FWG-Core: Stallish Sandstorm-Team

Hi everbody,

after lurking around the forums for quite some time I've finally decided to register and post a RMT, since my teams tend to have huge flaws that I don't recognize and and that I also can't fix -.-

So without further ado to the team:

Basically I wanted to try a sandstorm team, because I've always liked that concept of wearing down your opponent and finally cleaning him up with a powerful sweeper.

So I started with Tyranitar:

I then wanted to immediately check one of the biggest menaces I've encountered in BW: Excadrill. Adding Gliscor was the logical step.

While we are at Excadrill: remember the powerful Cleaner? Yep:

So I had three spots left. I always had decent results with FWG cores. The grass type was fix: Ferrothorn was too good to pass.

There also aren't that many viable fire types, so Heatran was also a given.

When I was looking for a good water type, I considered Jellicent. But then I went with one of my alltime favourites: Gyarados.

Now we'll take a closer look

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Speed
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

The all-important Weather-Inducer. I went with Tyranitar, because he could easily kill Latios and Reuniclus. Also because he looks totally badass. C'mon, he's a freaking Stone Dinosaur!
I've decided to change him to a ScarfTar, as Oblivion IX and LK told me. This has worked out quite good, the Increase in Power and most notably Speed helps. I sometimes miss the Special Bulk, but in most situations, ScarfTar does better.

Excadrill (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Only one word can really describe this little mole: MONSTER! Excadrill sweeps so easy that it's almost ridiculous. He's often my MVP. But because of this legendary status, Gliscor and Skarmory pop up everywhere, making it harder to use him.
The Evs and moveset are standard for a reason: Power&Speed to the max, rest dumped into Hp.
Swords Dance for incredible power, EQ as STAB, Rock Slide for Flyers, X-Scissor against grass types, Lati@s, Hydreigon.

I've tried Rapid Spin, but I'm absolutely hating it. Scarfed Hydreigons have really been trolling me without X-Scissor, plus I'm always kind of reluctant to risk Excadrill in mid-game...5 moveslots would be just awesome :-D

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

Speaking of Gliscors popping up...this thing is so good. My insurance against fighting types and small moles.
Like all my movesets and Evs, they are ripped of the analysis as I'm no good at Eving...-.-
So the EVs do what they do (I honestly don't know why 72 Speed, it's not on the analysis). The moves help it set up with Taunt and SD, and then proceed to kill stuff. EQ is such a great STAB...but its kind of a shame that Gliscor has to rely on Ice Fang. While I absolutely hate its stupid 95 accuracy and low base power, it's still the best Ice move for 'Cor.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

First part of the FWG core, doing just fine. It checks so many things, hurting them with Iron Barbs, Gyro Ball and Power Whip, setting up spikes and healing with Leech Seed. The EVs give it huge bulk on both sides. I can't really say much about Ferrothorn, other than it usually does nothing against sun teams and sometimes gets trapped by Magnezone, which kinda rapes me...

If Heatran will be replaced by Latias, Stealth Rocks will replace Spikes to keep Flying Dragons and Volcarona at bay.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is the second part of the core, checking sun teams great. Other than that, he's often underwhelming
Evs give him huge special bulk. Lava Plume for burns, Toxic against bulky waters. Protect helps me to scout (thanks BKC, I feel kinda stupid for not doing this myself...). Stealth Rock because it's needed.
Hmm, I'm running out of things to say. Next 'mon!

might be replaced by

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Speed
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Substitute

Latias is a great Set-up Sweeper. I prefer Sub over Roar against annoying status. Again, I'd love to have 5 moveslots here...

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Ahh, RestTalk Gyara...This badass is really great for shuffling, racking up hazard damage. Unfortunately, RNG has a talent for sending in the worst enemy possible, but that's just my luck :-D
Evs for physical bulk along with Intimidate. RestTalk for healing off damage, Waterfall for STAB and Roar over Dragon Tail against Subs. Stealth Rocks tend to wreck this guy, but we'll deal with that in the Problems Section. Other then that, I'm pleased how well Gyara does.

Problems of the team:

• Me. Overprediction and Misclicks often wreck me, just as thinking „Nah, [opponent] wouldn't do that“
  • Lack of Spinner/Spin Blocker. I've tried to change the team, but I always lack somethiung afterwards. I need you guys to help me out.
  • Skarmory/Gliscor: I hate them (unless I play them, of course). Especially Skarmory tends to completely wall me, sets up spikes and then goes to town with me...HELP! Maybe Fire Blast on Ttar?
  • Rain/Thunderus: my least favourite opponents. Thunderus is really annoying since he can hit my complete team for SE damage. Rain is also annoying since Ferrothorn and Gyara tend to break under the pressure. But that probably falls under the first point.

So, I hope you can help me improve that team to a point where I can succeed with it decently. I don't really intend to get to the first page (I have Challenge Cup for that :-P), but I want to stand a chance against normal opponents.

Greetings RedFang (awesome band, check them out!)

I don't have all that much experience, but you could maybe try a magnezone somewhere. I can't think of anyone who takes out steel types like skarmory better. Also, from what I've heard there have been a lot of people dropping X-scissor off of their excadrills for other moves, so you could try that.

Hey RedFang, this is a cool team and you can solve all of the problems mentioned in your RMT without having to change much. First of all, you should try changing Tyranitar's set to the Choice Scarf variant as this will give you a check to Thundurus along with Lati@s, Starmie, and SD Terrakion. You'll want to use a Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk) nature for the maximum speed along with an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd. As for the moveset use Crunch l Pursuit l Superpower l Stone Edge so that you can KO all of the aforementioned threats.

