OU Functional sweeper

In this generation pokemon are really defensive, while the various attackers seems almost unable to do decent damage. Attackers like Tauros RBY or Aerodactyl ADV I found none. I found the bulky sweeper as Curse Lax and Growth Vaporeon. Curse Machamp is another potential but does not have the resistance of the first two. Marowak with Agility Pass can do damage but already we need a lot of support.

What are the sweeper of this generation? What's offensive this generation?

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
If you are able to setup with Bellyzard is a big potential sweeper that can destroy the whole team with the help of spikes and carrying on of the checks.

Also bombing in this gen is pretty powerful, so you might consider that.

Marowak is the only SDer viable(there is Tentacruel and Sandslash but.. xD). So there isn't anything else as a functional sweeper, the only thing apart is Curse, but phazing being here, it's difficult to setup to +6 and destroy everything without being phazed or critted.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Your best bet at a sweep is AgiPass. Or Charizard. Clefable can also clean up nicely. As can DrumLax in a stall v. stall matchup. Or CurseLax when it's the last mon. GrowthVap also has a pretty good chance at the sweep when Electrics are gone. Tentacruel and Machamp are more wallbreakers than true sweepers in my experience, mostly because they don't really OHKO much after a boost, just do enough to kill 2-3 mons before dying themselves.

You could also go for a Mean Look Pass + CurseLax sweep. Or do a Growthpass Eeveelution chain; having Moltres or Entei be the recipient of a bunch of Growth boosts and maybe an AA or two is pretty bangin.

Generally, though, you're better off using wallbreakers than sweepers, because everything is a wall. That means using mixed attackers like Nidoking and using moves like Explosion.

At the moment all my team are based on Vaporeon and Snorlax with various baits (Explosion) to electric (Zapdos and Raikou).

The mixed sweeper are Nidoking, Zapdos 3 attacks, Tyranitar, Gengar? Are there others?

Growth pass is a good strategy? Who is better to implement it?

But the cleaner in this generation there are none?

I do a lot of questions because I want to play something more strategic than traditional Boom team in this generation. Many thanks for the help you are giving me :)

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
This might help you: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/general-roles-compendium.3557945/#post-6557401
Or in extense way, the GSC's Guide by Borat http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/past-gens-resource-archive-ii.3509218/#post-5522689

Almost every team in GSC needs:
  • Snorlax
  • 1 or even 2 answer to Lax
  • Electric Type
  • Spikes control
  • Phazer
  • Wincons
I might forget something but in short terms is that.

GrowthPass is good with Vaporeon/Espeon, AgilPass with Jolteon
And no, there isn't cleaners here

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The mixed sweeper are Nidoking, Zapdos 3 attacks, Tyranitar, Gengar? Are there others?
That's kinda a question on how you define sweeper. The mixed attackers in this gen are mostly used to break walls, not to actually "sweep". When building a team in gsc you are usually not narrowing down the roles of your pokemon to do one thing. Let's take Zapdos for example, if you boom on raikou and lax beforehand your zapdos is sweeping, if you use it to switch into exeggutor to absorb a sleep powder and swing the tempo into your direction it's a pivot. If you use it to stall out a nidoking it's a wall. If you critpara their raikou so you can win is it a wallbreaker? Like Jorgen said, everything is a wall, everything has defensive capabilities that you will usually need to make use of, that's why there are no real dedicated sweepers in this tier (zard and others that are named are boarderline exceptions).

There are many viable mixed attackers that can potentially sweep on top of the ones you named. Mixlax, Machamp (fireblast); Exeggutor, Cloyster (explosion); Clefable, Charizard, etc.

Growth pass is a good strategy? Who is better to implement it?
It's viable. Vaporeon, Jolteon and Espeon are the usual passers, everything that has special attacks and wants them to be stronger is a potential reciever. I see Zapdos being the main reciever usually, the possibilities here are very broad though.

But the cleaner in this generation there are none?
Like I mentioned above, teambuilding isn't as narrow that you can say "this is the pokemon that i kill everything with in the end". There aren't many typical cleaners, it's mostly about breaking the opponents team. You can call drumlax a cleaner, you can call it a wallbreaker, you can call it utility and you can call it a wall, it usually ends up doing most of those roles in every battle. This just applies to almost everything in gsc.

I do a lot of questions because I want to play something more strategic than traditional Boom team in this generation.
What do you define as "more strategic"? Is wearing the opponents key mons down with spikes, status, etc more strategic than killing them with explosion? I have really no idea what you mean by that, there are many offensive strategies you can try, paralysis + belly drum, spikes + mixed attackers, explosion, baton pass, spikes + toxic + offensive pressure, setup mons with proper support, ... Just toy around and find the strategies that fit your playstyle the most.

I intended strategies more profitable or safe then boom, because if you miss the target you move away from the victory.

What is a pivot?

In summary, there is no sweeper.
Depending on the pokemon that goes to KO you first start to do damage to someone.
To put pressure on a very defensive Pokemon to send him to KO are the Spikes and status.
Thanks.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I intended strategies more profitable or safe then boom, because if you miss the target you move away from the victory.
You should try some of the ideas mentioned then, maybe try building a team around a solid defensive core with the aim of supporting a certain pokemon breaking the opponent's team (like Snorlax). Using exposion teams does force you to make big decisions as a misexplosion can cost you the game pretty quickly, you usually try to make up for that by having several ways to get rid of key pokemon (for example if your team relies on machamp winning you will have more than one pokemon that can take out starmie. usually cloyster, eggy, steelix, muk, etc as they can also target other pokemon that are problematic for machamp). This is where the difference between proactive and reactive teams comes in. A team that pressures the opponent is always connected to a certain risk, a team that just relies on defense will need very specific situations to close out a game in time. Most teams have elements of both in them anyways.

What is a pivot?
taken from the old pokemon dictionary article:
"A pivot is a Pokemon that is generally only used for switching. Due to good defensive stats and a solid defensive typing, they can usually take little damage as they switch in, and the opposing switch they force allows the player to switch again safely to another Pokemon. An offensive pivot will force a switch by threatening KO on the opponent, thus obtaining momentum, whereas a defensive pivot will be difficult to break past, and thus will slow the opponent's momentum."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)