Sub Hydreigon or Expert Belt Hydreigon?

• Sub Hydreigon

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Expert Belt Hydreigon

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-Introduction-

For my newest RMT, I wanted to base a team off an underrated Pokemon. After looking around, I found Hydreigon. This thing works wonders. Do not let his lower usage in OU fool you as he is a force to reckon with. The only Pokemon that can handle Hydreigon behind a Sub is Chansey/Blissey. Since Hydreigon is rarely seen, a lot of teams do not prepare for him. With the correct support, Hydreigon can tear teams apart.

-Meet The Team-

-In Depth-

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar still remains one of the best Pokemon in the current OU metagame. Tyranitar sets up Stealth Rocks reliably, checks various threats that could potentially become a threat to the rest of my team, and keeps other weathers off the field to cripple some rain/sun based teams. Tyranitar is my main answer to Psychic/Ghost types such as Latios/Latias, Gengar, and Reuniclus. With Chople Berry, I can check Trick Room variants of Reuniclus as well as handling Gengar and Hydreigon better; both of wich can be KOd by Tyranitar. With the investment I have, not much is going to like taking a STAB Crunch coming off of a fully invested (except for nature) base 134 attack stat. This investment also plays key when trapping opposing weather Pokemon. After Politoed/Ninetails have been weakened by hazards, sandstorm, and hits from my other Pokemon, I can come in for the guaranteed KO with Pursuit and win the weather war, giving me the advantage.

As for the EVs, I have 156 HP/100 SpD with Careful nature to help take on powerful attackers such as Latios. With this investment, I can take two Surfs from Specs Latios (unless the opponent gets two max damage rolls) as well as taking one full powered Draco Meteor and one -2 Draco Meteor letting me KO with Pursuit and sandstorm damage. 252 attack pared with my 156 HP/100 SpD investment lets me tank hits, but not have to compromise power to do so. As stated earlier, a max-invested 134 base attack stat is something you do not want to mess with. The move set I am running is pretty standard. Stealth Rocks is the most important move in the game. Stealth Rocks is necessary in the current metagame with all the Dragonites, Gyarados, and Volcoronas rampaging through the metagame. Even on non Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, it helps by insuring a lot of KOs. Crunch is a reliable STAB that with Tyranitar's great attack stat will hurt many Pokemon in the metagame. Pursuit helps by trapping Pokemon such Latios, Latias, weather starters, and various other Pokemon to prevent them from being a nuisance to my team. Earthquake is mainly for coverage. Earthquake hits Heatran, Jirachi, (the CM variants could prove problematic without Earthquake) hitting Lucario that try to set up, and hitting Terrakion on the switch.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes

Skarmory is one of the best physical walls in OU. Skarmory plays an important role on this team. He provides a Dragon resist wich is extremely useful when facing powerhouses like Banded Haxorus/Dragonite. He also provides Spikes. On a team like this with a lot of ways to force switches, that helps a lot. With Skarmory's great typing, he also finds many opportunities to set up Spikes as well. Once Tyranitar has trapped my opponents special attackers, all I need to do is stack Spikes and Whirlwind to victory. Skarmory is also my main answer to a lot of common physical attackers. Skarmory helps against all variants of Scizor, (without Skarmory SD Scizor would be a huge threat) Sub DD Dragonite, and physical attackers in general. Skarmory also serves as my first defensive pivot vs Banded Terrakion. With Skarmory and Mew, I can predict around Banded Terrakion and rack up hazard damage putting him in Brave Bird KO range. I run Shed Shell to deal with Drag+Mag based teams. Since Skarmory has a reliable recovery source, he can effectively pull of a great Shed Shell set. It's also pretty funny to see my opponent rage when they figure out I have Shed Shell.

