Gastrodon (Revamp)

Threw

cohiba

[OVERVIEW]

Gastrodon has access to many unique tools that combine to make it a viable defensive threat in the UnderUsed metagame. Its Water / Ground typing combined with an excellent ability in Storm Drain gives it a number of useful resistances and immunities, particularly making it an optimal Scald switch-in as well as a threat to VoltTurn cores. Because of its access to Recover, Gastrodon further distinguishes itself from other Curse users like Swampert and Snorlax, as the instantaneous recovery allows Gastrodon to heal damage without putting itself to sleep. This lets it function as a more utility-oriented Curse user whose purpose in setting up with Curse is less to sweep than to improve its ability to check physical attackers. However, while Gastrodon has impressive special bulk, it is extremely weak to status, and its mediocre physical bulk prevents it from countering numerous offensive threats without a couple of boosts. Unlike Swampert, it does not possess Stealth Rock or Roar and has little utility outside of its helpful immunities. These cons, along with the sheer number of effective defensive Water-types in the tier, make Gastrodon a very niche Pokemon in UnderUsed.

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Recover
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Scald
item: Leftovers
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse increases Gastrodon's offensive and defensive capabilities while only decreasing its already awful Speed. Recover boosts Gastrodon's longevity, allowing it to switch into powerful threats throughout a match and still survive for a potential late-game sweep. Earthquake is its most powerful STAB attack and deals massive damage once boosted; however, Gastrodon only has a mediocre base 83 Attack stat, so its damage output before boosting will be far from threatening. Scald prevents Gastrodon from being utterly useless before setting up and lends it some potential anti-offense utility by spreading burns. Ice Beam can be used in the last slot to hit Ground-immune Dragon-types, although Scald is largely the more reliable and useful move.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Sassy nature provide Gastrodon with enough bulk to sponge hits from the tier's most threatening special attackers while maintaining sufficient physical bulk to avoid 2HKOs from the likes of Cobalion. The primary benchmark this spread meets is avoiding a 2HKO from Nidoqueen's Earth Power after Stealth Rock damage. 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD is another viable spread that makes Gastrodon an even better answer to Alakazam, Nidoqueen, Mega Blastoise, and other powerful special attackers, although it leaves Gastrodon susceptible to 2HKOs from even relatively weak physical attackers such as Crobat and the aforementioned Cobalion. Leftovers gives Gastrodon passive recovery, which lets it heal even more HP in conjunction with Recover. Storm Drain is a large part of Gastrodon's niche, as it grants an extremely useful immunity to Water-type moves while boosting its Special Attack when hit by one.

Usage Tips
========

Gastrodon sets up Curse on quite a few of the tier's special attackers and Water-types, especially Suicune and Gyarados, the latter of which it can stall out of Bounce PP barring any critical hits. However, Gastrodon is extremely weak before setting up and therefore cannot reliably be expected to check even physically frail threats that it hits super effectively with Earthquake, such as Lucario, which it has a low chance to OHKO. While its special bulk is nothing to scoff at, Gastrodon's pales in comparison to Snorlax's, so it is more vulnerable to being worn down by extremely powerful special attackers, especially if it's been Taunted. While Gastrodon's typing and ability allow it to switch into many attackers freely, be sure to keep it healthy, or it will struggle to check strong threats. Be especially wary of Toxic and Will-O-Wisp users, as they seriously cripple Gastrodon and make it much less threatening defensively. Should you intend to sweep with Gastrodon, it must be put off until it is late in the game and all the opposing team's Grass-types and especially powerful special attackers have been removed, as the former will always force it out and the latter are extremely effective revenge killers regardless of how many Curse boosts Gastrodon has managed to get off.

Team Options
========

Gastrodon's greatest weakness is to Grass-types, so Pokemon that can repeatedly counter them, such as Zapdos and Mandibuzz, make for marvelous teammates. Entei is another option capable of pressuring Grass-types offensively and punishing switch-ins. Cleric support is vital, as Gastrodon is crippled by burns from Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp and devastated by Toxic; this makes Florges, which is also capable of switching into one of Gastrodon's greatest threats in Taunt Hydreigon as well as many of the tier's Grass-types, perhaps the single best partner for it. Toxic Spikes can wear down Gastrodon's checks without Gastrodon having to directly damage them, leaving it more free to set up and recover HP as needed; Roserade in particular has the best defensive synergy with Gastrodon. It is extremely important to pair Gastrodon with some form of entry hazard removal, since Toxic Spikes can and will wear it down, preventing it from checking the threats it should. Forretress is capable of countering most of the tier's Grass-types and removing only the opponent's hazards with Rapid Spin, but Crobat in particular has phenomenal defensive synergy with Gastrodon as well as access to Defog and Roost, which increases its longevity so that it can switch into Grass-types throughout a match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

A physically defensive set with Clear Smog or Toxic is not unviable but is largely outclassed by more reliable defensive threats such as Milotic. This set should only be considered if Gastrodon's immunities are essential to a team's success. A maximum Special Attack Life Orb set with Scald, Earth Power, Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb, and Recover can be very threatening after a Storm Drain boost. Yawn can force Grass-types switching into Gastrodon back out before they can attack it, limiting a team's options of countering it. Mirror Coat can help Gastrodon deal with powerful special attackers that take little damage from both of its STAB attacks. Memento is an interesting option to potentially clear the way for a surprise sweep from the likes of Slurpuff and Cloyster, but it is unreliable and forces Gastrodon to forfeit a more consistently useful move.

Checks and Counters
========

**Grass-types**: Every Grass-type in the tier except Whimsicott OHKOes Gastrodon with their 4x super effective STAB attacks, and only Roserade fears switching directly into either of Gastrodon's attacking moves.

**Status**: Paralysis is simply annoying rather than devastating, but no amount of recovery can prevent Gastrodon from being worn down if it is afflicted with Toxic poison, and burn is nearly as debilitating.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers that don't mind switching into Scald, such as Kyurem, can deal massive damage to Gastrodon, effectively revenge killing it or preventing it from setting up. Taunt Hydreigon in particular is a massive threat, as it can prevent Gastrodon from recovering and render it useless thanks to its typing and Levitate.

