First UU Team (Top 100)

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hello Smogon! I've recently been getting back into Pokemon after a few months off and I decided to take a shot at UU after being a predominantly OU player in the past. I made this team very quickly with the idea to have it made up of an offensive and defensive core. The defensive core would wear down the opposing team through hazard/toxic damage and the offensive core would come in late game to sweep. The team worked surprisingly well achieving a peak around a score of 1900 and a ranking of around 80. I have not made any changes to it so far, probably because of my lack of knowledge regarding the UU tier as I've only been playing it for a couple of weeks and Smogon has been down. However, I know there is still much for me to learn about UU and your help would be greatly appreciated! With that said, here is the team!

Golurk @ Leftovers
Iron Fist
Adamant 252 att/252 hp/ 4 sp def
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Shadow Punch
Fire Punch

Golurk is a Pokemon that I knew I wanted to utilize due to his ability to set hazards, spin block, and take hits from common UU threats such as Mienshao and Heracross very easily. Also, Golurk has a nice attack stat and can put major dents into the opposing team, making it even easier for my sweepers to clean up at the end of the game. I have thought about utilizing a more defensive EV spread so Golurk can take a few more hits but he almost always does his job and is a common MVP for this team.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Natural Cure
Calm 252 hp/ 240 sp def/ 16 speed
Spikes
Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb
Rest

I chose Roserade because I knew it was a classic UU hazard setter and is a great special wall. Roserade usually has plenty of opportunities to come in and set up Spikes which are so important to my team, plus Rest with Natural Cure sometimes allows me to get a little more time out of Roserade's walling capabilities which can be huge during a match. She also matches up perfectly with Blastoise to finish off my Defensive Core.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Torrent
Bold 252 hp/ 252 def/ 4 sp att
Scald
Rapid Spin
Toxic
Roar

I chose Blastoise to pair well with Roserade and that has worked very well so far. It's great physical bulk is a huge asset to my team and I commonly find myself switching in to Blastoise to take hits. He is also a valuable member because of his ability to get hazards off of the field, phaze out set up sweepers or possible switch-ins to rack up hazard damage, and to Toxic opposing walls such as Cofagrigus that may be hard to take down.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Sheer Force
Jolly 252 att/ 252 speed/ 4 sp def
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
SuperPower
Rock Slide

Darmanitan leads off my Offensive Trio which also happens to be a Scarf Trio. I wanted to have 3 scarfers for a couple of reasons. First of all, it would keep the flow of the game in my favor and I would be able to take complete advantage of any holes I had exposed in the opponent's team with my Defensive Core. Secondly, to compliment my hazards i wanted to have some sort of VoltTurn combo to force as many switches as possible, and in my opinion VoltTurn is most effective on Scarfed Pokemon. Darmanitan is great for this as he can rip holes in to the opponent with his insane attack stat and power Flare Blitz, or just scout and U-turn for a favorable matchup, or revenge kill a threat like Chandelure with Rock Slide.

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
Pressure
Timid 252 speed/ 252 sp att/ 4 hp
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Extrasensory
Hidden Power Ice

Raikou has really turned out to be a great fit for this team. His ridiculous speed stat coupled with a Choice Scarf allows me to send him in against faster Scarfers like Victini that would give Darmanitan and Heracross trouble. He also matches up well with Darmanitan for VoltTurn and he matches up amazingly with Golurk. Between the two of them hazards nearly always stay on the field since they can take on the rapid spinners of UU so well. Golurk can take Claydol easily on his own, Hitmontop has trouble with Golurk and Raikou can clean up if needed, and Blastoise is hopeless against Raikou especially after taking around 40% from Golurk's EQ before being able to 2hko with Scald.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Moxie
Jolly 252 att/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
Megahorn
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Sleep Talk

Heracross is an amazing late game sweeper and can pull me out of many messes by racking up boosts and laying siege to the opposing team. I chose Sleep Talk because it allows me to keep up my momentum even if I'm in a situation where I could be put to sleep by a Roserade or Amoonguss. It also allows me to switch up my moves during a sweep in way and I also don't really have a need for night slash since it's not a move I could sweep an most of a team with, which is what Heracross' role really is.

So there's my team, I hope you enjoyed reading my RMT and feel free to comment with any suggestions, I will take all of them into consideration. Thank you!

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
My post copied itself four times and I'm not sure why. You now have three useless posts by me, sorry. I can't delete them so I'll just edit them with nothing >.>' silly new forums

And now my entire rate just deleted itself. I really don't know what's going on. I'm going to let this chill for an hour to see if it fixes itself and then rewrite the rate. I'm sorry about cluttering up your thread with all this, there's seriously something wrong >.>"

Pretty solid looking team, I dig the Golurk. But three Scarfs isn't a great strategy in my opinion, having all your offensive pokemon choice locked can leave you really open. Scarf Raikou's move set makes it very easy to switch into, and it really lacks power (252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 144-169 (42.22 - 49.56%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). Scarf Heracross is really easily walled these days since everyone is so used to facing it. Things like OTR Cofagrigus or Nidoqueen can come in on any attack and then sweep your team. The offensive core itself is really solid though, I just think that some sets need to change.