This is the standard defensive Skarmory from the Smogon analysis just with a couple extra speed EVs to speed creep other Skarmory. 252 HP/216 Def with an Impish nature on top of Skarmory's base 140 physical defense makes him a great physical wall. Skarmory will give pretty much any physical attacker a headache. As I said earlier, 40 speed EVs are mainly to speed creep other Skarmory and win the Whirlwind war wich can be pretty crucial at times. Spikes put mental pressure on my opponent causing them to rush decisions putting me at an advantage. In higher level matches, there is always a lot of switching. If my opponent lacks a rapid spinner, their switching will be limited again, putting me at an advantage. Whirlwind pairs perfectly with Spikes racking up damage on my opponents team and limiting the amount of times that certain Pokemon can switch in. Whirlwind also helps a lot vs set-up sweepers. Since Skarmory is my main answer to Sub DD Dragonite and Sub DD Gyaraods, this is very crucial to prevent me from getting swept. Roost gives Skarmory a reliable recover source. To any wall, a recovery source is extremely important. Since Forretress lack recovery, it can not pull of an effective Shed Shell set (in my opinion) unlike Skarmory who can use Roost to compensate for the lack of Leftovers. Lastly, Brave Bird provides a nice mono attacking move for Skarmory. Brave Bird speeds up the process of hazard stalling by putting a large dent into my opponents Pokemon. Although Skarmory's attack is nothing to write home about, Brave Bird's high base power makes up for this and still packs quite a punch even without any attack invesment.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

One thing that was pointed out was my weakness to entry hazards (Toxic Spikes particularly). Without a spinner, my team would fall apart slowly as Spikes effect every Pokemon on my team except for Skarmory and Hydreigon and Toxic Spikes cripple Celebi and decrease my odds of winning weather wars as Tyranitar will be worn down pretty quickly. Tentacruel is a reliable spinner and also gives me another switch into Scizor and gives me a good switch into Infenape. Tentacurel also provides Toxic Spikes wich can be pretty helpful in wearing down opposing Pokemon (especially weather inducers). With Tentacruel's resistance to Fighting type attacks, he also makes for a nice check to NP Lucario wich could be problematic without Tentacruel. Tentacruel can also form a third defensive pivot vs Terrakion to take Close Combats and X-Scissors. With the abundance of rain based teams raging through the metagame, Tentacruel is pretty useful. Tentacruel can be a pretty reliable check to rain based teams while at the same time abusing rain with Rain Dish. Since Tentacruel has good physical defense (with the investment I am running) and good uninvested special defense, he takes hits on both sides of the spectrum making him an effective mixed wall. With Tentacruel's nice typing, he can abuse his nice defenses really well. Sadly, Tentacruel has no reliable recovery and has his Black Sludge canceled out by the sandstorm. If I play Tentacruel well though, this is usually never a problem as his great defenses keep him alive for quite a while.

This again, is a pretty standard set. 252 HP/126 Def makes Tentacruel very bulky. With this investment, and Tentacurel's nice defenses, he can tank a lot of hits. 40 speed EVs give Tentacruel enough speed to out speed standard Gliscor. Scald provides a great STAB attack. With the 30% burn rate, Tentacruel can cripple physical attackers and inflict a lot of damage to them. Ice Beam hits Dragon type Pokemon for hard damage. I can sponge hits from Latios and Hydreigon and retaliate with Ice Beam. It also insures that Dragonite can not set up on Tentacruel. If the Dragonite is a bulky DD set or does not carry Earthquake, Tentacruel can beam Dragonite 1v1. Toxic Spikes are pretty useful especially when fighting weather wars. Since all weather inducers are effected by Toxic Spikes, this gives me the advantage in the weather war as the opposing Politoed/Ninetails/Abomasnow will be worn down pretty quickly. Lastly but definitely not least, Rapid Spin. With a lot of entry hazards on the field (especially Toxic Spikes) my team does not function to its full potential. With Rapid Spin, I can keep opposing hazards off the field wich is extremely crucial.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 208 HP / 200 SAtk / 100 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Celebi plays a large roll is this team. Celebi is here to combat rain based teams, Rotom-W, Conkeldurr, and even pull of a sweep once my opponent's Celebi counters and checks have been eliminated. With Nasty Plot raising Celebi's special attack by two stages and Celebi's great 100/100/100 defenses, she can easily pull of a sweep. Celebi also has great offensive synergy with Tyranitar. Latios and Latias both of wich are problems for Celebi, can be trapped by Tyranitar giving Celebi room to sweep later on in the game. Tyranitar is also a good Heatran switch in as she can tank a hit and KO with Earthquake. Psychic eliminates a lot of common Celebi switch ins. After Stealth Rocks, Celebi can KO Dragonite with Psychic. Celebi also lures in Infernape. A lot of times, people will switch an Infernape into Celebi thinking that I can not do anything just to get predicted and KOd by Psychic. With Celebi's nice bulk, If she is at a reasonable amount of health, she can check Starmie (three attacks Starmie is quite a threat to this team if Tyranitar is at low health and she is not in KO range of Terrakion's X-Scissor). If Starmie does carry Ice Beam, Celebi can take one and recover all the damage dealt by Starmie with Giga Drain.

