Gen Six Stall (AKA the rage quitters)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DITTO HEATRAN BLISSEY CRESSELIA MANDIBUZZ SUICUNE

Stalling in Gen six. So far, there hasn't been too much of this, at least not when I'm on Showdown. In fact, looking through other recent RMT's, I couldn't find more than a few stall teams on there, so I decided to come in with my own. The basic idea revolves around a new type of stall. The problem is, hazards are yesterday's news. Rapid spin and defog are everywhere, and all of the old stall teams had stealth rocks, spikes, and maybe some toxic spikes too. Now all hazards are taken out fairly quickly, so I set out to make a stall team that didn't rely too heavily on hazards like so many others have. Instead, I rely on switching counters in with or without stealth rocks, spamming status, and even attacking back sometimes. This concept may sound a little stupid at first, but it easily took my completely wrecked account with tons of losses from weird custom sets to 1710 on Showdown, and I am still going up steadily with no signs of slowing down. Also, this team has no specific lead, it all depends on the team preview. Therefore, no need to assume that any pokemon goes in any particular order. Without further ado, the all stars of this stall team:

Volcanion (Heatran) Leftovers

Flash Fire

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Spd, 4 Spa

-Stealth Rock
-Lava Plume
-Protect
-Roar

I know, I know. As soon as I say no entry hazards, I have stealth rocks right up front. However, this is the only hazard on the team, and they come in handy if I can eliminate that Blastoise, Tentacruel, or whatever the opponent has. Lava plume and protect go great together because I can burn the opponent (unless somebody else has already used toxic on it) and stall them out effectively, and a phasing move is always useful. Heatran is perfect to wall some of the all too common threats in this gen so far: Talonflame, Genesect, Mega Charizard Y (X usually has Earthquake), and plenty of other things not ready for my unique typing. Great synergy in general because I have only one Pokemon to take a toxic and everybody is neutral to fire moves. He is beat by Earth Power Heatran, but my next Poke takes care of that nicely…

Ignorance (Blissey) Leftovers

Natural Cure

EVs: 252 Def, 252 SpD, 4 HP

-Toxic
-Softboiled
-Heal Bell
-Seismic Toss

This is only a standard Blissey set straight out of Smogon. I know that this might not be the most original pokemon. BUT IT WORKS SO WELL. We all know what Blissey does, and we all hate what it does, so I don't need to go into too much detail here. I decided to forgo Protect for Heal Bell because it is just far more useful in the long run, and I run Seismic Toss over another attack just so I can hit everything. This does leave it wide open for Aegislash or Gengar, but Blissey wasn't going to stay out against them anyway. One final note: All of those focus energy Kingdra running around lately? Blissey out stalls them without a problem. Switch in on focus energy, throw out a toxic, take about 40% from Draco Meteor, spam Softboiled. Works every time if I have >90% health. I love Blissey.

3rd Quarter (Cresselia) Leftovers

Levitate

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD

-Thunder Wave
-Moonlight
-Psychic
-Ice Beam

This guy. This crazy guy. For one, he finally took Venomoth's personal tier away from him in the BL2 section. For the life of me, I can't fathom why Cresselia isn't even in the UU tier. His bulk is simply insane, he has a nice support move pool, and even his lackluster typing doesn't hurt him too much in my eyes. After all, even Genesect's U-turn barely gets above 50% damage. I have seen more dual screens Cresselia, but this set works much better for the team. Thunder Wave is a great counter to the mega evolutions that are so common now, as even powerhouses like Kangaskhan can't do too much once paralysis kicks in. Moonlight makes for great recovery, while my two attacking moves make this guy the best on my team for absorbing taunts. The ice beam is carried over any other moves to stem the Landorus and Gliscor plagues that seem to haunt my team. Other than that, Cresselia functions as my best mixed wall, physical wall, and just general stall in general, and his only problem is the fact that moonlight's pp maxes out at 8.

