gardevoir starter

I've seen plenty of "look at X Pokemon!" threads, so it's time I contributed to the repetiveness. What if I told you there was starter who could take on Gyarados, Hippowdon, blah blah blah.

Gardevoir @ Focus Sash
Trait: Synchorize
204 Spd / 252 SpAtt / 52 HP
Modest Nature
- Taunt / Protect
- Counter
- Thunderbolt / Grass Knot / Psychic / HP Ice
- Grass Knot / Psychic / Thunderbolt / HP Ice

Psychic allows her to hit Infernape leads, but CB U-Turns could ruin that. CounterSash wrecks Weavile and Tyranitar who think they can Pursuit her to death. Grass Knot hits Hippowdon and Swampert hard, while Thunderbolt zaps Gyarados. Synchorize gives a refreshing twist of irony to Hypnosis Yangmega/Gengar. Now, at first glance it appears to have a lot of /'s, but what they basically means is that you have three attacking choices; Grass Knot, Thunderbolt, and Psychic (I guess HP Ice could work too), or you could choose all three in favor of Taunt. Taunt, though, helps against Ninjask, Stealth Rocking Hippowdons, and a few other stuff. Another interesting option is Protect, which lets her know whether to Counter Salamence or switch to Blissey, Counter the Infernape U-Turn or use Psychic, see if Gyarados is staying in to Taunt your assumed set-up or if they're bringing in Electivire, etc. It also can get you free switch-ins. Sceptile Leaf Storming you? Switch in Salamence, get a couple of DD's and sweep. It eases prediction, but may not be as practical in the long run. Thunder Wave can also be used to hurt what you couldn't otherwise hit, like Azelf.

Now why not run some damage calcs?

Grass Knot vs. generic 252/252 HP/Def Hippowdon:

73.10% - 85.95%

Yep, it avoids a OHKO. But it's easily outsped and only wins if it can OHKO Gardevoir in return, or at least do 94% Damage.

Thunderbolt vs. 212/0 HP/SpDef Neutral Gyarados (bulky):

116.41% - 136.98%

That was painfully obvious.

Now, whenever Gardy manages to CounterSash something, it does exactly 578 Hit Points. The only Pokemon exceeding that number is Wobbufet, Blissey, and Chansey, and 2/3 of them won't be seen at all, and against none of them will you be Countering, so basically a CounterSash is guranteed a kill.

Now, I shouldn't have to do damage calcs for Psychic against Infernape and Breloom, but if you're interested, it does 117.98% - 138.76% and 147.53% - 173.77% respectively, should you be facing any that run max HP.

Grass Knot vs. 252/252 HP/SpDef Positive-natured Swampert:

79.21% - 93.32%

That's for all you annoying Sassy max SpDef/HP Swamperts out there! Now let's try it against a more realistic spread.

Grass Knot vs. 252/0 HP/SpDef Neutral Swampert:

101.98% - 120.05%

Guaranteed a OHKO. Moving on.

What about Abomasnow? That thing is one of the most popular leads, after all. Let's see how well Gardy does.

Psychic vs. 0/0 Neutral Abomasnow:

56.70% - 66.67%

A guranteed 2HKO, and can break any Subs he might throw up to Punch or Seed. How about the EV spread for the mixed attacker EV spread form the analysis?

Psychic vs. 252/160 Sassy Abomasnow:

36.20% - 42.71%

Okay, so you're not beating this anytime soon, unless you predict a Wood Hammer correctly, plus Wood Hammer recoil could add up.

This next bit is a tedious section seeing how well Gardevoir fares against the Top 50 Most Popular leads according to Shoddy. The calculations are according to their standard EV spreads.

#50: Froslass:
2HKO's with Psychic. Still though, is faster and has STAB Shadow Ball and Destiny Bond

#49: Tentacruel:
Psychic 2HKO's, and he is outsped, so no problems here.

#48: Gliscor:
Psychic only does 51.98% - 61.02%, which falls short of a 2HKO at mininum with Leftovers. But Hidden Power Ice is a guaranteed OHKO, and it can't OHKO anyways, plus without EV investment Gardy outspeeds, so Gardy doesn't have too hard of a time.

#47: Flygon:
CounterSash owns it or the U-Turn switchin. Gardevoir probably can avoid a OHKO by Draco Meteor, plus Protect helps you scout.

#46: Shuckle:
One word: Taunt.