The EVs on this Celebi are not your standard Nasty Plot Celebi EVs. 208 HP EVs pared with Celebi's nice 100/100/100 defenses makes her quite bulky. With this invesment Celebi can tank quite a lot of hits. 200 SpA EVs along with a Modest nature make Celebi pretty powerful. After a Nasty Plot boost, she is extremely powerful. 100 Spd EVs lets me out speed pretty much all variants of specially defensive Jirachi and +0 252 Spd Adamant Dragonite allowing me to KO after Stealth Rocks. Nasty Plot give Celebi a huge power boost and can sweep through teams after Tyranitar has ridded of Latios/Latias and Heatran. Giga Drain gives a reliable STAB attack wich is important to drain health from my opponent's Pokemon prolonging Celebi's life span and letting her continue her sweep. Hidden Power Fire hits steel types that resist Giga Drain and Psychic. Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress, and most steel Pokemon fall to HP Fire. Psychic is here to help with Conkeldurr, eliminate Dragonite, and give Celebi more coverage in general. After a Nasty Plot boost, Psychic deals 37.96% - 44.44% damage to offensive Heatran letting her beat Heatran after hazards as well as other hits have worn him down.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Terrakion is my revenge killer. Or you could say he is the "glue" of my team. With Terrakion's blistering speed stat, (108 base to be exact) he can out speed many sweepers even at +2. Terrakion revenges Dragonite, Gyarados, and pretty much the entire metagame. Terrakion is also pretty much my only answer to Volcorona. With sandstorm boosting Terrakion's special defense, even if my opponent predicts my switch, HP Ground still will not be doing much. Terrakion also has great offensive synergy with Tyranitar. Tyranitar traps Psychic types and Ghost types. After these Pokemon are gone, Terrakion can sweep through my opponents team late game. Terrakion also helps against sun teams. Terrakion revenges Venasuar as well as hitting everything pretty hard (baring the occasional Donphan). As well as all of this, Terrakion is my last resort to deal with Celebi. Since Hydreigon has no source of recovery, hazards and sandstorm damage will be wearing him down pretty quickly.

The EVs on this set are the standard sweeper spread. I run 4/252/252 with a Jolly nature to out speed many threats while still maintaining Terrakion’s power. Even with a Scarf, Terrakion is still a powerhouse. Close Combat is a powerful and reliable STAB attack that can tear through unprepared teams. As I said earlier, Close Combat can even score late game sweeps when my opponent’s team is weakened and has lost all of its Fighting resists (or I have weakened them to a point where I can KO them) as well as immunities. Stone Edge provides a nice back up STAB attack that hits Flying types Pokemon; something Close Combat does not do. Stone Edge also scores the KO on many threats. Dragonite, Gengar, Gyarados, Volcorona, and many other Close Combat resistant/immune Pokemon can all be taken on with Stone Edge. Earthquake provides a more direct way of dealing with Toxicroak as well dealing with random Nidokings and low health Jirachi. X-Scissor is mainly for coverage. X-Scissor hits Psychic types for super effective damage. X-Scissor is especially important for dealing with Celebi if my Hydreigon is not usable at the time.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

Hydreigon definitely does not get the usage he deserves. The only Pokemon that can face this monster behind a Sub is Chansey/Blissey. Once entry hazards, sandstorm damage, and damage from my other Pokemon have worn down my opponent's team, Hydreigon comes in and cleans up. Even early game Hydreigon is amazing. He can come in and block status/leech seed with Substitute and use his amazing power and coverage to sweep my opponent's team. Hydreigon also serves as another check to rain/sun based teams. He can come in on many common Pokemon found on those types of teams, set up a Sub and begin destruction. Hydreigon's main issue is faster Pokemon that can inflict heavy damage. With Substitute, my opponent can no longer kill Hydreigon in one hit. With Hydreigons great special attack stat, my opponent usually can not get a second hit off as their Pokemon will be dead before they can hit Hydreigon again. Hydreigon's Sub is not broken by 0 attack Jirachi's Body Slam wich is great because a lot of people think they can beat Hydreigon with Jirachi. As well as being a monster, he also serves as my main check to Celebi. Since Hydreigon resists or is immune to most common moves on Celebi, (Giga Drain, Psychic, HP Fire, and Earth Power) he can take a couple of hits and inflict a lot of damage with Flamethrower.

