1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Hedgy, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Hedgy

Hedgy

*Edits in Cyan*

Hey all, this is my first post so not too much abuse please :D Oh yh, and can't find the 'assigned image number' of the pokemon, probably because I'm fail, if someone can tell me how to do that, i'll add some as soon as I read it, thx ;)

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
    Sticky Hold
    252 SpA / 180 HP / 76 Speed
    Timid Nature

Final Gambit
    Yawn
    Bug Buzz
    Spikes

This guy's my version of an anti-lead... Anything which generally won't do more than half damage (have to guess but yh...) get yawned, forcing the switch. On the switch they get spiked, then more follow up spikes if they still don't look like they can do much damage to Accelgor. As soon as a bulky pokemon comes, it uses final gambit... just to remove it as I don't like to rely to much on the walls. If there's no way final gambit can kill it, nor bug buzz do significant damage, either yawns if the opposing pokemon is setting up, or is just going to be a pain. Otherwise maximises the stack of spikes, and then suicides - either gets killed after using spikes, or uses final gambit once the spikes stack is maxed out. Ofc, if for every set of spikes I lay, they are getting more potent and yawn just isn't an option for whatever reason, it immediately final gambits - basically it stops any lead they might obtain, plus hopefully gives me a slight advantage in the process.

Krookodile @ Choice scarf
    Moxie
    252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature

Crunch
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Fang

A physical sweeper (better late game) - the usual choice item deal - choose the most effective move and stick to it. As soon as a resistance comes along, it switches. Through experience, it works well with my walls, when they stall. The switch into it, especially if its just after vaporeon's wish, lets it finish off the opposition pokemon, and get the attack increase (moxie) without any damage done to it. Crunch is the most used, but if there's a particulary annoying garchomp, or a tanking ferrothorn (for example) it uses dragon claw or fire fang. Earthquake is there for late game sweeping ( -when i'm sure there's no flying pokemon left). I think the moveset gives perfect type coverage.

Hydreigon @ Life orb
    Levitate
    252 Speed / 176 SpA / 76 Att
    Hasty Nature

Taunt
    Fire Blast
    Earthquake
    Dragon Pulse

A wall breaker / mixed sweeper - Taunt allows it to dispatch support walls, while the other moveset provides nice type coverage. Flying / bug / grass special walls, are annoying, likewise simply particularly bulkly pokemon. If they're not offensive pokemon, it taunts then continues to do high damage to the switch - in, or if they are capable of doing damage to it, it switches out.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky helmet
    Iron Barbs
    252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def
    Brave Nature

Gyroball
    Power Whip
    Leech Seed
    Spikes

A physical wall that can put out some nice damage - Spikes and leech seed allow it to heal, and hurt those that switch out to exploit its fire or fighting weakness. If the oppostion pokemon can easlily remove it through fire moves or whatever, it switches with vaporeon or dusknoir - preferably vaporeon because of wish - which allows the switch in to the sweepers without getting damaged to much (unless of course the typing would prove fatal). Gyroball is particularly useful due to its slow speed, again allowing for serious physical damage.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature

Wish
    Protect
    Toxic
    Scald

A Special wall that can soak up most hits - good type resistance with Ferrothorn and Dusknoir. Good for stall wars / scouting with protect. Wish provides that useful healing of others ofc. If it needs to hold out on its own, wish then protect works nicely, with the added availabilty of toxic for stalling. Scald is there for some damge output or possible more stalling. wish / protect / toxic / protect then continuos wish / protect combo, works quite nicely, especially against other walls.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Pressure
    252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD
    Impish Nature

Will-o-wisp
    Pain Split
    Earthquake
    Ice Punch

A tank - nice type coverage with ferrothorn and vaporeon. Earthquake and Ice punch have highest type coverage out of the moves he can learn I think, not a great fan of pain split, but its the only healing move he's got. Pain split allows it to bring down those higher health pokemon - snorlax, blissey e.t.c. although it tends to faint shortly after as pain split can't cause fainting, and its slow speed usually means it can be revenge killed by almost anything. Switching out onto vaporeon then wishing and switching back onto Dusknoir solves this problem but only to an extent.

