Gen IV & Beyond Remakes - Is There A Demand?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Um... you're welcome.

But yeah, I would love to see Sinnoh be remade. Of course, I feel Sinnoh doesn't even really need to be remade since it's already pretty good, but it would be a cool thing for them to do. Released in 2006 in Japan and 2007 everywhere else besides Korea, the games are about 9 to 10 years old. Nearly a decade! Red and Blue remakes were out in less than that.
Nono, FireRed and LeafGreen were released everywhere at some point in 2004. That's definitely before generation IV.

There is lots of demand for a remake of generation IV and, despite being released after FRLG, more need for one too. The game engine used in those games is terrible as they were released not too long after the DS had first being released and game devs didn't know how to optimise DS games at that point. This means that the games are sluggish and slow, and this overshadows other actually very good things which the games do. The regions are already quite beautiful IMO, and in 3D this could only be accelerated, and unlike Gen VI the gym leaders, champion, and even some E4 (mainly Flint) have genuine personalities displayed during the game. Not to mention Looker will go back to having a notable role if they choose to include him, which given that he's been brought back in every game since, would surprise me if they didn't incorporate him into the series. It would also be well timed, as a lot of people who played it as kids will now be older and either have incomes or some kind of way to get money in order to buy the games if they do want a nostalgia fix and might return to the series accordingly. No Gen IV remakes in Gen VII would be a true shame and I don't think it's something that's going to happen.

However, we're looking too far into the future, really. Gen VI hasn't ended yet, and then we've got the first games of Gen VII to think about too. Those two sets of games will take 2-3 years to come out, so the Gen IV remakes, which will also need development time, probably won't be coming to us before 2019 or 2020. Talking about it now is quite hasty. :x

Nono, FireRed and LeafGreen were released everywhere at some point in 2004. That's definitely before generation IV.

There is lots of demand for a remake of generation IV and, despite being released after FRLG, more need for one too. The game engine used in those games is terrible as they were released not too long after the DS had first being released and game devs didn't know how to optimise DS games at that point. This means that the games are sluggish and slow, and this overshadows other actually very good things which the games do. The regions are already quite beautiful IMO, and in 3D this could only be accelerated, and unlike Gen VI the gym leaders, champion, and even some E4 (mainly Flint) have genuine personalities displayed during the game. Not to mention Looker will go back to having a notable role if they choose to include him, which given that he's been brought back in every game since, would surprise me if they didn't incorporate him into the series. It would also be well timed, as a lot of people who played it as kids will now be older and either have incomes or some kind of way to get money in order to buy the games if they do want a nostalgia fix and might return to the series accordingly. No Gen IV remakes in Gen VII would be a true shame and I don't think it's something that's going to happen.

However, we're looking too far into the future, really. Gen VI hasn't ended yet, and then we've got the first games of Gen VII to think about too. Those two sets of games will take 2-3 years to come out, so the Gen IV remakes, which will also need development time, probably won't be coming to us before 2019 or 2020. Talking about it now is quite hasty. :x
1.) I was talking about the time span from when FR/LG came out before R/B/Y.

2.) Diamond and Pearl were somewhat lacking, but again, Platinum really stepped everything up. Maybe the game engines weren't top-of-the-world, but I'm not like one of those modern gamers who freaks out because the graphics don't look up-to-date. They're presentable, and the region itself- as you said- is already beautiful, so I think even though they're not in 3D, they look good.

3.) If they keep the characters' personalities in, I'm sure they'll be fine. That wasn't too big of a problem in OR/AS.

4.) Maybe so, but the main series games are on a stall break right now. I'd be rather PO'd if we got reremakes of Gen 1 instead.

I'd kill for Generation IV remakes but I think Gen VII's all new Pokémon games, assuming they'll exist, are probably the next priority? I don't know. I have the feeling that Gen VII will be on the Nintendo 3DS and there won't be a remake with it, that remake to be saved for the next handheld system...