**Flying-types and Levitate Users**: Most Flying-types and Levitate users aren't terribly hindered by a Scald burn, so they often shut down the Curse set and must be removed before Gastrodon can attempt a sweep. That said, not all Flying-types are capable of simply stalling Gastrodon out, especially if they contract a Scald burn. Crobat and Zapdos lacking Hidden Power Grass are two prominent examples of Flying-types that Gastrodon can wear down and force to Roost, taking the opportunity to do massive damage with Earthquake.

**Grass-type Coverage and Lures**: Hidden Power Grass from Zapdos and Grass Knot from Empoleon are examples of coverage moves that seriously threaten Gastrodon. Something Gastrodon needs to be aware of but not necessarily afraid of is the occasional Freeze-Dry from Mamoswine, as it's a comfortable 2HKO.

Attachments

Last edited:
has any consideration been given to incorporating a curse set? phys.def is pretty dope, credit where it's due, but there's a lot of merit to running a more spdef-heavy set rn (can soft-check zammer, nidos, and special mence, keeps pressure on florges better, etc.), and being able to actively pressure the cune rather than just cycling through ep / smog and hoping they don't realize it just chills and wins via pp is dope as well. it's less proficient in handling aero and some gyara (it can boost alongside edge / bounce only coverage and handle just fine barring crits, but eq / return can be a pain), but it's usually a passable trade-off. i went w/252 hp, 148 def, 108 spd @ sassy in order to avoid the 2hko from queen after sr, since as neat as the whole 'avoid the 2hko from zam after sr' benchmark is (being 252 hp / 112 def / 144 spd), that's the biggest recipe for disaster ever anyway b.c ur backfooting ur way into like 16 opps for the dude to grab a crit or spdef drop, and that's if he doesn't already have taunt or cm. i'd much rather have the defense evs to buff yourself out v.stuff like cobalion and aero, and its still got the spdef to eat two mence dm's after sr regardless.

Threw

cohiba
has any consideration been given to incorporating a curse set? phys.def is pretty dope, credit where it's due, but there's a lot of merit to running a more spdef-heavy set rn (can soft-check zammer, nidos, and special mence, keeps pressure on florges better, etc.), and being able to actively pressure the cune rather than just cycling through ep / smog and hoping they don't realize it just chills and wins via pp is dope as well. it's less proficient in handling aero and some gyara (it can boost alongside edge / bounce only coverage and handle just fine barring crits, but eq / return can be a pain), but it's usually a passable trade-off. i went w/252 hp, 148 def, 108 spd @ sassy in order to avoid the 2hko from queen after sr, since as neat as the whole 'avoid the 2hko from zam after sr' benchmark is (being 252 hp / 112 def / 144 spd), that's the biggest recipe for disaster ever anyway b.c ur backfooting ur way into like 16 opps for the dude to grab a crit or spdef drop, and that's if he doesn't already have taunt or cm. i'd much rather have the defense evs to buff yourself out v.stuff like cobalion and aero, and its still got the spdef to eat two mence dm's after sr regardless.
Yeah, I noticed the Curse set is actually what most of the conversation was about when it was ranked on the VR. I guess whether it's worth taking out of OO is up to QC

e: yep i'm writing it up, and i'm probably stealing your set :toast:

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
overview
  • idk how well it really checks sub dd gyara because bounce still does a lot and gyara can set up all over it (0 SpA Gastrodon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 61-72 (18.4 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO) sick damage. also bounce hurts after a few boosts which its getting
  • the bulky set actually gets pp stalled by suicune but there are non-rest variants: offensive CM (which sometimes runs HP grass) and sub cm which all hope is lost, so its not really the best check ever
  • curse wins though
defensive
  • earth power does zilch to suicune, so mention croaker as a target for it, because that doesnt want to be EPed
  • i wouldnt say that ice beam hits grasses that wall it, because they all outspeed and KO. mention hitting them on the switch in particular, though that isnt really too much either
  • under set details mention how storm drain is like most of its niche
  • for team options mention checks to special dragon like hydreigon and mence (252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 317-374 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery) (252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 290-343 (68 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
curse
  • this might just be me but i always thought the set was curse / recover / eq / scald but im no expert
  • it sets up all over stuff like suicune but mention that becacuse it is critical
also cleric support is helpful for all sets

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This isn't a check since I have next to no experience playing with / against this thing so just some preliminary stuff I think should be implemented. So for the Overview I don't get how it's a "massive threat to offense" considering a huge chunk of offense can easily smack Gastrodon very hard, with even the likes of Fire-types being able to damage it quite well, Entei doing a chunk, Infernape being able to OHKO with GK, Houndoom smacking it quite hard, Darmanitan laughing at it, so yeah I'd remove that, especially considering other bulky Water-types like Swampert and Alomomola being better at this, making it a mute point considering it isn't unique whatsoever and isn't true in my opinion. I also think you should definitely mash a few of those points in the Overview since they definitely just come down to explaining its competition in other bulky Water-types in the tier and explain the niche it has over them (i.e Water / Ground typing + Recover, Storm Drain), as well as explaining this niche isn't exactly too huge due to some of its apparent flaws (i.e low Defense, next to no utility).

Ok so for other stuff, not going to comment on sets because, again, have next to no experience with / against this thing but about OO please remove that LO set mention lol, sounds pretty bad in all honesty. Definitely expand on TO for both sets, and uh are you saying to have offense to back this up, or to have teammates that appreciate having something that flat out beats offense in the first bullet point? Because if it's the former, it's flat out a bad option since offense + Gastro sounds horrid, and if it's the latter, I honestly don't like how Gastrodon is being sold as an amazing offense killer when in reality it's a pretty meh wall that manages to have a small niche within the tier. Also please fix the spacing in C&C.

