First Team *new to competive battling*

Have made some changes due to some advice from some of you. And it seems to be working greatly. Win about half of my batteles. But still any other suggestions I will love to try

Roserade (F) @ Focus Sash
Abilitty: Natural Cure
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Spd/ 252 SpA
Nature: Timid
-Sleep Powder
-Toxic Spikes
-Energy Ball
-HP (Fire)
----
Using Roserade as my lead is crucial to the whole flow of the battle. Because for starters I open with Sleep powder, unless I predict of a Lum berry on the oppent. Then I will go straight for laying down toxic spikes which will give me atleast the two layers with focus sash. Unless im fighting a scizor lead. Then if I chose Sleep Powder and it was succseful. I opt for the two layers of toxic spikes. Then will go for the sweep if the type advantage is mine. Otherwise switch into scizor, or heatran to finish of the sleeping pokemon
Roserade seems to have a lot of problems dealing with Ninjask. Who just protect from its sleep power. As well as machamp leads who just heal from the sleep powder. Then I only get the one layer of toxic spikes down.

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Evs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA
Nature: Relaxed
-Roar
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
----
Mixpert is my next choice after roserade is koed. By first throwing down the stealth rocks. And then if not a guarentee 2Ohkoed with a stab. It will start scouting the team with roar. As well as phase giving sr damage, and that nasty toxic to all pokemon who don't resist it.

Seems to have trouble against Jolteons running hp (grass). As well as any really strong grass pokemon who aren't 2Ohkoed by ice beam

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 6 Def
Ability: Intimadate
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
----
This was one a metagross. But deciede to switch to get the ground resistance. As well as rid myself of another fire weak pokemon. He usally will switch in, and if I don't predict the Ohko then I will dragon dance. After that its pretty much a clean sweep for him.

Seems to have the same problem of jolteons as my swampert does. With them outspeeding my gyrados when not boosting dragon dance, and 1Ohkoing him

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Evs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Spd
Nature: Admant
-Bullet Punch
-Uturn
-Superpower
-Pursuit
----
Scizor is a staple revenge killer in my team. The bullet punch with its technician bonus, as well as choice band. Make it a hard hitter. Then the fear of a bullet punch makes pursuit very effect as well.
Never has any trouble doing what its there for. But has recently had a lot of trouble with mixapes against him. Since the lack of mence is coming.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Spd/ 252 SpA
Nature: Naive
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse 0r hp (grass)
-Explosion
----
Another good revenge killer on the team, as well as a suicide if needed for any annoying pokemon. Plus with its fire resistance it makes it very easy to bring in on any fire types, or a pokemon trying to ohko my scizor, or metagross. Plus with dragon pulse it helps keep most dragons at bay. Althought hp grass would keep mixpert at bay
Been having trouble with dragon danced gyrados. Which I just can’t seem to counter with this guy. So for a while I opted for Hp(electric). But then lost my dragon killer in the process

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Evs: 204 HP/ 252 Def/ 52 SpA
Nature: Bold
-Aromeatherapy
-Softboiled
-Seismoc Toss
-Ice Beam
----
This was my replacement to my Miltank cleric. And my god is it such an improvment. With much better walling capabilties. Giving me a chance to heal my team. And still stay in compiment health.

Seems to be very viable to physical close combats. Which its High HP doesn't even seem to help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there is my team it overall has a lot of problems with Baton Pass teams. Which makes me think I should have a taunted but not sure yet. So any expert advice would be great. In any changes to pokemon I would need, or just a move change or such. Well thanks in advance
---------
Alos i have battled 10 battles with this team
my win ratio is 7 wins 3 lose

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, half you team is weak to fire, which is a bad thing, even if the other half resists. Also, I dont see the point in miltank in ou (Shock!). Blissey and Celebi can do the exact same thing. Theres a reason why she's in NU

Thick Fat reduice fire types.

Flex Bander is a good olution on your team on Miltank because Heal bell is useless I think.