Nestor (Mandibuzz) Leftovers

Overcoat

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe

-Toxic
-Roost
-Knock Off
-Defog

This guy is not going to stay NU in Gen 6 for one reason: Defog. The new method of removing entry hazards has proved invaluable to my team, as this spot went to Tentacruel, Donphan, Hitmontop, Cloyster, and even Avalugg before I realized how nice defog would be. My team is constantly switching, and all I might remove that I put up are my own Heatran's stealth rocks, which are not essential. I carry knock off over foul play because of its buffed power and excellent utility, and my only disappointment with this guy is that I ran out of space for taunt. Seriously, where else could you find a flying type that can remove hazards, knock off items, toxic opponents, and still take just about 30% from a typical Garchomp's Stone Edge?

718 (Ditto) @Choice Scarf

Imposter

EVs: 252 HP

-Transform

This probably seems like a weird choice, especially for a stall team. However, I would hazard to say that Ditto is the glue that holds this team together (never mind, that brings up some awful imagery). Seriously though, all stall teams hate boosting sweepers. There is only one way a typical stall team could get rid of them, and that's toxic stall. Realistically though, that fails against steel types, substitutes, lum berries, etc. So that's why I have Ditto, who can beat/ force out practically any boosting sweeper, with the occasional exception of Swords Dance and King's Shield Aegislash. Even if they don't boost, it can be pretty disconcerting for a stall team to suddenly come at you with your own Mega Lucario, Infernape, Dragonite, etc. Ditto is just invaluable. And by the way, the nickname refers to the 718 out of 721 Pokemon he can copy (including Diancie Hoopla and Volcanion, not including Zorua, Zoroark, and other Ditto).

Fabulous (Suicune) Leftovers

Pressure

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA

-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Scald

My boosting sweeper, and he's stally too! Everybody knows CroCune, he's been around since ADV. Boost, recover, boost, recover, attack. This is my other really standard set, and for anybody who needs specific details on it, here's Smogon's idea on it: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/suicune. Other than that, all I can say is that it's really fun to watch a pokemon like Mega Tyranitar get easily out stalled due to its attacks being too weak. CroCune is back, and it's looking for revenge!

All I can say in closing in this: My team does not rely on specific type synergies. It does not need layers upon layers of entry hazards. It just relies on out bulking the opponent (or even the not-so-occaisional rage quit). And it does its job pretty darn well.

Specific problems with the team: Toxic Stalling Gliscor, all three magic bouncers, prankstermons other than Whimsicott (not afraid of taunt, encore, or leech seed) or Sableye (Heatran absorbs Will-O-Wisps and Toxics).

Please tell me anything I can do to improve this team before I take this Smogon fantasy and put it into real life on my copy of Pokemon Y.

Threat list:
Other Blissey and Chansey. They can swallow status and are hard for me to hit. Celebi is also worth mentioning here, especially if it has the heal bell.

Gliscor. Without Suicune, I am hard pressed to bear toxic stalling.

VoltTurn. My team is made up of walls which counter unique threats. If my opponent keeps switching, then all I can do is wait for residual damage or predict very well.

Last edited:
dissapointed to see only one 6th gen pokemon, but if you are more comfortable running these mons then by all means. That being said I think a pokemon that you should switch out is suicune for this clefable set I have been working on.

Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 12 SpAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Cosmic Power
Moonblast
Stored Power
Aromatherapy/soft-boiled

The ability allows you to safely switch in on something with a swords dance or dragon dance and completely negate those attack boosts, while at the same time bulking your self up as much as you want to tank any hit in the game with ease. moonblast will usually OHKO a sableye that may try and taunt you which is usually unexpected but it is not a very reliable ohko bu it will definitely force a switch. As for the last move slot it depends on how you team functions and whether or not you think healing your team statuses is more important than improoving clefables longevity.

Let me emphasize THIS is your late game sweeper, once the few threats this thing faces are out of the way(scizor lucario, venesaur, gengar) you can just set up and sweep, best of all is when people see you set up they start setting up swords dances, completely unaware of unaware(intentional pun). So yeah give it a shot and let me know cheers.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the idea, but I think that you underestimate Suicune. I have had many clutch victories with him, and Clefable just isn't bulky enough for me. Just look at the comparative stats, let alone his battling function, and you'll see what I mean. If yours works for you, great! But this one was pretty easy for me to throw out after just a couple of battles.