Threw

cohiba
I think you may haven misunderstood or misinterpreted what I was trying to get at in the overview. What I meant by the "threat to offense" thing is that the Curse set just PP stalls a lot of offensive stuff out if you can get it to +1 (Curse + instant recovery is also pretty unique), and it still has Scald, which is obviously anti-offense in itself, and those teams often won't have a phazer or a Toxic user to get rid of Gastrodon/wear it down, but yeah it's still definitely a huge over-generalization lol.

The LO set seems like the best thing for OO. Modest Gastro hits 311 and with LO factored in that's not bad at all, especially considering it makes Water-types pay for clicking Scald, which is huge, since even Dry Skin's effect is typically more inconvenient than threatening. But if you still think it should be taken out, I'm glad to.

And I think you're reading between the lines too much on the TO, I was just trying to list reliable answers to Grass-types - I'm certainly not endorsing Gastrodon on offensive squads. I switched them to Mence and Zappy anyway though, because listing hard counters there makes more sense, obviously.

Implemented all that stuff and added points to TO, thanks!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
  • Gastrodon's niche is excellent Water-Ground typing + Recover + Storm Drain
  • unimpressive physical bulk
  • no SR and little utility in general
  • is extremely slow and therefore especially susceptible to revenge killing
Seems like the overview has no positives right now outside of the "excellent" niche so make sure to expand on the fact that it has "everything it needs" with amazing defensive typing, a really good immunity, and reliable recovery when you write this up.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Scald
move 2: Earth Power / Ice Beam
move 3: Recover
move 4: Clear Smog / Toxic
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Scald is the obligatory STAB attack and helps make Gastrodon a huge problem for offensive teams
  • Earth Power is a secondary STAB option that hits Toxicroak and Heliolisk as well as other Water-types, especially Tentacruel, for solid damage
  • Ice Beam prevents Dragon- and Grass-types from switching into Gastrodon for free
  • Recover lends Gastrodon some longevity so it can check threats throughout a match
  • Clear Smog shuts down setup sweepers
  • Toxic can be used over Clear Smog to damage specially defensive Pokemon that don't mind any of Gastrodon's attacks
  • Earthquake and a Relaxed nature can be used to hit special walls more effectively, but it's generally weaker and gets no boost from Storm Drain
Mention that Clear Smog doesn't get around stuff like Cobalion or Lucario due to their Steel typing.

Set Details
========
  • Storm Drain is most of Gastrodon's niche
  • Leftovers gives Gastrodon passive recovery
  • Max Defense and HP let it better check threats such as Mega Aerodactyl and Entei

Usage Tips
========
  • Don't be afraid to switch it in liberally against physical attackers, even with hazards up, as it can recover any damage
  • Be wary of Grass-types and Grass-type coverage, and avoid switching into especially powerful special attackers
  • It has Storm Drain but is PP stalled by Suicune and it has Clear Smog but still loses to Sub DD Gyarados, so it isn't a very good answer to either
Also mention that is has to be wary of status users since it has no way to get rid of burns or poison.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that appreciate Mega Aerodactyl and Entei gone like Mega Sceptile, Shaymin, and offense in general
  • Grass-type counters like Escavalier
  • Pokemon that struggle with bulky Water-types, such as Entei and Krookodile
  • Pokemon such as Florges that check special Dragons and provide cleric support
  • Crobat, which has great type synergy and can remove annoying Toxic Spikes
  • Pokemon that can set up on Blissey and Florges, such as Toxicroak
Mention clerical support / special walls such as Florges and Blissey in place of just mentioning Florges to check special attackers in general.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Curse allows Gastrodon to boost its power and physical bulk while only hurting its already awful Speed
  • Recover boosts Gastrodon's longevity and lessens its reliance on a cleric
  • Earthquake is a powerful STAB attack that deals massive damage once boosted
  • Scald prevents Gastrodon from being completely useless before boosting and lends it some utility
Set Details
========
  • Leftovers gives Gastrodon passive recovery
  • Sassy nature and EVs prevent 2HKO from Nidoqueen after rocks damage while still dealing with Mega Aerodactyl and other physical attackers effectively enough

Usage Tips
========
  • Gastrodon sets up on many of the tier's physical attackers and Water-types, especially Suicune - however:
  • it's extremely weak and largely a liability before setting up
  • unlike Snorlax, it has poor special bulk, so even at +6 it can easily be worn down by powerful special attackers like LO Hydreigon and is very easily dispatched by Grass-types
  • in other words, it requires a ton of support
I feel like this section is very underdeveloped. This section should include that it can't pivot as well as the first set due to the lack of physical bulk to take on Mega Aerodactyl and Entei. It should also state when is the best time for Curse Gastrodon to set up (late-game). I would also mention that ALL Grass-types as well as powerful special attackers should be gone before it ever attempts to set up as it will always be forced out.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that can repeatedly switch into Grass-types, such as Fire Blast Salamence and Zapdos
  • Special walls that provide cleric support like Florges and Blissey
  • Spikes users such as Roserade, which take advantage of the turns Gastrodon eats and softens up its checks
  • Hazard removal, mainly for Toxic Spikes
  • Slow pivots such as Forretress (which also gets spikes) to give Gastrodon favorable matchups and easier setup opportunities

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
  • Bulky 3 attacks LO set
I wouldn't even mention that as there is no reason to ever use that. The stuff I would mention here is Yawn to force Grass-types switching in back out or to fall asleep should they go for their STAB moves and Mirror Coat, which can help deal with hard hitting special threats provided Gastrodon is able to live the hit.

Checks and Counters
========

**Grass-types**: Hit Gastrodon 4x super effectively with their STAB attacks

**Flying-types and Levitate Users**: Most aren't terribly scared of Scald, so they completely shut down the Curse set and must be removed before Gastrodon can attempt a sweep

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Alakazam, Kyurem, and others do massive damage to Gastrodon, and the defensive set can't do much back

**Grass-type Coverage and Lures**: HP Grass Zapdos and Grass Knot Empoleon are examples of coverage moves that seriously threaten Gastrodon. Something Gastrodon needs to be aware of - but not necessarily afraid of - is a Freeze Dry from Mamoswine, as it's nearly an OHKO.