#45: Persian:
Gardy can Synch Hypnosis, and if it attempts free hits with Fake Out + U-Turn Gardy most likely can survive and Counter the U-Turn switchin, though Life Orb'd Technician Bite after a Fake Out might KO.

#44: Umbreon:
I imagine Taunt would screw this over.

#43: Jirachi:
Another good recipient of Taunt. If it's a Wish-Passer though, U-Turns will hurt.

#42: Sceptile:
Psychic is a 2HKO, and Taunt destroys any SubSeeders. Choice Specs Leaf Storm gives you a free switch-in to a Grass resist if you Protect turn 1.

#41: Tauros:
Glad to see these things put to use after RBY. Anyways, CounterSash.

#40: Heatran:
I'm afraid you can't touch this thing at all. Switch to a counter.

#39: Medicham
Counter away. It can't really do anything to do outside of elemental punches, though.

#38: Kingdra:
Pychic 2HKO's, and they will probably set up Rain Dance or switch (fearing Thunder Wave) turn 1, so it won't be much of a threat to you much.

#37: Donphan:
Grass Knot owns this thing, if it 2HKO's Hippowdon is definitely will 2HKO this.

#36: Spiritomb:
Protect turn 1 and see what it does. If it Pursuits you Counter, if it Taunts or Calm Minds switch to something that threatens it.

#35: Lucario:
Use Protect to scout what kind of Lucario it is, if it Swords Dances or something use Counter, or else switch in a resistance.

#34: Typhlosion:
Um, unfortunately this is another obscure lead you're stuck against. Try hitting it with Psychic while surviving with Sash, because otherwise these things like to run teams over with Eruption.

#33: Porygon-Z:
I'm guessing that these leads that you can't do a damn thing to is getting old, right?

#32: Scizor:
Try countering, if it Swords Dances or uses Agility use Taunt.

#31: Starmie:
Thunderbolt and Grass Knot does fine.

#30: Machamp:
Psychic is a guaranteed 2HKO.

#29: Smeargle:
Ah, Taunt seems to be getting better and better.

#28: Skarmory:
Who the hell leads with this thing? Anyways, Thunderbolt is fine, and it's also handy to Taunt it.

#27: Togekiss:
Taunt it so it can't Nasty Plot, Roost, or Baton Pass, then Thunderbolt.

#26: Heracross:
Heracross is in for a big suprise when you hang on with Focus Sash and Counter it.

#25: Alakazam:
Just send out a counter, you can't really hurt it at all.

#24: Garchomp:
Hope that it isn't a Swords Dancer, and Counter.

#23: Azelf:
Thunder Wave is always an option specifically for this guy.

#22: Aerodactyl:
Counter what is most likely going to be a Pursuit.

#21: Zapdos:
Taunt it so it can't pass Agility or Subs, then switch in something that can more directly handle it.

#20: Staraptor:
Counter or Thunderbolt, but the former is a better option due to U-Turn.

#19: Ambipom:
If it Fake Outs, counter the U-Turn, if it does anything else Taunt it to prevent Plot-Passing.

#18: Jolteon:
Damn, Jolteon's pretty popular. Anyways, Taunt it to prevent Sub-Passing, but watch out for Specs Shadow Ball (lol).

#17: Metagross:
Counter is your best bet.

#16: Crobat:
Scout with Protect, if it uses Hypnosis, stay in to Synch it, if U-Turn (in which case it's a CB'er), counter the switch-in.

#15: Roserade:
Damn Roserade is popular. Anyways, Psychic is either a OHKO or damn close to it, and Roserade gets a taste of her own medicine with Synchorize if you get Sleep Powder'd.

#14: Ninjask:
Ninjask is holding suprisingly well. Anyways, Taunt is the greatest counter to this thing they ever could have came up with.

#13: Forretress:
Shocking. Anyhoo, Taunt it to prevent any form of Spikes from being laid out early.

#12: Breloom:
If you outspeed, Psychic is a OHKO, otherwise, Synchorize Spore. The main problem I see is Jolly Toxic Orb Brelooms with Protect, which might be enough to make Gardy Timid.

#11: Yanmega is put to sleep with Hypnosis, and if it doesn't use that, Thunderbolt will KO before Bug Buzz will (due to Gardy's Sash).

#10: Abomasnow:
Covered.

#9: Infernape:
Covered.

#8: Swampert:
Man I didn't think that people still used this. Anyways, covered.

#7: Weavile:
CounterSash is a nasty suprise for our little Pursuit-abusing friend. You'd best hope it doesn't Swords Dance.