The EVs I have are pretty self explanatory. A 4/252/252 spread is used to abuse Hydreigon's great offensive stats to their full potential. With this spread along with a Modest nature, Hydreigon is a powerhouse and a force to reckon with. This spread also allows me to out speed Adamant +0 Haxorus wich is very useful when facing them. Substitute is the key to sweeping. Since Hydreigon is extremely powerful even without a boost and benefits greatly from Substitute, he can be an effective and deadly sweeper. Dragon Pulse is the main attacking move. It is a very reliable and powerful STAB attack that is only resisted by Steel type Pokemon. Flamethrower hits the Steel type Pokemon who resist Dragon Pulse. Although I could run Fire Blast here, I prefer the accuracy of Flamthrower. It usually always gets the job done anyways. Focus Blast is what separates Hydreigon from Latios. Hydreigon can hit Tyranitar, where Latios is just trapped. It also hits the one Pokemon that can not be hit effectively by Dragon/Fire coverage: Heatran.

-Conclusion-

Well, if you have read this far, I give you a round of applause. So far this team has done really well for me. This does not mean it is flawless however, so all rates and suggestions are appreciated.
-Thundurrr​

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi Thundur!

Conkeldurr is something you need to really watch out for, since the only mon that can safely switch in on it is Skarmory, whereas everything else is OHKO’ed after a Bulk Up boost – which is relatively easy to get, especially because of the plethora of weak neutral moves in your team. The fix for this is pretty simple, use Psychic > Ice Beam on Mew. However, the more pressing issue is your lack of a spinner, and compounded with the relative weakness of your team to Toxic Spikes, Rain Stall and strong offensive spike stacking teams with the VoltTurn Rotom-w / Scizor duet become impossible to overcome, however well you play. Using a Tentacruel should not only give you a good spinner, but offer you a great pokemon to sponge about the same kinds of attacks that Gastrodon (the mon you’d be replacing) was meant for. The main loss is not being able to counter CM Jirachi as well, something I’ll address later on in this rate.

Tentacreul @ Black Sludge
Bold | 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Scald | Ice Beam | Rapid Spin | Toxic Spikes (Toxic – an option if you want to hit Levitators like Lati@s)

With a Hasty nature Hydreigon can run EQ over Flamethrower or Crunch over Dark Pulse to beat all forms of CM Jirachi without too much of a hassle, and lose no coverage in doing so. EQ will let to hit Tentacreul, who is a very troublesome spinner for you at the moment, since it is bulky enough to survive most any hit you can throw at it. It may even give you a higher damage output against Blissey! Simply move those 4 EVs from HP to Atk, which also gives you an HP number to let you take less damage from hazards. By utilizing a Rapid Spinner and additional hazards (Tspikes), I think your team is now making more effective use of the Terrak + Hydreigon offense and Mew stall.

Good luck!

Hi Thundur!

Conkeldurr is something you need to really watch out for, since the only mon that can safely switch in on it is Skarmory, whereas everything else is OHKO’ed after a Bulk Up boost – which is relatively easy to get, especially because of the plethora of weak neutral moves in your team. The fix for this is pretty simple, use Psychic > Ice Beam on Mew. However, the more pressing issue is your lack of a spinner, and compounded with the relative weakness of your team to Toxic Spikes, Rain Stall and strong offensive spike stacking teams with the VoltTurn Rotom-w / Scizor duet become impossible to overcome, however well you play. Using a Tentacruel should not only give you a good spinner, but offer you a great pokemon to sponge about the same kinds of attacks that Gastrodon (the mon you’d be replacing) was meant for. The main loss is not being able to counter CM Jirachi as well, something I’ll address later on in this rate.

