XY OU G.E.M. Core Team (First RMT pls halp)

Hey! So, I've frequented the smogon forums for a long time, and I only recently decided to delve into team building. I noticed I could make a very nice core with Excadrill, Gyarados, and Mega Manectric. Sort of like a F/W/G core, these three counter each others weaknesses very well. So anyway, lets jump in!

The team at a Glance

The Team In-Depth
The Kill-Everythingers:

Excadrill @ Life Orb Air Balloon As suggested by Rob.
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance Rapid Spin As suggested by Rob.
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

After a Swords Dance or two, Excadrill cuts through teams like rubber. Combined with the Life Orb, not much can withstand his might. Earthquake destroys Electric types, that are usually outsped by Excadrill after Sand Rush. Rock Slide provides a way of killing flying types if Manectric can't, and is especially useful against things like Talonflame and Char Y. Bug types like Scolipede, even after one Protect/Speed Boost,(which can be used to Swords Dance) are also outsped and countered. While this set doesn't utilize Rapid Spin, Mew can Defog any annoying hazards. Overall, Excadrill is a very solid pokemon.
EDIT: Following the Suggestions by Rob. I removed SD for Rapid Spin and Life Orb for Air Balloon as that would allow room for Taunt on Mew which would be useful for stallbreaking, and Air Balloon to give it a pseudo Ground Immunity. Thanks!

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Bulldoze Bounce As Suggested by Rob.

Kinda like Excadrill, after a Dragon Dance or two, Gyarados is a monser to behold. The Nature means he hits for max powe, and the Leftovers are just to heal itself a bit, really. Avalanche can check Dragon Types, and are great after switch-ins because if they hit, Avalanche is going to hit a lot harder. Waterfall provides STAB and a useful flinch chance, and Bulldoze has decent coverage and also lowers opponent's speed, which can be extremely useful.
EDIT: Rob. also suggested removing Bulldoze for a STAB Bounce. I thought this was a good idea as with DD Lowering Speed was not very important.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The final piece of the G.E.M. core, Manectric is very fast and really adds to the team. Outspeeding virtually everything, it hits really hard, especially with Thunderbolt. It checks fly-spam as well as Tyranitar, and can use Volt Switch for some decent damage and to get out if it's in a bad situation. Flamethrower provides very nice coverage, killing grass types that would otherwise be a problem, and HP Ice also has some nice coverage, killing Garchomp, Dragonite, and other Dragon Types. It also doesn't really need anything to set up unlike the other two and can start killing teams straight away. Overall, It fits in very nicely.

The Support

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 220 HP / 24 Atk / 196 Def / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch Fire Blast as suggested by Rob.

Tyranitar's main job is providing sand for Excadrill, but it is also very useful at pursuit trapping stuff like Gengar and the Lati twins. The EVs are just to make sure it has enough bulk to survive a while, and also so that its attacks do decent damage. It can set up SR which can be very useful, and alongside Manectric is a Bird Spam check. Ice Punch has very nice coverage and is very useful, especially against Dragon Types like Garchomp and Dragonite Rock Slide has STAB and hits pretty hard.
EDIT: Rob. also suggested Fire Blast over Ice Punch to take care of Ferrothorn.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

Basically your standard Wish Passing Chansey set. Soft Boiled is a reliable way of healing itself and proves very useful. Wish can get any of it's teammates back to basically full health. Seismic Toss can reliably chip away at opponents, and Heal Bell gets rid of annnoying Burns and Toxics. Eviolite just to add bulk, blah blah blah, you get the idea. The Nature boosts Defense, which is useful, and lowers attack, which Chnasey doesnt really need.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Atk / 104 Def / 24 SpD / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog Taunt As Suggested by Rob. and Dokkerich
- Zen Headbutt Soft-Boiled As Suggested by Rob.
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off

The final member! Mew adds a way to get rid if hazards and to impair physical attackers with will o wisp. Knock Off is actually really useful and get rids of annoying items. Zen Headbutt provides a STAB, with the attack Evs making sure it does decent damage. The rest of the Evs just add general bulk and speed, and the nature makes sure it isn't hit that hard from physical attacks. Overall, he really helps out.
EDIT:Another suggestion by Rob. was to replace ZH with Soft Boiled so Mew could heal itself, and now that Excadrill has Rapid Spin, to replace Defog with Taunt so I could mess up stallers like Chansey/Blissey or Skarmory. This opinion was shared by Dokkerich.

