Gas Pedal [XY OU Hyper Offense]

Slow down, grab the wall,
Wiggle like you tryna make yo ass fall off
Hella thick I wanna smash 'em all, now
Speed up, gas pedal​

Introduction

What's up guys. So, with Mega Gengar most likely going to be banned within the next few days or so, this team really loses a majority of its viability. The idea behind this team was utilizing an offensive core that melds well with the fact that Mega-Gengar can basically pick and choose any Pokemon it wants to eliminate, and roll from there. There are very few teams that I make that I would say have little to no flaws in them (because honestly I'm a shit team builder lol), but this one really doesn't have that many weaknesses, aside from the opponent either being able to just outplay the offensive nature of the team or hax (the latter has been much more common, since it's really hard NOT to play well with this team).

In-Depth Look

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 Spd / 248 HP / 12 Atk
Timid Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Psycho Boost Fire Punch

When running Hyper Offense, there's honestly very little to no reason to not use Deoxys-S as a hazard setter. The simple fact that it outspeeds the entire metagame means that you're guaranteed to have at least one layer of hazards on the field, even with this defog craze going around. There's really not too much to explain about this set. Stealth Rock and Spikes are necessary, because the residual damage helps the rest of my Pokemon accomplish whatever they need to do. Psycho Boost does a decent amount of damage to whatever, while Magic Coat keeps hazards off my side of the field, as well as stops Taunters from being annoying. It's also nifty against silly Klefkis. Fireburn's suggestion of Fire Punch over Psycho Boost is significantly superior, so I'm rolling with that.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
An absolute necessity on the team for two reasons. One, it's a pivot Pokemon, which is absolutely vital in order for the functionality of the team, which is to trap and kill. Two, it's a switch in for Mamoswine and Talonflame, two Pokemon that really cause my team some issues. Sure, Lucario can beat them 1 on 1 most of the time if SR is on the field, but in terms of switch ins, I have nothing. I'd rather come in and force them out so I can retain my offensive momentum. It's also nice to have an Aqua Jet switch in!!! All of the moves are pretty self explanatory. I'm using the Resto-Chesto set because it's more "reliable recovery" than Pain Split, and the fact that Sleep Turns no longer reset means that Rest isn't an absolutely shit move anymore. Will-O-Wisp is here so that SD Aegi doesn't run me over (assuming it hits of course).

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
Arguably the most important "utility" Pokemon I have on the team. It provides me with not only a slow U-Turn, but it also draws out almost every single Physical wall that needs to be lured out in order for Gengar to come in and be an absolute fucker. The set itself is pretty standard, I chose not to add Speed EVs because I'd rather be slower than other Scizor to U-Turn second. Other than that, Bullet Punch, Superpower, and Pursuit are pretty much staple standards on SD Scizor.

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 Spd / 236 SAtk / 20 HP
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
Holy fucking shit is this thing broken. For some reason, I see a lot of people running Perish Trapping sets on offense, which I don't seem to understand since it absolutely kills any offensive momentum you can hope to gain with this thing. Thanks to Scizor, I basically chose moves that could defeat any Pokemon that would be annoying to Lucario and Salamence. Those Pokemon include: Gliscor, Skarmory, Landorus-T, Tentacruel, Hippowdon, Bronzong and any common Physical wall really. Those are the main ones though. Thunderbolt and HP Ice are amazing moves on Mega Gengar, especially the latter, since they one shot Gliscor and Landorus-T, which allow my team to just go on a shit storm. Shadow Ball is obligatory STAB, also being nice to eliminate Ghosts in a 1-1 situation (I can't trap em, but I can kill em, so who gives a shit!). The 20 HP EVs allow me to live 252 Adamant Aegislash Shadow Sneak after SR 100% of the time iirc. But if not, the extra bulk is always nice, since 170 SpA is ridiculous enough anyway. Destiny Bond rounds out the set, which usually allows me to take down a second Pokemon for free once Gengar does its job. This set is honestly the best utility Pokemon for Hyper Offense that I have ever used. 100% broken as all hell.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch / Crunch
So, guess what happens when Mega Gengar eliminates all of your opponent's physical walls? Yeah, Lucario comes in and basically steam rolls every single god damn thing left. Adamant Nature obviously because power with dual priority is much better over speed. At +2, Lucario dominates pretty much everything that Mega Gengar can't pick off. Extreme Speed and Close Combat are obligatory, because CC STAB ridiculousness and Extreme Speed being the best priority in the game. The last slot is honestly a toss up. I originally had Crunch on here, but then I realized that everything that I needed Crunch for, Mega Gengar basically ruins anyway. I went with Bullet Punch because Ice Punch is pretty much unnecessary with Mega Gengar running HP Ice, and the secondary priority is nice in case I need to deal with faster Ghosts and things. I guess it makes Aegislash somewhat more of a threat, but I'm not sure which I should sacrifice, the ability to clean up things like Mega Gengar and Terrakion at +2 or the ability to reliably beat Aegislash. Yeah Aegi is a pretty big problem. Crunch is much better for the team.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
My late game clean up, and fail safe Choice Scarf Pokemon just in case I have issues with certain things. Salamence rounds out my offensive core, which really puts a ton of pressure on the opponent. They need to worry about switching in their Physical walls into Salamence, or risk dealing with Mega Gengar potentially coming in on a double switch. This thing is also really great late game, once the combination of Lucario and Gengar punch a ton of holes in the opponents team. The set is pretty self explanatory, since Mixed Scarf Mence is the most common Scarf variant of Mence.