Tentacreul @ Black Sludge
Bold | 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Scald | Ice Beam | Rapid Spin | Toxic Spikes (Toxic – an option if you want to hit Levitators like Lati@s)

With a Hasty nature Hydreigon can run EQ over Flamethrower or Crunch over Dark Pulse to beat all forms of CM Jirachi without too much of a hassle, and lose no coverage in doing so. EQ will let to hit Tentacreul, who is a very troublesome spinner for you at the moment, since it is bulky enough to survive most any hit you can throw at it. It may even give you a higher damage output against Blissey! Simply move those 4 EVs from HP to Atk, which also gives you an HP number to let you take less damage from hazards. By utilizing a Rapid Spinner and additional hazards (Tspikes), I think your team is now making more effective use of the Terrak + Hydreigon offense and Mew stall.

Good luck!
Hey, Thanks for the rate! I have noticed the lack of a spinner hurting me. Without Gastrodon though, I am pretty weak to Rotom-W as Hydreigon, my best next thing has no recovery. I will test everything though. Thanks again.
EDIT: Comment your suggestions on how to fit a spinner on this team.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team man, I gotta agree with you I run that same Mew on one of my teams(minus some speed).

So the first thing that comes to mind is that you rely too much on Gastrodon to beat Rain teams. The first thing I prepare for on my rain team is Gastrodon, and all it takes is a rogue Hidden Power Grass to eliminate, really, your only defense against boosted Water attacks. For instance, my Starmie I run has HP Grass and it lures in TONS of Gastrodons. So I think the best thing you could do would be to replace Skarmory for Ferrothorn. The set I would suggest is:

Ferrothorn (F) @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 208 Def/ 48 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

This guy would help a lot against offensive rain teams. The EV spread is more defensive based because without Skarmory you definitely want another physical dragon sponge. Ferrothorn can serve a very similar role to Skarmory, minus the total phazing ability. It can easily set up Spikes and Leech Seed provides plenty of recovery(and can even be used for your teammates) and Hydreigon in particular would love the Paralyzation support. In my opinion Leftovers is 9 times out of 10 the better choice in the item department, but if you are particularly afraid of MagDrag teams then Shed Shell is of course very viable.

Lemme know how that works out and we can work from there, Good Luck dude!

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, as requested, here's the rate. First of all, your team has some serious issues dealing with Rain stall, as San_Pellegrino already addressed. I would like to second swapping Ice Beam on Mew for Psychic for this reason, as it would help you deal with Tentacruel more easily. With that change, Mew can easily have its way through the most common Rain stall cores: Politoed+Ferrothorn+Tentacruel+Blissey/Chansey. Psychic is also a much better option for dealing with the likes of Terrakion and Conkeldurr, who could potentially cause problems should they set up.

While Expert Belt Hydreigon is nice and all, but I think you could make good use of it in another manner: Substitute Hydreigon. Substitute is a great move on Hydreigon for many reasons. First of all, it protects Hydreigon from random Thunder Waves and Toxics that would otherwise hinder its survivability. Second of all, it can provide Hydreigon a shield against potential revenge killers, such as Conkeldurr and Terrakion. Simply get in against an easy opponent, Sub-up, and fire off Draco Meteors or the preferred attack behind the safety of a Substitute. Third of all, it eases prediction greatly. Hydreigon has outstanding coverage, and the only way your opponent wont be taking massive damage bringing Hydreigon down is if their prediction is spot on, Substitute makes that nearly impossible. Finally, it helps force switches, and considering how you have Spikes and Stealth Rock support (and maybe even Toxic Spikes support if you opt for S_P's change) your opponent will take a lot of damage as they scramble to deal with Hydreigon. Dark Pulse is probably your most expendable move, as Hydreigon has fantastic coverage between Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, and Focus Blast. While this means you can't hit Mew as hard, Mew's usage isn't particularly high, and other Psychic types can be dealt with by Tyranitar. Leftovers is obviously the new item of choice.
Psychic>Ice Beam on Mew
pros: better for dealing with Rain stall, allows Mew to check Terrakion and Conkeldurr
cons: no longer able to hit Dragons, but that's not Mew's job, that's Ttar's/Terrakion's

Substitute>Dark Pulse on Hydreigon
pros: better against status, protects vs revenge killers, eases prediction, forces switches like crazy
cons: no longer able to deal with Mew, although Mew isn't particularly common

GL
Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Softboiled
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

Hi, as requested, here's the rate. First of all, your team has some serious issues dealing with Rain stall, as San_Pellegrino already addressed. I would like to second swapping Ice Beam on Mew for Psychic for this reason, as it would help you deal with Tentacruel more easily. With that change, Mew can easily have its way through the most common Rain stall cores: Politoed+Ferrothorn+Tentacruel+Blissey/Chansey. Psychic is also a much better option for dealing with the likes of Terrakion and Conkeldurr, who could potentially cause problems should they set up.

