First Team -- Volcarona

**This is OU gen 5 by the way, sorry forgot to put it in the title.

Alright, I'm new to this thing so I might jack some people's layouts to make mine look a little prettier (though this team isn't very coherent in my opinion and I wanted to get some advice to make it mesh well together).

So, to start out with, every team needs an inspiration, and mine was Urugamosu (Volcarona) because after learning about Butterfly Dance and his decent speed and Porygon-Z equivalent SpA, I HAD to center at least one team around him. Anyways, let's get to the Pokemon and sets.

Alright, so honestly I didn't think too much about my lead as to specifically be designed to help my ladybug, but who doesn't like a little flinch hax to get rid of a Pokemon or two, so for my Lead...

Jirachi @Choice Scarf
Jolly [252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP]
Serene Grace
~Iron Head
~Stealth Rock
~Fire Punch
~Trick

Pretty self-explanatory set; no one likes being tricked into Stealth Rock, no one likes being Flinched to death, and Fire Punch is just there for a filler (could change it if anyone has a suggestion, maybe Zen Headbutt for better Flinch coverage?).

After my lead, I thought of another pokemon that I could use to keep opposing sweepers in check, including some Vocarona counters, and as general a saving grace. As a growing popularity for his priority OHKO's on many OU sweepers, I picked up...

Azumarill @Choice Band
Adamant [252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def]
Huge Power
~Aqua Jet
~Ice Punch
~Waterfall
~Superpower

Maximized damage output with CB and Adamant, the rest of the EVs put into bulk. I couldn't really think of other moves besides these ones as Azumarill's physical move pool isn't too extensive, but most of these come in handy; Ice Punch if I can predict right because a lot of people switch in Jarooda if I come in on an easy Aqua Jet KO, same with Waterfall to hurt harder (I barely use it, maybe replace it with Toxic?), and Superpower as a hard hitting move that sometimes provides a nice hit on a easy would-be counter.

Next, I wanted a staller that could provide some more coverage and resistances, as well as setup some hazards, so I jumped on the BW bandwagon and...

Nattorei @Leftovers
Relaxed [252 HP/156 Def/96 SpD/4 Atk], [0 Spe IVs]
Iron Barbs
~Spikes
~Leech Seed
~Gyro Ball
~Power Whip

Stole the EVs from some other Nattorei set somewhere, works well. Since I'm running Gyro Ball, need to kill as much Speed as possible, then Leftovers for the stall. Leech Seed is great on this guy, can force a switch pretty easily with it to get some free Spikes, but of course I have to be worried of hoes reflecting my crap back *COUGH* ESPEON. Gyro Ball does really nice damage to the fasties, and Power Whip provides nice coverage as well.

Okay, now I thought to myself that I need another backup sweeper or at least someone to do some easy damage when Azumarril can't. Though I don't think he may be the best synergy with my team, I just love this guy too much...

Breloom @Life Orb
Jolly [252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP]
Technician
~Spore
~Mach Punch
~Swords Dance
~Bullet Seed

Well, I wanted to make him fast enough that he could Spore easier as he dies pretty fast (especially with the Life Orb), so Jolly it was decided to be. I thought about changing him to the typical Sub Puncher set, but I like Technician Mach Punch and Bullet Seed too much. This guy (overused statement, but) hits like a truck after a Swords Dance, and I can lay a beat down on a bunch of pokemanz with Mach Punch, as well as Bullet Seed. Pretty easy to counter if they status me first though, that's why I considered the Poison Heal instead of Technician, but... Idk.

Next, my issue was Stealth Rock. I did have Espeon before, but as someone pointed out, having the Team Preview function (lame) really makes it hard to bounce back things because they'll be expecting it. As I didn't like ground pokemon much, but still wanted a bulky spinner, I took a suggestion (by Jaroda) to run a Balloon and Hail to have a better chance at SS teams (which pretty much wreck me if I don't take care of Doryuuzu)

Tentacruel @Balloon
Calm [252 HP/136 SpD/120 Def]
~Rapid Spin
~Hail
~Boil Over
~Evil Eye

Balloon so that I can deal with Earthquakes and Earth Powers, Spin+Hail was explained. Boil Over is pretty nifty with the 30% burn, and Evil Eye helps me when I either status someone or if a Spin blocker comes out. Still, I kind of wish I had that 5th slot so that it'd be easier to EE those ghosts with Toxic Spikes, but it's fine.

I'm saving the best for last. The whole focus of my team, the star player, the ladybug...

Urugamosu @Lum Berry
Timid [252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP]
~Butterfly Dance
~Flame Dance
~Bug Buzz
~Hidden Power [Rock]

I've found this set (including nature) to be the most efficient as I am not walled or outsped by a lot of things if I have even just 1 Bfly boost. Lum Berry for Mischevious Heart or to fool people into trying to status instead of switching, etc. as after using this for a while, it seems to outclass Leftovers more than half the time. Flame Dance was picked because I usually can only get 1 Butterfly Dance per sweep, and the extra SpA boost really helps, plus it has a frequent trigger. Bug Buzz for more coverage and Tyranitar OHKOs after a BD, then HP Rock to kill some common switch-ins and other Ladybugs.

