XY OU First team ever

Always been a garchomp fiend. I tried to build a set around him where all my mons just spread paralysis burn or toxic to all the opponents pokes. It works when it needs to. I've been playing for a little over 3 months with just two teams been trying to learn things on my own.

Metal Death (Aggron) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head

This is my lead. Depending on the pokemon that the opponent uses I either set up stealth rock or paralysis. After I set up both I move on to either dragon tailing them out if I know they'll give me trouble and spreading more paralysis or using the good old iron head and paralysis move. It works for the time that aggron stays alive, he isn't for sweeping or to stay past more than half the match but one fainted pokemon and two other weakened paralyzed is a win for me.

Sharknado (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

A very common set with garchomp, never bothered with megachomp just because his outstanding speed was sacrificed for attack, which I barely see as a good trade off. I try not to use him too early for the fact that if I use the wrong move (ie earthquake outrage) it could easily be switched into by a levitate or fairy type. I usually use it for the last stretch when the opponent is either burned poisoned or paralyzed so it can just pick off the rest.

DILF (Nidoking) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

I've always been a nidoking fan, since the time of gen1. I loved him so much and when I only played the story it wrecked everything. I was so happy to see such a vast improvement when it received sheer force with it's huge move pool. It has so much possibilities ice beam takes out a majority of the dragons, sludge wave has done wonders for me in a pinch, earth power is always a perfect move for heatran who would otherwise wreck my ferrothorn. Maximum speed investment helps it's good speed get even better. As garchomp I try to keep him until the end so that speed isn't too big of a problem with paralysis.

Super Tuna (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar
- Scald

My water sponge. With it's high hp I really use wish for aggron if it's beneficial to keep him alive. If a pokemon tries to hit nidoking with scald, waterfall or aqua jet I switch in vaporeon for a nice hp boost. I use scald to try to spread burn into the opponent, particularly the opponents sweepers. Roar is to just keep switching opponents into stealth rock and spikes after ferrothorn. Protect is to scope out the opponents moves and get a wish if I'm just roaring the opponents out.

Cthulhu (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

Another one of my hazard settlers as well as a nightmare for physical attackers. With it's bulk and iron barbs as well as rocky helmet it wrecks through a number of pokes. When the opponents try to poison my vaporeon or garchomp (my only two that can actually get hit with it) I switch this in pretty easily and start setting up leech seed and spikes. It's not perfect but it's done good work of teams.

Batman (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake

My stall. It's speed and defense are ridiculous. Poison heal substitute and protect just ensure a long life. Earthquake helps in a good pinch for other steel and some ice types. Special defense is one thing that really brings him down so an ice beam really puts a stop to his stalling. I try to compensate with vaporeons resistance and good bulk by switching it in. I've had success with it nonetheless.

Very simple and straight forward team. I don't think it's the greatest thing ever. It is my first but hopefully some positive feedback would help with it's holes and weaknesses.

Hey Steffu,

Pretty solid build here, and needs just a few minor tweaks to improve.

1. Heavy Slam > Iron Head on M-Aggron for better damage output, it will help you wear down lighter (and particularly frailer) Pokemon for the rest of your team.

2. 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe for Gliscor - this spread allows for better bulk, and you don't really need 224 Spe EVs (unless you really want to outspend a ton of stuff, but a slower Sub is generally better).

3. You need a Spinner/Hazard control mon bad to prevent losing to spikes. Ideally, it should resist/be neutral to Ice as well. I recommend Tentacruel > Vaporeon if you can bear to give up the wishes - if not, you may need to run Defog support in the form of Mandibuzz, Zapdos, or Skarmory > Gliscor

Sorry if the rate is short. Overall a solid first shot at a balance team and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)