Thanks guys! I hope you like my team!

Last edited:
Hey this is a decent team. I just have a few suggestions that should help your team function better. This first would be to change Excadrill's set to the common Sand Rush Rapid Spin + 3 Attack set. Excadrill will have a hard time boosting its Attack and performing a sweep because of its weakness to common priority attacks (Aqua Jet / Mach Punch). Giving up Rapid Spin's valuable utility for a situational boosting move isn't exactly giving yourself the best chance to win. Also consider using an Air Balloon instead of a Life Orb to give it a pseudo Ground immunity, this will help it when it wants to spin against mon's who need to use ground attacks to KO it, like Garchomp, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, .. etc. Rapid Spin is much better than Defog because it only removes hazards on your side of the field, it will save you a lot of trouble because you won't have to constantly re-set rocks.

The next change would be to swap Bulldoze for Bounce on Gyarados. I'm not sure what you want to hit with Bulldoze that isn't smashed by Gyarados's STAB Bounce or Waterfall attacks. Gyarados will be boosting its own speed so using Bulldoze instead of Gyarados's STAB is a bit weird. Avalanche is sort of out there but it does allow Gyarados to check Dragons so I guess it's fine. This team also has trouble dealing with Ferrothorn, using Fire Blast > Ice Punch on Tyranitar would help when facing Ferrothorn since Ttar lures it. Since Excadrill is now the hazard remover you can use Taunt instead of Defog on Mew to annoy supporting mon's like Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. You should also use Softboiled over Zen Headbutt to give it more staying power. The ability to replenish HP is much more useful than a poorly invested STAB. That's all for now, good luck and have fun with the team.
Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Reactions: aim
Thanks for your suggestions!
I'll definitely utilise the Air Balloon/Rapid Spin set you suggested. Yeah, Im not really sure what I was going for with Bulldoze, so I will replace it with Bounce. I'll also incorporate the Taunt and Soft-Boiled on Mew. However, are you sure I need Fire Blast on Ttar to take care of Ferrothorn? I do have Flamethrower on Manectric after all.

I suggest max hp on chansey for better wish passsing and taunt on Mew which gives him nice stallbreaker abilitys

Dokkerich Thanks for the suggestions, Like I said above, I've already decided to use Taunt on Mew along with soft-boiled, but I'm going to keep the defensve EV's, because Chansey's HP is already astronomicaal. I don't think it needs a boost, and with the current EVs it will last a lot longer.

I suggest max hp on chansey for better wish passsing and taunt on Mew which gives him nice stallbreaker abilitys
Chansey can pass Wishes fairly well without maximum HP. Even without maximum HP, you are passing around 320 HP Wishes.

I do not like that Gyarados set, regular Gyarados either runs Specially Defensive, Bulky Dragon Dance, or bust (Life Orb Moxie is supposed to be a set, but I do not know if it is even worth it).

This team is way too Bisharp weak, it can flay your team alive. What are you willing to give up so I can fit a Bisharp check? Your team literally gets destroyed by it, and in order for me to fit a proper check, I need to know what you are willing to give up.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Avalanche
- Bounce

I don't like avalance ever on Gyarados, Ice fang is better than avalance, It's negative priority and that's counterproductive on Gyarados, or you could run a substitute set with Daul stab

Cynara

Banned deucer.
i know, but Dragonite and Garchomp and others like gliscor and landorus-t get rekt. I suppose I could use Ice fang tho.
Yes but you're using a negative priority move with speed and Dragon dance..., After 1 Dragon dance, Ice fang is KOing both, Garchomp is outspeeding you if you aren't boosted anyways, So Ice fang > avalanche

252+ Atk Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 316-376 (88.2 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)