For NYC Smogoners: Toys R Us is having a launch party on 3.14

For HGSS of course. I don't see an announcement for this event yet anywhere, but my friend spoke to a 42nd street Toys R Us employee today, who said that the store bought the rights to this party and will be redecorating the store for it. Just a little heads up :)

I heard something similar. Friends and I are planning a little field trip to nyc. Gonna hit the pokecenter there. I heard something about a tournament? Details?

Sorry if this is spam, but the title of this thread made me realize that HG/SS is being released on pi day!
Yeah that is spam most likely, but to try to make it slightly relevant, Nintendo always releases big games (such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl) on a Sunday as opposed to the Tuesday that everybody else releases everything on. GameInformer even assumed that it was coming out on a Tuesday and got the release date wrong in the latest magazine

I really would like to go to the Pokémon Center in NY but sadly I can't for a long while.

From what I heard it was the tru that was holding it not nintendo. Gotta see if I can find any store around here dumb enough to break street date before I go up to nyc

I usually head to nintendo world (pokemon center) pretty frequently since i live in the city but from wat i know, wether or not theres a launch party, there are deffinately gonna be gamers there to play/socialize/shoot the shit lol. besides, the TRU on 42nd street isnt far from nintendo world anyway so i suggest yall visit there.

I usually head to nintendo world (pokemon center) pretty frequently since i live in the city but from wat i know, wether or not theres a launch party, there are deffinately gonna be gamers there to play/socialize/shoot the shit lol. besides, the TRU on 42nd street isnt far from nintendo world anyway so i suggest yall visit there.
I live in NJ but whenever I goto the city I visit both of those stores, lol.

Could one of you locals look into finding out if they have any kind of rules posted?

Also should have some kinda smogon secret handshake

I went to the TRU in Time Square on Saturday and asked if this event was really happening, and from what he told me we can pretty much confirm that an event will be taking place this sunday at TRU. I also want to note that when I asked the representative at the Nintendo World Store, they said they are going to be having something going on the following weekend. They said they'll update the website as soon as they get the green light from tPCI. Hope to see some of you guys this weekend and the following one. =]

Seems kinda backwards that nintendo isn't doing something on its own weekend.

Guess I should start working on a vgc team in case those end up to be the rules.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Seems kinda backwards that nintendo isn't doing something on its own weekend.

Guess I should start working on a vgc team in case those end up to be the rules.
So do we even know if they are holding a tournament or is this just speculation? I checked their website and they didn't have anything, and nothing posted in this thread even mentions that they are having a tournament. I would really like to know because if they are having a tournament I would go for sure :)

Just a heads up, Nintendo World is not doing anything for the release. I keep up with them for merchandise, and they say that Toys R Us bought the right to have the release party or something.

Anyway, if you pre-ordered your game at TRU (see the TRU site for specific stores) then you can attend their events for some giveaways. Most TRUs will be giving out shirts with ho-oh on one side and lugia on the other, with the game logos on the sleeves. Each store only gets about 40 though, so show up early. Apparently you also have to compete in some battles to win the shirts, but the details are unclear.

Some stores are offering a deal where you can pre-order the game and you get a DS basics set that includes a nice screen cleaner (Black with gold and silver ho-ohs and lugias) as well as two game cases and two HGSS styluses. I have them, they're pretty neat.

Lots of little giveaways too, like sticker sheets and such.

I sort of wish I didn't live in Canada.

So how was it? I heard the weather was bad.. but hope you guys had fun anyway!

I've been going to the NYC Nintendo World Store releases for the past two years... Chinatown-busing it from DC, making some lazy, last-minute cosplay..
...disappointed that they didn't have an early release this year ;o; so didn't go this weekend.

But hopefully will be there again next weekend, even though it's a week late :D
Hope to see you guys there!

Nothing happened at TRU it was just an additional accessory pack promotion that came with hgss.

I went to Nintendo World around opening and there was a line outside. Nintendo World was packed. Lines went all throughout the first floor then onto the stairs/2nd floor. Pretty much kids with parents, a couple of cosplayers (I saw a cute squirtle girl), and what seemed to be people who didn't know about IV's and EV's;I guess from who I overheard or talked to. Quite uneventful, maybe I should have stayed longer.

If you were there from around 1 to 5, there were a few ok players who all got creamed by me nearthe middle of the first floor. And there was also a mini VGC tourney where I won a HGSS Tshirt and 20$ cash. But TRU had nothing

I was there for a little while. Wish I woulda been there for that tourney. Those shirts are kinda awesome.

I liked the little pokewalker condoms the tru guys were giving out. I also got a side by side comparison of the dsxl to my ds, and the color in person. I think I'm a fan.

Then of course lunch at a ny deli. with some ny cheesecake afterwards. Was a pretty awesome time.

Oh and I told the girl working as the female trainer at tru she needed a bigger hat. Cause the in game hat is HUGE.

Aw, sorry to hear it wasn't that eventful. Maybe next weekend will be better! :D

http://www.nintendoworldstore.com/print/Calendar.jsp
So for those planning to go, what time do you plan to show up? Last year we showed up at like 7am (when our bus arrived) and there were already like 20 people waiting @__@; (of course, that was pre-release and not like a week later ....)
Oh and I told the girl working as the female trainer at tru she needed a bigger hat. Cause the in game hat is HUGE.
Haha, my friend is making a hat now, and I was like... NEEDS TO BE WAY BIGGER! So yea, now it's huge and stuffed with cotton.

Quoted from an employee, the event will mostly be a meeting place where a large group of people can trade battle talk etc. There will be a few employess that you can battle to "prove you are the best" and beating them earns you prizes. They said all participants get a free tshirt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)