First RU Team

Ok so this is the first team I tried to build in the RU tier. I initially wanted to base this team around Golbat because I just think Golbat is a sweet poke and I wanted so see if I could make him fit into a team. I've never made a team however and I'm running into some constant problems which I can't seem to fix.

Golbat @ Eviolite
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic/Whirlwind

So this was the starting point. With Eviolite and the given spread he's got some good physical bulk and is there to take the common grass, bug and fighting moves in RU. Taunt is there as it works well with Golbat's decent speed which even uninvested is better than most walls or support pokemon. For example Golbat destroys Tangrowth in general as well since I can taunt the Sleep Powder/Leech Seed. I'm not too sure what to do in the last move slot, I had whirlwind for phazing but toxic has also worked.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Toxic (previously TWave)
- Psyshock

The beast mix-wall of RU Slowking. Has some decent defensive synergy with Golbat. Slowking can take Psychic attacks and Golbat can take Grass and Bug attacks. Unfortunately a common electric weakness which has been bugging me. One solution I thought of was to replace Slowking with Lanturn which removes my electric weakness in place of an immunity and also gives me potential cleric access, however the lack of healing on Lanturn bugs me. Anways Slowking does what Slowking does; walls and checks the better portion of RU. Toxic is on instead of TWave to wear down walls

Clefable @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind (previously TWave)

Similarly to Golbat, Clefable is just a poke I think is really cool with Magic GUard and whatnot so I wanted to fit it into the team. Wish support is nice and Calm Mind is there to more easily take on Special Attackers and to give Ice Beam some more oomph as Clefable has multiple opportunites to set up. I chose Ice beam for mono attack as this allows Clefable to take on Nidoqueen better(which seem to be on every other team in this tier). Clefable also helps to take the special attacks that Slowking can't and normal type is actually useful here for the lack of weaknesses

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 126 SDef
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt (Considering Shadow Ball here specifically for Rotom)
- Stealth Rock

I replaced Sandslash with Bulky Nidoqueen. I find this is working fairly well as Nidoqueen is surprisingly bulky with a defensive spread and still packs some decent power. Plus I find it's a lot easier to get rocks up as opponents are afraid of max power Nidoqueen. Even without investment though, with life orb and sheer force it still packs quite a punch. This was mainly in an effort to counter the fast electric types that were giving me trouble, especially rotom who (scarfed, modest) only has a chance to 3HKO. This seems to working fairly well and has slotted into the team nicely, but if there's anything here I've overlooked please tell me.

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 232 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

The first of my two offensive pokes. Modest Expert Belt provides great power without getting worn down by life orb. I run modest over timid for the extra power as Magmortar is pretty slow for an offensive poke anyway and I try to rely on having either paralysed or taken out faster threats. Magmortar is just such a dangerous poke in this tier as I find as long as no one outspeeds it he can do some work. I can handle Slowking with decent prediction normally, it get's 2HKO'd by Thunderbolt

Gallade (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Serious Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak/Leaf Blade

Bringing up the rear is Gallade, the physical side of my offence. I run Lum berry to block status and I find it can often give me a free turn of setup as they try to go for the Burn or TWave. I run a bulkier spread as Gallade also isn't very fast and relies on TWave support. I'm torn over the last moveslot as Priority is always good, particularly on a slower poke like Gallade, and it also allows Gallade to sort of Revenge really weak or frail pokes mid game however I also like the Leaf Blade for hitting Slowking and Spiritomb. I find no matter which one I run I always seem to end up wanting the other.

So that about sums it up. It's a fairly defensive team designed to weaken/paralyse opposing checks then get Gallade or Magmortar in for the sweep. I know I have some serious problems though and I don't really care for Sandslash in general. For example I seem to have nothing to handle Cincino as I've been swept by it twice now and it's so irritating to get swept by a tiny mouse thingy. I'd really like to keep Golbat no matter (set changes welcome though) but other than that I'm welcoming any advice to help patch up the holes as best as possible.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Hey there! I'm on my phone so this is a short rate. Since Magmortar is pretty slow and is weak to SR I'd advise trying Nidoqeen instead. That would be yet another SR resist and has excellent bulk to pair with powerful LO and Sheer Force boosted moves that have great coverage. Also, right now, your Sandslash gets wrecked by a common spin blocker of the tier, Rotom. I'd test out Stone Edge or Night Slash instead of Counter to beat Rotom. I haven't used Counter, so I don't know how effective it'll be. However, you can test out either of the moves I proposed in a slot and adjust as you feel. Hope I helped and good luck.

Instead of Sandslash, why don't you try Piloswine as your SR user? Has great bulk with Eviolite and does a decent amount of damage too. Plus, it has priority with Ice Shard.

Piloswine
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Movesets:
Ice Shard
Icicle Spear
Earthquake
Stealth Rock

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't want to replace Magmortar with Nidoqueen exactly as I see Magmortar as essentially a faster Nidoqueen as they have similar special power and both have good coverage. I tried out Piloswine and it didn't really work for me, it never seemed to serve a specific purpose and didn't work well on the team. That being said I decided to put Nidoqueen in, in the place of Sandslash. Bulky Nidoqueen with Earth Power, Fire Blast, Thunder Bolt, Stealth Rock.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 126 SDef
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt (Considering Shadow Ball here specifically for Rotom)
- Stealth Rock

(0 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rotom: (78.51 - 93.38%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

I find this is working fairly well as Nidoqueen is surprisingly bulky with a defensive spread and still packs some decent power. Plus I find it's a lot easier to get rocks up as opponents are afraid of max power Nidoqueen. Even without investment though, with life orb and sheer force it still packs quite a punch. This was mainly in an effort to counter the fast electric types that were giving me trouble, especially rotom who (scarfed, modest) only has a chance to 3HKO. This seems to working fairly well and has slotted into the team nicely, but if there's anything here I've overlooked please tell me.

I've also removed TWave from Slowking in place of toxic, as I found it just more useful against pokes that Slowking couldn't wear down with just paralysis. Additionally I removed TWave from Clefable as well for Calm Mind, as I found that I was never ever using it on Clefable as the things I could paralyse I was better of setting up on and eve with just ice beam Clefable has decent coverage. This is forcing me to rethink my team a bit as I no longer have paralysis support for my slower offensive sweepers.

I'm still having some problems with pokes like cinccino though and I think I need to find a way to slot a ghost on to my team. I also think I might need a scarfer in general to handle faster frailer pokes that seem to be giving me trouble. Considering this scarf rotom seems to stand out, but I don't know where it could fit in or if it's necessary. Thoughts on that?

If Cinccino is giving you problems, then Klinklang can help you out. He resists all of Cinccino's moves and once he sets up Gear Shift he out speeds him, taking care of the King's Rock holders. I suggest replacing Clefable with him, as I think your team can live without the Wish support.

Klinklang
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 100 HP/252 Atk/156 Spe
Movesets:
-Gear Shift
-Gear Grind
-Substitute/Wild Charge
-Return/Wild Charge

Interesting suggestion with KlingKlang. I'll definitely look into that as it does seem to wall Cinccino to kingdom come and it does easily get to set up, but without Clefable I'm very vulnerable to a lot of special threats that are able to get past Slowking. I'm thinking that maybe I replace Gallade instead as my new physical sweeper as Gallade just doesn't seem to be doing much for me lately. It always seems just a bit too slow especially since I got rid of TWave on my support pokes. I'll give Klingklang a shot, cheers for the suggestion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)