Fighting looks like an issue and clerics seem to wreck your strategy. Terrakion specifically wrecks you. Taunt would probably be a good idea on either Heatran or Mandibuzz, but I'd make sure you still have Roar or Whirlwind on either one, due in part to my next suggestion.
You should ditch Ditto for Scarf Jirachi. Ditto is an okay revenge killer, but you should be able to deal with set-up sweepers through taunt and roar/whirlwind. Jirachi also covers the fighting types that hurt your team, and helps deal with Dragon types that you don't have a solid answer to.
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
Adamant/Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-U-Turn
-Iron Head/Fire Punch/Trick

Adamant and Jolly is more geared towards what you want to deal with better- Jolly ties Scarf Salamence, +1 Volcarona, and other base 100 scarfers or set-up sweepers at +1. Adamant is used for more power. If you want Steel coverage with more power, you can use Meteor Mash over Iron Head. Fire Punch deals with steels, and Trick is used to still cripple set-up sweepers.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I saw a stall team, and I just felt I had to try and rate it. So here goes nothing.

I love that you too have noticed hazards are just not cutting it. Stall has taken 3 huge hits this gen, which can divided into the following:
1: Intro to OP megas: Megas like luke, pinsir, heracross, and garchomp have ridiculous wallbreaking power. It's tough to deal with them
2: Nerf to steel: Sure, they got a new fairy resistance, but losing resistances to ghost/dark is MUCH MUCH more important. Common cores like celetran, ferrocent, and jellitran just fall apart to powerful ghost/dark attackers like aegislash and bisharp.
3: Nerf to hazards: This was more or less stall's main method of damaging, and with the new defog, you can't even block it. You're forced to rely on status and if the opposing team has a cleric with healing, like sylveon, stall teams will have a lot of trouble.

You have, more or less, prepared for all of these. The simple intro to ditto makes your stall so much more threatening, I really, really applaud your use of that. You have #1 crossed off. But, while this is a little unorthodox, I would recommend choice scarf-->focus sash. One of the main reasons ditto is flawed is because as long as you predict the correct move, the opponent can deal with it easily. With focus sash, you still make the opponent risk the speed tie, but being able to switch moves in absolutely invaluable. The risk<reward in this case imo by far. give it a try.

As for #2, you have mandibuzz, and a heatran to answer to fairies. That's what I like to see on stall teams, its stuff like this that makes me happy. A successful defensive team that thrives in an offensive tier, marvelous. But you may want to consider Taunt. This would help you out against opposing stall a lot more than toxic, but I can understand that toxic has its merits too. Try both, see what works best.

And finally, the condition #3, the one most stall teams struggle with imo: bulky opposing clerics. This one wrecks any status damage you may have had racking up, and since hazards aren't that big, you basically have to force through pokemon like sylveon with brute force. On a stall team. Yeah, this guy gives defensive teams troubles.
BUT, you have prepared for that as well.
A Crocune set is perfect. As long as there are no crits, he makes a perfect fit into your team. Honestly, Crocune can handle all the "threats" to your stall team mentioned. With rest, you can stall out toxic+eq from gliscor with ease. Out of the three magic bouncers, only mega absol really gives you trouble, and really, there's not much you can do. That thing is basically designed to break stall, I don't blame you. I think sableye you can deal with as well, as just one well-timed toxic just makes it useless. I think you can deal with it.
And more importantly, the problem I mentioned (sylveon) is more or less handled by Crocune as well. It's basically forced to switch out since once you have one calm mind under your belt, you can take its hyper voices, and it has to switch out. Really great idea.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how far this stall team gets, good luck!

MZ

Fighting looks like an issue and clerics seem to wreck your strategy. Terrakion specifically wrecks you. Taunt would probably be a good idea on either Heatran or Mandibuzz, but I'd make sure you still have Roar or Whirlwind on either one, due in part to my next suggestion.
You should ditch Ditto for Scarf Jirachi. Ditto is an okay revenge killer, but you should be able to deal with set-up sweepers through taunt and roar/whirlwind. Jirachi also covers the fighting types that hurt your team, and helps deal with Dragon types that you don't have a solid answer to.
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
Adamant/Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-U-Turn
-Iron Head/Fire Punch/Trick

Adamant and Jolly is more geared towards what you want to deal with better- Jolly ties Scarf Salamence, +1 Volcarona, and other base 100 scarfers or set-up sweepers at +1. Adamant is used for more power. If you want Steel coverage with more power, you can use Meteor Mash over Iron Head. Fire Punch deals with steels, and Trick is used to still cripple set-up sweepers.

