First VGC Team, looking for advice

Ok, so first off, I'm completely new to the VGC. I have no idea what has worked in the past, what is frowned on, etc. Any general advice, pointers, or links to up to date articles and analysis would be very appreciated. That said, here we go!

Team at a glance:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Timid, Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpecDef / 192 Speed
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Aeroblast

Taken from this thread, The purpose of Lugia is to set up a substitute and then sweep. Ice Beam is primary, Hydro Pump in case of Sunny Day team, Aeroblast has STAB. Contemplating Thunder instead of Hydro Pump, to counter water teams which apparently are rampant.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly, Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Sword Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch

Standard Lucario. Counters blissey, and Tyranitar who I think based on my limited knowledge will become a major player in this tournament play. Also counters Palkia, which is a threat to Lugia. Lugia also counters some threats to Lucario such as Groudon.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly, Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Standard Garchomp. Can hit hard, etc. I feel like this guy doesn't really need to be explained. Swords Dance and then Dragon Claw or Stone Edge. Has excellent synergy with Tyranitar, because of the Sand Veil ability. Suffers from lack of Stealth Rock, but from what I gather that isn't required in this style of play. I think overall it will work well even without the residual damage, but I'm open to suggestions!

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly, Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Superpower over Earthquake because Garchomp already covers that. Same with Aqua Tail instead of Stone Edge. Will come out later, and pave the way for Garchomp to come out and set up a Swords Dance. Will probably take Lucario's spot early in the game. Standard Scarf set. I'm torn between the Scarf or a Life Orb -- being tied to one attack relatively early game makes me nervous, but I think it works the best with this set. Any comments?

----------------------------------------

I haven't tested this team out yet, because I am unsure where to do so. If anyone could recommend how to test it out, I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks guys!

(Remember, this is new to me. Please be nice! I learn fast.)

VGC has item clause so you can't have Life Orb on both Garchomp and Lucario. I would suggest taking Life Orb off of Garchomp and replacing it with Focus Sash because Dragon and Ice moves are going to be running around like crazy and coming off of Ubers they will all be enough to OHKO you. That Lugia on the other thread carried Subsitute because he had Weavile's Fake Out to help it set up T1. Without that you're sub isn't going to stay out long because you have 2 Pokemon coming at you. I'd try Protect over it. For Garchomp go Earthquake, Rock Slide, Dragon Claw, Protect. For Tyranitar I'd go Crunch, Rock Slide, Low Kick, and Ice Punch. Also, you can have 2 Ubers so I suggest you take advantage of that (Garchomp isn't Uber in VGC). I'd say toss Lucario, probably for another weather inducer so you can counter whatever weather your opponent trys to set up (weather = mega popular this year). Well thats all I got good luck this year.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll have an update later tonight. Is there a server / program where I can test these teams out on? I tried asking people if they knew in Shoddy, but no one was interested. They were going on about... unsavory things :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)