1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First RMT :)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by OmgGmo, Mar 16, 2013.

1. OmgGmo

OmgGmo

Introduction: Hi I am Gmo or OmgGmo you might see either name, and this is my first RMT and I am selecting one of my more successful teams up for suggestions as to how it can be improved. The goal for this team is to allow the player to get the switch initiative, and each pokemon covers a certain situation and can be easily switched to. Thus swinging the momentum in your favor. Remember to analyze your opposing team as you may have to start off differently depending what pokemon your up against. Also analyzing your opponent may tell you who your better of to start the match with. Though this team rely's on the switch initiative which is why it contains two pokemon who can set up hazards. Anything in green is what has changed in the team.

[​IMG]

Jirachi (-)
    @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Nature: Rash
    EVs: 152 Atk/ 204 SpA/ 152 Spe
    Fire Punch / Iron Head / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice

Description: Jirachi’s role in this team is to allow the player to have good coverage and play mental games with your opponet. By being the starter in most matches it allows you to get predictions off as it is a mixed attacker though if it is to dangerous for Jirachi you can always switch out. With this move set you are able to deal some damage right off the bat and can lead your opponent to believe you are choiced which can set you in a position to take out some threats. Since Jirachi has many builds your opponent is more likely going to try and scout out what build you are carrying. Use this fact to try and fake out your opponent and make good predictions to take out some threats.

[​IMG]

Landorus Therian (M)
    @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 200 Hp/ 64 Atk/ 244 Def
    Stealth Rock / Earthquake / U-Turn / Stone Edge

Description: Landorus-T role is to be the offensive pivot. Allowing for safe switch ins. As this set allows you to face Terrakion head on, and to switch in on many physical attackers. This can allow you to set up either a stealth rock for chip damage over time or use u-turn to keep the momentum when there is an obvious switch out from the opponent or you can play it safe and do some solid damage. It is preferred to set up stealth rock because this team revolves around having the switch initiative.

[​IMG]

Rotom-Wash (R)
    @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 Hp/ 28 SpA/ 232 SpD
    Volt-Switch / Hydro Pump / Rain Dance / Hidden Power Fire

Description: Rotom-W role in this team is to compliment Landorus-T the teams offensive pivot, to do so Rotom-W was made to be specially defensive. This enable some good typing and takes care of the Volcarona threat. Volt Switch is used to keep your opponent on their toes as you can get a safe switch and keep the momentum in your favor, Though if the opposing team has a ground type and you can predict the switch in you have hydro pump to do solid damage as it is stabbed. Rain dance is used mainly against sun teams which do pose a threat to the team but with Rotom-W that threat can be handled with the right call making. One other reason is that rain dance will boost Rotom-W's stab hydro pump. Last you have Hidden Power Fire which is used to enhance Rotom-W coverage.

[​IMG]

Ferrothorn (R)
    @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 Hp/ 88 Def/ 168 Spd
    Leech Seed / Bulldoze /Protect / Gyro Ball

Description: This is your standard mixed wall here, but with a twist. Ferrothorn is mainly to scout out what move your opponent may have when unsure. If you know an obvious switch in is coming you may leech seed and stall. Also the combination of iron barbs and rocky helmet are used to chink damage into users who like to use u-turn or use attacks that make contact. The twist to the standard build comes that Ferrothorn is used best when you can predict correctly. Since you can not set up much without stealth rock or spikes you are allowed to use bulldoze or gyro ball when you predict things like Heatran, Jirachi, or Magnezone (those are for bulldoze) and for gyro ball you can use when you know a fast pokemon will be brought into the mix. No attack evs are use due to the fact you want to use rocky helmet and iron barbs to its fullest.

[​IMG]

Celebi (-)
    @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 Hp/ 220 Spd/ 36 Spe
    Psychic / Recover / Giga Drain / Thunder Wave

Description: Celebi is given many roles on this team, it can play the special wall and take on many status such as burn, sleep, etc. due to natural cure. Also it is the trouble maker on the team as it can cripple several speedy/scarfed pokemon with thunder wave and minimizing their potential damage. On top of those roles Celebi may stall to allow sandstorm to do its work. You also have the option to do nip damages to the opponent because of the stab on psychic and giga drain.

[​IMG]

Alakazam (R)
    @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Hp/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Psyshock / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice

Description: Alakazam is used as the main special attacker of the team and possibly can be a sweeper when its threats are gone. With his great move pool Alakazam is able to cover many types, and do damage thanks to the combination of its high base Spa, life orb and its amazing speed. Alakazam may start the match if you notice you can bait your opponent to switch into Alakazams "threats" only to be struck hard or led to a trap because you switch as well.

