lead with this guy just for scouting with U-Turn. Other than that, this is my revenge-killer. After the rest of my team whittles down the enemy to 3-4 mons, I bring out this guy, lock it into a +1 priority Brave Bird sweep from Gale Wings.

Shock Dog (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is (obviously) the Mega on this team, and is such a great mon to create a nice Volt-Turn combo with Landorus-T. It's also a very classic set, I got the spread from the Smogon Dex so nothing special here. Flamethrower provides good coverage against the likes of Ferrothorn and Klefki who try to switch in on me. HP Ice also gives really nice coverage against the plethora of Garcomp and Landorus-T.

Starface (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

This is one of the Pokes on this team that I'm not quite sure about. I have to have a spinner in order to use Talonflame, that's just a given. I think I chose Starmie because it packs quite a punch with STAB on Scald and Psyshock. I could use some help with this mon because I'm not sure if there's something better I could use. This one needs some direction.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Part two of my VoltTurn combo and is honestly essential on this team with Manectric-M, Heatran, and Bisharp, Talonflame, and Starmie. I switch it in on incoming Ground- and Electric-type attacks. It also gets up Stealth Rocks to provide necessary entry hazards. Stone Edge and Earthquake both for coverage and some offense. Not much else to say here except this guy is just perfect.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Roar

I'm also not too sure about Heatran. He's a great Special wall, easily taking Draco-Meteors and various Fairy-type attacks. Nice to switch into Fire-type attacks that may be trying to Will-o-Wisp or otherwise burn Bisharp. The problem with this mon is he makes my weaknesses (Fighting, Ground, and Water) worse, so I'm wondering if something else would be better.

Zed (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp is one of my favorite Pokes and rounds out this team nicely. I needed set-up Physical sweeper. I thought about Gyarados, but that makes my Electric weakness worse. I thought about Dragonite, but then Ice and Fairy become more of a problem, so I decided on Bisharp, as I can switch into Landorus-T or Starmie if I think a Fighting-type attack is incoming. This is a great mon and I would love to keep it on this team, but I know it's a huge liability as well.

Conclusion

Not much else to say here, except that this is a really good team when I'm playing with it. Obviously I'm not playing against the best of the best on the ladder as I'm really new, but this team does good things for me. I'm looking forward to hearing about improvements I can make, and I really appreciate all advice you guys might have for me.

- Lazarus

Ehy :)

Really nice offensive, the team is relatively solid but I think that are things to improve: the first weakness of this team are Water Type in general, specifically Rotom-W: Rotom-W can spam Wow really easily, you don't have really mode to stop it your only mode to kill it is with Manectric but it really hate the burn. Manaphy is another weakness because can Setup against many pokemon like Starmie and can Spam Scald really Easily your only mode to stop it is with Manectric or Talonflame, but Talonflame revegekill it only after some damage. Another weakness is Stall Based team, because you haven't a really Stallbreaker in this team, Kyurem is another weakness, you haven't a swich-in, Heatran is hitted with EarthPower and don't outspeed or kill it. Manectric can't swich in and don't kill it with the Stab Moves idem Talonflame. The only mode to play against it is with AV Bisharp, but can't outspeed it. Another weakness are Fast Electric Type like Manectric / Raikou that are really annoying for this team, the only mode to play against it is with Heatran but take off momentum with Volt Switch. The last weakness for this team is SD Bisharp: you have two intimidate user and 0 switch in against it the only mode to win against it is with Heatran or Talonflame if it haven't Setup.

Choice Band Talonflame isn't a good set in OU, because Pokemon like Tank Garchomp, that is many used actually is a very problem for it: Band Talonflame can struggle to deal much damage without killing itself very quickly with recoil. I think that Bulk Up + Will-O-Wisp Talonflame is really good set for this team. It can lure in and burn Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Tyranitar and Landorus, which can be great support for Mega Manectric. Talonflame also can use Bulk Up to sweep and will break down Grass-types like Celebi and Amoongus which again supports Mega Manectric. Also Bulk Up Talonflame allows against Sablaye that is really annoying for this team. No item gives you a switch-in for Bisharp that is annoying for this team Also I think that Sword Dance + Yache Berry Landorus is really good for this build, because pressure more defensive switchins such as Clefable, Hippowdon that are the main check to Manectric in many team. Also yyou have a problem against Fast Electric type: Yache Berry can allow Landorus to take a hit from opposing Mega Manectric and Raikou very well. Also Heatran is useless for this team, because you have Talonflame that check Grass pokemon like Serperior and Landorus that check Charizard X, for this reason my suggest is to try Serperior>Heatran: Serperior gives you a really good Win-con also allow you against Water Type like Azumarill, Rotom and Manaphy that are annoying for this team Taunt isn't a bad option because allows you to check Defensive pokemon and improving your matchup against Stall Team, also break Clefable (with Leaft Storm + Taunt) Knock Off isn't bad idea because take off the eviolite on Chansey. Also this team is really weak to Kyurem, my suggest to improve this weakness is try Tyranitar > Bisharp Tyranitar is really good pokemon for this team, trap psychic pokemon like latias/tios and hit Chansey (That is annoying for this team because stop the Manectric and Serperior Sweep) with Superpower. Choice Band isn't a bad option because pressure Defensive Moon like Sablaye that are a big threat for this team. Also gives you a check for Weavile that is annoying: Scarf isn't bad because help you against Bisharp that is annoying, but lost many power.