You don't have to even replace a Pokemon to gain a spinner. Just use Rapid Spin on Excadrill in place of X-Scissor. He can still sweep effectively with EQ and Rock Slide as Psychc-types will fall to either one of those moves at +2. There's no need to worry too much about the loss of coverage as the only thing you truly lost as a way to break through Bronzong.

Finally, if you're looking for a spinblocker then you could try using Jellicent in place of Gyarados. It maintains the Water-typing so you won't be gaining too many extra weakness and works exceptionally well with Ferrothorn. Use a Bold (+Def, -Atk) nature along with an EV spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd. Leftovers is the item of choice and the moveset should be Scald l Taunt l Recover l Toxic. I hope these changes help you out. Good team and good luck.

This looks like a good team, you have all weather types covered. However the threats I see problematic are, Calm Mind Reuniclus, Calm Mind Virizion, Taunt / W-o-W Jellicent, and Rotom-W. Reuniclus and Virizion can set-up on Ferrothorn, then threaten to sweep with boosted hits. Tyranitar can't take out Reuniclus in one hit, while going down to boosted Focus Blast. Jellicent can cripple Gyarados and Ferrothorn with Taunt + W-o-W, while Rotom-W can hit all your members hard with its STABs, bar Ferrothorn who gets burned by W-o-W.

CM Latias over Heatran should solve your weakness to all of these threats. I suggest Latias a lot because it fits really well with teams just like yours. Basically, Latias can set-up alongside Reuniclus and Virizion, pHazing the former, while taking the latter out with your Psychic- attack of choice. Jellicent and Rotom-W are also set-up fodder, Jellicent is slower than you, so its Taunt doesn't bother you too much. Latias can also sweep late game, and it tends to lure in threats such as Tyranitar, which Excadrill can scare off to set-up on, and Latias can scare off Gliscor and Rotom-W, common checks to Excadrill. In addition to this, Latias can spread residual damage through Roar, you have entry hazards but no pHazer to spread the damage. With Heatran gone, you can put Stealth Rock over Gyro Ball or Power Whip on Ferrothorn, since Ferrothorn doesn't need both moves to check threats.

With Heatran gone, you can try a Choice Scarf Tyranitar over your current set. Your current set is a bit werid, it does handle Lati@s, but so does the Scarf variant, outside of that, your current Tyranitar isn't getting much done with T-Wave (since most Tyranitar switch-ins are ground- types anyway) and an uninvested Superpower doesn't hit much hard. Scarf Tyranitar is a great way to surprise and take out Ninetails who attempt to burn Tyranitar, so Sun will be easily checked, which is necessary with Heatran removed. Latias is also OHKOed, since no 4 Atk Tyranitar can't OHKO Latias with Crunch, threats such as DD Scrafty and Thundurus can be revenged too, without relying on Excadrill, and saving it for late game. Additionally, for Gyarados, you can try Rapid Spin over X-Scissor on Excadrill, as it lets Gyarados switch in back and forth easier to take on troublesome foes such as RP Landorus, and you have NP Celebi covered with Latias and Scarftar, so X-Scissor shouldn't be too necessary. Skarmory also gets set-up opportunities on your team, so you can pretty much put all its hard work to waste.

Movesets:

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Speed
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Roar
---

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Speed
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
---

GL

Your only check to rain teams is Ferrothorn and he's fairly shaky thanks to the presence of Thundurus / Tornadus, plus you're in a world of trouble if Politoed nails you on the switch with a Specs Focus Blast. Gastrodon would work excellently on this team; he counters rain very well and gives you a solid Thundurus counter, in or outside of rain - right now you have to rely on Excadrill to revenge it, which isn't too reliable.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers | Calm | Storm Drain | EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Scald | Ice Beam | Recover | Toxic / Earth Power

As for some more minor changes, I'd try Protect over Sub on Heatran. It's a specially defensive set, so you want to be extending its longevity, not shortening it. Protect works just as well as Sub does in conjunction with Toxic but lets you gain health and scout choice users such as Specs Latios or Scarf Landorus. Lastly, try Rapid Spin over X-Scissor on Excadrill; the latter is really only useful for Celebi, who you have covered between Tyranitar and Heatran, while RS extends your team's longevity alot since you won't be getting bothered by hazards - key since half your team is Skarmory bait. and No ghost type really wants to switch in on Excadrill for fear of being 2HKO'd by Earthquake, making the spin nearly guaranteed.

Good luck with the team.

Thanks for all the rates, I've tried them out:
- changed Ttar to the scarf set: sometimes works great, but the drop in bulk is really annoying. He also doesn't do well against Reuniclus...maybe I play him wrong.

- changed Gyara for Gastrodon: that didn't really do well for me. He works great against Rain Teams, but they've really started using HP Grass against him. Other then that, he's often Set-up-Bait for Reuniclus. A
With the lack of a status absorber, I've found myself very vulnerable to burns. Nothing in my team likes them, because I

-changed Heatran for CM/Roar Latias: I've tried that set before, but I hated it. Latias always ended up being statused. So I changed Roar for Sub, but that makes my team even more vulnerable to set-up, especially Reuniclus.

So I've decided to keep Gyara, which really helps against Scrafty and against status.

Rates are welcome...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)