Sorry about no pictures :(
    This team is an offensive team. There's no rapid spin which can sometimes be a serious problem. The main problem is the lack of special move usage - when a physical wall comes, hydreigon is down (which I try and avoid at all costs), or stall wars doesn't work, there's usually a problem. It can be fixes by switching onto a pokemon with good type resistances, to try and get the oppositiong to switch. 3 of the pokemon weak to fighting, but one of the defensive pokemon is a ghost type, so that manages to even things out a bit. Another problem is getting out swept because neither of the two main attacking pokemon (Krookodile and Hydreigon) have high base speed... and a choiced scarf pokemon could easily out pace Krookodile. There's no decent resistance to flying or ground either (although levitate can cover that - there are a few abilities that negate that). Threats that come to mind: Gyarados, genies and mienshao - all decent sweepers that can break the walls fairly easily. If Dusknoir is down, and a sturdy fighting type comes (e.g. Sawk), things are a bit of a pain - the sweeper's get out swept... although generally fighting type moves make contact, so the switch into Ferrothorn sometimes forces the switch, or even causes the oppostion to faint (although Ferrothorn is week to fighting, so healing is necessary - again relying on vaporeon's wish).

Yeah so please feel free to make any changes - constructive critism welcome!

Thx.

Hedgy.
  2. Minacciosa

Minacciosa

Accelgor wants Focus Sash. If you really want to keep Pursuit then it can stay but it isn’t hurting much especially with Accelgor’s low attack and the Timid nature. Me First is too gimmicky to be reliable, and should be replaced with either Spikes, Encore, or Yawn. Sludge Bomb needs to be replaced with Bug Buzz because Poison is, hands down, the worst attacking type - and you hit Grass types with your STAB Bug Buzz harder anyway. Right now any steel type can set up on you with ease. Also, think about chaning the EV spread as, unless you’re worried about speed tying with other Accelgor, you’re wasting speed Evs which could easily go into HP (which makes your Final Gambit stronger).
    Krookodile looks fine. Hydreigon might want to change around some moves / Evs. You could run Modest/Timid with Earth Power and Dragon Pulse, but if you want it for wall breaking, something like: Taunt / Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Outrage would work a lot better. Basically like Salamence except Taunt in exchange for Dragon Dance. The attacking Evs should generally be placed more in the attacking stat you will use most often.
    Ferrothorn is alright, but with Explosion’s power drop, you’re better off using Swords Dance / Hone Claws / Curse instead. Since you have no wish support, and leech seed will only get you so far, ditch the helmet for leftovers. Evs should be placed in HP rather than Def, in spite of leech seed because of Ferrothorn’s base HP and defense stats.
    Jellicent as offensive is rather questionable given, but okay. You could get better coverage by losing Water Spout (no speed is getting you nowhere and only making Water Spout weaker) and Will-o-Wisp by using Scald. In which case, Shadow Ball can be switched with Hex which will be doing more damage to anything with status which Scald / Wow can easily do. The free moveslot give you something for either Taunt, Toxic, or Giga Drain.
    Dusknoir should switch Muscle Band for leftovers. Those Def/SpD Evs should be changed to HP (even with Pain Split).
  3. Hedgy

Hedgy

Thx for the reply.

I went for sludge bomb / pursuit on Accelgor, because I see a lot of ninjasks, and bug buzz only does half damage against it. Pursuit would then wipe it out on the baton pass... but I suppose getting stab just about evens it out and provides more versatality.

As for hydreigon, Work Up has worked quite well for me, although it has been a pain when a completely maxed out steel defence wall has come, even with 2x power with earthquake (haven't encountered any flying special walls yet or something like that). But dropping Work Up for better type coverage on one of the attacking styles mightn't be much better because you lose the 50% increase in power (through work up) for better type coverage on one attack style... you've got a 50% chance that the new move will be of useful type coverage (could be good type coverage, but up against a maxed out wall in the unwanted stat) - although I suppose you have more versitality for future switch ins... hope that makes sense. :P

As for everything else, I totally agree, may even ditch one of the walls / tanks for a wish support, but if I did exactly what you suggested (which I might well do :D) I would require 2 leftovers... I'm pretty sure there's only one, and its a fairly commonly used item so not many people would be willing to trade it.

Thx again.

Hedgy ;)
  4. Minacciosa

Minacciosa

Yawn incapacitates both Ninjask and the baton passed recipient.
    With Hydreigon, since Dragon Pulse is the only source of STAB, it’s better to place more Evs in that stat because you will probably use it more than EQ. Or for being mixed, if you only want to run two attacks Outrage and Fire Blast would work well hitting everything bar Heatran, and because most steel types are hit harder by Fire Blast than EQ.
    If you don’t want to drop a wall for wish support, you could basically do both with Vaporeon...
    (Bold, 252 HP / 252 Def with Wish / Protect / Toxic / Scald ). It would basically do the same thing as Jellicent, but provides good bulk and is probably the second best with passer that exists thanks to its high HP.
    I’m not sure what you mean about the leftovers, but you can always get more in game or by trading from another one.
  5. Hedgy

Hedgy

haha that vaporeon imo is basically perfect, i'll just go and do some mass changes now...

thx! :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)