XY OU Funk Volume 2014 (First RMT)

- The Squad -

Hey guys, so this is my first ever RMT on Smogon :o I normally like to play stall, but I decided to start experimenting with things and finally came up with this ... I'm quite proud of this team seeing as it's the first one i've made myself :3 so please, enjoy the read and leave some constructive criticism about my my team :) (p.s My pokemon are named after members of my favourite group of rappers - Funk Volume).

First Squad Member

Kato (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
~ Heal Bell
~ Seismic Toss
~ Toxic
~ Soft-Boiled

Chansey's role is pretty much standard - tank Special hits, cure everyone's status, heal itself and maybe chuck a toxic at someone and if i'm REALLY lucky, I get to use this fat fgts seismic toss. Natural Cure of course, what else. Nature is once again, standard. I kinda rely heavily on Chansey because if my Pokes gets statused they're pretty much ruined, so that heal bell is oh so essential. I'm unsure if she is the right cleric for this type of team, so i'm keen to hear other peoples opinions on whether I should keep her or not :)

Second Squad Member

DJ Hoppa (Shuckle) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Nature: Calm (+Def, -Atk)
~ Sticky Web
~ Stealth Rock
~ Toxic
~ Encore/Infestation

I normally lead with Shuckle or Sableye depending on what the enemy team has - if there are no 'Taunt' users in sight I lead with the turtle. Sturdy guarantees that he gets a sticky web up and the leftovers can sometimes recover him enough HP to stay in and put up some rocks and toxic. I love to use the web because it helps slow the enemy team down so my slower Poke's have a bit of an advantage. I'm still debating wether to use encore or infestation. Encore is good to lock something like Garchomp or Scizor into swords dancing and then forcing them to switch, or they stay in and I switch and destroy them with Manectric. Infestation is also handy to trap Pokemon that I can easily take out by switching out once they're trapped - for example, if an offensive threat comes in I normally switch out to a counter or into Sableye to get a burn and knock off. Suggestions on witch move to choose would be very handy :)

Third Squad Member

Jarren Benton (Sableye) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability:Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Nature: Careful (+ SpD, -SpA)
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Recover
~ Knock Off
~ Taunt

Sableye is always my lead if I see an opposing Sableye on the other team. I can normally outspeed with my 8 EV's invested in speed and get a Taunt off, which normally ruins my opponents plans. WoW is there for obvious reasons, not only is it priority but it also renders most offensive threats as useless. Recover for that priority HP restoration and knock off to get rid of things like Chansey's Eviolite. I really like Sableye on this team because it gives me a diversity in which what I want to start my Battle, and it's also quite the pesky little troll :) <3

Fourth Squad Member

Hopsin (Manectric) (M) Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Timid (+ Spe, -Atk)
~ Thunderbolt
~ Volt-Switch
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Flamethrower

My mega - and possibly my fav pokemon ever. This thing has insane speed and special attack, add a sticky web and some rocks and you have a potential sweeper. It's always fun to switch him into an electric attack, get the SpA boost and just go to work. I use vol-switch for momentum and thunderbolt if I think i'm guarnteed a k.o. HP ice is for when a cheeky bugger thinks he can switch a ground pokemon into my baby (they cant) and flamethrower is to demolish any grass and steel types ballsy enough to take me on, particularlly magnezone and excadrill. EVs and nature are to maximise K.O potential and speed creep other Manectrics.

Fifth Squad Member

Dizzy Wright (Vileplume) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Nature: Calm (+ SpD, -Atk)
~ Moonlight
~ Infestation
~ Giga Drain/Toxic
~ Teeter Dance

This thing man, omg. It's single handily carried me to victory numerous times. The infestation is a killer, keeps them trapped for ages and takes a chunk load of health to be quite honest. Then teeter dance is a guaranteed confusion which is a hazard seeing as they'll be stuck for 4-5 turns. I normally combine those two moves after i've encored a Scizor or something into Swords Dancing, if he hits himself he destroys himself hahaha oh yes the pleasure. Still debating on weather or not I should have Giga or Toxic, I normally run Toxic because he's already restoring health with Black Sludge and then there's moonlight as well (very handy). Ev's help me tank some Special hits really well and yea, that's my Vileplume :3

Sixth Squad Member

SwizZz (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Nature: Gentle (+ SpD, -Def)
~ Lava Plume
~ Stealth Rock
~ Toxic
~ Iron Head

The last member of this Squad is ma homie Heatran. The bro tanks anything it isn't weak to and is super handy when someone try's to hit my baby Vileplume with a fire attack #FlashFrire. Move set is prety generic, back up SR setter, iron head to deal with Clefable and his other Fairy mates. Lava Plume after the FF boost is a killer, love dat sh*t. Toxic comes in handy alot of the time, always ruins peoples days. Ev's a pretty basic, makes it a tank and the ev's in attack give iron head that much needed boost.

So there it is, my first ever RMT. I do hope that you enjoyed it :) please feel free to leave some tips and stuff, rather new at this so I need all the help I can get :) p.s if you do decide to try this out, using the nicknames would mean alot :)

on your heatran why would you run gentle over calm? also why iron over flash cannon and no hazard removal
also vileplume is outclassed by mega venusaur, but since you already have your mega slot i guess not

Chansey: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD is a better spread because it takes full advantage of the Eviolite

Shuckle: Use a Mental Herb on Shuckle as a 1-time cure for taunt so you can be sure to get your hazards off.

Sableye: Looks fine to me.

Manetric: This thing is frail and has no way to raise its special attack, so Overheat > Flamethrower. Flamethrower fails to OHKO Excadrill, who will OHKO back.

Vileplume: I have no idea how well this works. Seems like it's still outclassed by Amoongus

Heatran: Use a calm nature and either Protect or Earth Power over Iron Head.

You have five pokes that are specially defensive, with no physically defensive poke in sight. This is very worrying because a strong physical attacker could set up and sweep your whole team, especially DDers who become faster than Manectric. ZardX kills you easily because Sableye can't burn him and he resists all of Manectric's moves. You need something to take physical attacks.

Since you use Shuckle with Sticky Web, you are very vulnerable to flyers coming in and simply defogging all your hazards away. Adding a Defiant abuser like Thundurus or Bisharp could deter your opponent from using Defog.

You also don't have a way to remove entry hazards from your side. Defog probably wouldn't work well because you don't want to go into Shuckle again (or it could have fainted already), so a spinner like Excadrill could work well.

Iron Head on Heatran in quite bad. Using Earth Power, Lava Plume and even Flash Canon would be better.

Also, I realise that this team is weak to Thundurus-I, with Prankster Taunt outspeeding all your pokemon and being able to taunt them.

EDIT: Whoops, thanks Gannex

Last edited:
Iron Head on Heatran in quite bad. Using Earth Power, Lava Plume and even Flash Canon would be better.

Also, I realise that this team is weak to Thundurus-T, with Prankster Taunt outspeeding all your pokemon and being able to taunt them.
Minor correction, it's Thundurus-I with Prankster, not Thundurs-T

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)