Team’s Weaknesses: One major threat is Volcarona as once a quiver dance is used and no stealth rock damage has been done it is free to wreck havoc among this team. I am not too sure as to what other major threats are but please point them out and how to deal with such threats. I am looking for a replacement to Celebi particularly one who is either good to be scarfed.
  2. MjoeS

MjoeS

This team is constructed well. It covers a lot but I need to know which pokemons you to keep and base it off that. Your team may have problems with hazards like Stealth Rock and Spikes. Maybe consider some rapid spinners on your team.
  3. Governess

Governess A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I like this team; it's good, not overly generic, and as Joe said, it covers a lot. Let's try to fix a few things on your team.

-Replace Alakazam with Choice Specs Heatran. You mentioned that Volcarona is giving grief to your team; Heatran can fix that. Not only can it force a switch out, it also has good synergy with Celebi, as Celebi can handle Pokemon like Tyranitar, Terrakion (can check Celebi with X-Scissors, however.) and Gyarados, and in return, Heatran can help Celebi against Pokemon like Volcarona, Kyurem-B, and Skarmory. Pair that off with great offensive/defense stat balance, and more defenses, Heatran makes a great ally to your team. Here is the set I recommend:

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Choice Spec
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Nature: Modest / Timid
    EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Grass

This set is an excellent wallbreaker; crushing other teams with its overwhelming strength from Choice Specs. Modest if you wish to enhance your power, though Timid let's you outspeed Pokemon like Gliscor, though, he isn't that much of a threat on your team, so Modest is recommended. Fire Blast as STAB move, the rest as great coverage moves against your opponent.

That's all I have for your team for now. It's a great team, btw, good job with building it! =)
  4. Adtherens

Adtherens

One thing I see is that your tean is extremely weak to Scizor.

A common choice banded set can destroy everything but your Landorus.
  5. spooky96

spooky96

Did you know that Jirachi existed in this team? Its Scarf with Fire Punch, plus a locked Scizor on any of its move such as Super Power or Bullet Punch, the next switch in on TC's Pokemon can easily wall that Scizor.

And by the way, great team TC, I like it.
  6. Reymedy

Reymedy They live and die by my command.
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Hello, for a first RMT, this is a nice try !
    I'll try to make this RMT, hopefully, even better, because I can see some weakpoints. It shouldn't be too hard to fix as you're using a classic team pattern.

Well, here I go for the weaknesses :

- As someone said, Volcarona will tear you apart, period. You have NO WAY to beat it, nor contain it at +1. The worse, you give Volcarona many set-up possibilities, which is the issue in my opinion.

- Mamoswine, honnestly, will also almost take the whole team on his own. Alakazam gets crippled by Ice Shard, Ttar gets OHKO'd, Landorus-T aswell, Ferrothorn gets badly dented by a LO Superpower, Celebi gets killed by LO Icycle Crash/Spear and finally Jirachi can't switch in safely. Same goes for Weavile, but well, no one cares about him anyway.

- Keldeo is an issue. Why ? Because your Celebi will get trapped by Ttar (you have no BatonPass) or killed by HP Bug. The rest of your team being killed (Jirachi can't touch Keldeo) and Alakazam, if Keldeo isn't Scarf, will only have "one shot", can't switch in, and gets Pursuited too. Oh well, if you face a Weavile/Keldeo core, it's bad news.

Let's say "that's it" since those weaknesses are already serious business.
    Someone before advised SpecsHeatran over Alakazam. I don't really agree because this won't sadly fix anything, it will probably make the team "worse". I explain, to me the blatant weakling is your Celebi|Ferrothorn duo. It is important in a balanced team like to try to have a good typing synergy. Moreover, you LACK BADLY a good win condition. By removing Alakazam you kill a potent sweep for a less viable one. But I know it is always tempting to put Heatran where there is a Volcarona issue, sadly it won't fix Mamoswine, Keldeo 's issues, so I won't consider it.

So yea, here are my changes :

- First, you don't get 2 SR setters in a team, it's a waste of a moveslot/teamslot. I think Landorus-T is a good member of the team and an useful one for the synergy (Bug resist..). However, it is probably why you don't have enough win condition, you chose an Offensive Pivot set, while you already gave SR to Ttar.

Considering what I said before, and this "SR issue" I will offer you two possible changes. You have to choose ONE of them :

Offensive path : Get Keldeo over Ferrothorn, and switch Ttar to a CB Version. This way, you fix many weaknesses, leaving one to the obnoxious Giga Drain Volcarona. I think that's not so big of a deal, and, by playing around it, you should be "ok". But care ! I'll try to give you a "last resort" solution for this case.