**Toxic**: Paralysis and burn are simply annoying rather than devestating, but no amount of recovery can prevent Gastrodon from being worn down if it is afflicted with Toxic

**Taunt**: Stallbreakers such as Hydreigon that are equipped with Taunt can more easily KO Gastrodon by preventing it from healing with Recover
Comments are in bold. Implement this and I will check back to see if anything else is needed before you get your first check n_n

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK, these are some fairly extensive changes I'm suggesting, so like nv I'm going to withhold the QC check until I see them done, since some of them require some major rewriting of the entry itself.

First and foremost, I talked it over with dod and Pearl, and we pretty much all agreed that the first set (physically defensive) really isn't viable enough to be worth a set on the analysis. It is heavily outclassed by other similar 'mons, in particular Milotic, and while boasting an immunity to both Electric and Water as well as one-turn recovery is certainly unique, it doesn't actually provide enough of a niche to be worth dedicating a full set to it. As a result, I would remove the physically defensive set entirely from the analysis except for a mention in OO, and focus on the Curse set, which is by far Gastrodon's best and most viable set in the tier.

I should also mention that I sort of disagree with the fundamental assertion that Curse Gastrodon is a sweeper; it's not (although it can sweep). It's still a defensive pokemon that uses Curse to boost its otherwise mediocre physical bulk and offensive pressure.

So, with that said...

• As a way to expand on the concerns that nv had about pivoting Gastrodon into too many attacks early game, I'd say something like this (reword as you see fit): Gastrodon's typing and ability gives it a myriad of opportunities to switch into attackers throughout the game; however, be sure to keep it healthy or it will have difficulty checking strong threats.
  • Possibly mention that, barring any criticals, the Curse set actually beats Gyarados one-on-one, as it can Curse and Recover against any attacks it throws at it, and can easily stall Gyarados out of Bounce PP.
  • In set details, another viable EV spread is 252 HP/96 Def/160 SpD (still with a Sassy nature), which allows Gastrodon to serve as stronger answer to powerful Special attackers such as Alakazam, Nidoqueen and Mega-Blastoise without sacrificing too much physical bulk.
  • Take out the bit about Gastrodon's "poor Special bulk" - 111 HP/82 SDef is actually pretty good for the tier, and actually makes Gastrodon roughly comparable to an Empoleon with similar investment. You can still keep the bit about being wary of strong Special attackers such as Hydreigon, however.
  • In team support, expand on it by saying that cleric support is vital, as otherwise Gastrodon is completely shut down by Toxic or neutered by burns from WoW or Sacred Fire.
  • Under team options, Florges is probably the single best partner for Gastrodon - it comfortably switches into what might be the strongest answer to Curse Gastro, Taunt Hydreigon, as well as many offensive Grass types, while also providing Aromatherapy support.
  • Take out the bit about "slow pivots" like Forry - Gastrodon actually has reasonable bulk and a large number of switch-in opportunities due to its typing and ability, so a slow Volt Switch doesn't help it any more than it helps any other sweeper. (Forry is still a useful partner for Rapid Spin support and its ability to take on many Grass types, of course.)
  • In OO, mention that a physically defensive set with Clear Smog or Toxic can be viable, but is largely outclassed by more reliable 'mons such as Milotic, and should only be considered if Gastrodon's immunities are vital to the team.
  • Under C&C, remove Alakazam from the list of things that beat Gastrodon, as neither checks nor counters Gastrodon unless it carries EBall (LO Psychic is a 3HKO, while a +1 EQ is a guaranteed OHKO). In fact, the only two Special Attackers that reliably beat it without running Grass moves are Kyurem and Hydreigon. Maybe mention that strong Special attackers that don't mind Scald or Earthquake such as Hydreigon and Kyurem beat it.
  • Under C&C with Taunt users, mention Sableye - though it doesn't love getting burnt, it can burn Gastrodon and prevent it from recovering while easily recovering off damage even from a +1 EQ.
Like I said, these changes are fairly substantial, so I'd like to reserve giving QC 2/3 until I see them, but will be happy to do so once they're implemented.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I believe that's all implemented
Take out the bit about "as long as Gastrodon survives the attack" on Mirror Coat - that should be more or less self-evident, and it makes it sound like Gastrodon struggles to not get OHKO'd - and there's no way you're OHKOing a Gastrodon with a non-Grass Special move. (Specs Kyurem's Draco Meteor, which is probably the single scariest Special attack in the tier, does ~70-80%.)

Other than that, go ahead and take that QC.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
what up man. first of all, i'm really sorry for the delay in this check

[OVERVIEW]

"This allows it to function as a more defensive Curse user" - change "defensive Curse user" to "utility oriented Curse user"

"which leaves it vulnerable to even some resisted physical hits, such as Entei's Sacred Fire" - It can tank Entei's Sacred Fire well enough, but it can't deal with eventual burns. With that said, I'd mention that it's very weak to status instead of how it's vulnerable to (resisted) physical hits.

The Seismitoad mention is weird. Talk about Swampert instead, since that's the staple dual Water/Ground-typed Pokemon in UU. Also, the revenge killing mentions are weird and out of place. I think that it's fair to talk about revenge killing when mentioning sweepers that force you to sacrifice stuff so you can eliminate them afterwards, which doesn't apply to a slow Pokemon that relies mostly on Curse and has a decent amount of reliable switch ins.

[SET]

"moderately lessens its reliance on a cleric" - Not really. Having a Cleric is a must with Gastrodon and I'm not sure if I can stress this enough.

Mention Ice Beam in moves. Having a consistent way of hitting Ground-immune Dragon-types is really handy in some match ups, although Scald is more reliable all around.