#6: Bronzong:
Taunt ruins just about anything it can do, like Trick Room, Calm Mind, or Hypnosis.

#5: Tyranitar:
If you're willing to sacrifice Gardy (due to Sandstream), go ahead and CounterSash, and hope it's not Boah.

#4: Gengar:
Take a Hypnosis with Synchorize. First Protect to make sure you're not about to eat a Spec'd Shadow Ball.

#3: Salamence:
Protect to see what variation it is, if it's the more-popular Specsmence, hit it with HP Ice, if it's a Bander, CounterSash.

#2: Hippowdon:
Covered.

#1: Gyarados:
Covered.

Wait... I forgot to change the title after I previewed my post. How cna I change that? I just randomly put something to see how the post would turn out btw.

Didn't read the whole thing, but I have a question: Why Focus Sash? Gardy has good enough defenses that nothing should really OHKO it, and even if you do get down to 1 HP, you don't have Wish for healing or enough speed with Modest to outspeed anything.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
...I'm not thinking that this is a situational lead. It's good, but so is a lot of Pokemon.

Crobat wouldn't use Hypnosis if it doesn't say "Gardevoir Traced Inner Focus!", it would just U-Turn out (and yes, the "Starter" Crobat tends to carry both Hypnosis AND U-Turn). This would basically halt any Pokemon as a Sleep-Lead.

Still, this isn't bad of a find, but the whole "moveslot syndromne" will get to you. Also, Weavile starters can pick a bone at it. If Weavile holds a Focus Sash, Weavile is winning.

IF the above poster is right about Synchronize (which I think he is) then Trace is the superior ability.

Wouldn't Gardevoir w/ Trace scare Gyarados away b/c of Intimidate?

Also, wouldn't you want to add some EV's in defense if you want to use Counter?

No, because its FOCUS SASHED. He wants to take as much damage as possible, so that the Counter can be at the strongest it possibly can.

No, because its FOCUS SASHED. He wants to take as much damage as possible, so that the Counter can be at the strongest it possibly can.

lol triple post.

back on topic, this i very interesting, although i don't think sycnhronize syncs sleep to opponent, making trace better probably

Lol at forum errors.

Anyway I prefer to use Gardevoir as my BL Special Wall/Wish passer but this does look like it can do fairly well against any physical lead because if has 60~ base Defense so it can deal a good amount of counter damage.

EDIT: Use Trace instead of Synchronize, Trace is more fun to use.

Trace is fun to use, but Synchorize allows her to absorb status reasonably well, and it cripples random Hypnosis Gengar/Yanmega/Crobat leads. Switching it into Dusknoir/Gallade Will-o-Wisp or Rotom/Froslass Thunder Wave and crippling them with their own status moves is awesome, with cleric support. However, if what Volteon said is true about Synchorize not doubling back Sleep, Trace is probably better.

Crobat wouldn't use Hypnosis if it doesn't say "Gardevoir Traced Inner Focus!", it would just U-Turn out (and yes, the "Starter" Crobat tends to carry both Hypnosis AND U-Turn). This would basically halt any Pokemon as a Sleep-Lead.
Well, this is all dependent on whether or not Synchorize works with Sleep. Crobat wouldn't get to U-Turn if it was sleeping. Also, I don't think people are really familiar with BL-ish Pokes like Gardevoir much.

Still, this isn't bad of a find, but the whole "moveslot syndromne" will get to you. Also, Weavile starters can pick a bone at it. If Weavile holds a Focus Sash, Weavile is winning.
Sash Swords Dance Weaviles are the worst. They give this set nightmares, but it works fine on your typical Choice Bander.

IF the above poster is right about Synchronize (which I think he is) then Trace is the superior ability.
I agree. I'll have to look it up. *checks Serebii* According to Serebii, it obly works with Poison, Burn, or Paralyze. Hm, I got to change something then.

yes, get rid of focus sash, and i would make it learn taunt, not protect. taunt messes up so many pokes.

at first i just thought this was a crappy version of counter encore alakazam.

but the more i think about it, this gardevoir might be better. counter is almost
expected and it has damn good sp def so it will be a bitch too kill

plus taunt is a dope move in general.

Synchronize just reflects Burn, Poison and Paralyze. No Sleep nor Freeze.
So I would sleep with yanmega...

But seriously, you force them to switch to blissey while you do 7% damage

Ok, you realized it.
I like counter sash btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)