Conclusion

This honestly is an auto pilot team. I haven't really seen that many Hyper Offense teams of this style, but Mega Gengar on this kind of team is absolutely broken in OU. If you are wondering about the Pro-ban side of Mega Gengar or find Mega Gengar underwhelming as a Pokemon, I encourage you to try this team out. Feel free to rate, comment, steal, etc.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 Spd / 248 HP / 12 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Fire Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 Spd / 236 SAtk / 20 HP
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Crunch

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Last edited:
This team is sick and it definitely uses mgar to its full potential with volt turn to lure in shit to trap.

Aegislash looks like a huge pain in the ass though. have you considered using something other than luke to sweep? I know mgar completely wrecks all of rp landos counters (lati, rotom, celebi, etc) and is a decent aegislash check. You could even drop a coverage move for u turn to make it an even better gar partner.

That's all I can really add if you want to change anything since this team looks really good already.

Absolutely solid team. Only note I can think of is you might need to switch Deoxys-S with another hazard setter because 2 of the 4 Deoxys' have been banned to Ubers already so Deoxys-S/D are probably right around the corner. I'm not sure what Gen 6 pkmn will get breed-wise once Pokebank is released, but you might want to try using Focus Sash Smeargle or Custap Berry Skarmory.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If there was ever a team that proves Mega Gengar is broken, this would be it.

Only question is the decision to run Psycho Boost on Deo-S since idk what it hits. Fire Punch might be nice for stuff like Genesect leads and Excadrill.

What's your game plan vs. Aegislash? It seems like it could trouble this team right much.

This team is sick and it definitely uses mgar to its full potential with volt turn to lure in shit to trap.

Aegislash looks like a huge pain in the ass though. have you considered using something other than luke to sweep? I know mgar completely wrecks all of rp landos counters (lati, rotom, celebi, etc) and is a decent aegislash check. You could even drop a coverage move for u turn to make it an even better gar partner.

That's all I can really add if you want to change anything since this team looks really good already.
Aegi is a pain, but it's able to be played around with Rotom support. That's why I sometimes use Crunch over Bullet Punch, because that's how I get my insurance against Aegislash. It's honestly a toss up though.

Land-I actually doesn't do too well with the dynamic of this team, since it's meant to punch holes for Physical sweepers (Gengar actually doesn't do so hot against some Rotom Variants unless you D-Bond them.)

Absolutely solid team. Only note I can think of is you might need to switch Deoxys-S with another hazard setter because 2 of the 4 Deoxys' have been banned to Ubers already so Deoxys-S/D are probably right around the corner. I'm not sure what Gen 6 pkmn will get breed-wise once Pokebank is released, but you might want to try using Focus Sash Smeargle or Custap Berry Skarmory.
You realize that the reason I posted this is because Mega Gengar is going to get banned before Deoxys-S? Of course I'll need a bunch of different things, this team as a whole loses its viability. Focus Sash Smeargle is also a terrible HO Offensive mon.

Edit, because this was posted while I was typing.

If there was ever a team that proves Mega Gengar is broken, this would be it.

Only question is the decision to run Psycho Boost on Deo-S since idk what it hits. Fire Punch might be nice for stuff like Genesect leads and Excadrill.

What's your game plan vs. Aegislash? It seems like it could trouble this team right much.
Thanks man!

I honestly just threw Psycho Boost in because STAB and things. Fire Punch sounds cool though. I might try it out.

