ORAS UU Freezer-Burn: An Ice Man and his Dogs.

What is the most underrated Mega Evolution in UU? (B-rank and below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greetings fellow UU players. For those of you who are familiar with my work you'll remember I teased a Mega Abomasnow team. Well here it is! After much testing and tinkering, I've finally developed a team that I felt was successful enough to share. As you might know, I love experimenting with uncommon Pokemon, although I'll admit I didn't stray too far on this one! Mega Abomasnow is a very powerful, underrated mega evolution who resides within the awkward ban list that is Bl2. With SEVEN weaknesses, (x4 in fire), a vulnerability to Stealth Rocks, and horrible speed, many players are quick to give him the cold shoulder. However, this B-rank Pokemon brings much to the table with its incredibly unique offensive typing, access to priority, and supreme bulk. Now, let's kick some ICE!

Bumble (Abomasnow) (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
  • Abomasnow is one of my favorite Pokemon and is a very formidable force in the UU tier. Perhaps one of his greatest advantages comes in his surprise factor as not many teams are prepared for such a unique threat. Most of the UU tier is comprised of bulky water types, bulky grass types, dragons, or flying types. All of which Abomasnow can handle with relative ease. Being an Ice/Grass type, Bumble here posses very critical resistances to water, grass, ground, and electric. Abomasnow can tank Scalds and threaten out most water types allowing for huge damage on the predicted steel or fire type with Earthquake. Most grass types have secondary types to handle Abomasnow. However, Pokemon like Celebi, Mega Sceptile, and Roserade are pressured by Ice Shard. Resisting ground allows Abomasnow to check Swampert, Donphan, and (soft check) Krookodile. Soundproof is an amazing ability in today's meta which gives Bumble an immunity to all sound based moves. So what does this mean? Abomasnow before mega evolving takes no damage from Noivern's Boomburst, and neither Heliolisk nor Sylveon's Hyper Voice. This utility is invaluable to the team and allows for many opportunities to hit the opposing side hard. Bumble's EV spred is something I'm really not sure is being played to its max potential. I run a lot of bulk since I won't be out speeding anyone any time soon. Ice Shard and Wood Hammer are the main STAB moves for this set. Wood Hammer causes massive damage to even Pokemon that resist however at the unfortunate cost of severe recoil damage. This in tangent with Stealth Rocks mean Bumble can't stay for long, but causes great damage while he's on the field. Ice Shard while not the strongest move makes up for it with its speed. 252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 168-200 (55.8 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and hail damage // 252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 162-192 (49.8 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and hail damage. Revenge killing is truly a dish best served cold. Earthquake is for coverage, greatly injuring Entei or Arcanine on the switch, and doing super effective damage to Empoleon and Mega Aggron. Finally there's Swords Dance, mainly used for extra damage on a predicted switch or a late game sweep against a weakened team. I chose this set because it is much more effective against Curselax which the team struggles with as well as Cresselia and Blissey.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Rest
  • Standard Crocune. Suicune's addition to the team is fairly obvious. Tank hits from any fire or water types the team can't handle and then retaliate with Scald. If the team is weakened enough, Calm Mind and watch the opposition fall. I don't really like Suicune as I've literally been burned by it in the past but its value was too much to pass up on. It compliments Abomasnow well and is one of the strongest Pokemon in the tier. Nuff said I guess.

Entei @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
  • Entei is the final piece of my classic fire/water/grass trio. Its main job is to wallbreak. Either killing off a pesky Forretress for Bumble, obliterating fairies for Hydreigon, or simply burning a threat like Gyarados on the switch, Entei does it all. Even Pokemon that resist fire have to take a second thought due to Sacred Fire's 50% burn chance and sheer force. Although its speed is not the greatest, Entei packs pure primal power with a 541 attack stat (boosted by an Adamant nature and Choice Band) allowing it to blow holes into many teams. Sacred Fire is your main STAB move however Flare Blitz is highly valued as a secondary. Sacred Fire despite a low PP and chance to miss still outshines Flare Blitz even though its more powerful. Flare Blitz also comes with nasty recoil, which makes Entei's survivability very slim. This move is only useful for clutch kills on Pokemon like Sylveon or other slow, physically weak Pokemon when Sacred Fire is simply impractical. Stone Edge is a great coverage move eliminating fire types such as opposing Entei, or flying types like Aerodactyl. With the exception of Sacred Fire, Extreme Speed is Entei's greatest asset. Being one of-if not the fastest priority move in the game, its great power and speed alone have won many a battle. The team as you will come to see is fairly slow, and being able to outpace weakened threats who may be trying to sweep, picking up clutch revenge KO's is superb and appreciated.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave

• As the team started to come together I began to search the tier for a suitable Stealth Rock user as well as a ground type. Nidoqueen fills both these roles while still being able to do a bit of wallbreaking herself. Ground/poison (bye bye Toxic Spikes) is incredible offensive typing which forces many switches. Nidoqueen, whilst not as powerful as Nidoking, can still pack a punch. 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 263-310 (76.4 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock // 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 177-211 (51.3 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock //252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 273-322 (73.3 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery. Nidoqueen is much bulkier than her male counterpart which is great for picking up clutch kills. 252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 237-280 (64.7 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. I run a bit more speed than the traditional set in order to avoid speed ties with rival Nidqueen, and out speed slower Mega Blastoise, Assault Vest Metagross, and Swampert. Modest nature maximizes the attacking power from her STAB moves in Earth Power and Sludge Wave, two extremely good moves that compliment each other quite well. Ice Beam is for coverage, a safe super effective move to hit Crobat or retaliate against Hydriegon with. Nidoqueen also acts as a soft check to Conk who for some reason isn't banned yet.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

• Hydreigon the Astro Monster returns to provide much needed speed, momentum, resistances, and strength. Valued resistances to common water, fire, grass, dark (for Sucker Punch mainly), electric, and an immunity to ground/psychic really help gel well with the team allowing Ghidorah to act as a pivot of sorts at times. As mentioned before: Hydreigon is the fastest dragon in the tier with a Choice Scarf. The Timid nature is to ensure the most speed possible and the moves are standard. Draco-Meteor and Dark Pulse are the main STAB moves doing massive damage to anything not a fairy type and Fire Blast takes care of Forretress and Aggron. If Nidoqueen doesn't lead Hydreigon will.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
  • The final member of the team is Forretress whose main duty is hazard control (and sponging High Jump Kicks). Thanks to incredible typing, Forretress can function as a switch in to pretty much any physical attacker Suicune cannot keep in check. Forretress thanks to Volt Switch can pivot out on any incoming threat to provide any one of its companions a clear, hazard free switch. Spikes are great for pressuring grounded Pokemon inflicting sometimes critical damage needed for a KO. Hazard stacking also pressures out the opponent's Defogger or Rapid Spinner which, with a clever double switch, can provide an ample opportunity to pick up a kill. Gyro Ball is the main STAB move inflicting sometimes massive damage to speedy Pokemon like Toxicroak or Espeon.

And that's all. I love making these RMTs because I enjoy your feedback. I ran into someone on the ladder who used one of my teams and made my day! This is a really fun team to use and is rather good. I want to bring more attention to underrated Mega Evolutions like Ampharos and Abomasnow. If anyone has any questions just leave a reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Have fun and enjoy!

Threats:
Import:
Bumble (Abomasnow) (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Rest

Entei @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Reactions: KW
Imo, switch Crocune with Kabutops.
Mega Adamamsnow is x4 weak to fire, causing most fire attacks to OHKO it. Kabutops is x4 resistant to fire, allowing it to counter the majority of fire types that can be used, such as choice band Entei, which can be easily setup upon with Swords Dance. Kabutops is x4 weak to grass, but is patched up with the presence of Entei and Adamasnow in the team. This makes Kabutops and Adamasnow a decent pair, helping each other body attacks, also with an additional fire type, is good. Also, since the core seems offense oriented, Kabutops, although NU, can continue the momentum generated by Adamasnow or Entei's sweep. Also, it has Rapid Spin, taking up the role of hazard removal.

Without Suicune, bodying physical attacks would be harder. Switch out Forretress with dual screens Cressila. Light Screen and Reflect make sweeping easier, and act as a pivot. Also, it has amazing defense. Although it does not have spikes, it is a better support when Suicune is gone. It sponges up High Jump Kick, too. Thus, Cressila would probably be a good option. Screens do not sound as bad an option as you might think. Also, Lunar Dance helps to bring back a weakened sweeper, which can almost always start a sweep with reflect/light screen.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Cresselia @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast

Just my opinion dont judge lel < edit: i only play ag, and i just said dont judge lel

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hi, this is a pretty solid team you have here.