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
1.) I was talking about the time span from when FR/LG came out before R/B/Y.
Those situations are completely different, though. FRLG were released out of necessecity as a way for those interested in completing the PokéDex to have a way to capture the Pokemon missing from Ruby/Sapphire after backwards compatibility was terminated in the series. The only fair comparison to draw would be with ORAS as Ruby/Sapphire are still compatible with the Generation VI games, and the gap for that was 12 years in Japan (to a day). As such, we're not due any Gen IV remakes until the end of 2018. I think this would be better and is more likely to instead be 2019 so as to give the start of Generation VII enough breathing space and the remakes enough development time.
2.) Diamond and Pearl were somewhat lacking, but again, Platinum really stepped everything up. Maybe the game engines weren't top-of-the-world, but I'm not like one of those modern gamers who freaks out because the graphics don't look up-to-date. They're presentable, and the region itself- as you said- is already beautiful, so I think even though they're not in 3D, they look good.
The issue isn't graphics, though some declare Gen IV to be a worse-but-similar art style to Generation III. If someone mentions the game engine in accordance with Gen IV games, they will more times than not be referring to how god damn slow they are, which I even clarified on in the post you quoted when I mentioned the game engine. For some, this makes the generation unplayable. For me I don't find it unplayable, but I have to take breaks as I play through the games because it does genuinely take up a lot of time -- especially with the difficult level curve (in Platinum Crasher Wake is 5 levels higher than Maylene with no extra trainers inbetween besides a couple of gym trainers) necessitating grinding.
3.) If they keep the characters' personalities in, I'm sure they'll be fine. That wasn't too big of a problem in OR/AS.
I said it as a positive about the games already. The gym leaders tend to have even more personality in remakes than the originals, so it's certainly not a worry for me at this moment.
4.) Maybe so, but the main series games are on a stall break right now. I'd be rather PO'd if we got reremakes of Gen 1 instead.
How so? Just because the last games to be released were remakes it doesn't mean that the new games are on a break. This is the same as saying that because a Mario Tennis game was just released, the next Mario game to be announced must be Mario Tennis. We will get Pokemon Z next, and those who disagree with that assumption say we will get the first games of Gen VII next. Two remakes being released in a row in Pokemon is unprecedented.

Those situations are completely different, though. FRLG were released out of necessecity as a way for those interested in completing the PokéDex to have a way to capture the Pokemon missing from Ruby/Sapphire after backwards compatibility was terminated in the series. The only fair comparison to draw would be with ORAS as Ruby/Sapphire are still compatible with the Generation VI games, and the gap for that was 12 years in Japan (to a day). As such, we're not due any Gen IV remakes until the end of 2018. I think this would be better and is more likely to instead be 2019 so as to give the start of Generation VII enough breathing space and the remakes enough development time.

The issue isn't graphics, though some declare Gen IV to be a worse-but-similar art style to Generation III. If someone mentions the game engine in accordance with Gen IV games, they will more times than not be referring to how god damn slow they are, which I even clarified on in the post you quoted when I mentioned the game engine. For some, this makes the generation unplayable. For me I don't find it unplayable, but I have to take breaks as I play through the games because it does genuinely take up a lot of time -- especially with the difficult level curve (in Platinum Crasher Wake is 5 levels higher than Maylene with no extra trainers inbetween besides a couple of gym trainers) necessitating grinding.

I said it as a positive about the games already. The gym leaders tend to have even more personality in remakes than the originals, so it's certainly not a worry for me at this moment.

How so? Just because the last games to be released were remakes it doesn't mean that the new games are on a break. This is the same as saying that because a Mario Tennis game was just released, the next Mario game to be announced must be Mario Tennis. We will get Pokemon Z next, and those who disagree with that assumption say we will get the first games of Gen VII next. Two remakes being released in a row in Pokemon is unprecedented.
So FR/LG was just for the Dex? That's a bit of a pathetic reason to make a remake. Then again, it is a good one, and they were indeed necessary. From the day they were released, R/G/B have always wanted to be better games. I guess even if we do have to wait, we're rightful to want remakes. After all, they have stated Diamond and Pearl were just experiments with the DS.