Defensive Path : Get Rotom-W over Ferrothorn, and switch Landorus-T to a double dance set (or to Landorus *cough*). This way, you "almost" fix the Mamoswine/Keldeo weakness. This change is probably less good, but it seems to fit better your playstyle if I like at the team. I called it "defensive" but it was just to be cool, you can go offensive with your Rotom-W.

You could definitely mix up together those changes, like getting Keldeo, changing Landorus-T to a double dance set (or to Landorus *cough*) etc.
    Just make sure that SR stays on one of your mates.

Moving on to smaller changes :

- You Celebi set is in my opinion, bad, considering the role that Celebi has to play, she can't be trapped, never. So switch Psychic to Baton Pass, it's a safer choice.

- I explained EVs stuff and all, but since my internet ruined me by deleting my previous EDIT, I'm lazy and I'll just say, get Healing Wish over Fire Punch on your ScarfAchi. It's better to healing one of your member to deal with Scizor than having this "panic button" that isn't so useful.

THE SETS :

Show Hide
    Jirachi : Try a 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe Adamant spread, just to outspeed Adamat Haxorus at +1, who knows.

Tyranitar : The CB set is on site, shouldn't be hard to find.

Landorus-T : Those EVs in Atk are worthless, this investment is made to work with an Adamant Nature, toss it in HP (to hit 248) and the rest in Defense.

For the Double Dance set, the spread is 200 HP / 128 Atk / 180 Spe with an Adamant nature, Leftovers, RP/SD/StoneEdge/EQ.

Rotom-W : You can go for the SpD Version on site.. Or try a Physically defensive version, in my opinion it could work (same EVs with Def instead of SpD, or something like that). You could go for a more offensive version, be my guess !

Keldeo : You can go for a Sub/CM version, a CM+3 Atks, Specs etc... I'd go for an Expert Belt set, classic EVs, with HP Bug / IcyWind / HPump / SecretSword. Straight forward, simple to use etc.

Okay, I hope I helped, I'm sorry for the formatting, in fact I wrote it all, then my Internet/Chrome/PC/Whatever mysteriously ruined my rate, sorry for that.
    Good luck with your team !

EDIT : Get Focus Sash on Alakazam, it could save your ass against Scarf stuff like Keldeo, Volcarona etc, and it's a nasty combo with Healing Wish reactivating the Sash !

TL;DR :

Show Hide
    celebi : get baton pass
    keldeo/rotom-w over ferrothorn
    doubledance landorus-t/cb ttar
    or a mix of those
    change spreads, and healing wish over fire punch on scizor
  7. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

I'll give a short rate now and get into more detail when I have more time.

Your team has two Stealth Rock setters. I advise that you stick to ony one, and replace Stealth Rock on Ttar for Roar. Roar allows you to shuffle the opponent's Pokemon around and prevent sweepers from setting up. I also suggest replacing Pursuit with Ice Beam. Ice Beam solves your team's problems with Dugtrio+Sun teams, and with Roar, you can force out the opponent's initial switch-in to Ttar, reducing the need for Pursuit. In a similar vein, you should run slightly more SpAtt EVs in your Ttar, but I will add on this when I have more time.

Give Ferrothorn 0 Speed IVs to power up Gyro Ball, and replace Protect with Spikes. This limits the switching powers of grounded threats and weaken opposing moms significantly.

I don't see the point of Celebi on this team since it adds to your sun weakness, and can't counter Ttar+Keldeo core. Thus I suggest switching it for Jellicent. Jellicent checks Keldeo well and counters Volcarona pretty well, which otherwise screws up your team. It also acts as a nice sponge to physical attackers.

Sorry if my rate is too brief. I'll add the sets and specifics later on
  8. OmgGmo

OmgGmo

I have been testing many of the options suggested by those who have come up with ways to better this team. I have chosen Rotom-W (Recommendation by Remedy and thanks) as it helps deal with Volcarona and gives more synergy to this team. As many of you have stated there is no need for to SR on a team and that was noted (great advice thank you all). I have also set Ferrothorns IVs to 0 for its speed (thanks for the tip scorpdestroyer) With Rotom-W now in the mix and Jirachi being a mixed attacker I ask if Celebi is best for the team as a special attacker or am I better off replacing it with something that is scarfed. I am open to other options as well.
  9. ItzJon

ItzJon

why does jirachi have a rash nature and spec attack evs with no special attacks?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)