Gen 5 offensive OU team (First)

Introduction:

Hello everyone. This is my first Smogon Gen 5 RMT for OU play. I made this team steadily through much trial and error, but have finally come up with a team that works pretty well. I want to eliminate whatever weaknesses I can so let me know what you think, ok?​

The Team

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Hp
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast

Favorite Gen 5 Pokemon, and not just because it looks epic. Draco meteor for punching holes early-game, Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse for cleaning up late-game, and Fire Blast provides great coverage. This thing hits so hard its amazing, blasting huge holes in the foes team with Specs Draco Meteor, which turns everything but Steels and Chansey/Blissey into pink mist. As much as I love this set, I may use a Scarf set instead to allow for faster sweeping and cleaning, but this is pretty well covered by Scizor, Conkeldurr and Rotom.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse

Possessing awesome Special Attack and great Defenses and Resistances, Heatran is a great Pokemon overall. As a bonus, he gains more firepower (pun intended) when switching into the Fire moves aimed at Scizor thanks to Flash Fire. It also makes great use of Stealth Rock, which is nice considering the constant switching this team seems to cause. Fire Blast is an awesomely powerful move, and when backed up by its other moves, this Heatran has perfect neutral coverage.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Sp. Def
Scald
Taunt
Toxic
Recover

Bulky Waters. Few teams should be without them. Its wonderful typing provides much appreciated resistences and immunities, sponging notable types such as Ice, Water and especially Fighting. Taunt is there mostly to stop those annoying Sub-Seeders and/or Poison Heal abusers like Breloom and Gliscor. Also provides perfect defensive synergy alongside Hydreigon. Bold nature is for a little extra physical bulk, helping it benefit more from Scald Burns while letting it maintain its role as a special wall. Jellicent owns those Rain teams that are everywhere, which is great.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Sp. Def
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Payback
Mach Punch

Revenge kills, Sets up and deals huge damage while healing itself. Whats not to like? This thing has been a great asset on many occasions. Makes an awesome revenge killer and switch-in, gaining a great power boost thanks to Guts and Flame Orb, which also ensures protection against Sleep, Freezing or Paralysis.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Speed
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Brick Break
U-Turn

Fantastic scout and revenge killer, and provides a little extra defense against Dragons locked into Outrage. Bullet Punch is Bullet Punch. Any competitive battler worth his salt knows what a Banded BP is capable of. Pursuit takes care of any fleeing Psychics and Ghosts. Brick Break is for smashing Screens and Excadrill's face. U-Turn is a great scouting move as well as a powerful STAB attack.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Trick

A generally fun Pokemon with a cool design and great Typing. Makes a great scout that can deal nice damage with Volt Switch, or just attack outright with its more powerful STAB moves. Trick can screw up many unsuspecting enemies if played right, which is always great. This thing really puts the hurt on Gliscor, and helps deal with those annoying rain teams that are all over the place.​

Other Options

-Im still not entirely sure of whether or not to use Quick attack on Scizor. While it would do good priority damage to the likes of Zapdos, Infernape and Gyarados, its current moveset seems generally more useful.

Edit:

Heavily updated the team, and so I'll need some more input in order to detect any noteworthy flaws.

And there you have it. My first ever RMT, so let me know what you think.
Constructive criticism greatly appreciated! :toast:

i have to go to sleep soon, so i will be brief.

-Hydreigon can keep its modest nature for extra firepower and run choice scarf; 98 speed is not good enough anymore.
-What is the hidden power on your volcorona? can you figure out the IVs? instead of WoW (which jellicent should use instead), have HP be a coverage move if its a good HP type.
-Thunder wave does not go well with a gyro ball ferrothorn. You lack a special wall, so replace gyarados with jellicent.
-Conkledurr looks fine, except use a flame orb because you will heal off any burn damage anyways and it will always ensure that you get status'ed.
-use choice band on scizor. CB bullet punch can be deadly. Replace brick break with superpower to hit harder. with a choice item, you will be switching often anyways. Replace quick attack with pursuit; bullet punch is almost always the better choice.
-I have nothing to say about ferrothorn, except invest its EVs into more physical bulk. jellicent is there to take special hits.

i have to go to sleep soon, so i will be brief.

