VGC From 0 to 60 in 1.2 seconds - SemiRoom Speed Control

Okay, while I enjoyed my HailRoom team a lot, it’s performance was a very mixed bag. While it did great on the first day of the International Challenge, it did so badly the second day that I ended with a record of 11-9 and most of those losses were massacres. So, after some thought, I decided to try to build a SemiRoom team instead. This was mostly built in my head when I was swimming, so it likely has some flaws. I’ve separated the team into three segments with two Pokémon each: the core group (the two I always bring into battle), the slow group (the ones meant for Trick Room), and the fast group (the ones not meant for Trick Room). I just look at my opponent’s team and I pick which mode would be best and I bring the appropriate group for that mode and the core group.

So here it is:

Core Group:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

What is there to say about Mega Kangaskhan that hasn’t already been said? It’s powerful, bulky, has a great moveset, and is just great. It’s Speed is good enough that it can handle both Slow and Fast mode with great ease. To prevent it from being too fast for Slow Mode, I’ve invested in HP instead of Speed and gave her and Adamant nature to max out the damage output. Fake Out is the standard opening move and helps deal extra damage, make Mega Evolving even easier, and helps out Slowbro in setting up Trick Room. I went with Return for the main STAB over Double-Edge since I’m the kind of person who avoids recoil moves when possible. I like my Pokémon to be bulky and recoil messes that up. Low Kick is a very good coverage move and has brought many a Hydreigon and Mamoswine to its knees. To round off the set with a winning combination of coverage and priority, there’s good ol’ Sucker Punch.​

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

There’s even less to be said about Rotom-Wash than there is for Mega Kangaskhan for this is a very standard set. I mean, this is the same set I used for my first attempt to get into VGC last year and I saw it recommended by high ranking players for this format just this month (June 2015). Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump for wrecking things, Will-O-Wisp to cripple things, and Protect to keep it safe from the opponent, as well as Dragalge’s Sludge Wave.

Slow Mode:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Scald
- Flamethrower

Good ol’ Slowbro. The biggest problem my HailRoom team had was Taunt. My Jellicent would get Taunted, then my team would be torn apart. It was terrible. So I decided that I needed to prepare for it and there are only two Pokémon that have both Trick Room and Oblivious, and that is Slowbro and Slowking. I went with Slowbro since it’s superior Defense would prove very useful, able to take Knock Off and Fake Out better than Jellicent. Scald is for both offense and defense and Flamethrower is for coverage. I am considering Psyshock instead of Scald, but I love Flamethrower too much to consider anything other than Fire Blast. No one ever sees it coming.
I am also considering switching Rotom’s Sitrus Berry with Slowbro’s​

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Now here’s the oddball in my team. So, I was just swimming, trying to think of a good Pokemon to be the second Slow member of the team. Then, I remember this thing and its terrible/amazing base 44 Speed along with Adaptability Draco Meteor. With Choice Specs, anything that isn’t Steel or Fairy is going to cry...if it survives. Sludge Wave is another powerful STAB, perfect for taking out Fairies and Grass-types that dare stand in my way. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball are there for coverage, which is highly needed as both STABs have immunites to worry about (Klefki laughs at poor Dragalge).

Fast Mode:

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect

Speed Control is important on this team. Slowbro helps my Slow ‘mons and Talonflame helps out the rest, all thanks to priority Tailwind. Combined with Brave Bird and Flare Blitz for offense, not much is going to like this bird.
I’m considering switching out Protect for Roost, but I don’t know how well it will work for this EV spread. I’m also considering alternate spreads and items as long as it sets up Tailwind and has some offensive power.​

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Ah, the classic monster of Generation IV, continuing to wreck everything. Garchomp is a standard Garchomp, with everything aimed at hurting my opponent with STAB Dragon Claw, STAB Earthquake, and Rock Slide, allowing me to hit every Pokémon in the entire game for at least neutral damage. Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin combined make it an enemy for opposing Mega Kangaskhan and any other physical attacker.​

The most common leads are Kangaskhan and Slowbro. The plan for Fast Mode leads is Kanga and Talonflame, but I’ve only used Fast Mode once so far, so I don’t know that part of the team very well yet. The other common lead combination is Kangaskhan and Dragalge. I use that combination when my opponent appears to be Trick Room.

Now, some of these EV spreads I had to come up with myself since I couldn’t find anything...okay, I was lazy and wanted to get this tested so I didn’t look very hard.

No overall weakness has popped up as of the writing of this RMT.

I’m currently doing test battles in batches of ten a day until I am certain this is ready. The record after one day of testing:
Slow Mode: 5-4
Fast Mode: 1-0
Total: 6-4
Not the best of records, but all of them were at least close ones, so that alone is an improvement.

As always, do not recommend Legendary Pokémon. For me, it is too much of a pain and I don’t want to go through all that effort and find out that I wasted my time and potentially the Legend itself. Don’t try to argue with me on this point. I’ll be willing to listen to other suggestions.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You do realize some people literally give away legitimate flawless legendary Pokemon right

Smogon's VGC board even gives away a free legendary every week for participating in one of its tournaments

Eren Swaeger

Banned deucer.
This team looks too reliant on tailwind and relies too much on talonflame. In vgc, it's best to not rely on one main thing. Your team looks like it has potential for rain + tailwind. And due to this team focusing on tailwind a bit too much, mega gurad is a huge threat.

This team looks too reliant on tailwind and relies too much on talonflame. In vgc, it's best to not rely on one main thing. Your team looks like it has potential for rain + tailwind. And due to this team focusing on tailwind a bit too much, mega gurad is a huge threat.
It's not fully reliant on Tailwind. I either send in:
Slowbro (with Trick Room, Dragalge, Rotom-Wash and Mega Kangaskhan
or
Talonflame, Garchomp, Rotom-Wash and Mega Kangaskhan

That's the whole idea behind this team.
Also, what's "mega gurad"?

Eren Swaeger

Banned deucer.
It's not fully reliant on Tailwind. I either send in:
Slowbro (with Trick Room, Dragalge, Rotom-Wash and Mega Kangaskhan
or
Talonflame, Garchomp, Rotom-Wash and Mega Kangaskhan

That's the whole idea behind this team.
Also, what's "mega gurad"?
I meant mega gyrados. Autocorrect changed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)