Talk about how Gastrodon should be wary of common Toxic and Will-O-Wisp users in Usage Tips, as they make Gastrodon a lot less scary and easy to break down.

Team Options - Gastrodon can't set up Milotic, as they often carry Haze. I also disagree with Gastrodon being a good partner for "special wallbreakers", so remove that segment. If you really want to talk about offensive partners then Fire-type Pokemon (mostly Entei though) are good with Gastrodon due to their ability to threaten Grass-type Pokemon and make use of the free turns they give. However, everything else is really good.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

OO could be fleshed out a lot more, in my opinion. A tank set with Scald / Earth Power / Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb / Recover with Life Orb or even Leftovers and max SpA investment is an unique niche that Swampert, Seismitoad and even Quagsire can't pull off, as the former two lack instant recovery and the latter is weak as balls. It can be deadly with a Storm Drain boost under its belt.

Gastrodon gets Memento as well, which can be used to set up a surprise Slurpuff or Cloyster sweep, but mention how it's very unreliable and forces the Gastrodon user to drop an important move.

C&C order should be the following: Grass-type Pokemon > Status (mention burns instead of just Toxic) > Powerful Special Attackers (with a big mention to Taunt Hydreigon) > Ground-type Immunities (with a lot of examples and mentions about how not all of them actually stop Gastrodon, since it can force some Flying-type Pokemon to Roost eventually) > Lures

(remove Taunt because Sableye hates burns and Gastrodon is often paired up with Florges. The other relevant Taunt user (Hydreigon) already has a mention.

3/3 after you implement all of the changes. Be careful with your writing, by the way, as I feel that some parts are a little shaky at the moment.

Last edited:
OO could be fleshed out a lot more, in my opinion. A tank set with Scald / Earth Power / Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb / Recover with Life Orb or even Leftovers and max SpA investment is an unique niche that Swampert, Seismitoad and even Quagsire can't pull off, as the former two lack instant recovery and the latter is weak as balls. It can be deadly with a Storm Drain boost under its belt.
Can I just take a minute to air some grievances about the inconsistency of our QC team? When Threw first wrote this up I told him to include such a set in Other Options, but was removed by request of previous QC "look-overs". I've talked to nv about that set being removed, and kreme advocated for it to be removed before the first check. Excellent points have been made in favour of removing that set. Now, fast-forward to QC #3, and it's being requested to be brought back. Should Threw have that set listed or no? Speed is an issue with that set and as mentioned, it's pitifully weak before a boost (also can't beat CM Suicune with any coverage moves).

It's going to be hard for any user to get anything through QC if an agreement can't be made in terms of what goes on an analysis and what doesn't. I don't want to sound abrasive, but something like Gastrodon should have been out the door quickly - this isn't a controversial or prevalent threat in the UU metagame and it really only does one or two things moderately well. Granted, IRL comes before Smogon and other things will take precedent. I get that. I don't know if you guys have a PM system / Skype or Discord chat to discuss each analysis, but you guys need one. It doesn't feel like you guys are on the same page and we don't need this being an issue for any future analyses, especially with Sun and Moon approaching (albeit, not for another 8 months).

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
hi threw

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Gastrodon has access to many unique tools that combine to make it a viable defensive threat in the UnderUsed metagame. Its Water / Ground (dash to slash) typing combined with an excellent ability in Storm Drain give gives (typing is singular) it a number of useful resistances and immunities, making it an optimal Scald switch-in as well as a threat to VoltTurn cores. Because of its access to Recover, Gastrodon further distinguishes itself from other Curse users like Swampert and Snorlax, (comma) as the instantaneous recovery allows Gastrodon to heal damage without putting itself to sleep. This allows it to function as a more utility-oriented Curse user (RC) whose purpose in setting up with Curse is less to sweep than to improve its ability to check physical attackers. However, while it has impressive special bulk, it is extremely weak to status, and its mediocre physical bulk prevents it from countering numerous offensive threats. Unlike Swampert, it does not possess Stealth Rock or Roar and has little utility outside of its helpful immunities. These cons, along with the sheer number of effective defensive Water-types in the tier, make Gastrodon a very niche Pokemon in UnderUsed.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse increases Gastrodon's offensive and defensive capabilities while only decreasing its already awful Speed. Recover boosts Gastrodon's longevity, allowing it to switch into powerful threats throughout a match and still survive for a potential late-game sweep. Earthquake is its most powerful STAB attack and deals massive damage once boosted—however, Gastrodon only has a mediocre base 83 Attack stat, so its damage output before boosting will be far from threatening. Scald is an extremely useful move that prevents Gastrodon from being utterly useless before boosting and lends it some potential anti-offense utility by spreading burns. Ice Beam can be used to hit Ground-immune Dragon-types, although Scald is largely the more reliable and useful move.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Sassy nature provide Gastrodon with enough bulk to sponge hits from the tier's most threatening special attackers while maintaining sufficient physical bulk to avoid 2HKOs from the likes of Cobalion. The primary benchmark this spread meets is avoiding a 2HKO from Nidoqueen's Earth Power after Stealth Rock damage. 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD is another viable spread that makes Gastrodon an even better answer to Alakazam, Nidoqueen, Mega Blastoise, and other powerful special attackers, although it leaves Gastrodon susceptible to 2HKOs from even relatively weak physical attackers such as Crobat and the aforementioned Cobalion. Leftovers gives Gastrodon passive recovery, which compounds the health it can regain with Recover. Storm Drain is a large part of Gastrodon's niche in UnderUsed, as it grants an extremely useful immunity to Water-type moves while boosting its Special Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Gastrodon sets up Curse on quite a few of the tier's special attackers and Water-types, especially Suicune and Gyarados, which it can notably stall out of Bounce PP, barring any critical hits. However, it is extremely weak before setting up and therefore cannot reliably be expected to check even physically frail threats that it hits super effectively with Earthquake, such as Lucario, which it has a low chance to OHKO. While its special bulk is nothing to scoff at, Gastrodon's pales in comparison to Snorlax's, so it is more vulnerable to being worn down by extremely powerful special attackers, especially if it's been Taunted. While Gastrodon's typing and ability allow it to switch into many attackers freely, be sure to keep it healthy, or it will struggle to check strong threats. Be especially wary of Toxic and Will-O-Wisp users, as they seriously cripple Gastrodon and make it much less threatening defensively. Should you intend to sweep with Gastrodon, it must be put off until it is late in the game and all the other team's Grass-types and especially powerful special attackers have been removed, as the former will always force it out and the latter are extremely effective revenge killers irregardless regardless of how many Curse boosts Gastrodon has managed to get off.