While Expert Belt Hydreigon is nice and all, but I think you could make good use of it in another manner: Substitute Hydreigon. Substitute is a great move on Hydreigon for many reasons. First of all, it protects Hydreigon from random Thunder Waves and Toxics that would otherwise hinder its survivability. Second of all, it can provide Hydreigon a shield against potential revenge killers, such as Conkeldurr and Terrakion. Simply get in against an easy opponent, Sub-up, and fire off Draco Meteors or the preferred attack behind the safety of a Substitute. Third of all, it eases prediction greatly. Hydreigon has outstanding coverage, and the only way your opponent wont be taking massive damage bringing Hydreigon down is if their prediction is spot on, Substitute makes that nearly impossible. Finally, it helps force switches, and considering how you have Spikes and Stealth Rock support (and maybe even Toxic Spikes support if you opt for S_P's change) your opponent will take a lot of damage as they scramble to deal with Hydreigon. Dark Pulse is probably your most expendable move, as Hydreigon has fantastic coverage between Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, and Focus Blast. While this means you can't hit Mew as hard, Mew's usage isn't particularly high, and other Psychic types can be dealt with by Tyranitar. Leftovers is obviously the new item of choice.
Psychic>Ice Beam on Mew
pros: better for dealing with Rain stall, allows Mew to check Terrakion and Conkeldurr
cons: no longer able to hit Dragons, but that's not Mew's job, that's Ttar's/Terrakion's

Substitute>Dark Pulse on Hydreigon
pros: better against status, protects vs revenge killers, eases prediction, forces switches like crazy
cons: no longer able to deal with Mew, although Mew isn't particularly common

GL
Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Softboiled
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
Hey, Thanks for the rate! I will probably put Psychic > Ice Beam on Mew as it has had positive testing results. Stone Cold used a Sub Hydreigon on me and it worked out well for him. I will definitely test that set out. Although I will use Dragon Pulse > Draco Meteor to be able to sweep.

Cool team man, I gotta agree with you I run that same Mew on one of my teams(minus some speed).

So the first thing that comes to mind is that you rely too much on Gastrodon to beat Rain teams. The first thing I prepare for on my rain team is Gastrodon, and all it takes is a rogue Hidden Power Grass to eliminate, really, your only defense against boosted Water attacks. For instance, my Starmie I run has HP Grass and it lures in TONS of Gastrodons. So I think the best thing you could do would be to replace Skarmory for Ferrothorn. The set I would suggest is:

Ferrothorn (F) @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 208 Def/ 48 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

This guy would help a lot against offensive rain teams. The EV spread is more defensive based because without Skarmory you definitely want another physical dragon sponge. Ferrothorn can serve a very similar role to Skarmory, minus the total phazing ability. It can easily set up Spikes and Leech Seed provides plenty of recovery(and can even be used for your teammates) and Hydreigon in particular would love the Paralyzation support. In my opinion Leftovers is 9 times out of 10 the better choice in the item department, but if you are particularly afraid of MagDrag teams then Shed Shell is of course very viable.

Lemme know how that works out and we can work from there, Good Luck dude!
Thanks! I will test Ferrothorn.

Ok I changed Ice Beam for Psychic on Mew. I tried Tentacruel, but it didn't work well at all. It left me to weak to Starmie, Jolteon, and Rotom-W. I still have yet to test the Sub Hydreigon. Leave your suggestions on how to fit a spinner on this team as that is the only glaring weakness right now.