Okay, so I'm considering scrapping one or two of my Pokemon for a Spinner (maybe a Tentacruel, but my team already doesn't like Earthquakes) and/or a phazer because I'm weak to BP teams... I like my team so far, but it seems like I'm completely countered by certain strats. I'm not going to make a list of threats (at least not right now), but I'm really just looking for some critique and I'm sure I'll have to change some stuff to get a functioning team because I'm fairly new to the Poke-scene, as I've learned most of what I know from other RMTs and playing on PO for a while. I would love for some (hopefully constructive) criticism and ideas of what to change. I play on the Pokemon Online server as there are more people on it usually, so I apologize in advance if anything here is conflicting with any Smogon rules. I may switch over to this site's server as Truant+Befriend Aianto and Shadow Tag Shandera is broken, as well as Drizzle + Swift Swim being lame.

Thanks in advance.

It's suicide running Volcarona without Rapid Spin support. Since Team Preview let's your opponent know you have an Espeon, reflecting Stealth Rock isn't the easiest thing in the world. If you'd like you could replace Forretress as your Rapid Spinner and Spiker. Volt Change fortunately allows you to get the upper hand on your opponent more often than not. Otherwise Starmie is probably the best Rapid Spin user. Tentacruel doesn't like EQ but you can give it a Balloon if you want.

Actually, I'm going to recommend you replace Jirachi AND Espeon with Uxie. Uxie can use Stealth Rock, Trick and dual screen for you and has much better defenses. This ammount of utility, despite being Taunt bait (But hey, that's what Mental Herb is for) allows you to substitute Espeon for said rapid spin user.

Otherwise your team doesn't really like Sand teams. The combination of Ground and Rock attacks aren't kind to you. If you opt for Tentacruel, Hail is an option for changing the weather to a neutral position, helping neuter Excadrill and Landorus.

personally i would run hidden power ground on volocarano(not spelt right...) to deal with the likes of heatran which completely walls my favorite 5th pokemon. also it provides excellent coverage

Rock is preferred because many a Heatran carry Balloon and it can also hit Gyarados which is nice. And while Heatran walls, it's set up fodder since it needs to either Toxic or Roar it to be able to actually do anything noteworthy.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On Rankurusu do you mean 252 sp. Attack instead of 252 speed? Rankurusu is pretty slow so speed won't help it much.

On Volcarona, consider bulkiness since you both have a lum berry and are boosting Special attack already. I run Timid 216 HP /40 Sp Attack/ 252 speed. 40 in SpA ensures 252/252 Nattorei is OhKOd with SR and unboosted flame dance. (now that i think about it, 40 spa was a pointless insurance. I just needed a goal to shoot for)

In the same vein, you can also run defense on Rankurusu, but I haven't used that poke in a while so I can't offer and suggestions there.

It's suicide running Volcarona without Rapid Spin support. Since Team Preview let's your opponent know you have an Espeon, reflecting Stealth Rock isn't the easiest thing in the world. If you'd like you could replace Forretress as your Rapid Spinner and Spiker. Volt Change fortunately allows you to get the upper hand on your opponent more often than not. Otherwise Starmie is probably the best Rapid Spin user. Tentacruel doesn't like EQ but you can give it a Balloon if you want.

Actually, I'm going to recommend you replace Jirachi AND Espeon with Uxie. Uxie can use Stealth Rock, Trick and dual screen for you and has much better defenses. This ammount of utility, despite being Taunt bait (But hey, that's what Mental Herb is for) allows you to substitute Espeon for said rapid spin user.

Otherwise your team doesn't really like Sand teams. The combination of Ground and Rock attacks aren't kind to you. If you opt for Tentacruel, Hail is an option for changing the weather to a neutral position, helping neuter Excadrill and Landorus.
Hm... I'll try Tentacruel for Espeon, since Forretress would mean I'd probably have to replace Nattorei (or at least as my Spiker). I've never tried Uxie, but if you're suggesting Mental Herb, what good would Trick be? I may also try your Hail+Balloon idea, never thought of it before (other two moves as Boil Over and Evil Eye?). Thanks.
personally i would run hidden power ground on volocarano(not spelt right...) to deal with the likes of heatran which completely walls my favorite 5th pokemon. also it provides excellent coverage
Yeah, I really dislike Heatrans, but he's not really enough of an excuse to always carry HP Ground. Most I've played don't expect Rock, so I usually get some free kills through that anyways. Besides, like Jaroda said, Heatran often carries Balloon and his usual route of getting rid of me is Roar.

You better watch out for sweepers man, because they will light your team on fire. Ha, its a play on words, because your team is really weak to fire (especially when Azumarill and Ulgamoth are gone). Anyways, you really need to watch out for opposing Ulgamoth's setting up on you first. If they can do that, they will proceed to Burn your team down with Fire and Bug moves. You could use Azumarill and Breloom to use Aqua Jet and Mach Punch (respectively) to KO the Ulgamoth, but that wastes one of your pokes in vain. Because of this, try switching Azumarill or Breloom with Heatran. Heatran walls many sweepers, as well as steels and some dragons.
Try running a Balloon + Stealth Rocks + Sub + Fire Blast + Earth Power set.
This set dominates the meta (except for a few counters), and is quite successful.

Also, you should try out a Evo Stone Dusclops over your next weakest link (in your opinion) or a Confagrius. This puts a major wall on your team (preventing sweepers and some stall) and helps you in many ways. Try out different sets of course, but you should really use Calm nature w/ max hp and def. This maximizes its walling capabilities as well as having a nice set. A good bulky Con set is:
Bold nature, lefties, 252 hp, 136 def, 120 sp. def.
set:
-Rest
-Haze
-Will-o-Wisp
-Evil Eye/Shadow Ball

Hoped this helped! :D

Okay, I'll try some stuffs before editing my team, thanks for the input. I'll update my conclusions of what works later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)