Non-Pokébank OU Flygon+Magnezone Bulky Offense (Prebank)

Introduction

Hello there. I've been trying out Bulky Offense, a new style for me, on the Gen 7 pre pokebank ladder. This team has seen moderate success but is still not effective enough I feel. Any advice would be appreciated.

Teambuilding Process

First off,Alolan Muk has incredible typing in Poison/Dark, allowing it to switch into various attacks and pivot.

Next up, Tapu Bulu creates synergy with Muk and pivots into Leech Seed.

Flygon offers Ground STAB, momentum and potential to clean late-game.

Scizor is the main sweeper with Steel STAB revenging Tapus and Mamo.

Magnezone is used to trap Skarm and Celesteela and threaten Toxapex, paving the way for Scizor and Flygon.

Tapu Lele is used for its spammable STAB and revenge potential, able to destroy other offensive teams.

The Team

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
Alolan Muk has the same amazing typing as Drapion in Poison/Dark, both good for defense and offense. It has access to STAB Knock Off and Pursuit for utility, allowing it to check Mega Zam and Gengar. Poison Jab plus P-Touch can deal with the new meta filled with Fairies and bulky walls that aren't immune. Shadow Sneak is just for picking off weakened mons. Assault Vest allows it to better check the Tapus and UBs.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Wood Hammer
I chose Tapu Bulu due to the terrain it brings, weakening EQs for Muk, forming a bulky pivot core. The SubSeed Bulk Up set can destroy stall or unprepared teams. I used this to check Zygarde before it got quickbanned but is still effective now. Wood Hammer is the attack of choice since it can 2HKOs even resists, while Horn Leech fails to do the same.

Flygon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Quick Attack
Flygon got a new toy in Dragon Dance in SuMo. With a single boost, it can easily sweep up late-game. Since this is prebank, it doesn't have access to a strong physical Fire move of Steel types, so I went with Quick Attack to damage Mamo before the Ice Shard. Also with Dragon Claw low base-power, I chose Dragonium Z for a 1-time powerful move that can bust through defensive moves. Originally it had U-turn, but I found myself never clicking it since it only comes out late-game.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 176 SpD / 8 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Brutal Swing
- Roost
- Swords Dance
Scizor creates offensive pressure with Flygon, but the main reason I chose it is because it counters the current meta. With Tapus, frail UBs and passive mons running around, it has many chances to set up and either break mid-game or sweep late-game. One thing Scizor can do better than Flygon is deal with fast or priority users such as Mamo and Kartana, thanks to its natural bulk. Brutal Swing is Technician-boosted and hits other Steel types neutrally./FONT]

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
Magnezone is used to trap Skarm and Celesteela, the 2 things that can wall my offensive threats. It can also scare out Toxapex for a Volt Switch. Chople Berry is used as a last-ditch effort to stop Kartana after +1. It's pretty much the same set from ORAS.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Aromatherapy
Scarf Tapu Lele is used to destroy offensive teams and revenge most mons at around 50% HP. Its spammable Psychic in Psychic Terrain can also be used to wall break early-game, dealing even 40% to resists except for Celesteela. Moonblast is a secondary STAB if the opponent has a Dark type in the back. HP Fire can OHKO other Scizors since it can't be revenge kill. Since most of this team is susceptible to burn, Aromathrapy is chosen to cure the team if Lele is no longer needed.

Conclusion

Since the prebank meta has a small pool of hazards setters, I chose not to have rocks or spikes. My bulky core can wear down the opposing team early to pave the way for either Flygon or Scizor. Threatlist: Celesteela, Mamoswine, Garchomp, Buzzwole, Tapu Fini.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Wood Hammer

Flygon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Quick Attack

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 176 SpD / 8 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Brutal Swing
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Aromatherapy

Just a quick suggestion: switch aromatherapy or HP fire on Lele to Shadow Ball. Burn also isn't really a problem AFAIK because it got nerfed pretty hard from 1/8 a turn to 1/16 a turn. I haven't run into burn at all yet on the ladder. HP fire also seems a little redundant on Lele, but idk. Do what you feel like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)