Hello, Thundur

Good team you have here. The first thing I would recommend here is a Psychic over Ice Beam on Mew. I like Ice Beam more, however, without Psychic, Conkeldurr is going to give you a hard time. You also should use the spread of 252 HP, 220 Def, 36 Spe. The extra def will be a plus against the likes of CB Terrakion and I dont think you need to outrun Dnite that much since you have a Steel + Scarf Terrakion, taking hints and revenging respec. Second, I would recomend Celebi over Gastordon. Checks Rotom-W as well and its better when facing the likes of Bulky Politoad for example, since your Gastordon can't take a Toxic very well. A set of 212 HP / 252 SAtk / 44 Spd, Modest Nature, Nasty Plot (or U-Turn if you like more Scouting over Sweeping attempt), Giga Drain, Hidden Power Fire, Recover. This will handle rain just as good Gastordon does, and can really damage badly unprepared teams. The EVs are for maxing bulk to take hits, SAtk to hit hard and the speed outrun common base 100's like Mew and Sp.Def Jirachi. Lastly I would just made a simple change of Forretress over Skarmory, You're using Skarmory more for Spikes and strong Outrages. Forry can do that as well, and it can spin, something your team really lacks. A set of Gyro Ball, Pain Split (or volt switch if you feel like momentum > healing), Spikes, Rapid Spin, 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SDef with a Relaxed Nature and 0 IV's on Spd should work really well. Set ups Spikes, and it spins when hazards should damage you, and also can defend against dragons just as well as skarmory does due to Gyro Ball.

Nice team and good luck.

Hello, Thundur

Good team you have here. The first thing I would recommend here is a Psychic over Ice Beam on Mew. I like Ice Beam more, however, without Psychic, Conkeldurr is going to give you a hard time. You also should use the spread of 252 HP, 220 Def, 36 Spe. The extra def will be a plus against the likes of CB Terrakion and I dont think you need to outrun Dnite that much since you have a Steel + Scarf Terrakion, taking hints and revenging respec. Second, I would recomend Celebi over Gastordon. Checks Rotom-W as well and its better when facing the likes of Bulky Politoad for example, since your Gastordon can't take a Toxic very well. A set of 212 HP / 252 SAtk / 44 Spd, Modest Nature, Nasty Plot (or U-Turn if you like more Scouting over Sweeping attempt), Giga Drain, Hidden Power Fire, Recover. This will handle rain just as good Gastordon does, and can really damage badly unprepared teams. The EVs are for maxing bulk to take hits, SAtk to hit hard and the speed outrun common base 100's like Mew and Sp.Def Jirachi. Lastly I would just made a simple change of Forretress over Skarmory, You're using Skarmory more for Spikes and strong Outrages. Forry can do that as well, and it can spin, something your team really lacks. A set of Gyro Ball, Pain Split (or volt switch if you feel like momentum > healing), Spikes, Rapid Spin, 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SDef with a Relaxed Nature and 0 IV's on Spd should work really well. Set ups Spikes, and it spins when hazards should damage you, and also can defend against dragons just as well as skarmory does due to Gyro Ball.

Nice team and good luck.
Thanks! As you can see already, I have changed Ice Beam for Psychic on Mew. I will definitely try out everything mentioned.

Bump. So far Sub Hydreigon has been working well, but both sets are really good. I am going to set up a poll. Please vote.

Toxic spikes will cripple your team badly.
Maybe a xatu or espeon could be put somewhere and that also helps with your large fighting weakness, although I'm not sure where you would it in or wether it would synergise well with the team.

My only comment would be if you are running Expert Hydreigon as well as Terrakion, would you're opponent not be suspicious of you running two scarfers? I've used Hydreigon+Darmanitan on one my sun teams and people were definitely suspicious. I would consider running the Life Orb set. Substitute Hydreigon sounds really bad since you are sacrificing 25% of your health, you use Draco Meteor and then forced out. Forcing yourself out in conjunction with Substitute sounds bad :\

My only comment would be if you are running Expert Hydreigon as well as Terrakion, would you're opponent not be suspicious of you running two scarfers? I've used Hydreigon+Darmanitan on one my sun teams and people were definitely suspicious. I would consider running the Life Orb set. Substitute Hydreigon sounds really bad since you are sacrificing 25% of your health, you use Draco Meteor and then forced out. Forcing yourself out in conjugation with Substitute sounds bad :\
LO + Sandstorm + no recovery = no

On my Sub set I am running dragon pulse.

I have changed Skarmory for Forretress. I am still testing the Hydreigon sets. Thank you to every one who has rated!

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your team definitely has a decent start, but you really need to edit the core slightly. Since your team is mainly a balanced team, having a Choice Scarf user is really frowned upon. The goal of your team should be to cover the majority of the metagame, while a Pokemon (Hydreigon for you) breaks through their core.

Thus, the first thing that I'd to is replace Terrakion with a special defensive Jirachi. What this will do is allow your team to take on threats such as Reuniclus and Latios.

