Gen IV NU RMT

Hi everybody. This is my first RMT, and in this case, it is a standard Gen IV NU team. The goal of this team is to be a balanced offensive team based around Specs Espeon. I have been very successful using this team in UU, and even sometimes in OU

Now, Here's the team:

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
Chlorophyll
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spd

Sleep Powder
Encore
Stun Spore
U-Turn

God, I love this thing. This has been the most effective anti-lead i've ever used. The idea behind it is to put the opponent's lead or switch in to sleep with Jumpluff's blistering speed. Then you stun other team members after sleep clause activates, encore to mess up anything that tries to set up on you, and U-Turn to get the hell out of there and do decent damage. Overall, this thing does a great job at stopping other leads from setting up rocks or statusing my team.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Flash Fire
68 HP, 220 SAtk, 220 Spd

Energy Ball
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Nasty Plot
Hidden Power Rock

Ninetales has many roles on my team. She can be my late game sweeper, absorb some special hits, and is the second part to my Fire-Water-Grass core. She has great synergy with jumpluff, as she can come in and nab a flash fire boost from a flamethrower aimed at jumpluff. Her moveset here gives perfect type coverage. Nasty Plot is to boost her decent special attack to tremendous levels. Fire Blast is the prefered option, as its sheer power cannot be turned down. However, flamethrower is also here if you prefer accuracy. Energy Ball and Hidden Power Rock are given for coverage.

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Synchronize
252 SAtk, 4 SDef, 252 Spd

Psychic
Signal Beam
Hidden Power Ground
Trick

Ahhh, Espeon. You have yet to fail me. You have an extreme 130 Base Special Attack and 110 Speed, and a respectable 95 SpDef. This thing is an absolute monster, and with that said, still remains to be amazingly cute. I have swept whole UU teams with it. Espeon with Specs rips anything that doesnt resist it to shreds with its STAB Psychic. Signal Beam and Hidden Power provide excellent coverage. Trick has helped me win some OU matches with this team, as Blissey, Skarmory, and Physical Sweepers do not enjoy receiving specs and getting little to no benefit from it. Espeon helps get me through those tough times.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
Water Absorb
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Atk,

Substitute
Focus Punch
Waterfall
Ice Punch/Encore

Poliwrath can due just about anything. It can play offensive, defensive, and support roles. This set mixes its offensive prowess with its good defenses. He also completes my Fire-Water-Grass core. To make it even better, he gets a phenomenal ability in Water Absorb. This set is a standard SubPunch set. Sub+Punch are a necessity. Waterfall for a powerful secondary STAB. Ive been running Ice Punch, but Ive rarely used it, so Im considering running Encore over it to just generally annoy. Please provide feedback on that

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
Levitate
4 Def, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd

Pain Split
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt

Haunter is a new addition to my team, taking the spot that formerly belonged to Skuntank. This Haunter is a standard SubSplit set. Haunter is kind of like an odd wallbreaker. He can use his low HP stat and Pain Split to do immense damage to enemy walls. Substitute is there to protect him from status and powerful attacks, as his defenses are extremely poor. Haunter also has an excellent Base 115 Special Attack, so he can also do major damage to enemies. Shadow Ball is Haunter's main STAB, while Thunderbolt is a powerful attack with decent coverage. Life Orb amplifies Haunters power. Haunter has proven to be more useful than Skuntank, and he is a good addition to this team

Regice @ Leftovers
Calm (+SpDef, -Atk)
Clear Body
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef

Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Rest
Sleep Talk

Regice is my Mixed wall, though it has a much higher SpDef. Regice has been extremely valuable to my team. It holds the team together when there is an opponent that is tough to handle. It even has a nifty base 100 SpAtk to go along with those defenses. Despite it being a wall, this thing can sweep. Once it gets off a Charge Beam or two, it can begin to attack at immense power, or rest off the damage. It just seems to never die. I highly recommend people use this pokemon in NU and even UU, despite its mediocre defensive typing and Stealth Rock weakness.

Former Team Members:

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Naive (+Spd, -SpDef) or Naughty (+Atk, -SpDef)
Aftermath
220 Atk, 32 SAtk, 252 Spd

Crunch
Explosion
Hidden Power Ground
Sucker Punch

Skuntank was my mixed wallbreaker, and he does a great job at it. The natures and EV's may look a little strange, but that's because I run Hidden Power Ground. Many physically defensive Steel types (I'm looking at you, Steelix) like to come in on Skuntank and try to wall him, but I just proceed to leave a huge dent in them with Hidden Power. The rest of the moveset is pretty standard. Sucker Punch for powerful priority, Crunch is if I dont feel like dealing with Sucker Punch mindgames, and Explosion to go out with a boom! He was replaced by SubSplit Haunter because of my fighting weakness, not much synergy with the team, and he ended up being death fodder a lot of the time.

This team has been very fun to use. Ive had some great wins with it, and its been a successful team. I'm gonna miss this team going into gen V, as espeon has gained a lot of usage and power thanks to is DW ability, Magic Mirror. Anyways, thanks for reading, and suggest any changes I can make in movepools, items, or pokemon.