Surfing is slow, I guess that's true, and the game engine is so slow that if you move with the bike fast enough it won't keep up and will glitch. I never got the impression that the games were too slow. Admittedly, Pearl was my first Pokemon game. I was around for earlier gens, I just happened to have never gotten into Pokemon until Gen 4. Though what you said about the difficulty is something I like. More Pokemon games need this type of difficulty rather than what BOTH Gen 6 games offered to us. People do need to shut up about graphics. They look good enough; it's not like they're Red and Blue or anything. I have to give credit to D/P for giving Munchlax a sprite without his big creepy eyes open. They look good in official artwork and stuff, but in sprite....

I mean that right now, they're just focusing on spin-offs. The E-shop games, Super Mystery Dungeon, Pokken, et cetera. Looking forward to Pokken for the Wii U. I have a strong feeling Z isn't happening at all. Those Zygarde forms are practically anime-only. Just for a story arc to make the dull as drab anime interesting.

I have a strong feeling Z isn't happening at all. Those Zygarde forms are practically anime-only. Just for a story arc to make the dull as drab anime interesting.
That.
Um.
You do realize that the anime is at it's core a big advertisement for the games, right? If they're making new forms and making a big deal about it, especially for a legendary Pokémon that at this point has no story surrounding it aside from dex entries and implications - ie exactly what happened with giratina and kyurem - then it's pretty obvious they're going to make a game for it especially when precedence has shown us that whether sequel (BW2) or third version (... every other gen) they have most all the resources made already in XY. It'd be like a Transformers show making an entirely new season advertising none of the new toys out.

That.
Um.
You do realize that the anime is at it's core a big advertisement for the games, right? If they're making new forms and making a big deal about it, especially for a legendary Pokémon that at this point has no story surrounding it aside from dex entries and implications - ie exactly what happened with giratina and kyurem - then it's pretty obvious they're going to make a game for it especially when precedence has shown us that whether sequel (BW2) or third version (... every other gen) they have most all the resources made already in XY. It'd be like a Transformers show making an entirely new season advertising none of the new toys out.
Kyurem Black and Kyurem White were first revealed through official artwork rather than just the anime artwork. Additionally, they were revealed side-by-side with Ash Greninja. Are you going to try to convince me that Ash Greninja will be in these games? I suppose they could always exclude Ash Greninja, but...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The anime is a shitty marketing tool first. They wouldn't reveal something unique like that if it wasn't in the games in some form, especially when the reveal came before its anime debut by 2 months.

The reveal artwork also looks like it was done by Sugimori, so there's that.

Last edited:
Kyurem Black and Kyurem White were first revealed through official artwork rather than just the anime artwork. Additionally, they were revealed side-by-side with Ash Greninja. Are you going to try to convince me that Ash Greninja will be in these games? I suppose they could always exclude Ash Greninja, but...
Dude. Vivillon has two event-exclusive patterns. They can easily release Ash Greninja and either make it unable to be traded to anything else in this generation or simply not recognized as a unique Greninja. I wouldn't use it as evidence that Zygarde Core, 10%, and Complete are anime exclusive. As for gen 4 and beyond remakes, Game Freak will make them if and when it wants to, and people will more than likely eat it up if they do in fact make them.
The anime is a shitty marketing tool first. They wouldn't reveal something unique like that if it wasn't in the games in some form, especially when the reveal came before its anime debut by 2 months.

The reveal artwork also looks like it was done by Masuda, so there's that.
Um, wouldn't it be Ken Sugimori, the guy who usually does the official artwork, and not Junichi Masuda?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

The reveal artwork also looks like it was done by Masuda, so there's that.
So what does that mean for Ash-Greninja?

That aside, the various Zygarde Formes have appeared outside of the anime so it's something from the games such as Tretta.

However I think we're getting off track, this is about Gen IV Remakes. I guess I'll start a discussion topic, how do you think they'll incorporate Mega Evolution into the story of Gen IV Remakes?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dude. Vivillon has two event-exclusive patterns. They can easily release Ash Greninja and either make it unable to be traded to anything else in this generation or simply not recognized as a unique Greninja. I wouldn't use it as evidence that Zygarde Core, 10%, and Complete are anime exclusive. As for gen 4 and beyond remakes, Game Freak will make them if and when it wants to, and people will more than likely eat it up if they do in fact make them.