JIRACHI (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Going along with the idea of having Pokemon cover the majority of the metagame, you really can't afford to have Forretress on the team, as it doesn't really do anything other than take Outrage hits, spin, and setup entry hazards. In a team that can dish damage out, you really don't need the extra entry hazards. Therefore, I suggest you replace Forretress with Hitmontop, who can cover a lot more threats. This is the Hitmontop set that I use, but feel free to experiment with it to fit your team's needs. You can put Heal Bell or Aromatherapy (or whatever Mew gets) on the team somewhere if you want. If not, I'm sure Hitmontop will do just as good as Forretress in spinning entry hazards.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Rest
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Lastly, Tyranitar has no right being on a balanced team. Keeping this in mind, I'd suggest you replace him with Hippowdon. The biggest reason I suggest this change is so that you can actually get some more sustainability with your lead position. Additionally, Hippowdon will also check more threats for you.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang

All of these edits should allow your team to sustain itself and counter a majority of the metagame; thus, your Hydreigon will be able to break the opposing team's core easier. Have fun.

@Limitless: Hi, thank you for the suggestions. With these changes, you are basically changing my team completely. I will definitely try them out though. Although in the part where you said i was weak to Latios and Reuniclus, both of them can be handled by Tyranitar with ease. Honestly, I do not see why a Choice Scarf user would be frowned upon in any matter. Their uses are pretty valuable. Again, Thank you for the rate and I will try these suggestions out.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Limitless: Hi, thank you for the suggestions. With these changes, you are basically changing my team completely. I will definitely try them out though. Although in the part where you said i was weak to Latios and Reuniclus, both of them can be handled by Tyranitar with ease. Honestly, I do not see why a Choice Scarf user would be frowned upon in any matter. Their uses are pretty valuable. Again, Thank you for the rate and I will try these suggestions out.
My edits make your team the most viable in the competitive metagame. If you simply want to use the framework of your team, then I'd just recommend replacing Foretress with Hitmontop, as it's really just sitting on your team. The other two Pokemon I suggested replacing are at least doing something, I guess.

Ok the team has undergone some pretty large changes.

I have Switched Forretress for Skarmory. This gives me means of dealing with SD Scizor. Overall Skarmory is better than Forretress aside from Rapid Spin, but I will address that later.

I have Switched Gastrodon for Tentacruel. After further testing, Tentacruel proved himself pretty useful.

I put Earthquake over Superpower on Tyranitar. This helps with CM Jirachi who is pretty problematic without Gastrodon.

I changed Expert Belt Hydreigon for Sub Hydreigon. So far, this thing has worked wonders. This is still up for debate so please vote in the poll.

For extra details on why I switched these Pokemon, check the RMT. Thank you to all who have rated.​

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey,

This will be a much shorter rate than usual but I'm glad to see my original suggestions working out for you! However, there is still that looming Rotom-w problem as a bunch of other guys have talked about. The Rewer's NP Celebi suggested above over Mew is really good, with an additional change of Psychic > Recover and 212 HP / 156 SpAtk / 96 Spe so you outspeed +0 Adamant Dragonite and deal some damage with Psychic, leaving room for another mon to finish it off. You'll beat Rain more handily now, cover the same threats Celebi did, as well as gain a more efficient scizor check (wow's accuracy on mew leave more to be desired). Since you aren't that weak to stall anymore with Tentacreul and Skarmory holding down the fort, I think that Celebi might be a worthwhile change to make.

Good luck man!

Hey,

This will be a much shorter rate than usual but I'm glad to see my original suggestions working out for you! However, there is still that looming Rotom-w problem as a bunch of other guys have talked about. The Rewer's NP Celebi suggested above over Mew is really good, with an additional change of Psychic > Recover and 212 HP / 156 SpAtk / 96 Spe so you outspeed +0 Adamant Dragonite and deal some damage with Psychic, leaving room for another mon to finish it off. You'll beat Rain more handily now, cover the same threats Celebi did, as well as gain a more efficient scizor check (wow's accuracy on mew leave more to be desired). Since you aren't that weak to stall anymore with Tentacreul and Skarmory holding down the fort, I think that Celebi might be a worthwhile change to make.

Good luck man!
Thanks! You have been quite a help to me. This looks pretty good and I will definitely test it out. One thing I am worried about is Terrakion causing me problems without mew to sponge a hit and retaliate with Psychic/Will-O-Wisp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)