NU is a metagame with a lot of Hitmonchan and Poliwraths.
You only have espeon to resist fight, however, it Defense is pathetic ( In addition, your Espeon cannot recover itself), so, Hitmonchan can destroy you. And Jumpluff to. However, Choice Band Hitmonchan 2HKO them. and Choice Scarf outspeed both, make 2HKO on Espeon, and destroy Jumpluff with Ice Punch.

So... I think you can replace Espeon or Hypno.
Try the Smogon set, In Addition, Wish can help your team, and have and status move like Toxic/ThunderWave can also, make an easier sweep from Poliwrath and Skuntank.

Good team, its hard to rate NU teams since its so 'random' with the pokes you may run into. I'd recommend to get a better type synergy. You can use the Marriland team builder to check where your weak points are.

You don't have a single normal resist on this whole team, which can be problematic. For example:

CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Jumpluff: 79%-93%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Ninetales: 90%-105%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Espeon: 94%-111%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Poliwrath: 57%-67%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Skuntank: 82-97%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Regice: 45%-54%

After Stealth Rock damage, he OHKOs your ENTIRE TEAM except for Poliwrath and Regice, neither of which can really threaten him (Because Poliwrath's only fighting move is Focus Punch) or switch in safely, because he 2HKOs both comfortably. The best you can hope for is a Speed tie with Espeon. What's worse, he's far from the only Normal type in NU. Persian, for example, outspeeds your whole team and can wreak havok with U-Turn and Fake Out. You need a Steel, a Ghost, or a revenge killer, probably over Skuntank.

EDIT: I'm adding some calcs for you to see how your team members who aren't OHKOd fare against Tauros offensively:

Poliwrath's Waterfall vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros: 38%-45%
Poliwrath's Waterfall vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros after Intimidate:26%-30%
Regice's Ice Beam vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros: 47%-55%
Regice's +1 Ice Beam vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros:70-83%

TheSpecialOne

formerly Santuga
Just one question. If you want to take on steel types with Skuntank, why don't you use Flamethrower instead of HP ground?

I agree with using flamethrower or fire blast on skunktank as they have more damage output than HP ground and you get perfect ivs.
I dont think you should replace crunch to be honest but you could try out pursuit to catch pokemon on the switch although I still think crunch is better.

I agree with using flamethrower or fire blast on skunktank as they have more damage output than HP ground and you get perfect ivs.
I dont think you should replace crunch to be honest but you could try out pursuit to catch pokemon on the switch although I still think crunch is better.
Indeed, flamethrower/fire blast gets the job done on steel types and will be much more affective against opposing fighting types. Right now, the only option your Skunktank really has against opposing fighting types (such as Poliwrath, the Hitmon-trio who as mentionned before will practically rape your team, ...) is explode, since they resist Dark and HP ground isn't all that powerful.
Crunch can be replaced by a STAB Poison Jab, although it has few coverage, it will hurt a lot more to Fighting-types without losing your Skunktank. I personally adore Skunktank and it's a shame it has such a shallow movepool.

You don't have a single normal resist on this whole team, which can be problematic. For example:

CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Jumpluff: 79%-93%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Ninetales: 90%-105%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Espeon: 94%-111%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Poliwrath: 57%-67%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Skuntank: 82-97%
CB Jolly Tauros Return vs. Regice: 45%-54%

After Stealth Rock damage, he OHKOs your ENTIRE TEAM except for Poliwrath and Regice, neither of which can really threaten him (Because Poliwrath's only fighting move is Focus Punch) or switch in safely, because he 2HKOs both comfortably. The best you can hope for is a Speed tie with Espeon. What's worse, he's far from the only Normal type in NU. Persian, for example, outspeeds your whole team and can wreak havok with U-Turn and Fake Out. You need a Steel, a Ghost, or a revenge killer, probably over Skuntank.

EDIT: I'm adding some calcs for you to see how your team members who aren't OHKOd fare against Tauros offensively:

Poliwrath's Waterfall vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros: 38%-45%
Poliwrath's Waterfall vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros after Intimidate:26%-30%
Regice's Ice Beam vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros: 47%-55%
Regice's +1 Ice Beam vs. Jolly 4/0 Tauros:70-83%
This is the best suggestion yet. I think i should replace skuntank with a ghost, as my team is already fairly vulnerable to fighting types, which a steel/rock would add another weakness to. I'm debating between a SubSplit Haunter or a Mixed Drifblim. Any suggestions on the ghost to use?

P.S.
Sorry for double posting, but I'm also considering replacing poliwrath, despite its useful role on the team. I'm at a blank on who to replace with, so a suggestion would be nice on that subject, too!!

This is the best suggestion yet. I think i should replace skuntank with a ghost, as my team is already fairly vulnerable to fighting types, which a steel/rock would add another weakness to. I'm debating between a SubSplit Haunter or a Mixed Drifblim. Any suggestions on the ghost to use?
It depends on if you want a super-offensive team or a more balanced one. Haunter is the better offensive option, with a better Speed and Sp. Attack. Drifblim fills a more defensive role with Aftermath and its higher HP. However, if you go with Drifblim, I'd go entirely special as opposed to mixed because of his low offensive stats.

