XY OU First Team Built, Rate it Please + advice?

Hello friends, so i'm new to competitive, I've been playing for about a seven months now. This is the first team I've built and been happy with. However, I know its not even close to perfect. While I think i'm getting better at the battling aspect, I still struggle with building competent teams. I usually get stuck while laddering not always because of a skill difference, but because my team gets walled or has a bad match up.

I usually get stuck around here (OU)

rank80%.png

I realize my thought process for putting together teams might not be the best and may even be entirely wrong for competitive team building, but like I said i'm new and these are my methods. I'm hoping to learn more as time goes on.

Anyway this is my team, Thanks for any help :]

I guess the basic strategy I use with this team is to where down my opponent's team and then use priority plus late game sweepers to finish the game.

282-mega.gif

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Taunt

Mega Gardevoir was the last mon added to my team. I was having trouble with Heatran walling my team, as my only other counters were Azumarill (Whom could get burned, and become useless.) or Dragonite (Whom I mainly use as a late game sweeper, and could also be burned.). Gardevoirs trace gave me a way to deal with Heatran at least to some extent because I could switch to a lava plume, and answer back with HP ground. Psyshock and taunt also gave me a way to deal with blissey and mega Venusaur, the former being a real pain to the basic strategy of my team. I also felt like my team suffered from a lack of speed and power, as well as being a little weak on the special defensive side, and Gardevoir seemed to help all of these roles.

149.gif

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Dragonite is on my team for a late game sweep, or to finish off the other teams whittled down mons. The reason Dragonite is on this team is because of power and his ability to tank a hit with multiscale. Fire punch helps to deal with Ferrothorn, which can kinda stall my team, and outrage plus extreme speed nukes just about everything late game. Earthquake is added to deal with Heatran, Excadrill, and Tyranitar if nothing else on my team can.

212.gif

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Choice banded Scizor was added because I again felt that my team lacked necessary power. Scizor helps my over all strategy of wearing down the opponent's team with its huge attack and access to knock off. I also added Scizor for extra priority and to check fairys, which my team was having a hard time countering with no real special wall. Scizor was also important to my team because it helps to counter Bisharp, which could easily sweep my whole team if I wasn't careful.

036.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell

The main reason Clefable was added to my team was because I kept getting swept by set up mons. After unaware Clefable was added though this problem mostly went away, bar a few set up mons that can OHKO or 2 HKO Clefable without any boosts. Clefable is also my dedicated cleric as half my team becomes almost useless when burned. Calm mind Clefable also walls some bulky mons with lower attacks like talonflame.

151.gif

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Knock Off

Mew is usually my lead and probably the most useful all around. Mew can defog away any hazards as well as burn any physical attackers on the opposing team. With knock off Mew also gains the ability to help the team by knocking off many of the opponent's items because its so bulky. Also because its so bulky it can tank physical as well as special attacks and just roost up afterward. Mew is my main check to almost any physical attacker, and can even tank hits from ones that can hit it super effectively after they are burned. Mew helps to weaken the opposing mons, so my late game sweepers can finish with priority or raw power.

184.gif

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Azumarill's main role on the team is to check many pokemon. With the assault vest Azu can tank both physical and special hits and answer back with a lot of power. Its on my team to counter Landorus-T, Gengar, Charizard, Excadrill, Garchomp and many other pokemon my team has no real answer to.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, and if anyone has any advice about thought process for creating teams, or how to help me become a better player in general, feel free to post or contact me in any way.
Thanks again friends.

Hey, I'm here with a few minor suggestions that should make the team better. First, Unaware Clefable functions better as a Wish passer on balanced teams like the one you have here. Wish + Protect > Moonlight + Calm Mind, with Wish, Clefable can support the team better by periodically replenishing its teammates health. You should also use Focus Blast > HP Ground on Gardevoir. Without Focus Blast other steel types wall Gardevoir. It may have poor accuracy but it adds crucial coverage, and it still 2HKOes Heatran just like Hidden Power Ground does. With a Timid nature M-Gardevoir fails to outspeed anything relevant and it'll just Speed tie with the other 100 base speed Pokemon, so I recommend using a Modest nature on it for a bit of extra power. You could also make Mew specially defensive. Sure it may hinder its ability to take some physical hits but it's still really bulky and with Will-O-Wisp it can easily burn physical attackers and take minor damage. It also needs a bit of speed to outpace Mega-Heracross and burn it. I recommend a 252 HP / 104 SpD / 152 Spe EV spread. It outpaces positive speed base 75 mon's by 1. Since you're having a bit of Ferrothorn trouble consider using Superpower over Knock Off, it 2HKOes the most common set on the switch and even showing Superpower would make your opponent think twice before sending it out. Good Luck with the team.

P.S: Add a bit more reasoning as to why you chose your Pokemon if you want this thread to stay open n_n.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)