Um, wouldn't it be Ken Sugimori, the guy who usually does the official artwork, and not Junichi Masuda?
Yeah I meant Ken Sugimori, I mixed them up because I was posting about Masuda in another website's forum earlier.

So what does that mean for Ash-Greninja?

That aside, the various Zygarde Formes have appeared outside of the anime so it's something from the games such as Tretta.

However I think we're getting off track, this is about Gen IV Remakes. I guess I'll start a discussion topic, how do you think they'll incorporate Mega Evolution into the story of Gen IV Remakes?
Basically ignore it for the most part outside of it being a gameplay mechanic, or have it tied to Zygarde in some convoluted way.

I doubt any story'll make a big deal out of mega evolution outside of Gen 6; anything beyond that and it'll get real old real fast unless they're actually going somewhere with it. I imagine each game after it will have some sort of thing shoehorned in to give you Mega Evolution; much like how they shoehorn in the time-space trio orbs, the gracidea, secret sword etc.
Except much worse.

Kinda didn't click with me until I read Kurona's above post about shoehorning things in, but the creation of Mega Evolution, even if they don't add any new Evos after this gen, will probably lead to a MASSIVE scavenger hunt in every game going forward to find all of them. Partially because I already know GF won't make it any simpler than it already is, because they hardly ever do that.

I remember when I was younger I used to think finding 50 TMs was a burdensome task...

Those event exclusive patterns were to celebrate the success of the GTS. Are you implying these Zygarde forms are event exclusive?

Ugh, why does everybody get on my case just for me saying I feel confident Z won't happen? I hear things I don't like all the time. Like there was a huge gas leak in CA that's currently spewing out 600,000 kg of methane gas into the atmosphere and I'm freaking out like everybody else kinda is about me thinking Zygarde forms are anime exclusive. By the way, that's ALL they've been being used for so far.

Reactions: JES
Those event exclusive patterns were to celebrate the success of the GTS. Are you implying these Zygarde forms are event exclusive?

Ugh, why does everybody get on my case just for me saying I feel confident Z won't happen? I hear things I don't like all the time. Like there was a huge gas leak in CA that's currently spewing out 600,000 kg of methane gas into the atmosphere and I'm freaking out like everybody else kinda is about me thinking Zygarde forms are anime exclusive. By the way, that's ALL they've been being used for so far.
Okay, dude, first of all; bit dark. We really don't need to know that sort of thing on a Pokémon forum discussing gen 4 remakes sad as it may be.
Second off, we're just giving evidence to support our side
Third of all, he wasn't saying anything would be event exclusive and was referring specifically to Ash-Greninja when talking about the Vivillon
Fourth, we're kind of moving on

Sorry if this post sounded a bit harsh but it kind of gets on my nerves when you'd bring up something in the news like that just to try and prove your point on a pokemon forum

Okay, dude, first of all; bit dark. We really don't need to know that sort of thing on a Pokémon forum discussing gen 4 remakes sad as it may be.
Second off, we're just giving evidence to support our side
Third of all, he wasn't saying anything would be event exclusive and was referring specifically to Ash-Greninja when talking about the Vivillon
Fourth, we're kind of moving on

Sorry if this post sounded a bit harsh but it kind of gets on my nerves when you'd bring up something in the news like that just to try and prove your point on a pokemon forum
I wasn't the one who wanted to discuss Pokemon Z...

Honestly...? I'd be down with a Gen IV remake, as long as it goes the Platinum route somehow. Seriously, I don't need Volkner to have a team with non-electric types in it. For shame. :P

But yeah, I have platinum, but never got around to beating it, so I kinda missed out on the whole distortion world thing, which sorta bums me out. And I can't bring myself to play it either, seeing as I've already been spoiled by infinite-use tms, faster loading times, higher quality music (I have sensitive ears okay!?), etc.

But will it happen? I'm leaning on the side of yes for the reasons already given, although the counter arguments given are most certainly convincing. That said, we only just got ORAS a year ago, and the next games will probably be XY-related (Z? X2Y2? Something else? I don't know.). After that, I don't really know what's gonna happen. Only way to find out is wait and see, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)