-Hydreigon can keep its modest nature for extra firepower and run choice scarf; 98 speed is not good enough anymore.
-What is the hidden power on your volcorona? can you figure out the IVs? instead of WoW (which jellicent should use instead), have HP be a coverage move if its a good HP type.
-Thunder wave does not go well with a gyro ball ferrothorn. You lack a special wall, so replace gyarados with jellicent.
-Conkledurr looks fine, except use a flame orb because you will heal off any burn damage anyways and it will always ensure that you get status'ed.
-use choice band on scizor. CB bullet punch can be deadly. Replace brick break with superpower to hit harder. with a choice item, you will be switching often anyways. Replace quick attack with pursuit; bullet punch is almost always the better choice.
-I have nothing to say about ferrothorn, except invest its EVs into more physical bulk. jellicent is there to take special hits.
Thanks for the advice! The changes have been made. Although the thing with Volcarona is that although it has a useful Hidden Power type (Ground), it has a very low base power, which is a darn shame.

Ok the major weakness I see in your team is that magnezone would destroy your ferrothorn, scizor, and jellicent. Not much of your team can handle a hit from specs or Life orb magnezone. Hydreigon can switch in a few times for saving jellicent, but for the other two you know it is over.

This clearly means that you are weak to the growing popular strategy of using two dragons with magnezone which your team is weak to.

On top of that you are not in control of the weather which doesn't work well for your team at all. Tyranitar is Mr. Inelastic. You could use one on your team just because of weather. Tyranitar would also help to set up Stealth Rocks which your team doesn't even have. If a fully health skarm comes in on your volcarona if it can set up you would get hit by brave bird or whirlwinded out.
I would use tyranitar over conkeldurr more than likely. (Spdef ttar is best imo)

I think you should also consider running the chesto volcarona set over your current one.

Lastly your team is weak to baton pass teams.
I would suggest skarmory over ferrothorn. It can get out spikes and has better usage for your team and in the metagame. Now you have a pretty good core going for you also.

I hope this helps

Ok the major weakness I see in your team is that magnezone would destroy your ferrothorn, scizor, and jellicent. Not much of your team can handle a hit from specs or Life orb magnezone. Hydreigon can switch in a few times for saving jellicent, but for the other two you know it is over.

This clearly means that you are weak to the growing popular strategy of using two dragons with magnezone which your team is weak to.

On top of that you are not in control of the weather which doesn't work well for your team at all. Tyranitar is Mr. Inelastic. You could use one on your team just because of weather. Tyranitar would also help to set up Stealth Rocks which your team doesn't even have. If a fully health skarm comes in on your volcarona if it can set up you would get hit by brave bird or whirlwinded out.
I would use tyranitar over conkeldurr more than likely. (Spdef ttar is best imo)

I think you should also consider running the chesto volcarona set over your current one.

Lastly your team is weak to baton pass teams.
I would suggest skarmory over ferrothorn. It can get out spikes and has better usage for your team and in the metagame. Now you have a pretty good core going for you also.

I hope this helps
Ah yes, Magnezone... If it were carrying Hidden Power Fire, it would be a pretty great threat. But even then, Volcarona, Conkeldurr and Hydreigon could simply kill it outright. For any of the other H/P Types commonly used by Magnezone, Ferrothorn would wall it pretty well.
I would love to fit a Tyranitar on my team, but replacing Conkeldurr would rid me of a very powerful Fighting type priority move (courtesy of Flame Orb + Guts), which is necessary for taking care of opposing Tyranitar, Lucario, Speed Boost Blaziken, Excadrill and Shell Smash Cloyster, all of which have throttled me quite thoroughly in the past...
Skarmory being a great entry hazard abuser, was always highly appealing for me, but its heavily vulnerable to Magnezone (barring prediction with whirlwind), as opposed to a slight risk like Ferrothorn... so Im not sure. Also, I need Ferrothorn to counter the ever-common Bulky waters.
I'll still give Skarmory a try, and if it doesnt work out as well I can always just fit it onto another team!
And I have never heard of such a set for Volcarona, what is it exactly?

relatively new to this (only my second post here) but if you want stealth rock / spike support but don't want to swap ferro out for skarm then can't you just loose curse and put on Stealth rock or spikes, or if your a fan of curse loose power whip or gyro ball?

relatively new to this (only my second post here) but if you want stealth rock / spike support but don't want to swap ferro out for skarm then can't you just loose curse and put on Stealth rock or spikes, or if your a fan of curse loose power whip or gyro ball?
Actually... I think I may swap Ferro for Skarm and use Ferro on my Trick Room / Sandstorm team as a bulky water/rain team counter and Spiker (will post RMT eventually, once I've worked this team out). Only prob is deciding on a moveset... Im leaning towards:
Item: Shed Shell
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Speed
Moveset:
Drill Peck / Spikes / Stealth Rock / Taunt
Drill Peck / Spikes / Stealth Rock / Taunt
Roar
Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)