First VGC Team

Well it is basically what the title says, my first VGC team. I'm rather new to the competitive battle community and well, I'm not great. After all it is my first VGC and while I know I can't just start and be good, I would really like to not be made a fool out of at the tournament. I am also new to the metagame and although this is my first team, it hasn't done all that bad online after I learned how to use the Pokemon to their full potential. When constucting the cast of the team my main goal was to have no main weakness, and I succeded in that. The team is definately built for mainly sweeping/stalling because I know these matches are going to be moving really fast in most cases, but enough of me talking, heres the team.​

Leads:

Mienshao (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Special Attack)
-Hi Jump Kick
-U Turn
-Rock Slide
-Wide Guard​

Well where to start, I like to start Shao with Choice Scarf so that I can scout the opponents starters and easily use U Turn to escape quickly if I know I will get OHKOed. Also, I like to have Wide Guard so that if the opponent is starting a Jellicent, which wouldn't be odd, I can protect my Chandelure from being out of the match before it starts. I like Hi Kick and Rock Slide just to inflict damage when needed, but I'm open to replacing them if neccesary.​

Partner in Crime:

Chandelure (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Defense/ 252 Special Attack [0 Speed IVs]
Modest Nature (+Special Attack, -Attack)
-Trick Room
-Imprison
-Heat Wave
-Shadow Ball​

Chandelure, in my opinion, is the ideal contender if using Trick Room, mainly because he can also serve as a counter. Imprison is good to have when facing a Gothitelle, Reuniclus, or Beheeyem, given that they are running Trick Room. Shadow Ball and Heat Wave are probably the best special attacks to have in Chandelure's movepool. Like I said earlier, I know these matches will be running really fast and Trick Room might be a lost cause, but its always good to have say if Chandelure is my last Pokemon coming out with full HP, he can use Trick Room, take a hit with focus sash, and finish the enemy off hopefully.​

Eelektross (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Defense/ 252 Special Attack
Modest Nature (+Special Attack, -Attack)
-Protect
-Flamethrower
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Thunderbolt​

Eelektross, a very expendable Pokemon, is perfect for my team because Hidden Power serves as my main dragon defense, with levitate, my team have no main weaknesses, and its movepool is fantastic. I chose Special Attack over Attack because I feel more people will be stacking their Defense rather than Special Defense, but I'm not completely sure on that, and the moveset I find is pretty good and would be meaningless had I chosen Attack. Protect is always nice to have because it lets you scope out your opponent and see what your up against although it might not be used as much with my Eelektross giving that his Speed is considerably low.​

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Attack/90 Defense/ 160 Speed
Adamant Nature (+Attack, -Special Attack)
-Protect
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw​

It is a no brainer that Haxorus is running with Choice Scarf and Adamant, after all he does have the highest base attack in Gen V. Mold Breaker is especially handy when facing Hydregion, or Eelektross because I can just run Earthquake on them and they're usually gone after two turns. Protect is extremely useful when you find yourself against another Dragon type such as Hyrdregion, which you know is going to use Draco Meteor the first chance it gets, which would, in any other case, OHKO you easily.​

Final Comments:
There isn't really much to say, its my first VGC team and I know there are probably some huge mistakes in there. Please don't outline the problems, just tell me how to fix them. Thanks.​

I love all the references you make to my team.

Protect on Choice Scarf Haxorus is kind of gimmicky. Much like me running protect on my Jelli, you won't really use it when you can be blasting away for OHKO's. I'm too familiar with his moveset, but something brick break would be awesome. I would also not run EQ has even if you partner has levitate, mold breaker still allows you to hit your own pokemon for usually massive damage. If you feel enclined to use protect, keep it and switch EQ for brick break.

Sitrus berry would be ideal on Eelektross has it will heal more HP overall than leftovers. Does the 252 Def EVs protect you from something specifically because if not, you're better off running 252 HP and 4 Def.

I have nother else to really say on your leads. Good team, I hope you do well at VGC's and I really hope it's not you and me in the first round.

Ya thats a good point, after all EQ did do like 60% damage on my Eelektross, so I will probably end up switching that out with Brick Break. And also I'll switch out items for my Eelektross and EVs. Thanks for the Feedback, it is much appreciated

You might want to consider speed boosting natures on all of your pokemon.
Also, if possible itd be best to use mienshao with fake out and inner focus. Liepard outspeeds you for the faster fake out, and he can learn snatch as well, making it useless to use imprison if your facing one. But overall a pretty good team. Your right there is no major weaknesses. (Was said before, but ill reiterate: cannot use duplicate items in vgc, item clause is effect.) Also you might want to decide what your extra two are. Having alternate leads or alternate backups with more type coverage is helpful.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
You should replace Wide Guard with Fake Out, because I've seen that Wide Guard isn't used very often. You should replace Regenerator with Inner Focus on Mienshao. I know what you're thinking, U-Turn helps with Regenerator. But there are a lot of Pokemon using Fake Out in the VGC. Plus Mienshao should have Life Orb. The best item choice for Mienshao is Focus Sash because of its poor defenses, but Chandelure already has that which is a good choice. I'm saying this out of experience. I got top 16 in the Dallas Regionals. Overall great team, hope you do good in the VGC! Good luck!

Thanks man(men), sorry im getting back to you late ive been busy with my team but i really appreciate the response and nballer ill actually be at the dallas regionals also so maybe ill cya there, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)