• First off the spread on Nidoqueen should be changed to 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe. This allows Nidoqueen to outspeed Modest max speed Sylveon, which is a super important speed tier. You also go for 4 more EVs even, to creep that above standard Nidoqueen.
  • Next, don't use the above suggestions. Frankly they're pretty bad and you shouldn't take that advice.
  • Rest of the team looks pretty solid for right now, but you're pressured pretty hard by Special attackers, and CM Cresselia and Reuniclus can be a big problem. (Reuniclus less so, you can 2hko with CB Entei.) I don't have a solution for that right now, and it can be played around.
I didn't really change much, but as far as common threats go, the only one you're vulnerable is the above mentioned CM Cress. Sorry I don't have more stuff but I'm on mobile so it's pretty hard to analyze the team in depth

Reactions: KW
Hi, this is a pretty solid team you have here.

• First off the spread on Nidoqueen should be changed to 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe. This allows Nidoqueen to outspeed Modest max speed Sylveon, which is a super important speed tier. You also go for 4 more EVs even, to creep that above standard Nidoqueen.
  • Next, don't use the above suggestions. Frankly they're pretty bad and you shouldn't take that advice.
  • Rest of the team looks pretty solid for right now, but you're pressured pretty hard by Special attackers, and CM Cresselia and Reuniclus can be a big problem. (Reuniclus less so, you can 2hko with CB Entei.) I don't have a solution for that right now, and it can be played around.
I didn't really change much, but as far as common threats go, the only one you're vulnerable is the above mentioned CM Cress. Sorry I don't have more stuff but I'm on mobile so it's pretty hard to analyze the team in depth
Thank you for your response PinkDragonTamer , I really needed a new spread. I'm assuming with 128 speed I'll be faster than standard Mega Blastoise as well. Also yes, the team does struggle to beat many specially bulky Pokemon but i didn't list Cresselia or Reuniclus because they are both pretty fairly dealt with by a combination of Entei and Hydreigon as you mentioned. So far, Curselax has been the biggest threat because Thick Fat + Rest renders Sacred Fire useless. I mostly just SD with Abomasnow and then suicide with Wood Hammer, allowing usually Hydreigon or Nidoqueen to revenge. Thanks again and enjoy.

Imo, switch Crocune with Kabutops.
Mega Adamamsnow is x4 weak to fire, causing most fire attacks to OHKO it. Kabutops is x4 resistant to fire, allowing it to counter the majority of fire types that can be used, such as choice band Entei, which can be easily setup upon with Swords Dance. Kabutops is x4 weak to grass, but is patched up with the presence of Entei and Adamasnow in the team. This makes Kabutops and Adamasnow a decent pair, helping each other body attacks, also with an additional fire type, is good. Also, since the core seems offense oriented, Kabutops, although NU, can continue the momentum generated by Adamasnow or Entei's sweep. Also, it has Rapid Spin, taking up the role of hazard removal.

Without Suicune, bodying physical attacks would be harder. Switch out Forretress with dual screens Cressila. Light Screen and Reflect make sweeping easier, and act as a pivot. Also, it has amazing defense. Although it does not have spikes, it is a better support when Suicune is gone. It sponges up High Jump Kick, too. Thus, Cressila would probably be a good option. Screens do not sound as bad an option as you might think. Also, Lunar Dance helps to bring back a weakened sweeper, which can almost always start a sweep with reflect/light screen.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Cresselia @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast

Just my opinion dont judge lel < edit: i only play ag, and i just said dont judge lel
Thank you for your response Yolocat 10. Unfortunately, even with a four times resistance to fire, Kabutops simply does not have the utility that Suicune offers. This is mostly due to the fact that Kabutops is very frail, meaning it can't take hits very well, and if burned by Sacred Fire, (Entei's main STAB move) is essentially useless. Suicune however takes very little damage from fire type attacks and in return can Rest to heal, Calm Mind to sweep, or Scald to damage. Also, removing Forretress puts too much pressure on Kabutops, who usually thrives on Rain Hyper Offense, of which this is not. Forretress also offers more survivability and bulk, which means it can spin longer and has more opportunities to do so. Dual Screens Cress may sound ideal, however it does not have a place on this team, where the roles are all filled. Adding another bulky, slow Pokemon (without the momentum of Volt Switch that Forretress provides) would be more of a liability to the team. Your opinion is noted, not judged. Thanks again for your response!

Hey cool team, just a quick thought that you might want to use roarcune (roar over sleeptalk) to help improve your matchup with bulky curses like snorlax and calm minders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)