As for Poliwrath, I actually wouldn't change him out unless he's seriously struggling. He is one of the best Waters in NU, and is your only Water check besides the very frail Jumpluff. That leaves you open to Water/Ice types, such as Lapras, who can OHKO Jumpluff with Ice Shard and Dragon Dance up for the sweep. Therefore, I'd use another Water-type in his place if you do replace him, such as Wailord, or Politoed. Speaking of Lapras, She'd make a good choice too.

Maybe Slowking would be useful for replacing Poliwrath asit adds a fighting resist which you previously stated you were vunerable too.
You would then have a bit of a bug problem which is why I support using a ghost instead of skunktank. I would personally use drifblim as its a lot bulkier than haunter but choose whichever you think fits your team best.

The one thing I do worry about when replacing these pokemon is that without Skuntank, Poliwrath will be my only real physical attacker. I've been thinking and Poliwrath's staying. Should i switch Regice for Regirock or leave Regice?

P.S. I'm testing a couple of different Haunter sets right now, including SubSplit, Destiny Bond Annoyer, and All-Out Sp. Attacker

No, keep Regice. Regirock needs Sandstorm to reach its full potential, and Regice is your only special sponge. If you want a physical attacker, go with the rarely-seen Entei. Entei has the same fire typing as Ninetales, but has a much better attacking stat, much more bulk, and arguably the best priority move in Extremespeed. here's the set:

Entei@Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Nature, 252 Att, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Flare Blitz
Extremespeed
Stone Edge
HP Grass/Iron Head

Adamant is recommended because Entei already outspeeds most NU pokemon. HP Grass hits Rocks and Gastrodon hard, but Iron Head can be used if you don't want any special attacks.

On a different note, I've been thinking about it and I think that Haunter is the better ghost choice. With Drifblim, you would have a whopping four SR weaknesses and no Rapid Spinner. Jumpluff does a good job at stopping SR leads, but four Rock weaknesses is never a good thing.

After testing, I have decided on replacing skuntank with a SubSplit Haunter. It works much better. However, now i only have one physical attacker.

No, keep Regice. Regirock needs Sandstorm to reach its full potential, and Regice is your only special sponge. If you want a physical attacker, go with the rarely-seen Entei. Entei has the same fire typing as Ninetales, but has a much better attacking stat, much more bulk, and arguably the best priority move in Extremespeed. here's the set:

Entei@Life Orb
Flare Blitz
Extremespeed
Stone Edge
HP Grass/Iron Head

Adamant is recommended because Entei already outspeeds most NU pokemon. HP Grass hits Rocks and Gastrodon hard, but Iron Head can be used if you don't want any special attacks.

On a different note, I've been thinking about it and I think that Haunter is the better ghost choice. With Drifblim, you would have a whopping four SR weaknesses and no Rapid Spinner. Jumpluff does a good job at stopping SR leads, but four Rock weaknesses is never a good thing.
I play on Shoddy, and Entei cannot learn Flare Blitz or Extremespeed on any of the current servers. So Entei will not work. However, I do need another physical attacker, so please make a suggestion.

I believe that you should keep Poliwrath as without it, you can fall pretty easily to Crawdaunt.
I'm sorry to anyone that does, but Crawdaunt is rarely seen and espeon can outspeed and OHKO with signal beam, so he's never going to be a problem.

2sly4u, you have inspired me, and I am currently testing a Choice Band Tauros over Ninetales, as I only have one Physical Attacker and Ninetales is rather weak even with a NP. Tauros also helps with reducing my rock weakness, though he adds a fighting weakness :P.

I play on Shoddy, and Entei cannot learn Flare Blitz or Extremespeed on any of the current servers. So Entei will not work. However, I do need another physical attacker, so please make a suggestion.

Could move over to Pokemon Lab, you can use Flare Blitz and Extremespeed there, as well as the other Shiny Beasts and Celebi.
Just a suggestion if you want to try it.
Want me to fetch a link?

Entei@Life Orb
Flare Blitz
Extremespeed
Stone Edge
HP Grass/Iron Head

Entei can't be Jolly and have Flare Blitz or Extremespeed. Always Adamant, though.

Could move over to Pokemon Lab, you can use Flare Blitz and Extremespeed there, as well as the other Shiny Beasts and Celebi.
Just a suggestion if you want to try it.
Want me to fetch a link?
Is Pokemon Lab compatible with Macs? The only reason i'm still on shoddy is that I cant get Pokemon Online (I have a mac that doesnt have intel processor).... Could you put up a link for Pokemon Lab and I'll check it out??

Entei can't be Jolly and have Flare Blitz or Extremespeed. Always Adamant, though.
Thanks for the correction. Good to know :)

@Typhoon: I wouldn't worry about the additional fighting weakness. You have enough resists/immunities that I don't think it will be a problem.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
after regice dies, you get dominated by espeon, since most are scarf it outspeeds everything and almost kills with psychic/shadowball, i would have to run calcs to be shure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)