Team Options
========

Gastrodon's greatest weakness is to Grass-types, so Pokemon that can repeatedly counter them, such as Zapdos and Mandibuzz, make for marvelous teammates. Entei is another option capable of pressuring Grass-types offensively and punishing switch-ins. Cleric support is vital, as Gastrodon is crippled by burns from Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp and devastated by Toxic; this makes Florges, which is also capable of switching into one of Gastrodon's greatest threats in Taunt Hydreigon as well as many of the tier's Grass-types, perhaps the single best partner for Gastrodon it. Toxic Spikes can take advantage of the turns Gastrodon eats by setting up and recovering and soften its checks; the user of this move that has easily the best defensive synergy with Gastrodon is Roserade. It is extremely important to pair Gastrodon with some form of entry hazard removal, since Toxic Spikes can and will wear it down, preventing it from checking the threats it should. Forretress is a teammate capable of countering most of the tier's Grass-types and removing only the opponent's hazards with Rapid Spin, but Crobat in particular has phenomenal defensive synergy with Gastrodon as well as access to Defog and Roost, which increases its longevity so that it can switch into Grass-types throughout a match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

A physically defensive set with Clear Smog or Toxic is not non-viable unviable but is largely outclassed by more reliable defensive threats such as Milotic. This set should only be considered if Gastrodon's immunities are essential to a team's success. A maximum Special Attack Life Orb set with Scald / Earth Power / Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb / Recover can be very threatening after a Storm Drain boost. Yawn can force Grass-types switching into Gastrodon back out before they can attack it, limiting a team's options of countering it. Mirror Coat can help Gastrodon deal with powerful special attackers that take little damage from both of its STAB attacks. Memento is an interesting option to potentially clear the way for a surprise sweep from the likes of Slurpuff and Cloyster, but it is unreliable and forces Gastrodon to forfeit a more consistently useful move.

Checks and Counters
========

**Grass-types**: Every Grass-type in the tier except Whimsicott OHKOes Gastrodon with its 4x super effective STAB attacks, and only Roserade fears switching directly into either of Gastrodon's attacking moves.

**Status**: Paralysis is simply annoying rather than devastating, but no amount of recovery can prevent Gastrodon from being worn down if it is afflicted with Toxic status poison, (or just Toxic, or "bad poison" maybe, w/e) and burn is nearly as debilitating.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers that don't mind switching into Scald, such as Kyurem, can deal massive damage to Gastrodon, effectively revenge killing it or preventing it from setting up. Taunt Hydreigon in particular is a massive threat, as it can prevent Gastrodon from recovering and render it useless thanks to its typing and Levitate.

**Flying-types and Levitate Users**: Most Flying-types and Levitate users aren't terribly weakened hindered by a Scald burn, so they often shut down the Curse set and must be removed before Gastrodon can attempt a sweep. That said, not all Flying-types are capable of simply waiting Gastrodon out, especially if they contract a Scald burn. Crobat and Zapdos lacking Hidden Power Grass are two prominent examples of Flying-types that Gastrodon can wear down and force to Roost, taking the opportunity to do massive damage with Earthquake.

**Grass-type Coverage and Lures**: HP Hidden Power Grass from Zapdos and Grass Knot from Empoleon are examples of coverage moves that seriously threaten Gastrodon. Something Gastrodon needs to be aware of—but not necessarily afraid of—is a Freeze-Dry from Mamoswine, as it's a comfortable 2HKO.