Burn it and roll from there, since at that point most of my Mons can handle it. Mixed Aegi + Talonflame is a huge pain in the ass for this team though. On its own, Aegi is annoying, but if I run Crunch over BP on Lucario, then it's really not too big of an issue.

Edit2: Yeah Aegi is an issue without Crunch too, using that instead now.

Last edited:
Very nice team. Minor suggestion, but I would run a low Speed IV if you're really looking to un-speed opposing Scizor. A Speed IV of 22 still allows you to outspeed any 0 EVed, neutral-natured Tyranitar who stay in hoping to use Fire Blast (probably doesn't happen often, but who knows, maybe they'll expect a minimum-Speed Scizor?), and a Speed IV of 10 still outspeeds Blissey.

Very nice team. Minor suggestion, but I would run a low Speed IV if you're really looking to un-speed opposing Scizor. A Speed IV of 22 still allows you to outspeed any 0 EVed, neutral-natured Tyranitar who stay in hoping to use Fire Blast (probably doesn't happen often, but who knows, maybe they'll expect a minimum-Speed Scizor?), and a Speed IV of 10 still outspeeds Blissey.
Interesting suggestion, but I'd rather not risk it on the off chance they speed creep enough to outspeed some random Pokemon like Jellicent.

With defog running around everywhere, suicide hazard leads can often be made useless after the pokemon is sacrificed. Physically defensive skarmory can set up hazards for you (albeit more slowly) and repeatedly set them up throughout the match. Skarmory can check many set up sweepers in this metagame, and would act as a great defensive pivots. Unlike other bulky pivots, it maintains momentum fairly well with whirlwind making it work on a HO team. As a added benefit, you can also run defog over brave bird if you want complete hazard control. Skarmory has no place brave birding most of the pokes that use taunt anyways.

I would say that this compounds your weakness against fire, but honestly deoxys is 2HKO'd by any strong fire attack anyways.

I was testing this team, and I have to say, it feels a bit weak defensively. Things like Scizor kinda wreck your team once Rotom-W is gone. :/ Also, once hazards are up, they're impossible to remove. That just makes it a bit hard to make switches when you're getting whittled down.

Maybe switch something to a Defog Gliscor, just to help with the hazards. You have plenty of Ice resists, though Mega-Abomasnow crushes your soul. (Of course, it is uncommon)

With defog running around everywhere, suicide hazard leads can often be made useless after the pokemon is sacrificed. Physically defensive skarmory can set up hazards for you (albeit more slowly) and repeatedly set them up throughout the match. Skarmory can check many set up sweepers in this metagame, and would act as a great defensive pivots. Unlike other bulky pivots, it maintains momentum fairly well with whirlwind making it work on a HO team. As a added benefit, you can also run defog over brave bird if you want complete hazard control. Skarmory has no place brave birding most of the pokes that use taunt anyways.

I would say that this compounds your weakness against fire, but honestly deoxys is 2HKO'd by any strong fire attack anyways.
While I agree that Suicide Leads have gotten worse per-say, Deoxys-S fits much nicer on the team over Skarmory due to offensive momentum. In addition, Defog is a double edged sword, and I'd rather have a more guaranteed method of getting hazards, even if it risks having them removed at some point. Remember, it takes a turn to use Defog, and sometimes using defog means I can get a switch into something threatening, set up, or even knock out the defog user, which could theoretically make it easier to sweep, since SD Lucario and Mence still do a ton of damage.

I was testing this team, and I have to say, it feels a bit weak defensively. Things like Scizor kinda wreck your team once Rotom-W is gone. :/ Also, once hazards are up, they're impossible to remove. That just makes it a bit hard to make switches when you're getting whittled down.
The team isn't meant to take hits, it's meant to open holes in the opponents team to sweep. That's why it's a Hyper Offensive team. If you're saying the team is weak defensively, then you're not playing it the correct way, since you're not switching in Pokemon to take hits most of the time. Also, I have Fire Punch Deoxys-S (not that it will be there for long) AND Close Combat Adamant Lucario. The team is not weak to Scizor at all.

P.S. to stop hazards, you spam Magic Coat with Deoxys-S on an obvious Hazard setting mon. If they attack and kill you, you send in a Pokemon that forces them out. It's not very complicated.