The Team isn't perfect and have some Weakness: The first problem is Diancie, you haven't a Swich In against it, but you have many mode to revegekill it (Serperior, Mie, Landorus full life) but is annoying. Bisharp is another weakness for this team because you have two intimidate user, Talonflame check it but it I s really annoying after Stealth Rock, you can try Scarf Tyra to improve the matchup against it. Weavile is annoying if has Low Kick, because Kill Tyranitar that check it really well.
Set Complete:
Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain

Landorus-Therian @ yache Berry
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- sword Dance
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Or

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Hope help you :)

Last edited:
Ehy :)

Really nice offensive, the team is relatively solid but I think that are things to improve: the first weakness of this team are Water Type in general, specifically Rotom-W: Rotom-W can spam Wow really easily, you don't have really mode to stop it your only mode to kill it is with Manectric, but it really hate the burn. Manaphy is another weakness because can Setup against many pokemon like Starmie and can Spam Scald really Easily your only mode to stop it is with Manectric. Another weakness is Stall Based team, because you haven't a really Stallbreaker in this team, Kyurem is another weakness, you haven't a swich-in, Heatran is hitted with EarthPower and don't outspeed or kill it. Manectric can't swich in and don't kill it with the Stab Moves idem Talonflame. The only mode to play against it is with AV Bisharp, but can't outspeed it. Another weakness are Fast Electric Type like Manectric / Raikou that are really annoying for this team, the only mode to play against it is with Heatran but take off momentum with Volt Switch. The last weakness for this team is SD Bisharp: you have two intimidate user and 0 switch in against it the only mode to win against it is with Heatran or Talonflame if it haven't Setup.

Choice Band Talonflame isn't a good set in OU, because Pokemon like Tank Garchomp, that is many used actually is a very proem fir it: Band Talonflame can struggle to deal much damage without killing itself very quickly with recoil. I think that Bulk Up + Will-O-Wisp Talonflame is really good set for this team. It can lure in and burn Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Tyranitar and Landorus, which can be great support for Mega Manectric. Talonflame also can use Bulk Up to sweep and will break down Grass-types like Celebi and Amoongus which again supports Mega Manectric. Also Bulk Up Talonflame allows against Sablaye that is really annoying for this team. No item gives you a switch-in for Bisharp that is annoying for this team Also I think that Sword Dance + Yache Berry Landorus is really good for this build, because pressure more defensive switchins such as Clefable, Hippowdon that are the main check to Manectric in many team. Also yyou have a problem against Fast Electric type: Yache Berry can allow Landorus to take a hit from opposing Mega Manectric and Raikou very well. Also Heatran is useless for this team, because you have Talonflame that check Grass pokemon like Serperior and Landorus that check Charizard X, for this reason my suggest is to try Serperior>Heatran: Serperior gives you a really good Win-con also allow you against Water Type like Azumarill, Rotom and Manaphy that are annoying for this team. Also this team is really weak to Kyurem, my suggest to improve this weakness is try Tyranitar > Bisharp Tyranitar is really good pokemon for this team, trap psychic pokemon like latias/tios and hit Chansey (That is annoying for this team because stop the Manectric and Serperior Sweep) with Superpower. Choice Band isn't a bad option because pressure Defensive Moon like Sablaye that are a big threat for this team.
Set Complete:
Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain

Landorus-Therian @ yache Berry
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- sword Dance
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Or

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Hope help you :)
Thank you so much for your compliments and help! Those are definitely some great ideas! However I do have a question: how will I deal with Fairy types without Bisharp? I love the idea of switching out Heatran for Serperior, but if I don't use Tyranitar then I have a big Fire weakness. Also I'm not sure if Sand Stream is very good on my team as nothing on it will utilize the sand very well. What are your thoughts? Thank you very much for your help though!

Boh Talonflame check Fairy Pokemon ( exept Diancie) Sand Stream is important to improve the SpD of Tyranitar and helps you to check Zard Y because takes off the Sun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)