Last edited:
Amateur check comin' through!
Add
Remove
(Comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Gastrodon has access to many unique tools that combine to make it a viable defensive threat in the UnderUsed metagame. Its Water / Ground typing combined with an excellent ability in Storm Drain gives it a number of useful resistances and immunities, particularly making it an optimal Scald switch-in as well as a threat to VoltTurn cores. Because of its access to Recover, Gastrodon further distinguishes itself from other Curse users like ("such as" would be the proper grammar here, but I think the sentence flows better with "like" so I'll leave it as is :) Swampert and Snorlax, as the instantaneous recovery allows Gastrodon to heal damage without putting itself to sleep. This allows lets (to avoid repeating "allows") it to function as a more utility-oriented Curse user whose purpose in setting up with Curse is less to sweep than to improve its ability to check physical attackers. However, while it Gastrodon has impressive special bulk, it is extremely weak to status, and its mediocre physical bulk prevents it from countering numerous offensive threats. Unlike Swampert, it does not possess Stealth Rock or Roar and has little utility outside of its helpful immunities. These cons, along with the sheer number of effective defensive Water-types in the tier, make Gastrodon a very niche Pokemon in UnderUsed.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse increases Gastrodon's offensive and defensive capabilities while only decreasing its already awful Speed. Recover boosts Gastrodon's longevity, allowing it to switch into powerful threats throughout a match and still survive for a potential late-game sweep. Earthquake is its most powerful STAB attack and deals massive damage once boosted; (<<add semicolon) &mdash;(add a space here)however, Gastrodon only has a mediocre base 83 Attack stat, so its damage output before boosting will be far from threatening. Scald prevents Gastrodon from being utterly useless before boosting and lends it some potential anti-offense utility by spreading burns. Ice Beam can be used in the last slot to hit Ground-immune Dragon-types, although Scald is largely the more reliable and useful move.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Sassy nature provide Gastrodon with enough bulk to sponge hits from the tier's most threatening special attackers while maintaining sufficient physical bulk to avoid 2HKOs from the likes of Cobalion. The primary benchmark this spread meets is avoiding a 2HKO from Nidoqueen's Earth Power after Stealth Rock damage. 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD is another viable spread that makes Gastrodon an even better answer to Alakazam, Nidoqueen, Mega Blastoise, and other powerful special attackers, although it leaves Gastrodon susceptible to 2HKOs from even relatively weak physical attackers such as Crobat and the aforementioned Cobalion. Leftovers gives Gastrodon passive recovery, which compounds lets it the health it can regain even more HP in conjunction with Recover. Storm Drain is a large part of Gastrodon's niche in UnderUsed, as it grants an extremely useful immunity to Water-type moves while boosting its (<<this was left over from when you implemented the first check :D Debold this word and change the color to black again) Special Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Gastrodon sets up Curse on quite a few of the tier's special attackers and Water-types, especially Suicune and Gyarados, the latter of which it can notably stall out of Bounce PP, (remove comma) barring any critical hits. However, it Gastrodon is extremely weak before setting up and therefore cannot reliably be expected to check even physically frail threats that it hits super effectively with Earthquake, such as Lucario, which it has a low chance to OHKO. While its special bulk is nothing to scoff at, Gastrodon's pales in comparison to Snorlax's, so it is more vulnerable to being worn down by extremely powerful special attackers, especially if it's been Taunted. While Gastrodon's typing and ability allow it to switch into many attackers freely, be sure to keep it healthy, or it will struggle to check strong threats. Be especially wary of Toxic and Will-O-Wisp users, as they seriously cripple Gastrodon and make it much less threatening defensively. Should you intend to sweep with Gastrodon, it must be put off until it is late in the game and all the other team's Grass-types and especially powerful special attackers have been removed, as the former will always force it out and the latter are extremely effective revenge killers regardless of how many Curse boosts Gastrodon has managed to get off.

Team Options
========

Gastrodon's greatest weakness is to Grass-types, so Pokemon that can repeatedly counter them, such as Zapdos and Mandibuzz, make for marvelous teammates. Entei is another option capable of pressuring Grass-types offensively and punishing switch-ins. Cleric support is vital, as Gastrodon is crippled by burns from Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp and devastated by Toxic; this makes Florges, which is also capable of switching into one of Gastrodon's greatest threats in Taunt Hydreigon as well as many of the tier's Grass-types, perhaps the single best partner for it. Toxic Spikes can take advantage of the turns Gastrodon eats by setting up and recovering and soften its wear down Gastrodon's checks without Gastrodon having to directly damage the opponent, leaving it more free to set up and recover HP as needed; the user of this move that Roserade in particular has easily the best defensive synergy with Gastrodon is Roserade. It is extremely important to pair Gastrodon with some form of entry hazard removal, since Toxic Spikes can and will wear it down, preventing it from checking the threats it should. Forretress is capable of countering most of the tier's Grass-types and removing only the opponent's hazards with Rapid Spin, but Crobat in particular has phenomenal defensive synergy with Gastrodon as well as access to Defog and Roost, which increases its longevity so that it can switch into Grass-types throughout a match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

A physically defensive set with Clear Smog or Toxic is not unviable but is largely outclassed by more reliable defensive threats such as Milotic. This set should only be considered if Gastrodon's immunities are essential to a team's success. A maximum Special Attack Life Orb set with Scald, (add comma) Earth Power, Ice Beam, (add commas) / Earth Power / Ice Beam or and Sludge Bomb / or Recover can be very threatening after a Storm Drain boost. Yawn can force Grass-types switching into Gastrodon back out before they can attack it, limiting a team's options of countering it. Mirror Coat can help Gastrodon deal with powerful special attackers that take little damage from both of its STAB attacks. Memento is an interesting option to potentially clear the way for a surprise sweep from the likes of Slurpuff and Cloyster, but it is unreliable and forces Gastrodon to forfeit a more consistently useful move.

Checks and Counters
========

**Grass-types**: Every Grass-type in the tier except Whimsicott OHKOes Gastrodon with its their 4x super effective STAB attacks, and only Roserade fears switching directly into either of Gastrodon's attacking moves.

**Status**: Paralysis is simply annoying rather than devastating, but no amount of recovery can prevent Gastrodon from being worn down if it is afflicted with Toxic poison, and burn is nearly as debilitating.

**Flying-types and Levitate Users**: Most Flying-types and Levitate users aren't terribly hindered by a Scald burn, so they often shut down the Curse set and must be removed before Gastrodon can attempt a sweep. That said, not all Flying-types are capable of simply waiting (what does "waiting" mean in this sentence? It's very unclear. If "stalling Gastrodon out" could go in its place, then I would recommend replacing it with that) Gastrodon out, especially if they contract a Scald burn. Crobat and Zapdos lacking Hidden Power Grass are two prominent examples of Flying-types that Gastrodon can wear down and force to Roost, taking the opportunity to do massive damage with Earthquake.

**Grass-type Coverage and Lures**: Hidden Power Grass from Zapdos and Grass Knot from Empoleon are examples of coverage moves that seriously threaten Gastrodon. Something Gastrodon needs to be aware of but not necessarily afraid of &mdash;but not necessarily afraid of&mdash; is a the occasional Freeze-Dry from Mamoswine, as it's a comfortable 2HKO.

