XY OU First Team Ever ft. Muk in OU

I have been playing Pokemon for a while now but never actually built a team for myself. After a long time of "Random Battle" and watching people's matches I decided that it's time to make a team of my own and battle with it. I want a team that focuses on defence but could also hit back hard, so basically a bulky offense team was what I was looking for.

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stench Hold
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Brick Break
- Shadow Sneak

My core pokemon is Muk. It's my favourite pokemon and I want to see how it does in OU. I maxed its defense which is already high and also its attack to give it the ability to both defend and attack. The chosen item is Assault Vest which boosts its Special Defense through the roof but comes with the cost of Muk being able to use damaging moves only, which is all good. Muk's ability is Stench Hold, prevents Knock Off from removing Assault Vest. I'm torn between Gunk Shot and Poison Jab for STAB: while Gunk Shot has more power, Poison Jab is more reliable and both have a chance of poisoning foes. Fire Punch is for Steel-type like Ferrothorn, Scizor or Aegislash that are immune to Poison STAB while Brick Break is for Bisharp, Tyranitar and Heatran. Shadow Sneak is there for priority option as Muk's speed is horrendous. Muk has Adamant nature.

Mandibuzz @ Left Over
Ability: Overcoat
EV: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog/Knock Off

To help Muk, I also have Mandibuzz in the team who is immune to all of Muk's weakness. Mandibuzz checks Aegislash, Espeon and Gengar. Foul Play and Brave Bird are the 2 STABs, Roost is for recovery and Defog is to remove hazards. But I feel like nowadays people don't even bother with hazards anymore so I might have Knock Off in place of Defog. I maxed Mandibuzz's Defend and Attack and gave it an Impish nature. Left Over is there to make Mandibuzz last longer.

There are a few pokemons that give these 2 trouble such as Excadrill, Garchorm, Gardevoir, Gliscor, Landorus, Latias, Latios, Mamoswine, Mawile, Medicham, Quagsire, Skarmony, Talonflame, Terrakion and Venusaur and all those that usually carry Earthquake such as Charizard-X or Dragonite.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EV: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch

Breloom is an excellent choice for the team as it takes care of Excadrill, Quagsire and Terrakion. Breloom has Adamant nature with maxed HP and Attack, Technician for ability and Life Orb as its hold item so it can hit as hard as it can. Breloom has Bullet Seed and Drain Punch as its STABs with the latter provides recovery. Mach Punch is too finish off weakened foes and also compensate Breloom's slow speed. Rock Slide was chosen over Stone Edge to hit Talonflame. I'm still not sure about the last option as I already have Rotom-W to kill Talonflame.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EV: 4 Atk / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

I have Greninja taking care of Garchorm, Gliscor, Landorus, Latios/Latias and Venusaur. Greninja runs its standard set with Protean, Hasty nature with maxed Special Attack and Speed, Ice Beam, Scald, Dark Pulse and U-turn. Greninja holds Expert Belt to hit even harder.

Rotom-W @ Left Over
Ability: Levitate
EV: 252 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will O Wisp
- Pain Split

Specially offensive Rotom-W is added to make sure Mamoswine, Talonflame and Terrakion won't cause much trouble for the team. Rotom-W has maxed HP and Special Attack with Modest nature. It has Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Will-o-Wisp and Pain Split. Rotom-W works well with Breloom as they resist each other's weaknesses.

Sylveon @ Left Over
Ability: Pixilate
EV: 252 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

I'm still not too sure about the last member of my team. I kind of want something that provides hazards and supports the team, either that or a late sweeper. There are a few options for either but for now, I have Sylveon as the 6th member. Calm Mind boosts its Special stats and allows it to hit hard with Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball is important as Sylveon will be the only pokemon in this team to be able to check Gardevoir. Heal Bell is there to heal any status condition that the team gets. It holds Left over which provides a mean of recovery. It has Modest nature with maxed HP and Special Attack.

This is the first time I attempt to build a pokemon team so any comment/advice is greatly appreciated.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)