I'd say keep Darm as your Scarfer, Heracross and Raikou can achieve their full potential without Scarfs. I'd say go with Sub-CM Raikou, its a really popular and effective set. Thanks to Raikou's high speed its pretty easy to set up, and after getting a boost or two its a serious threat to any team.
Raikou @ Leftovers
Pressure
Timid 252 speed/ 252 sp att/ 4 hp
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Substitute
Calm Mind
I'd recommend trying either Choice Band or Swords Dance Heracross, both are great wall breakers and status absorbers thanks to Guts.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Guts
Megahorn
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Sleep Talk/Earthquake

Heracross @ Leftovers

Guts
Megahorn
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Swords Dance

MCBarrett

Pretty solid looking team, I dig the Golurk. But three Scarfs isn't a great strategy in my opinion, having all your offensive pokemon choice locked can leave you really open. Scarf Raikou's move set makes it very easy to switch into, and it really lacks power (252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 144-169 (42.22 - 49.56%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). Scarf Heracross is really easily walled these days since everyone is so used to facing it. Things like OTR Cofagrigus or Nidoqueen can come in on any attack and then sweep your team. The offensive core itself is really solid though, I just think that some sets need to change.

I'd say keep Darm as your Scarfer, Heracross and Raikou can achieve their full potential without Scarfs. I'd say go with Sub-CM Raikou, its a really popular and effective set. Thanks to Raikou's high speed its pretty easy to set up, and after getting a boost or two its a serious threat to any team.

I'd recommend trying either Choice Band or Swords Dance Heracross, both are great wall breakers and status absorbers thanks to Guts.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely be trying them out and I'll probably go for the Banded set on the Heracross

Switch Golurk's ability to No Guard and swap out Fire Punch for Dynamic Punch. D-Punch is way more annoying and you already have Darmanitan to deal with Brongzong.

Random switch-ins never want to be confused.

Wow, This team is extremely similar to a team I made a little while back! Golurk is just awesome in uu aint it :). The only diferences are I use Offensive cm suicune (The calm mind is awesome for when they switch and sometimes can resort in a sweep) Choice scarf Reckless Mienshao, and Choice band Victini. Sub Calm mind Raikou is in there too in what i like to call my Dual calm mind core :P

First I do recomend Choice scarf Mienshao, Even without Heracross's Moxie it can still clean up teams very easily. Now this would be Freeing up raikou for a more usefull set such as Substitute Calm mind which gives you a win condition too. 1 other thing, You do not need 3 choice scarfers. Darmanitan I feel is a weaker Scarfer since its slower so he is better off with Life Orb or Choice Band. Also You should Give Leech seed a try on Roserade, Props to CoolStoryBrobat for this idea that works so very well. You can leech seed on the predicted switch and use it to even heal other pokemon.

Thats about it for me, Wonderful team and I hope it does you as well as it has done me :) Now the Sets!

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
Darmanitan's Item to Choice Band Or Life orb

Wow, This team is extremely similar to a team I made a little while back! Golurk is just awesome in uu aint it :). The only diferences are I use Offensive cm suicune (The calm mind is awesome for when they switch and sometimes can resort in a sweep) Choice scarf Reckless Mienshao, and Choice band Victini. Sub Calm mind Raikou is in there too in what i like to call my Dual calm mind core :p

First I do recomend Choice scarf Mienshao, Even without Heracross's Moxie it can still clean up teams very easily. Now this would be Freeing up raikou for a more usefull set such as Substitute Calm mind which gives you a win condition too. 1 other thing, You do not need 3 choice scarfers. Darmanitan I feel is a weaker Scarfer since its slower so he is better off with Life Orb or Choice Band. Also You should Give Leech seed a try on Roserade, Props to CoolStoryBrobat for this idea that works so very well. You can leech seed on the predicted switch and use it to even heal other pokemon.

Thats about it for me, Wonderful team and I hope it does you as well as it has done me :) Now the Sets!

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
Darmanitan's Item to Choice Band Or Life orb

MCBarrett

@RNG- While Dynamic Punch is an intimidating attack, I don't really like to rely on luck to win which basically is what preying on Confusion Hax is. Also, both Shadow Punch and Fire Punch have many more uses than just Bronzong and I don't think I would want to give them up. Thanks for the suggestion though!

@PTJohn7/TeraVoltage- I have done some testing and I do agree that 3 scarfers is not really necessary, although it did have its benefits. I decided that using Darmanitan as my only scarfer was not really cutting it, and without a scarf and Moxie Heracross was kind of becoming useless. I turns out I didn't really need a wall breaker but rather something that could capitalize on a weakened team. In that case Scarf Mienshao seems to fit perfectly and I will definitely be using it. I also like the idea of the Raikou set, and even though I'm not used to it yet, it seems like it will do the job. Also, I like the idea of using Life Orb Darmanitan instead of Choice Scarf. I'll probably interchange the set I use there since two scarfers is fine but having a little extra power is nice too. Thanks for the rates guys it definitely helped!

Fire Punch seems really useless from my perspective because I would assume that the common switch-in to Golurk is Blastoise, Milotic, (insert more bulky waters), and maybe Gligar in some instances. Dynamic Punch allows you to hit incoming bulky waters on the switch and allows you to make switches more safely.

Best case scenario: You Dynamic Punch an incoming Blastoise (IMO the #1 switch in the current metagame) he takes damage and is confused. You switch to Rosearade and not only scare him away, but if you get the confusion you stop him from spinning.

I say keep Iron Fist/Fire Punch. It helps Golurk beat things like Bronzong, Escavalier, and any Grass type that may want to switch into it.

The changes to your offensive core sound great, I think you'll be much happier with it now.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I originally posted this but yeah deleted and stuff der. (Sorry, I've been slacking). I'm going to agree with PTJon and say to drop the scarf on Raikou. The only things it outspeeds are ScarfGon, ScarfTini, and ScarfShao, none of which are really too threatening to your team. Furthermore, it's not like Raikou is much of a counter to any of them, only being able to boast that it can OHKO flygon with an HP Ice. I'd personally look into Specs Raikou, but SubCM is pretty threatening as well.

Awesome team overall :) sorry this rate isn't as extensive as the orig one was, but I can't remember everything I said :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)