add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Gastrodon has access to many unique tools that combine to make it a viable defensive threat in the UnderUsed metagame. Its Water / Ground typing combined with an excellent ability in Storm Drain gives it a number of useful resistances and immunities, particularly making it an optimal Scald switch-in as well as a threat to VoltTurn cores. Because of its access to Recover, Gastrodon further distinguishes itself from other Curse users like Swampert and Snorlax, as the instantaneous recovery allows Gastrodon to heal damage without putting itself to sleep. This lets it function as a more utility-oriented Curse user whose purpose in setting up with Curse is less to sweep than to improve its ability to check physical attackers. However, while Gastrodon has impressive special bulk, it is extremely weak to status, and its mediocre physical bulk prevents it from countering numerous offensive threats without a couple of boosts. Unlike Swampert, it does not possess Stealth Rock or Roar and has little utility outside of its helpful immunities. These cons, along with the sheer number of effective defensive Water-types in the tier, make Gastrodon a very niche Pokemon in UnderUsed.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse increases Gastrodon's offensive and defensive capabilities while only decreasing its already awful Speed. Recover boosts Gastrodon's longevity, allowing it to switch into powerful threats throughout a match and still survive for a potential late-game sweep. Earthquake is its most powerful STAB attack and deals massive damage once boosted; however, Gastrodon only has a mediocre base 83 Attack stat, so its damage output before boosting will be far from threatening. Scald prevents Gastrodon from being utterly useless before boosting setting up (i think "boosting" and co. have been used once per sentence or so) and lends it some potential anti-offense utility by spreading burns. Ice Beam can be used in the last slot to hit Ground-immune Dragon-types, although Scald is largely the more reliable and useful move.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Sassy nature provide Gastrodon with enough bulk to sponge hits from the tier's most threatening special attackers while maintaining sufficient physical bulk to avoid 2HKOs from the likes of Cobalion. The primary benchmark this spread meets is avoiding a 2HKO from Nidoqueen's Earth Power after Stealth Rock damage. 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD is another viable spread that makes Gastrodon an even better answer to Alakazam, Nidoqueen, Mega Blastoise, and other powerful special attackers, although it leaves Gastrodon susceptible to 2HKOs from even relatively weak physical attackers such as Crobat and the aforementioned Cobalion. Leftovers gives Gastrodon passive recovery, which lets it heal even more HP in conjunction with Recover. Storm Drain is a large part of Gastrodon's niche in UnderUsed, as it grants an extremely useful immunity to Water-type moves while boosting its Special Attack when hit by one.

Usage Tips
========

Gastrodon sets up Curse on quite a few of the tier's special attackers and Water-types, especially Suicune and Gyarados, the latter of which it can stall out of Bounce PP barring any critical hits. However, Gastrodon is extremely weak before setting up and therefore cannot reliably be expected to check even physically frail threats that it hits super effectively with Earthquake, such as Lucario, which it has a low chance to OHKO. While its special bulk is nothing to scoff at, Gastrodon's pales in comparison to Snorlax's, so it is more vulnerable to being worn down by extremely powerful special attackers, especially if it's been Taunted. While Gastrodon's typing and ability allow it to switch into many attackers freely, be sure to keep it healthy, or it will struggle to check strong threats. Be especially wary of Toxic and Will-O-Wisp users, as they seriously cripple Gastrodon and make it much less threatening defensively. Should you intend to sweep with Gastrodon, it must be put off until it is late in the game and all the other opposing team's Grass-types and especially powerful special attackers have been removed, as the former will always force it out and the latter are extremely effective revenge killers regardless of how many Curse boosts Gastrodon has managed to get off.

Team Options
========

Gastrodon's greatest weakness is to Grass-types, so Pokemon that can repeatedly counter them, such as Zapdos and Mandibuzz, make for marvelous teammates. Entei is another option capable of pressuring Grass-types offensively and punishing switch-ins. Cleric support is vital, as Gastrodon is crippled by burns from Sacred Fire and Will-O-Wisp and devastated by Toxic; this makes Florges, which is also capable of switching into one of Gastrodon's greatest threats in Taunt Hydreigon as well as many of the tier's Grass-types, perhaps the single best partner for it. Toxic Spikes can(space)wear down Gastrodon's checks without Gastrodon having to directly damage them the opponent, leaving it more free to set up and recover HP as needed;(space)Roserade in particular has the best defensive synergy with Gastrodon. It is extremely important to pair Gastrodon with some form of entry hazard removal, since Toxic Spikes can and will wear it down, preventing it from checking the threats it should. Forretress is capable of countering most of the tier's Grass-types and removing only the opponent's hazards with Rapid Spin, but Crobat in particular has phenomenal defensive synergy with Gastrodon as well as access to Defog and Roost, which increases its longevity so that it can switch into Grass-types throughout a match.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

A physically defensive set with Clear Smog or Toxic is not unviable but is largely outclassed by more reliable defensive threats such as Milotic. This set should only be considered if Gastrodon's immunities are essential to a team's success. A maximum Special Attack Life Orb set with Scald, Earth Power, Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb, and Recover can be very threatening after a Storm Drain boost. Yawn can force Grass-types switching into Gastrodon back out before they can attack it, limiting a team's options of countering it. Mirror Coat can help Gastrodon deal with powerful special attackers that take little damage from both of its STAB attacks. Memento is an interesting option to potentially clear the way for a surprise sweep from the likes of Slurpuff and Cloyster, but it is unreliable and forces Gastrodon to forfeit a more consistently useful move.

Checks and Counters
========

**Grass-types**: Every Grass-type in the tier except Whimsicott OHKOes Gastrodon with their 4x super effective STAB attacks, and only Roserade fears switching directly into either of Gastrodon's attacking moves.

**Flying-types and Levitate Users**: Most Flying-types and Levitate users aren't terribly hindered by a Scald burn, so they often shut down the Curse set and must be removed before Gastrodon can attempt a sweep. That said, not all Flying-types are capable of simply stalling Gastrodon out, especially if they contract a Scald burn. Crobat and Zapdos lacking Hidden Power Grass are two prominent examples of Flying-types that Gastrodon can wear down and force to Roost, taking the opportunity to do massive damage with Earthquake.

**Grass-type Coverage and Lures**: Hidden Power Grass from Zapdos and Grass Knot from Empoleon are examples of coverage moves that seriously threaten Gastrodon. Something Gastrodon needs to be aware of but not necessarily afraid of is(space)the occasional Freeze-Dry from Mamoswine, as it's a comfortable 2HKO.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)