Last edited:
This is relatively minor, but you need either quite a bit of attack investment or a Life Orb to OHKO Genesect with Fire Punch on Deo-S. It doesn't make too much sense to use Fire Punch when you don't even OHKO the main target of it and still end up eating a U-turn. You need at least 172 attack EVs and Adamant to be able to OHKO Genesect 100% of the time without Life Orb, regardless of whether or not it's running Hasty.

Reactions: trc
This is relatively minor, but you need either quite a bit of attack investment or a Life Orb to OHKO Genesect with Fire Punch on Deo-S. It doesn't make too much sense to use Fire Punch when you don't even OHKO the main target of it and still end up eating a U-turn. You need at least 172 attack EVs and Adamant to be able to OHKO Genesect 100% of the time without Life Orb, regardless of whether or not it's running Hasty.
I know, and it's not worth the bulk loss haha. I'd rather just do a good amount of damage, then get up Hazards. Fire Punch is more useful than Psycho Boost honestly, so it makes sense to keep it.

really fine HO team, i used a pretty similar one, but mabye consider icy wind over hp ice on gengar? the difference in 5 BP is negligible, and ive often found myself thankful if i couldnt kill a certain pokemon i could at least slow them down for one of my sweepers (i used landorus-i). but yeah very very minor suggestion, as it can also miss.

really fine HO team, i used a pretty similar one, but mabye consider icy wind over hp ice on gengar? the difference in 5 BP is negligible, and ive often found myself thankful if i couldnt kill a certain pokemon i could at least slow them down for one of my sweepers (i used landorus-i). but yeah very very minor suggestion, as it can also miss.
This is actually a really nifty suggestion, and if I was running a Land-I based team, I would probably do it. However, since I really need to ensure that I OHKO Gliscor and Landorus-T 100% of the time, I'd rather not risk missing.

Besides, anything I know I can't kill I just Destiny Bond cause yeah I can haha.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
sludge wave from gengar actually OHKOs max hp togekiss and azumarill unlike t-bolt, making it easier to rampage through thing lategame with salamence. In fact, good luck getting through toges or azumarill with that lucario, seems like sludge wave would be fantastic on that gengar. Thunderbolt hits skarmory, who is 2hko'd by shadow ball cant ohko back, is in +2 close combat range after a shadow ball. Tbolt hits gyarados who I guess is important, but not as important, drop thunderbolt imo.

Also yeah, this team has no way to get rid of hazards, it would be kinda bad if you faced a competent stick web user that didnt just suicide off first turn, and they managed to get it up. Defog @ iron plate scizor with roost is a fantastic pivot that dies pretty hard but still really hurts. Defog is dumb with a suicide hazard lead but at the same time if the opponent starts getting hazards at the wrong time and you just have no option you can lose games

sludge wave from gengar actually OHKOs max hp togekiss and azumarill unlike t-bolt, making it easier to rampage through thing lategame with salamence. In fact, good luck getting through toges or azumarill with that lucario, seems like sludge wave would be fantastic on that gengar. Thunderbolt hits skarmory, who is 2hko'd by shadow ball cant ohko back, is in +2 close combat range after a shadow ball. Tbolt hits gyarados who I guess is important, but not as important, drop thunderbolt imo.

Also yeah, this team has no way to get rid of hazards, it would be kinda bad if you faced a competent stick web user that didnt just suicide off first turn, and they managed to get it up. Defog @ iron plate scizor with roost is a fantastic pivot that dies pretty hard but still really hurts. Defog is dumb with a suicide hazard lead but at the same time if the opponent starts getting hazards at the wrong time and you just have no option you can lose games
Interesting suggestion, here is my response.

Thunderbolt does enough to Azumarill, and the guaranteed 1hko on skarmory means zero hazards, which people seem to be complaining about. Togekiss is annoying, but the combination of Rotom and Scizor handle it just fine. In addition t-bolt + extreme speed beat Azumarill, and Azumarill has to deal with Rotom as well. I will admit, Togekiss is annoying, which is why I had Bullet Punch over Crunch, but I realized that Scizor can handle it.

Do people not know what Magic Coat does? Also, defog removes my own hazards, so there is zero chance I am using it.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Interesting suggestion, here is my response.

Thunderbolt does enough to Azumarill, and the guaranteed 1hko on skarmory means zero hazards, which people seem to be complaining about. Togekiss is annoying, but the combination of Rotom and Scizor handle it just fine. In addition t-bolt + extreme speed beat Azumarill, and Azumarill has to deal with Rotom as well. I will admit, Togekiss is annoying, which is why I had Bullet Punch over Crunch, but I realized that Scizor can handle it.