I agrees with Mooo, get rid of Miltank for the fitness class drop out blissey. I think you should get rid of rocks on gross and give to swampert, then give
gross thuderpunch, then youngot a devasting. Without thuderpunch gross, you have no gyaradis or empoleon counters

So who is the better choice Celebi, or Blissey? I mean personally I'm not a fan of blissey tho.

And with the rocks on mixpert. What should i get rid of if i wanna keep the roar. To have him as a scout/phaser?

Personally I think Celebi is better than blissy for you. Blissy may be stronger against special attacks, but it dies to physical like crazy. Celebi, on the other hand can take hits very well. For the best potential of him you should go with the smogon cleric version.

But Celebi will give him a 4th Fire Weakness, which is a HUGE problem. And it's because of that very reason why I feel Blissey would be superior. Although you do need a ground resist too.

I'd suggest maybe running a DD Gyarados over Metagross and just slapping stealth rock onto swampert in place of Surf. Gyara will not only give you a 2nd much needed Fire resist, but also gives you a ground resist, while replacing one of your ground weaknesses. and swampert is a fantastic switch in for gyara resisting both of his weaknesses. You could run the bulky DDdos with taunt or the more aggressive life orb gyara, either one would easily fill a crucial role on your team.

But Celebi will give him a 4th Fire Weakness, which is a HUGE problem. And it's because of that very reason why I feel Blissey would be superior. Although you do need a ground resist too.
If suspects a fire attack, and they are quite obvious when they are going to happen, all he has to do is switch to Heatran. Its a little unpleasant surprises for the opponents.

Heatran is hardly an excuse for running 4 fire weak pokes. A simple mix ape can ohko it with close combat on the switch and then proceed to sweep his entire team.

Well i've been testing the blissey, and the stealth rock support swampert.
And swampert has been doing greatly. Where blissey is falling short. What could be a better cleric or even wall to replace.

Also who should i test replacing with metagross?

in place of metagross, you could try this:

Gyarados @ Life Orb
252 Atk 252 Spe 6 Def
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Earthquake

and as for Blissey falling short as a cleric I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for in a cleric, since blissey is hands down the best cleric in the game.

Well Blissey is actually doing better now. I just had to change a move on it. ANd im gonna try the gyrados instead of gross right now.

Any other changes that youd suggest?

The only thing I would really do is run Leaf Storm on Roserade instead of Energy Ball, it does more damage over two turns, and in a pinch when you really need to give something a good smack in the face with her, Leaf Storm can really be a nice asset.

Well i've been running the edited version of this team. And its been running greatly. Except I have been having lots of trouble with sub puncher breloom. ANd gyrados in general. Any suggestions?

Running Thunder Wave on Blissey in place of Ice Beam will allow you to make gyarados incapable of sweeping your team, allowing you to send in your own gyarados against it, intimidate it, shrug off it's Waterfall, and KO it with Stone Edge.

But a good counter to Breloom would be Gengar, who resists both of Breloom's STAB Attacks. So just switch something in to take the sleep, and switch in Gengar and feel free to KO it with either Shadow Ball or Hidden Power Fire should you choose to give it that so Gengar can also take down things like Scizor. I highly suggest dropping Heatran for Substitute/Protect Gengar. Gengar is an amazing scizor counter in that you can protect on it's first attack, and if it uses Bullet Punch, you can immediately switch in to Gyarados to get a free Dragon Dance, or if it uses Pursuit, expecting you to switch, you can simply attack it with Hidden Power Fire for the OHKO. Substitute does have it's merits over Protect though in that if it's the Swords Dancer scizor you can Sub up when they boost their attack, and then regardless of what move they use you can OHKO them from behind your shell. Also makes you really useful because Gengar can force a lot of switches. Not to mention allowing you to switch in on Breloom's Substitute, and then set up a Substitute of your own so he can't Spore you to sleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)