Thanks a lot for the input, but you don't really seem to understand why Ditto is so good. First of all stuff like dragon dance dragonite with EQ and fire punch could wreck my team in your situation, and that's pretty common. Phasing is simply not good enough with all of these powerful mega evolutions that are immune to trick. Ditto needs to kill them off immediately, or get something else. That would have been great last gen, but Ditto is way too invaluable. If I saved my replays, I could show you, but trust me when I say that Jirachi just wouldn't cut it.
I saw a stall team, and I just felt I had to try and rate it. So here goes nothing.

I love that you too have noticed hazards are just not cutting it. Stall has taken 3 huge hits this gen, which can divided into the following:
1: Intro to OP megas: Megas like luke, pinsir, heracross, and garchomp have ridiculous wallbreaking power. It's tough to deal with them
2: Nerf to steel: Sure, they got a new fairy resistance, but losing resistances to ghost/dark is MUCH MUCH more important. Common cores like celetran, ferrocent, and jellitran just fall apart to powerful ghost/dark attackers like aegislash and bisharp.
3: Nerf to hazards: This was more or less stall's main method of damaging, and with the new defog, you can't even block it. You're forced to rely on status and if the opposing team has a cleric with healing, like sylveon, stall teams will have a lot of trouble.

You have, more or less, prepared for all of these. The simple intro to ditto makes your stall so much more threatening, I really, really applaud your use of that. You have #1 crossed off. But, while this is a little unorthodox, I would recommend choice scarf-->focus sash. One of the main reasons ditto is flawed is because as long as you predict the correct move, the opponent can deal with it easily. With focus sash, you still make the opponent risk the speed tie, but being able to switch moves in absolutely invaluable. The risk<reward in this case imo by far. give it a try.

As for #2, you have mandibuzz, and a heatran to answer to fairies. That's what I like to see on stall teams, its stuff like this that makes me happy. A successful defensive team that thrives in an offensive tier, marvelous. But you may want to consider Taunt. This would help you out against opposing stall a lot more than toxic, but I can understand that toxic has its merits too. Try both, see what works best.

And finally, the condition #3, the one most stall teams struggle with imo: bulky opposing clerics. This one wrecks any status damage you may have had racking up, and since hazards aren't that big, you basically have to force through pokemon like sylveon with brute force. On a stall team. Yeah, this guy gives defensive teams troubles.
BUT, you have prepared for that as well.
A Crocune set is perfect. As long as there are no crits, he makes a perfect fit into your team. Honestly, Crocune can handle all the "threats" to your stall team mentioned. With rest, you can stall out toxic+eq from gliscor with ease. Out of the three magic bouncers, only mega absol really gives you trouble, and really, there's not much you can do. That thing is basically designed to break stall, I don't blame you. I think sableye you can deal with as well, as just one well-timed toxic just makes it useless. I think you can deal with it.
And more importantly, the problem I mentioned (sylveon) is more or less handled by Crocune as well. It's basically forced to switch out since once you have one calm mind under your belt, you can take its hyper voices, and it has to switch out. Really great idea.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how far this stall team gets, good luck!

Focus sash ditto is not reuseable, and plenty of times I can't get rid of hazards. Also, predicting the right move is not usually a problem. That only comes into play with Aegislash who I can deal with in several different ways, and boosters with sucker punch. Unfortunately, I can't put an inferior item on just for sucker punch boosters, even Khan and Absol. I like the idea of putting taunt on Heatran (roar doesn't cut it most of the time), so that could be very useful, and I will definitely try it. Thanks a lot for the input.

eviolite chansey > blissey
blissey was only better when sand was common (that was the general consensus but i still believed chansey was better)

MZ

eviolite chansey > blissey
blissey was only better when sand was common (that was the general consensus but i still believed chansey was better)
Thanks for the advice. I was only using Blissey at first for wish passing. Now that I feel I don't need it, the argument is really close. However, on the majority of turns, people switch out against Blissey to something more physical, or don't even do enough damage. With a team like mine, the leftovers utility simply beats out the bulk, despite my lack of protect. However, I do know that it's really close, and I may change that eventually.

Besides, I love that nickname too much ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)