Do people not know what Magic Coat does? Also, defog removes my own hazards, so there is zero chance I am using it.
yes I know what magic coat does, why would anyone with a brain leading with galvantula, the only viable sticky web user try and click sticky web first turn? Against a galvantula youre practically forced to magic coat, only conferring 1 layer of hazards for the game on your side, but an opponent could perhaps play galvantula later in their favour and severely damage lucario and gengar's abilities to sweep or trap. I agree that the team is by no means weakto azumarill or togekiss, however, the team isn't particularly weak to skarmory or gyarados, and mega gyarados when scizor and rotom-w lie on the team. Thunderbolt or sludge wave is probably an inconsequential decision, though it can be nice for beat misc fairies, again they too will usually fall to scizor.

Overall when it comes to defog I find that it simply provides more flexibility to the team. Should the opponent and you ahve equal hazards on the field, but they find an opportunity to rapid spin you can quickly even the playing field with defog, should the opponent defeat deoxys, then remove hazards you will be at a disadvantage the rest of the match. If one of your pokemon has been brought into hazard kill range, but needs to be brought out again, defog can save it, and the match. It's not a move you can spam, or simply gain an advantage with at all times but it certainly improves flexibility. That being said, if the power of scizor's choice band is necessary, considering the lack of hazard weakness this team has, then it might not be ideal, but it's something worth considering.

Bryce

Lun
For sticky Web, rather than using a dedicated Defog Scizor set,throw it over Pursuit on CB Scizor since Pursuit is mainly a filler and won't see much use. Sticky Web can give this team issues since instead of leading with Sticky Web user,they can use it a few turns later when Deo-S is dead. It can help if an emergency arrives,but isn't really necessary since Genger avoids Web before Mega Evolving and Dbond any powerful attacker.

For sticky Web, rather than using a dedicated Defog Scizor set,throw it over Pursuit on CB Scizor since Pursuit is mainly a filler and won't see much use. Sticky Web can give this team issues since instead of leading with Sticky Web user,they can use it a few turns later when Deo-S is dead. It can help if an emergency arrives,but isn't really necessary since Genger avoids Web before Mega Evolving and Dbond any powerful attacker.
I actually really like this suggestion, and for some reason didn't even think of it. It kind of is a moot point to run Pursuit anyway with the main trapper being Gengar. I'll probably swap that out now.

Small change but you could put Taunt over Magic Coat on Deo-S. It has the same effect as Magic Coat and stops defoggers.

Small change but you could put Taunt over Magic Coat on Deo-S. It has the same effect as Magic Coat and stops defoggers.
Magic Coat is better against other HO leads (Deoxys-S). It also forces my opponent to waste a turn to attempt to remove hazards, which helps offensive momentum.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant to say more than I did yesterday about this team. Volt turn with mega gengar is pretty fantastic as a core. I was using Garchomp as my scarfer, but Moxie and outrage after all the opponent's fairies/steels are dead is insane.

I tend to prefer taunt/Fire Punch and rocks and spikes on my deoxys just because I've found that it can become set-up bait and it's a lot harder for Hyper offense to deal with a set-up sweeper out of the gate. I understand magic coat, though.

Icy Wind on the Gengar is a great idea, though.

I'm not sure sticky web is an issue. It sort of pigeonholes you into sweeping with salamence, but half the team is immune to it and scizor and rotom don't care. Luke also has priority with extreme speed.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Seconding the call for Icy Wind. Outside of that, the only thing I can think to change is Salamence's nature. Naive over Hasty will help you take Bullet Punches a little better, which can be pretty important if you've taken Stealth Rock damage.

Good team, and thank god gengarite will be gone soon. I would recommend putting all of deoxys's hp Ivs in attack, as it needs it to ohko neutral nature genesect. You have the sash, so there is really no need to invest in bulk. Also, without taunt, you are kind of setup bait for everything not weak to fire. Magic coat is nice, but if you aren't using the fast taunt or the ability to ohko genesects, you may as well just use deo d. While gengars destiny bond deals with a decent amount of setup sweepers, it is still something to consider. Finally, you are very weak mega kangashkan, and that thing is fucking everywhere. You have two things against it, which is not letting it set up and gengars destiny bond. However, if gengar dies (and it often dies early doing something important), and it gets one free turn, which isn't that hard, it sweeps automatically. Honestly I can't think of anything that fits your team to check it, but it was just obvious from seeing the team. Hope I helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)